UConn Women's Basketball Extends Series With Baylor, Schedules Series With Virginia | The Boneyard

UConn Women's Basketball Extends Series With Baylor, Schedules Series With Virginia

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Conn has extended its series against Baylor and added a two-game series against Virginia for the 2019-20, 2020-21 seasons.

A team spokesman confirmed the addition of the games against Baylor and Virginia, which will set the Huskies up for two interesting seasons of non-conference play.

The Huskies are scheduled to play Baylor this season on Jan. 3, and they’ve recently signed a deal to extend the series for two more years. The last time the two faced off was in 2016, with UConn winning 72-61.

As for Virginia, the second game of the series will be a homecoming for Megan Walker during her senior year keeping with coach Geno Auriemma’s tradition of scheduling non-conference games that will allow his seniors to play in front of their families and friends.

UConn recently announced that they’ve also added a two-game series with Oregon set to be played in 2019-20 and 2021-22.

[Story]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Next year is going to be very interesting with a super young roster. Thank goodness CD will be a senior.

Reaction Score
So

2019-20:
Home games vs Oregon, Baylor, UVa, Tenn

2020-21:
Away games vs Baylor, UVa, Tenn

2021-22:
Away vs Oregon

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have just one word for this:

MEGATRON

megan_walker_2_of_2.jpg

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
best?
I think that is a bit of journalistic license ; who wants to read "That sets up probably a really mediocre series" ;)

Reaction Score
I think that is a bit of journalistic license ; who wants to read "That sets up probably a really mediocre series" ;)

Um, no.

He may indeed be correct that it is one of the best. If so, fine.
But if not, no, you don't get to make up a false headline just bc it sounds jazzier.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Um, no.

He may indeed be correct that it is one of the best. If so, fine.
But if not, no, you don't get to make up a false headline just bc it sounds jazzier.
You are correct that they shouldn't, but you know they do it. I do not like it, but they do it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Depending on what day of the week it is, I just might make the trip down to C'Ville for the game. I have only been in the vestibule area of JPJ arena for packet pickup for the road race.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Depending on what day of the week it is, I just might make the trip down to C'Ville for the game. I have only been in the vestibule area of JPJ arena for packet pickup for the road race.
It's about 2 hours for me. I hope to be there.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have just one word for this:

MEGATRON

megan_walker_2_of_2.jpg

IMO, Walker is one of several players that MUST step up if UConn is going to compete for a NC this year. When I say step up, I mean all the way up. She must be a starter, stay healthy all season (be available) and put up numbers similar (or very close to) to what Maya Moore did in her sophomore season. Walker has to this point always displayed a serious "stoic" persona, similar that that of Maya and Morgan Tuck. Think back, you never once saw either one of them display their “silly side” publically.

I realize that's a lot of pressure to put on her, but that's why she came to UConn. She wanted to be challenged, and she wanted to be great. Here's her chance!! I think she will. She showed flashes of what she can do last year. I think she welcomes the challenge. She has IT!! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IMO, Walker is one of several players that MUST step up if UConn is going to compete for a NC this year. When I say step up, I mean all the way up. She must be a starter, stay healthy all season (be available) and put up numbers similar (or very close to) to what Maya Moore did in her sophomore season. Walker has to this point always displayed a "stoic" persona, similar that that of Maya and Morgan Tuck.

I realize that's a lot of pressure to put on her, but that's why she came to UConn. She wanted to be challenged, and she wanted to be great. Here's her chance!! I think she will. She showed flashes of what she can do last year. I think she welcomes the challenge. She has IT!! ;)
Setting the bar high, my friend? Maya was consensus NPOY as a sophomore and averaged 19 points and 9 rebounds. I think Meg can manage 13 and 7 this season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You’re probably right, but remember, I'm still out here on a limb (right next to you from an earlier post), so I have nothing to lose. I hoping for 19 ppg, but I’d gladly settle for 13. Her performance in the UCLA game proved she has the skill set and the ability to play at this level. They didn’t need her last year like they do this year.

Walker is a baller that takes the game seriously. She wants to be not just good, but great. She’s beyond the shock and “awe” stage now. She knows that she belongs here, and now she KNOWS what she is suppose to do, just like Gabby relayed to us in and interview at the beginning of her sophomore season.

She, Christyn Williams and Napheesa Collier are cut from the same cloth. They are warriors that hate to lose, and don’t mind working hard to achieve their goals. Not to say that the other players are not warriors, it’s just that those two players immediately came to mind. :cool:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It's about 2 hours for me. I hope to be there.

I'm a little further than you, but if it's a weekend, I like spending time around Charlottesville, and one day off from work is doable if it's a Friday or Sunday game.

Reaction Score
One encouraging, but perhaps hidden, note about this.

Not all players get 'home' games. But Geno makes the effort for all the really good ones.

Scheduling a UVa game says something about GA's expectations for MW.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm a little further than you, but if it's a weekend, I like spending time around Charlottesville, and one day off from work is doable if it's a Friday or Sunday game.
See you there!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You’re probably right. I hoping for 19 ppg, but I’d gladly settle for 13 Her performance in the UCLA game proved she has the skill set and the ability to play at this level. They didn’t need her last year like they do this year.

Walker is a baller that takes the game seriously. She wants to be not good, but great. She’s beyond the “awe” stage. She knows that she belongs here. She, Christyn Williams and Napheesa Collier are cut from the same cloth. They are warriors that hate to lose, and don’t mind working hard to achieve their goals. Not to say that the other players are not warriors, it’s just that those two jumped out at me.
Megan’s Powhatan HS team won 3 straight Virginia championships. In her senior year, she had to go into Megatron mode in the 4th quarter to ensure the win. She definitely can take over games.

I think she was too passive and inconsistent last year, but she appears to have worked hard since April to improve. Pheesa’s trainer was impressed. Indeed, she wants to be great!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Megan’s Powhatan HS team won 3 straight Virginia championships. In her senior year, she had to go into Megatron mode in the 4th quarter to ensure the win. She definitely can take over games.

I think she was too passive and inconsistent last year, but she appears to have worked hard since April to improve. Pheesa’s trainer was impressed. Indeed, she wants to be great!

Geno has said (not me) many times that it takes most freshmen a whole year to really understand his system. Some take longer, regardless of their BB IQ or their physical skill set coming in. He says that there have been exceptions - Maya, Kelly Farris and Jemelle Elliot all "got it" almost immediately. It appears that Megan is in that "most" category.

As a refresher, here's Geno's take on his perception of freshmen that come into his program............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom