UConn women | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn women

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There are some fans on the women's board that are in the UConn women's bubble. I get the sense some of them don't watch any men's college or NBA hoops and it leads them to say some outlandish and disrespectful things. At least that's what I gathered a few years back, hopefully it's changed. If you are a UConn fan you should root like hell for all UConn sports, the women's team is easy because they are so good.
The majority of posters over on the women's board are guys over 65. They talk about Red Auerbach and his contemporaries, not LeBron James. They're just coming from a different perspective than the majority of men's board posters.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The majority of posters over on the women's board are guys over 65. They talk about Red Auerbach and his contemporaries, not LeBron James. They're just coming from a different perspective than the majority of men's board posters.

Uhm, I'm a guy, and 65 was a half-dozen years ago. I still appreciate Red, and Russell is still my all time favorite player. But I appreciate the hell out of NCAAM and NCAAW basketball, as well as today's NBA, International ball, etc.

As Basketball Jones once said, "My basketball is like a basketball to me." Yeah, it doesn't make any sense, but I'm 100% positive the both Cheech and Chong were kinda stoned when they wrote it. Let's just leave it at any basketball junkie will appreciate anything where the ball ends up going through the hoop.

Reaction Score
That's a big hypothetical on Geno having more titles than Cal considering he's never coached the men's game.

If I am not mistaken, Geno coached a CT AAU team when his son was in high school. It was not a team loaded with D1 talent but went quite far on the national level. The guy can coach. Simple as that. One of the all time greats. I wouldn't even begin to question how well he would do if coaching a men's team. This post is coming from a men's season ticket holder from the late 60's.

Reaction Score
Uhm, I'm a guy, and 65 was a half-dozen years ago. I still appreciate Red, and Russell is still my all time favorite player. But I appreciate the hell out of NCAAM and NCAAW basketball, as well as today's NBA, International ball, etc.

As Basketball Jones once said, "My basketball is like a basketball to me." Yeah, it doesn't make any sense, but I'm 100% positive the both Cheech and Chong were kinda stoned when they wrote it. Let's just leave it at any basketball junkie will appreciate anything where the ball ends up going through the hoop.

such a true statement. I will watch anything hoops related, its like a drug to me . which is why i don't get elitists who say "college ball is not worthy of my time", grassroots is everything to me, I watch streaming hs (tanager sports) and eybl games for god sake. NBA is the highest level which is why i follow it religiously and pay for league pass, so it goes both ways because many people crap on the nba with no reason here.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
goshdarn. She apparently put up 19 and 9 and at Duke and will have this year to get even better.

I hope one day Geno tries the men's game. The guy is truly a legendary coach. Casual fans assume he gets the top 5 players every year but there are a handful of teams that recruit on the same level. He is just that special sauce.
Some folks think that Azura would be the NPOY this year if she were playing. She's a 6'6" inside/outside player with guard skills.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They tried that at UNC a few years ago. I think they all transferred.
DeShields organized a mass verbal on Cinco de Mayo along with Mavunga, Gray, and Washington. Diamond bailed after 1 year; the other 3 left the following year. To challenge UConn, they would have to be very good AND team players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Williams is a great athlete. Didn't Geno switch her to play forward from guard?
I am impressed at how Katy Lou has become a pretty gritty, multi-faceted player.
Great coach.
As noted, Gabby finished 5th at the Olympic trials in the high jump at age 15. She had one of the highest jumps EVER for a high school girl.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken, Geno coached a CT AAU team when his son was in high school. It was not a team loaded with D1 talent but went quite far on the national level. The guy can coach. Simple as that. One of the all time greats. I wouldn't even begin to question how well he would do if coaching a men's team. This post is coming from a men's season ticket holder from the late 60's.
Geno is an awesome coach but please with him coaching his sons AAU team, you know what I meant. Comparing someone coaching an AAU team successfully to someone coaching at the highest level of success in men's college bball is silly. If someone compared Wayne Simone to Calhoun you would slap them upside the head.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Of course there are men over 65 who follow NCAAM and the NBA; I didn't say there weren't. I'm just saying that the men who post on the women's board don't follow today's NBA because they're stuck in the Auerbach years, they admire the Princeton offense, and they don't like dunking, for some reason. That's why they're on the women's board and not over here and that's why they have trouble appreciating the men's team.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Of course there are men over 65 who follow NCAAM and the NBA; I didn't say there weren't. I'm just saying that the men who post on the women's board don't follow today's NBA because they're stuck in the Auerbach years, they admire the Princeton offense, and they don't like dunking, for some reason. That's why they're on the women's board and not over here and that's why they have trouble appreciating the men's team.

I think many of us like intelligent play, the old Celtics provided that, and the UConn women are the best.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As mentioned previously, top 5 in the country in the high jump (Olympic adult level) as a 15 year old. Yep, she can jump a little.
Can we disguise her and put her on the men's team as a walk on?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
No slight to Geno but he would make a great AAU/high school men's coach, when parents still had a huge influence on what a player decides to do. College recruiting would be a big issue as it's all about your connections to the NBA and NBA do you watch the NBA they don't need coaches to teach, they have coaches to manage personalities.

Could you imagine Geno coaching Boogie and Rondo? Hilarious.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No slight to Geno but he would make a great AAU/high school men's coach, when parents still had a huge influence on what a player decides to do. College recruiting would be a big issue as it's all about your connections to the NBA and NBA do you watch the NBA they don't need coaches to teach, they have coaches to manage personalities.

I met a guy who played football in HS for a future HOF basketball coach - the guy coached football and bball at the HS.

He claims that coach didn't know a thing about football but the team ended up winning the state championship because he was such a great motivator.

I was joking, but I think if you gave Geno a decent staff, he would more fb games next year than crazy bob and it wouldn't be close.

Reaction Score
I think many of us like intelligent play, the old Celtics provided that, and the UConn women are the best.

You should check out the current NBA if you want to see some intelligent play, especially the Spurs and Warriors. For a basketball purist, there should be nothing better than the Warriors offense.

Reaction Score
You should check out the current NBA if you want to see some intelligent play, especially the Spurs and Warriors. For a basketball purist, there should be nothing better than the Warriors offense.

Agreed minus draymond green. Breaking people's fingers, kicking dudes between the legs and (dear god how) in the head is not pure basketball. He is ruining the reputation of that franchise and cost them a championship with his shenanigans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno is an awesome coach but please with him coaching his sons AAU team, you know what I meant. Comparing someone coaching an AAU team successfully to someone coaching at the highest level of success in men's college bball is silly. If someone compared Wayne Simone to Calhoun you would slap them upside the head.
I would refer you to JC's Centerstage interview where, when asked if Geno could coach men, he said "I'd like to see it." After the obligatory laughter, he said essentially no, I'd really like to see it. It would be different than what he's doing now, but he clearly a smart guy and great coach.

Reaction Score

He's a master psychologist! I think he would do well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom