UConn women | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry to see the girls lose, Baylor is just better than them because of Griner, she has to be the best female player ever. Mosqueda-Lewis is a great player, by far the best player for UConn. Besides not being able to deal with Griner UConn's big weakness seems to be point guard play, every time I've seen them play a big game Hartley is terrible, she runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Baylor's coach looks fairly ridiculous, I'm sure Geno has some colorful things to say about her.

Reaction Score
Sorry to see the girls lose, Baylor is just better than them because of Griner, she has to be the best female player ever. Mosqueda-Lewis is a great player, by far the best player for UConn. Besides not being able to deal with Griner UConn's big weakness seems to be point guard play, every time I've seen them play a big game Hartley is terrible, she runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Baylor's coach looks fairly ridiculous, I'm sure Geno has some colorful things to say about her.

Not to continue the theme of the post about next season for the men, but imagine how good the women will be next year?

Reaction Score

I'm sure he does...

628x471.jpg

Reaction Score
The women should be the clear #1 team next year and Mosqueda-Lewis will be a legend for them when it's all said and done, still think they need a new point guard though.

U

UCONNfan1

They have Moriah Jefferson. She's going to be a great one. Super speedy. Hartley is better suited for the 2G.

Reaction Score
I've only watched a handful of the big games over the past few years but there has been one consistent fact. Dolson is GASSED by the end of the games. I swear every time I watch, the opposing post players production goes through the roof the last 5-10 minutes of the game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Even though they lost, that was an entertaining game. Sure some lapses, but long stretches where both teams went flat out in transition with excellent ball movement and tight passes. And flagrant fouls to boot. Very entertaining and a quality of play that might've even impressed some who hate women's hoops - certainly more entertaining that Pitt-ND men's game was.:p

Reaction Score
Even though they lost, that was an entertaining game. Sure some lapses, but long stretches where both teams went flat out in transition with excellent ball movement and tight passes. And flagrant fouls to boot. Very entertaining and a quality of play that might've even impressed some who hate women's hoops - certainly more entertaining that Pitt-ND men's game was.:p

Really? There were a few stretches that were fun to watch, but there were also tons of blown layups, at least 10 travel calls, tons of horrible passes by UConn, etc. Every once in a while when some of the top teams get together, it can be fun to watch. This was most certainly not one of them. If anyone who didn't like women's bball sat down to watch this game, I think it would have reaffirmed their opinions much more than a normal UConn women's game.

Reaction Score

Hartley was Uconn's best player, by a wide margin, last season in the big games..and often she was a top player (behind Moore) as a freshman.

She's had a rough year, her ankle injury has turned into a month long struggle.

Reaction Score

I attended my first womens game ever last night and sat upstairs at a mid court suite....it was entertaining because it was full. Quality of play? Not real good overall and you would need to be a womens fan to think that was real good basketball.

Hartley is killing them, she's awful and out of control this year for whatever reason. Doty missed so many wide open jumpers and thank God for Lewis she was the only reason they weren't blown out, she's improved her game tremendously. UConn thinks they can just run their plays and throw passes because no one is ever going to step into the passing lane......really? Dolson needs more help and Stewart lost her confidence or this team is better than Baylor.........maybe next time but as much as I like Doty she needs less minutes if they are to get a W if they play again....their guards are too athletic for her........

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I attended my first womens game ever last night and sat upstairs at a mid court suite....it was entertaining because it was full. Quality of play? Not real good overall and you would need to be a womens fan to think that was real good basketball.

Perhaps my point was too subtle. Sounds like you're expecting Spurs v. Heat. That's not happening ever. My point was that it was entertaining with stretches of fast, well-executed play. Quite unlike a number of heavily-promoted nationally televised women's games in recent years that have been either blowouts or embarrassing for the sport due to low quality of play.

Reaction Score
Perhaps my point was too subtle. Sounds like you're expecting Spurs v. Heat. That's not happening ever. My point was that it was entertaining with stretches of fast, well-executed play. Quite unlike a number of heavily-promoted nationally televised women's games in recent years that have been either blowouts or embarrassing for the sport due to low quality of play.

Agreed as far as "stretches" goes..........I did not expect Spurs vs Heat and actually to me this is more entertaining than a NBA game lol..........still tough to watch in stretches too..........amazing how many lay ups they gave up in the 2nd half!!!

Reaction Score
Their guard play needs to improve. It's weird really, Hartley was excellent last year. One of the top college guards. Injured her ankle this offseason and she dramatically regressed. I'm not sure whether she is still bothered by it or afraid of injuring it again, but she no longer plays with the wild abandon she did last year. She plays scared.

Banks is out with ACL and who knows whether she could be the next one.

They have Saniya Chong coming in but according to ratings she should be firmly stuck behind Jefferson who given time to develop could be our version of Sims some day.

Either way it doesn't look like UConn has a guard the level of Sims or Diggins coming in. Having said that, it shouldn't matter much next year. Hartley will need some rest this summer but should be back to being herself next year.

Then Jeffereson will be able to take over as a junior. With the other stars on this team (KML, Stewart) UConn should be the top dogs the next two years. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last night UConn was soft as hell. KML was the w/o a doubt and is a warrior. Beyond that Dolson was relegated to being an outside shooter from the three point line area. She has become deadly out there but the team gave up a lot of rbs for it.

And that was the UConn team to defend. Everyone else was not to be feared. It seemed like Mulkey, nice smokey-eye there, game-planned to perfection.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was a good game but Baylor just has them outgunned this year. It's not just Griner. That's not to say UConn can't beat them when they play next if they get a few breaks.

Reaction Score

Griner is amazing and for sure the most physically gifted player I've ever seen. She may end up being one of the top 5 women players of all time, but Taurasi is the best female player ever, at least at the college level.

Taurasi has 3 championships, two of which she put a young team with no All Americans on her back and went all the way.

I think Sims is just as important to Baylor's success as Griner.

And Uconn is definitely the team to beat next year. Last night, Uconn had to double and triple team Griner, leaving Baylor players wide open for layups.

If Uconn is a possession or two away from beating Baylor with Griner, I don't see how Uconn would not be favored by 8-10 next year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But seriously what is up with that picture?
Mulky was bragging about her glut workout and Geno was just checking to see if they actually were rock hard.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We complain about reffing in the men's games, but some of the officiating was just brutal last night, especially for a top game. Took both teams out of the flow for long stretches.

Reaction Score
This game was a blast to watch, though losing is never fun. Still we will most likely be playing them again. Thank god grinder is a senior!

Reaction Score
Doty is killing them. Great kid who has been through a lot but she can't shoot very well any longer and turns it over too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom