UConn's 5-year Post Recruiting Drought | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn's 5-year Post Recruiting Drought

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno has to stop recruiting undersized guards. Besides MJ, I cant think of one that has exceeded expectations.
What do you consider an undersized guard?

And I don't think Jefferson exceeded expectations. Coming in she was one of the highest rated PGs of all time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2013 Taya Reimer, Erica McCall, Stephanie Mavunga
2014 Brianna Turner, Kathryn Westbeld
2015 Kalani Brown
2016 Erin Boley
2017 Jada Williams
Are all players Uconn had an interest in, all players just picked another school.
Looking at it now 2016 an offer to Felicia Aiyeotan the 6’9 girl now at UVA wouldn’t have been a bad idea.
Yes it would. BTW new transfers rules might allow Fee to transfer from Virginia due to coaching change.

Reaction Score
Yes it would. BTW new transfers rules might allow Fee to transfer from Virginia due to coaching change.

do you really see her as the type of player Geno is looking for? Very limited offensively, limited mobility and frankly she's under performed for a 6'9" post at less then 7 rebounds and 2 blocks per game........I watched her in high school and she really hasn't improved much at all........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
do you really see her as the type of player Geno is looking for? Very limited offensively, limited mobility and frankly she's under performed for a 6'9" post at less then 7 rebounds and 2 blocks per game...I watched her in high school and she really hasn't improved much at all...
As for what Geno is looking for you would have to ask him. Disagree with you that she has not improved since HS. She has improved tremendously. Her former HS coach at Neuman Goretti is fam.
6'9" clay in the hands of a master potter like Geno & Staff is not the same as clay in the hands of just about anyone else.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
As for what Geno is looking for you would have to ask him. Disagree with you that she has not improved since HS. She has improved tremendously. Her former HS coach at Neuman Goretti is fam.
6'9" clay in the hands of a master potter like Geno & Staff is not the same as clay in the hands of just about anyone else.

Agree, I never thought she would see the floor, but she has improved a lot.

Reaction Score

we can agree to disagree on her level of improvement but I don't think even Michelangelo could teach that young lady how to shoot............

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
It's not the first time there has been a drought. There was a six-year gap between Jessica Moore (she redshirted her first year at UConn) and Tina Charles.

Reaction Score
Hard to have a lot of confidence in Camara when she barely got off the bench this year and shot 36% while averaging 1.3 rebounds in about 5 minutes a game. I don't know if that's all rust and whatnot, or if she's just not a very good player at this point. My hope is for incremental improvements next season.

Sluconn Husky- - - I saw 6 to 8 games while at KY and Batouly is an excellent player who is a beast on the boards and comfortable inside to 12' to 15' and I compare her to a taller, Jamelle Elliott! She got robbed this season by getting hurt at the end of preseason and never catching up as she healed her knee!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
sorry but the only famous Potter I know is named Harry..
You don't know these two?

anigif_enhanced-24575-1438775080-2.gif

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's not the first time there has been a drought. There was a six-year gap between Jessica Moore (she redshirted her first year at UConn) and Tina Charles.
We had Crockett and Sherwood in there.

Reaction Score
Like you said there are a very limited number of mobile post players that would fit the UConn system and unfortunately the one's UConn have gone after other then ONO (thankfully) have decided to stay close to home......Boston should be priority number one, as I have written earlier, I do hope she wasn't insulted by all of the "Ezimania" that took place recently...she shouldn't be because she has an offer that could have been accepted for quite a while now...frankly I could live without a true plodding post if Geno can come up with a couple more recruits like Naphessa ..
Having players like Naphessa playing the post position is what led to the semi-final losses 2 years in a row. When UConn has to battle bigger players they have tended to lose the rebounding battle, and the game. The 2nd half against Notre Dame they were beaten badly in rebounding, after winning the battle in the 1st half. You can't play forwards against centers, and expect to out rebound opposing teams.

Reaction Score
Not to take this in an inappropriate direction, but what has changed? What was the reasoning that let ND have a transfer with no wait period while Z had to sit a year?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Having players like Naphessa playing the post position is what led to the semi-final losses 2 years in a row. When UConn has to battle bigger players they have tended to lose the rebounding battle, and the game.
Yet they've beaten Texas, S. Carolina, Baylor, Oregon and Notre Dame in the past two years. So really they "tend" to win those games.

The 2nd half against Notre Dame they were beaten badly in rebounding, after winning the battle in the 1st half. You can't play forwards against centers, and expect to out rebound opposing teams.
And yet they DID out rebound Notre Dame. Twice.

You're not very good at this are you?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not to take this in an inappropriate direction, but what has changed? What was the reasoning that let ND have a transfer with no wait period while Z had to sit a year?
Nothing has changed yet but much could change come June.
1) The NCAA is considering new transfer rules that would allow athletes to NOT have to sit for a year after transferring for Football & Basketball. The NCAA is expected to make a decision around June on the new rules. The exact new rules , or even if there will be any new rules are unclear. One original proposal was to eliminate the wait year all together. There were several amendments from the original proposal A) Expand the transfer rules (wait 1 year) to all sport. B) Eliminate the 1 year wait in the case of a coaching change C) Tie immediate eligibility to grades, better student sit less time or not at all.
Separate from the amount of time a student would wait or not wait is the issue of notification to the current school. The proposal that seems to certainly pass is the elimination of the notification rules that are in place today where a student has to gain a release from their current school before they can talk to another school. The mechanics of how that will actually work have not been detailed yet and some envision a clearing house type system where a student wanting to transfer would put their name in a database and all school would have an opportunity to recruit from that data base. Hopefully you see the problem: a coach could go to this database hoping to recruit players transferring from other schools only to learn ( for the first time) that some of his or her own player are also transferring.
IMO June will be a bang or a whimper for the NCAA-eliminate the transfer rule for everyone or keep the existing rules because anything in between brings potential problems in implementation and the potential for more lawsuits.
I am predicting elimination of all transfer rules including notification and making everyone immediately eligible subject to the same minimum GPA requirements as exists today.
2) Shepard's immediate eligibility at ND is a separate matter that highlighted the need not necessarily for change but more transparency on the part of the NCAA. Under the current process any player can petition the NCAA to be immediately eligible in the case of a transfer. ND petitioned the NCAA and was granted immediately eligibility by the NCAA. Te'a Cooper of South Carolina petitioned and was denied. As a matter of policy the NCAA does not provide an explanation as to why one petition was successful and another was not. Dawn Staley advised Cooper's parents to "lawyer up" meaning they should sue the NCAA This is the reason for my prediction above that the NCAA doesn't want a law suit for every petition denied therefore preemptively eliminate the petition process and reduce it to something that @UConnCat and many other have become resigned to and dubbed "WAIVERS FOR EVERYONE!" The NCAA can't get more transparent than to eliminate the process.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment. It is noteworthy that during the 5 years after Stewie, the only 2 post players that UConn appeared to go hard after were consensus #1’s Wilson & Cox
Interesting comment. It is noteworthy that during the 5 years after Stewie, the only 2 post players that UConn appeared to go hard after were consensus #1’s Wilson & Cox.
Slightly different perspective. Geno and CD seem to qualify recruits early and often. Rather than Geno not "wanting" to make offer, could be post players not wanting Geno. Comment not meant as negative since no one can recruit everyone but would be interesting to know what the market drivers are (which we never will ;)).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Slightly different perspective. Geno and CD seem to qualify recruits early and often. Rather than Geno not "wanting" to make offer, could be post players not wanting Geno. Comment not meant as negative since no one can recruit everyone but would be interesting to know what the market drivers are (which we never will ;)).
In my mind, a more likely scenario is that Geno doesn't want to offer a "2nd tier" post player while he's still actively recruiting a "top tier" post player. If a player gets toward the end of their junior year without an offer from UConn, they probably get a little antsy, and may well accept the best offer on the table. With top players holding the perfunctory "press conference" to announce their decision near the end of the fall signing period, by the time you know you're not getting the player you want, it's to late for a Plan B.

A few teams don't seem to care, and they load up on post players like some folks buy power tools. Baylor, TX and MD come to mind as teams that have signed multiple posts in the same class. I don't know that UConn has ever signed 2 true post players in the same class, and maybe they never will, but I certainly would be OK if Geno brought in some reinforcements from time to time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom