UConn Women's Basketball Weekly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Women's Basketball Weekly

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This year, I'm adopting the "tonyc" outlook for UConn the entire season, with unbridled optimism. Beginning with the assumption that the injury woes that plagued us the last two years are over. We had more than our share of injuries. Injuries that for the most part debilitated our team before it began. Then it got worse. Who saw UConn get down to 6 healthy players that could dress for a game? Who saw conference losses to Marquette and St. Johns that season? :confused:

Some teams like LSU and South Carolina didn't have any injuries to their core players all year. Let us have a large glass of THAT Kool-Aid.
Paige missed the entire season, Azzi played in only 15 of UConn's 37 games (40%).

I have often wondered how Iowa would have faired if Caitlin Clark had been lost for the year, and Monika Czinano played in only 15 games?

Or South Carolina if Aliyah Boston was lost for the entire year, and Zia Cooke missed 40% of their games? And finally, LSU if Angel Reese missed the entire season, and Alexis Morris played in only 15 games. Tell me that LSU still wins the championship in spite of their two best players being out for as many games as Paige and Azzi were. :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
This year, I'm adopting the "tonyc" outlook for UConn the entire season, with unbridled optimism. Beginning with the assumption that the injury woes that plagued us the last two years are over. We had more than our share of injuries. Injuries that for the most part debilitated our team before it began. Then it got worse. Who saw UConn get down to 6 healthy players that could dress for a game? Who saw conference losses to Marquette and St. Johns that season? :confused:

Some teams like LSU and South Carolina didn't have any injuries to their core players all year. Let us have a large glass of THAT Kool-Aid.
Paige missed the entire season, Azzi played in only 15 of UConn's 37 games (40%).

I have often wondered how Iowa would have faired if Caitlin Clark had been lost for the year, and Monika Czinano played in only 15 games?

Or South Carolina if Aliyah Boston was lost for the entire year, and Zia Cooke missed 40% of their games? And finally, LSU if Angel Reese missed the entire season, and Alexis Morris played in only 15 games. Tell me that LSU still wins the championship in spite of their two best players being out for as many games as Paige and Azzi were. :eek:
One more note about my query.........................

I researched the 2022-2023 individual stats of the players I mentioned. All six players played in every one of their team's games last season. Last year was LSU's year. Pour UConn a glass of Kool-Aid from the same pitcher these teams are drinking from, and let's see how we do. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Lucky not to have injuries, lucky to have good refs, lucky in which opponent wins the previous round…
I've heard coaches and players in various sports say, "sometimes, you make your own luck." In baseball, you've heard of "a lucky bounce"?
Or in football, a player fumbles the ball, and it bounces right back to him. You never depend on luck to win a contest, but when you are the beneficiary of a lucky bounce or a lucky play, you graciously accept it. :)

Reaction Score

You are one of my favorite posters and I agree about 99% of everything you post. Last year I had predicted Uconn would be undefeated in the BE and win their 12th NC.I had many naysayers not agree with me, but I hung in. When they collapsed against Ohio St. , I posted that I was a sore loser and would not post until the season started. With the team we have now I could not wait to post and root for the great season Uconn will have this season. I am back to my predictions that Uconn will go undefeated in the BE and N0. 12 is finally here. In another post on a different subject, I posted that we now have TWO starting fives with equal height, scoring ability and radical defense. This year will be one to remember for a LOOOOOONG time. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
I've heard coaches and players in various sports say, "sometimes, you make your own luck." In baseball, you've heard of "a lucky bounce"?
Or in football, a player fumbles the ball, and it bounces right back to him. You never depend on luck to win a contest, but when you are the beneficiary of a lucky bounce or a lucky play, you graciously accept it. :)
Still not sold on luck being better than good, but one thing we can all agree on, we don't need any more bad luck. I will graciously accept no more bad luck.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Or, as Branch Rickey put it, "Luck is the residue of design."
I love the quote which has often been attributed to Branch Rickey. But I believe that the original quote came from English poet John Milton in the 1600’s.

PvP

Reaction Score
If UConn can go through the entire season healthy, like LSU and South Carolina did last year, things will take care of themselves. UConn is too talented and too deep not to be successful this year.

Few if any teams have the "firepower" or the ability to score as they do. Geno can put 5 starters on the floor that can score 20 points in any given game. How many other teams can do that? I also expect this team to be very very stingy on defense as well. ;)
You say that Geno has the ability to put 5 starters on the floor who can each score 20 points in any given game. I think the only players who have proven that they can score 20 points in a game would mean a "small" line up with Paige at point, Azzi and Caroline in the backcourt and AE and Aubrey up front. Maybe KK, Jana and Ice will be able to join those 5 with Jana and Ice adding height and bulk in time, but I doubt if there are any others who have shown this shooting capability to date.

That is not to suggest we don't have a powerful squad, only to suggest that I don't see the obvious line up which could have such balanced high scoring.

Reaction Score

This is the 38th post in this thread and will be only the second one to address the subject of the thread, just another example of Nika Mühl being unique in UCONN wcbb. Most threads find their tangent at some point but this one veered immediately and stayed with it. Where it went, in luck's role, is actually relevant to the subject matter of the OP's posted article - namely Nika Mühl. To paraphrase one or two responses, luck combined with being good can lead to success. Enter Nika, who signed on with Uconn days after Paige and when asked why she committed to Uconn days after the player considered the best coming out of high school, namely Paige - who played her same position - she answered that she wanted to challenge herself and to be the best you need to play against the best (intros case in practice against each other) and added she thought they could compliment and play we'll with each other.

Most, if not all, on the Boneyard expected Nika to be Paige's backup at point guard, for most if not all her career at Uconn. Fast forward and entering her senior year Nika has started more games than anyone else on this year's roster, holds the all time single season and game assist records as well as career records for both consecutive and number of double digit assist games, appears multiple times, (with no one else appearing twice) on the all time list of highest assist games. She also enters the season as back to back BE DPOY. Few if any, even among her greatest supports (yours truly included), foresaw just how very impactful she has been entering her senior campaign.

As we all know Nika has been a lightning rod on here so perhaps that is why with an article posted with the title " Nika Mühl is laser-focused on a national championship" that there is little mention of her on this thread. But for Nika it has always been about team, she is fiercely competitive and loyal in equal parts, so recognition from anywhere outside of her teammates and coaches is of little importance to her. One thing has been a constant from day one with Nika, she is committed to doing whatever she can to help her team succeed. Her final quote in the article' “My goal has been the same since my freshman year. It hasn't changed. That is to win a national championship,” Mühl said. “Whatever I have to do for however many minutes I have to do it to accomplish that goal, I'm all in.”

So in terms of luck and success, I think it its fair to say that UCONN has been and is very lucky to have Nika Mühl as on of their own and she will be a piece of both the luck and talent it will take this season to bring home #12!

Reaction Score

This is the Post of the Pre-season!!! Thank you Carnac for doing all the work in posting it-this is going to be an absolutely amazing season as we are going to see so many of our players busting thru to newer and greater heights!! What a ride we are in for!!!

Reaction Score
This is the 38th post in this thread and will be only the second one to address the subject of the thread, just another example of Nika Mühl being unique in UCONN wcbb. Most threads find their tangent at some point but this one veered immediately and stayed with it. Where it went, in luck's role, is actually relevant to the subject matter of the OP's posted article - namely Nika Mühl. To paraphrase one or two responses, luck combined with being good can lead to success. Enter Nika, who signed on with Uconn days after Paige and when asked why she committed to Uconn days after the player considered the best coming out of high school, namely Paige - who played her same position - she answered that she wanted to challenge herself and to be the best you need to play against the best (intros case in practice against each other) and added she thought they could compliment and play we'll with each other.

Most, if not all, on the Boneyard expected Nika to be Paige's backup at point guard, for most if not all her career at Uconn. Fast forward and entering her senior year Nika has started more games than anyone else on this year's roster, holds the all time single season and game assist records as well as career records for both consecutive and number of double digit assist games, appears multiple times, (with no one else appearing twice) on the all time list of highest assist games. She also enters the season as back to back BE DPOY. Few if any, even among her greatest supports (yours truly included), foresaw just how very impactful she has been entering her senior campaign.

As we all know Nika has been a lightning rod on here so perhaps that is why with an article posted with the title " Nika Mühl is laser-focused on a national championship" that there is little mention of her on this thread. But for Nika it has always been about team, she is fiercely competitive and loyal in equal parts, so recognition from anywhere outside of her teammates and coaches is of little importance to her. One thing has been a constant from day one with Nika, she is committed to doing whatever she can to help her team succeed. Her final quote in the article' “My goal has been the same since my freshman year. It hasn't changed. That is to win a national championship,” Mühl said. “Whatever I have to do for however many minutes I have to do it to accomplish that goal, I'm all in.”

So in terms of luck and success, I think it its fair to say that UCONN has been and is very lucky to have Nika Mühl as on of their own and she will be a piece of both the luck and talent it will take this season to bring home #12!
Wouldn't it be awesome if she ended up with that title again as a Senior? Big East Defensive Player of the Year!

Carnac

Reaction Score
You are one of my favorite posters and I agree about 99% of everything you post. Last year I had predicted Uconn would be undefeated in the BE and win their 12th NC.I had many naysayers not agree with me, but I hung in. When they collapsed against Ohio St. , I posted that I was a sore loser and would not post until the season started. With the team we have now I could not wait to post and root for the great season Uconn will have this season. I am back to my predictions that Uconn will go undefeated in the BE and N0. 12 is finally here. In another post on a different subject, I posted that we now have TWO starting fives with equal height, scoring ability and radical defense. This year will be one to remember for a LOOOOOONG time. GO HUSKIES!!!!
Thank you for the flowers. I appreciate it. :) Don't wait for the season to begin to resume posting. No matter what you post, there will ALWAYS be naysayers that will challenge your comments. Whatever you post, you'd better be ready to defend it. Opinions that are not based on FACTS are a bit hard to attack since they are sometimes based on gut feelings, and EVERYONE is allowed to have their own opinion on sports, even if no one else agrees with them.

Post on impulse!! That's what I do. I read a comment, and I'm compelled to comment on it. Sometimes a short 1-2 sentence, sometimes a 4-5 paragraph comment as I'm known to write. Writing is easy for me, especially since I've started using "Grammarly." Now, all of my posts are grammatically correct, and I write like an English major. ;) Things come to me as I write. I look forward to reading your comments.
I always enjoy reading the thoughts and concerns of my fellow boneyard brethren. This team will provide lots of fodder to write and trade thoughts and concerns about, starting next month when they play that first exhibition game in Zagreb.

There will be lots of joyous, positive and even some prognostication type comments posted here, as well as some criticism. I hope Geno is able to play the entire roster. Paige, Ice and Amari are doubtful for participation in any of those games, as they are all still recovering from injury/surgery. Paige said she's not looking to return to the court before November. That just means more minutes for the 11 healthy players that will suit up and are champing at the bit to kick off to get on the floor in a regulation (albeit an exhibition) game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You say that Geno has the ability to put 5 starters on the floor who can each score 20 points in any given game. I think the only players who have proven that they can score 20 points in a game would mean a "small" line up with Paige at point, Azzi and Caroline in the backcourt and AE and Aubrey up front. Maybe KK, Jana and Ice will be able to join those 5 with Jana and Ice adding height and bulk in time, but I doubt if there are any others who have shown this shooting capability to date.

That is not to suggest we don't have a powerful squad, only to suggest that I don't see the obvious line up which could have such balanced high scoring.

I would expect to see that exact lineup often this coming season. Not starting but definitely against teams that use a zone.
I can remember saying the same thing about a prior UConn season, one of the Stewart years. UConn had five players who all had put up 30 pt games.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the flowers. I appreciate it. :) Don't wait for the season to begin to resume posting. No matter what you post, there will ALWAYS be naysayers that will challenge your comments. Whatever you post, you'd better be ready to defend it. Opinions that are not based on FACTS are a bit hard to attack since they are sometimes based on gut feelings, and EVERYONE is allowed to have their own opinion on sports, even if no one else agrees with them.

Post on impulse!! That's what I do. I read a comment, and I'm compelled to comment on it. Sometimes a short 1-2 sentence, sometimes a 4-5 paragraph comment as I'm known to write. Writing is easy for me, especially since I've started using "Grammarly." Now, all of my posts are grammatically correct, and I write like an English major. ;) Things come to me as I write. I look forward to reading your comments.
I always enjoy reading the thoughts and concerns of my fellow boneyard brethren. This team will provide lots of fodder to write and trade thoughts and concerns about, starting next month when they play that first exhibition game in Zagreb.

There will be lots of joyous, positive and even some prognostication type comments posted here, as well as some criticism. I hope Geno is able to play the entire roster. Paige, Ice and Amari are doubtful for participation in any of those games, as they are all still recovering from injury/surgery. Paige said she's not looking to return to the court before November. That just means more minutes for the 11 healthy players that will suit up and are champing at the bit to kick off to get on the floor in a regulation (albeit an exhibition) game.
Thank you for the pep talk. To let you know I am posting big time as this team is too good to not comment on. This season there will be a ton of praise and accolades for the team and individual players. My first hope and priority is for Caroline being healthy and show everyone how good she is in every aspect of the game. This will be a season that will be talked about for years to come. NO,12, NO.13 and No.14. IT'S POSSIBLE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Thank you for the pep talk. To let you know I am posting big time as this team is too good to not comment on. This season there will be a ton of praise and accolades for the team and individual players. My first hope and priority is for Caroline being healthy and show everyone how good she is in every aspect of the game. This will be a season that will be talked about for years to come. NO,12, NO.13 and No.14. IT'S POSSIBLE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
A 100% healthy Caroline will be scary to our opponents. We've never seen Caroline 100% healthy yet. When she's in rhythm, she can score 5-6 (or more) baskets in a row. I'm going to assume she will begin the season completely healthy. When the serious boneyard debate begins in early November about who the 5 starters will be, Caroline's name will and should be mentioned.

She may leave Geno no choice but to start her. She's a "seasoned" veteran, knows the system, and works well with others..................why not start Caroline? :rolleyes: In my opinion there are only 3 locks to start at this point....Azzi, Paige and Aaliyah. The other two spots are up for grabs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom