OT: - UCONN Women's Basketball | The Boneyard

OT: UCONN Women's Basketball

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score

It has gotten to the point where a UCONN Women's basketball topic needs to be labeled as OT now, simply as a reflection of the many other posted topics that routinely pollute the intended use of this board.

It is obvious to the remaining serious posters on here that many of our more knowledgeable posters have dropped off.

Here is a sample of topics that belong elsewhere:

1548351942876.png

For credibility purposes, I propose that new Topics be audited as to suitability.

Of course this post could be a candidate for the auditor's hammer...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't see any harm in OT topics that are clearly labeled that way.

And I also don't see what is OT about WCBB games that do not involve UConn, or about a reporter who covered the Tennessee LV team being laid off.

I agree that the Boneyard has evolved to some degree into a WCBB forum (not just UConn), and I think that is a very good thing. The posters from other fanbases may the board more interesting, at least to me. It shows that the discussions here are of higher quality than those available on the fan forums of other WCBB teams, which attracts those posters to this site.

Reaction Score

It has gotten to the point where a UCONN Women's basketball topic needs to be labeled as OT now, simply as a reflection of the many other posted topics that routinely pollute the intended use of this board.

It is obvious to the remaining serious posters on here that many of our more knowledgeable posters have dropped off.

View attachment 38675

For credibility purposes, I propose that new Topics be audited as to suitability.

Just click on that Ignore button and get rid of the threads you don’t want. Cleans it up nicely.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't see any harm in OT topics that are clearly labeled that way.

The posters from other fanbases may the board more interesting
I generally agree with you on your first point, especially the part about clearly marking threads as off topic.

I strongly agree with you on your second point. I believe knowledgeable fans of other schools enrich the quality of this forum. A few examples include The Three Irishmen (@Orangutan, @Dillon77, @Fightin Choke) plus @IrishTiger; @bballnut90 (I'd like to see more of the UT fans post); The USCe guys (@SCGamecock, @cockhrnleghrn, both of whom I'd like to see post more); the UCLA guy, @wallman; @nwhoopfan; The Oregonian, @jonson; @LoTrader of Oregon State; the relatively new guys from Mississippi State, @Jmsdawg, @MSUFan2003 (sorry, I don't have all your handles memorized); the U of Texas guy or guys, again, can't remember); the Baylor guy, @DallasBUFan; the Rutgers guy in Arizona, @KnightBridgeAZ; the Duke guys (@triaddukefan, @CamrnCrz1974); @TheFarmFan from Stanford, and many, many more.

My sincere plea to them is keep posting, and don't let the "nattering nabobs of negativity" drive you off.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I generally agree with you on your first point, especially the part about clearly marking threads as off topic.

I strongly agree with you on your second point. I believe knowledgeable fans of other schools enrich the quality of this forum. A few examples include The Three Irishmen (@Orangutan, @Dillon77, @Fightin Choke) plus @IrishTiger; @bballnut90 (I'd like to see more of the UT fans post); The USCe guys (@SCGamecock, @cockhrnleghrn, both of whom I'd like to see post more); the UCLA guy, @wallman; @nwhoopfan; The Oregonian, @jonson; @LoTrader of Oregon State; the relatively new guys from Mississippi State, @Jmsdawg, @MSUFan2003 (sorry, I don't have all your handles memorized); the U of Texas guy or guys, again, can't remember); the Baylor guy, @DallasBUFan; the Rutgers guy in Arizona, @KnightBridgeAZ; the Duke guys (@triaddukefan, @CamrnCrz1974); @TheFarmFan from Stanford, and many, many more.

My sincere plea to them is keep posting, and don't let the "nattering nabobs of negativity" drive you off.

Gus, I completely agree. I enjoy reading the comments from posters from other fanbases. I’m familiar with every poster you mentioned. They share knowledge and information I find interesting. I’m a UConn fan first and foremost, but I do have an interest and curiosity about other programs in Division 1 WCBB. To be informed is to acquire knowledge. I'm always interested in that. I’m also a fan of the WNBA. I enjoy following our girls as they transition to the next level.

I also enjoy reading about the high school elites that are making a name for themselves and will be making their way onto the college landscape in a few years.

As others have said, the BY is one of the best public forums for WCBB on the web. That’s because of the rules and regulations governing this thread and posters that share their thoughts, opinions and concerns, and can do so without fear of reprisal or unreasonable scrutiny. We have some very knowledgeable and insightful contributors to this thread. I get information here I wouldn't get anywhere else. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

View attachment 38675

Given that this is a WCBB board, and the demographics supporting WCBB, isn't it possible those long time serious posters have simply died?

Reaction Score
This a Yes & No, 'One' person gets to censor the remarks of another, who 'O'ne does not agree with ? To me this is censoring. If I object to what someone is saying, as someone already mentioned , I pass them by. Reason why I volunteered 2 yrs in the Military. Got behind 'Iron Curtain', saw censoring . Please 'God' , not here !

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Given that this is a WCBB board, and the demographics supporting WCBB, isn't it possible those long time serious posters have simply died?
We have lost a number of long time posters:

HuskyBill
Wonkster
Olde Coach
Big Ed
LaserT
speedoo
Ruffian
HuskySlim
JumpinJackFlash

As for the fans of other teams, some have been here longer than most UConn fans - @CamrnCrz1974 @bbsamjj @KnightBridgeAZ @Orangutan @Boxerpups4me others whose handles don’t immediately come to mind. And @Gus Mahler there are many long time LV fan posters here who’ve chosen not to describe themselves as such mostly because they lived through the Great War that smashed the best rivalry in women’s basketball. The vitriol towards LV fans was unbelievable back then.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Gus, I completely agree. I enjoy reading the comments from posters from other fanbases. I’m familiar with every poster you mentioned. They share knowledge and information I find interesting. I’m a UConn fan first and foremost, but I do have an interest and curiosity about other programs in Division 1 WCBB. To be informed is to acquire knowledge. I'm always interested in that. I’m also a fan of the WNBA. I enjoy following our girls as they transition to the next level.

I also enjoy reading about the high school elites that are making a name for themselves and will be making their way onto the college landscape in a few years.

As others have said, the BY is one of the best public forums for WCBB on the web. That’s because of the rules and regulations governing this thread and posters that share their thoughts, opinions and concerns, and can do so without fear of reprisal or unreasonable scrutiny. We have some very knowledgeable and insightful contributors to this thread. I get information here I wouldn't get anywhere else. :cool:
Welcome back Carnac, it's nice to see you posting your great insights again my friend.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Love the board and the mixture of OT threads during the off season. I missed a lot of the other team fans' activity because of course we now have two boards and I sometime get out of the habit of switching to the 'General' board for weeks at a time. And I really appreciate the moderation which, while some might call 'censorship', I find keeps the place free from mindlessness that seems to be the norm across most other areas on the internet. Civility in our civilized society is unfortunately rare! :cool:

I get more irritated with the on topic threads that start 'Has Uconn basketball....' or 'Is Geno ...' or 'The biggest mistake...' than with the 'OT: Best Mad Magazine ...' or 'OT: Best pizza in ...'
I can skip the ones identified as OT if uninterested, I feel I need to at least skim the others even if it raises my BP.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

View attachment 38675

This is the season when posters take a sabbatical. Nothing going on. No news. All the basketball posts are idiotic positions on either Geno’s mistakes or silly suggestions on what should change.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Below is what is posted at the top of the WBB Forum. "etc." about covers it and if the mods think a thread shouldn't be here, then they will do something about it.
This forum is for fans to discuss UConn's 11 National Championships; UConn women's basketball recruiting; Coach Geno Auriemma; music; trivia, etc.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Just to point out the maybe not so obvious...
The OP and first 7 replies are from Jan 2019. Just shows that there is not much new on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
We have lost a number of long time posters:

UConnBill
Wonkster
Olde Coach
Big Ed
LaserT
speedoo
Ruffian
HuskySlim
JumpinJackFlash

As for the fans of other teams, some have been here longer than most UConn fans - @CamrnCrz1974 @bbsamjj @KnightBridgeAZ @Orangutan @Boxerpups4me others whose handles don’t immediately come to mind. And @Gus Mahler there are many long time LV fan posters here who’ve chosen not to describe themselves as such mostly because they lived through the Great War that smashed the best rivalry in women’s basketball. The vitriol towards LV fans was unbelievable back then.
@uconnbill posted a week ago on the Football board.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The OP and first 7 replies are from Jan 2019. Just shows that there is not much new on the Boneyard.
I always wonder how one has the time to go hunting for these old threads that pop up once in a while. :confused:

Reaction Score
Looks like you spoke too soon.... :) ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
he vitriol towards LV fans was unbelievable back then.
But not a patch on the vitriol toward Husky fans from Lady Vol fans. Just sayin.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It’s HuskyBill. How could I forget? ?

He was a treasure. @ThisJustIn still honors Bill in her avatar.

View attachment 66767
I had exchanged messages with him shortly before he died. While I rarely send messages, I was so happy to have done so in that case; he had a very appealing sense of humor, IIRC, and the exchange was most pleasant.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is the season when posters take a sabbatical. Nothing going on. No news. All the basketball posts are idiotic positions on either Geno’s mistakes or silly suggestions on what should change.
I just took a brief sabbatical. I needed one after those last two games. It did me well to
take a break. I’m back now relaxed and refreshed. ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom