UConn's 5-year Post Recruiting Drought | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's 5-year Post Recruiting Drought

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe his greatest team ever didn't have a post either, at least a starting post. The 2001 team...Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tamika Williams, Aisha Jones, and Taurasi. Ashley Battle was first off the bench IIRC. He had Jessica Moore who was a redshirt freshman that he was bringing along slowly because of a prior torn ACL. Moore did play a lot the following year as did 6'3" freshman Ann Strother, after the FAB four graduated.
I agree that team did not have a true post, but the trio of Cash, Williams & Jones were fierce rebounders and defenders who would typically outplay much bigger opponents. It was like having 3 Morgan Tucks on the same team.

Reaction Score
I agree that team did not have a true post, but the trio of Cash, Williams & Jones were fierce rebounders and defenders who would typically outplay much bigger opponents. It was like having 3 Morgan Tucks on the same team.
Agree with you there, they certainly were not Gabby finesse type players. Especially Tamika who was immovable under the basket. Anyone recall the draft break down of those four? 1, 2, 3, and 5? Or am I wrong.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment. It is noteworthy that during the 5 years after Stewie, the only 2 post players that UConn appeared to go hard after were consensus #1’s Wilson & Cox.

2013 Taya Reimer, Erica McCall, Stephanie Mavunga
2014 Brianna Turner, Kathryn Westbeld
2015 Kalani Brown
2016 Erin Boley
2017 Jada Williams
Are all players Uconn had an interest in, all players just picked another school.

Looking at it now 2016 an offer to Felicia Aiyeotan the 6’9 girl now at UVA wouldn’t have been a bad idea.

Reaction Score
So, where are all these folks who can take over the post position?

-Quite a few very athletic tall young woman are now playing volleyball, according to reports that we've all read.
- A lot of very tall young ladies, a la Stewie, play all over the court and don't want to be defined as centers.
- Teams like UConn and Notre Dame demand a fair amount of basketball IQ in their centers.
If I recall correctly, Aja Wilson said during her recruiting that she didn't want to be a back to the basket center confined to the middle.
Azura also imagined herself as a more capable outside player than she was - she shot only .176 from 3-pt. range.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
2015 Kalani Brown
2016 Erin Boley
2017 Jada Williams
Are all players Uconn had an interest in, all players just picked another school.

Looking at it now 2016 an offer to Felicia Aiyeotan the 6’9 girl now at UVA wouldn’t have been a bad idea.
While I appreciate the list, the ultimate question is not whether UConn had an interest in other post players, but whether or not they offered them scholarships.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agree with you there, they certainly were not Gabby finesse type players. Especially Tamika who was immovable under the basket. Anyone recall the draft break down of those four? 1, 2, 3, and 5? Or am I wrong.
1. Sue Bird
2. Swin Cash
4. Asjha Jones
6. Tamika Williams

3. Stacey Dales
5. Nikki Teasley

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was told by a highly respected AAU coach that Stef was good enough to be a valuable role player at UConn. A lot of smart folks didn’t see her postential as a high schooler
Eh, every once in awhile I get one right. :cool:

Reaction Score
While I appreciate the list, the ultimate question is not whether UConn had an interest in other post players, but whether or not they offered them scholarships.
Turner and Boley were offered. Don't know about the others on that list.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I feel like post players often develop later than guards/wings--so have much more potential for "diamond in the rough" finds. Examples off the top of my head:

Teaira McCowan (Hoopgurlz #45)
Megan Gustafson (Hoopgurlz #80)
Stefanie Dolson (Hoopgurlz #40)

And to go way back to the Big East days, I believe both Rebekkah Brunson and Ruth Riley were fairly unheralded coming out of HS?

@bbsamjj , with all due respect, I recommend looking at more recruiting rankings than just Hoopgurlz. Before 2013, ESPN/Hoopgurlz was done by Chris Hansen and others; they moved on and have been with Prospects Nation since 2013. Now, ESPN's rankings (2013 onward) are snapshots of Dan Olson's rankings.

But here are the recruiting rankings for the players you mentioned, with the respective years of high school graduation.

Stefanie Dolson (2010)
#12 - ASGR
#24 - Blue Star
#39 - ESPN Hoopgurlz

Teaira McCowan (2015)
#15 - Blue Star
#16 - ASGR
#28 - Prospects Nation
#46 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report

Megan Gustafson (2015)
#81 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report
#84 - Prospects Nation
Not in the Top 100 - ASGR
Not in the Top 300 - Blue Star

Rebekkah Brunson (2000)
#18 - ASGR
#45 - Blue Star

Ruth Riley (1997)
#53 - Blue Star
Unable to find ASGR rankings in my archives; tried a few Google searches, to no avail

@bbsamjj , there are more national recruiting services and rankings this decade than during the Riley/Brunson high school years. If a player is ranked in the Top 20 by a national recruiting service, I am not sure if that qualifies as a "diamond in the rough." Just my personal definition, but I recognize that it may not be yours and that we may have differing viewpoints.

But your point about Megan Gustafson certainly holds true.

I have had many conversations (on the phone and via text) with @ucbart , @EricLA , and others about recruiting. And @HuskyNan can attest to this herself. Some rankings are based on where players are. Some include an allotment for potential/ceiling. Some are based on one viewing; others are based upon seeing a player several times.

But I thought your point about post players developing later (and finding a "diamond in the rough") was interesting, so here are the recruiting rankings for other post players, for comparison:

Azurá Stevens (2014)
#23 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report
#27 - ASGR
#41 - Prospects Nation
#51 - Blue Star

Alexis Jennings (2014)
#35 - ASGR
#37 - Blue Star
#66 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report
#100 - Prospects Nation

Isabella Aalarie (2016)
#83 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report
#161 - Blue Star
Not in the Top 150 - Prospects Nation
Unable to find ASGR rankings in my archives; tried a few Google searches, to no avail

NOTE: Alarie just finished her sophomore year at Princeton. She was a member of the 2017 USA Women's U19 World Cup Team. She was the 2017-18 Ivy League POY and Ivy League Tournament MOP; she also made First Team All-Ivy in both her freshman and sophomore seasons. For her two-year Princeton career, she is averaging 13 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.2 apg, and 2.2 bpg, while shooting 46% from the floor, 36% from three, and 73% from the line. And in this year's NCAA Tournament, she put up 12 points (5-12 shooting), 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds in the loss to Maryland; she also put up big numbers against Villanova, Georgia Tech, Rutgers, Quinnipiac, and George Washington during the non-conference season.

I am mentioning Alarie because she wanted to come to Duke. Her father, Mark Alarie, played at Duke; he was part of Coach K's first big recruiting class in the 1980s. Mark Alarie was a two-time All-ACC first team selection, was drafted in the first round of the 1986 NBA Draft, and played in the NBA for five seasons.

Isabella Alarie committed to Princeton over Harvard, Penn and Michigan. But back when she was being recruited:
Mark Alarie quietly hoped his alma mater, Duke, would get involved considering he took Bella to the school’s basketball camp every summer as she grew up.

“But we haven’t even gotten a letter,” he said, not hiding his disappointment .

With everything Joanne P. McCallie is losing this year to graduation, think Coach P could use a player like Alarie?

I was told by a highly respected AAU coach that Stef was good enough to be a valuable role player at UConn. A lot of smart folks didn’t see her postential as a high schooler

I remember having a conversation with @HuskyNan about what the AAU coach said about Dolson during Dolson's freshman season (when @HuskyNan and I were at the UConn/Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl together in January 2011).

To me, Dolson was like Alison Bales. Good size in the post. Fluid movement in post moves. Not the fleetest of foot, which both players corrected in their respective upperclass years, through increased focus on fitness. Good range on their shots, using mid-range, elbow jumpers, and 15"-18" shots even more in their junior and senior seasons (and in Stef's case, three-point abilities in her junior and senior seasons).

It might have been hard for some (including this AAU coach) to see the potential for development, but it took the right coaches (Gail Goestenkors for Alison Bales; Geno Auriemma for Stefanie Dolson) to help their respective players achieve their ceilings and improve year after year. Of course, though AAU coaches may see tons of players, they are also not professional talent evaluators.

With Bales and Dolson, the basic tools (shooting, post moves, passing, reading defenses, etc. were there; it just took increased fitness, increased confidence, using an expanded offensive arsenal, and playing within a team concept while recognizing the need to step and take over - and having the ability to do so.

Reaction Score
@bbsamjj , with all due respect, I recommend looking at more recruiting rankings than just Hoopgurlz. Before 2013, ESPN/Hoopgurlz was done by Chris Hansen and others; they moved on and have been with Prospects Nation since 2013. Now, ESPN's rankings (2013 onward) are snapshots of Dan Olson's rankings.

But here are the recruiting rankings for the players you mentioned, with the respective years of high school graduation.

Stefanie Dolson (2010)
#12 - ASGR
#24 - Blue Star
#39 - ESPN Hoopgurlz

Teaira McCowan (2015)
#15 - Blue Star
#16 - ASGR
#28 - Prospects Nation
#46 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report

Megan Gustafson (2015)
#81 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report
#84 - Prospects Nation
Not in the Top 100 - ASGR
Not in the Top 300 - Blue Star

Rebekkah Brunson (2000)
#18 - ASGR
#45 - Blue Star

Ruth Riley (1997)
#53 - Blue Star

@bbsamjj , there are more national recruiting services and rankings this decade than during the Riley/Brunson high school years. If a player is ranked in the Top 20 by a national recruiting service, I am not sure if that qualifies as a "diamond in the rough." Just my personal definition, but I recognize that it may not be yours and that we may have differing viewpoints.

But your point about Megan Gustafson certainly holds true.

I have had many conversations (on the phone and via text) with @ucbart , @EricLA , and others about recruiting. And @HuskyNan can attest to this herself. Some rankings are based on where players are. Some include an allotment for potential/ceiling. Some are based on one viewing; others are based upon seeing a player several times.

But I thought your point about post players developing later (and finding a "diamond in the rough") was interesting, so here are the recruiting rankings for other post players, for comparison:

Azurá Stevens (2014)
#23 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report
#27 - ASGR
#41 - Prospects Nation
#51 - Blue Star

Alexis Jennings (2014)
#35 - ASGR
#37 - Blue Star
#66 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report
#100 - Prospects Nation

Isabella Aalarie (2016)
#83 - Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report
#161 - Blue Star
Not in the Top 150 - Prospects Nation

NOTE: Alarie just finished her sophomore year at Princeton. She was a member of the 2017 USA Women's U19 World Cup Team. She was the 2017-18 Ivy League POY and Ivy League Tournament MOP; she also made First Team All-Ivy in both her freshman and sophomore seasons. For her two-year Princeton career, she is averaging 13 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.2 apg, and 2.2 bpg, while shooting 46% from the floor, 36% from three, and 73% from the line. And in this year's NCAA Tournament, she put up 12 points (5-12 shooting), 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds in the loss to Maryland; she also put up big numbers against Villanova, Georgia Tech, Rutgers, Quinnipiac, and George Washington during the non-conference season.

I am mentioning Alarie because she wanted to come to Duke. Her father, Mark Alarie, played at Duke; he was part of Coach K's first big recruiting class in the 1980s. Mark Alarie was a two-time All-ACC first team selection, was drafted in the first round of the 1986 NBA Draft, and played in the NBA for five seasons.

Isabella Alarie committed to Princeton over Harvard, Penn and Michigan. But back when she was being recruited:
Mark Alarie quietly hoped his alma mater, Duke, would get involved considering he took Bella to the school’s basketball camp every summer as she grew up.

“But we haven’t even gotten a letter,” he said, not hiding his disappointment .

With everything Joanne P. McCallie is losing this year to graduation, think Coach P could use a player like Alarie?

I remember having a conversation with @HuskyNan about what the AAU coach said about Dolson during Dolson's freshman season (when @HuskyNan and I were at the UConn/Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl together in January 2011).

To me, Dolson was like Alison Bales. Good size in the post. Fluid movement in post moves. Not the fleetest of foot, which both players corrected in their respective upperclass years, through increased focus on fitness. Good range on their shots, using mid-range, elbow jumpers, and 15"-18" shots even more in their junior and senior seasons (and in Stef's case, three-point abilities in her junior and senior seasons).

It might have been hard for some (including this AAU coach) to see the potential for development, but it took the right coaches (Gail Goestenkors for Alison Bales; Geno Auriemma for Stefanie Dolson) to help their respective players achieve their ceilings and improve year after year. Of course, though AAU coaches may see tons of players, they are also not professional talent evaluators.

With Bales and Dolson, the basic tools (shooting, post moves, passing, reading defenses, etc. were there; it just took increased fitness, increased confidence, using an expanded offensive arsenal, and playing within a team concept while recognizing the need to step and take over - and having the ability to do so.

Wow! These rating services seem to have a blind spot for post players. Shockingly low ratings, given what they became.

Reaction Score

I believe Brown, Westbeld, and McCall all had offers along with the 2 players that @jdubct mentioned.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe Brown, Westbeld, and McCall all had offers along with the 2 players that @jdubct mentioned.
I don’t know about Westbeld or McCall, but I know UConn looked at Brown, and she was an early lock for Baylor.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Aja Wilson said during her recruiting that she didn't want to be a back to the basket center confined to the middle.
Azura also imagined herself as a more capable outside player than she was - she shot only .176 from 3-pt. range.

There's varying degrees of this, of course. A'ja Wilson played the first three years at South Carolina with Alaina Coates, who was a true back-to-the-basket center. While Wilson is very adept at getting her in-the-paint space, sealing a corner down low and then powering the ball up, I think she's pretty effective from the foul line in. Not Stewie-esque but a very adept power-forward, to be sure.

I'm with you all the way on Azura...when she played at Duke, the ND Bench was never more happy than when she took herself outside and started to shoot perimeter jumpers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think post players take longer to get their bodies able to so what they want them to do. An extended awkward phase per see so higj school rankings are usually low. I think folks have to often throw out the rankings for posts because of that.

Reaction Score
2015 Kalani Brown
2016 Erin Boley
2017 Jada Williams

I think UConn may have shown early interest but they didn't make offers to all of those you listed..............so it's not like they all turned UConn down.

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

“Postential?” I see what you did there. Wily Wabbit!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Completely disagree with you. When I saw her in the McD's game, I thought she could be very very good. Wasn't surprised she became an AA.
My youngest Daughter's AAU team went up against Stef several times in AAU the last time being at Boo Williams with Geno in the house. I predicted then that Stef would be a role player at UCONN similar to what Kaili McLaren was. I was dead wrong.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
After reading the articles, only Reimer confirms that she had an offer from UConn. While it's certainly possible that both McCall and Westbeld also had offers, they may have been hoping for offers that never materialized.

I'm pretty sure Jade Williams never got one either.....

Reaction Score
Have we all decided that there is no hope at all that Batouly can/will play anywhere near the post? I think her potential has been overlooked. This past year was a literal re-building year for her, with shoulder surgery, then a severe practice injury. But she showed that she is back to a healthy state (no idea if she's 100%). But I think we need to factor her into the conversations about the next season. I doubt she transferred to ride the bench!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Have we all decided that there is no hope at all that Batouly can/will play anywhere near the post? I think her potential has been overlooked. This past year was a literal re-building year for her, with shoulder surgery, then a severe practice injury. But she showed that she is back to a healthy state (no idea if she's 100%). But I think we need to factor her into the conversations about the next season. I doubt she transferred to ride the bench!

Hard to have a lot of confidence in Camara when she barely got off the bench this year and shot 36% while averaging 1.3 rebounds in about 5 minutes a game. I don't know if that's all rust and whatnot, or if she's just not a very good player at this point. My hope is for incremental improvements next season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Hard to have a lot of confidence in Camara when she barely got off the bench this year and shot 36% while averaging 1.3 rebounds in about 5 minutes a game. I don't know if that's all rust and whatnot, or if she's just not a very good player at this point. My hope is for incremental improvements next season.
You look at what she did at UCONN but not mention what she did at Kentucky. I doubt she lost all her talent after sitting one year. Per Geno, she was having trouble adjusting to the UCONN system.. He made that statement after the preseason trip. I believe she will be fine IF she learns the system.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You look at what she did at UCONN but not mention what she did at Kentucky. I doubt she lost all her talent after sitting one year. Per Geno, she was having trouble adjusting to the UCONN system.. He made that statement after the preseason trip. I believe she will be fine IF she learns the system.

I'm going by what I saw. Whether it was the injury, the missed time, or something else, she wasn't a rotation player last year and was extremely hit-or-miss when she did play. She struggled to make shots including layups, and didn't rebound with her rumored gusto.

She was okay as a freshmen at Kentucky (5 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block in 18 minutes) but not extraordinary.

Reaction Score
Geno has to stop recruiting undersized guards. Besides MJ, I cant think of one that has exceeded expectations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom