OT: - UConn women’s LAX opens the post season | The Boneyard

OT: UConn women’s LAX opens the post season

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Huskies have been up and down through the years but this year may be a breakthrough? The team made the Big East championship in 2019, lost 2020 to Covid but is bouncing back in a big way. Now 11-5, the Huskies are in the hunt for a BE championship as the #2 seed. Believe it or not, Denver is the #1 seed in the Big East, LOL. DI Women's Lacrosse Rankings - NCAA Women's Lacrosse RPI | NCAA.com

Reaction Score
Not surprising that Denver is the #1 seed. They are quite the lacrosse school. Their men's team has been in the final four of the men's tournament several times in recent history if I recall correctly. Now the idea that they are in the Big East conference for lacrosse does make one chuckle, but there aren't many power lacrosse conferences in the Rockies, so they need to play in a conference with some competition to get national exposure.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not surprising that Denver is the #1 seed. They are quite the lacrosse school. Their men's team has been in the final four of the men's tournament several times in recent history if I recall correctly. Now the idea that they are in the Big East conference for lacrosse does make one chuckle, but there aren't many power lacrosse conferences in the Rockies, so they need to play in a conference with some competition to get national exposure.
You would think Denver would be in the ACC. Syracuse has been a LAX power for years and I believe there are others in that league.

Reaction Score
I agree that makes sense, but I don't know what the ACC requires in terms of school size, participation in other sports, etc. Johns Hopkins men's and women's lacrosse plays in the B1G for instance. Geographically it would make more sense for them to be in the ACC and Denver to be in the B1G. Other ACC lacrosse powers are Duke, Notre Dame and UNC Chapel Hill. The B1G has Maryland and Ohio State in addition to Hopkins.

Reaction Score
As a longtime East Coast transplant to the Rocky Mountain region, (relevant in relation to lax), I'm going to take the opportunity to chime in on this discussion. My daughters are grown and have moved on, but I was fully involved throughout their high school and limited collegiate careers in Utah as parent, coach, and UT Lacrosse Association board member.

The fact is there are only 8 D1&2 NCAA programs in all of men's lacrosse east of the Mississippi: D1 (Air Force; Denver; Utah) and D2 (Adams State CO; CO Mesa; CO St. Pueblo; Notre Dame de Namur CA; Westminster UT). The good news is women are substantially better represented with almost a dozen programs in D1 and twice that many in D2 alone.

As a former Woman Ute parent my comment regards the situation there. Both men and women enjoyed relatively longstanding and successful clubs for a number of years. Fortunately for the men, a few years ago a benefactor came along and made a donation that was apparently substantial enough to catapult their program instantly into NCAA D1 status. Much like Denver, once committed the Utes hired a successful east coast-based coach to come west and lend an instant air of legitimacy. Unfortunately for the Ute men, they stand as the sole PAC12 representative.

Unfortunately for the Ute women, said donation was specifically earmarked for the men, and the women remain a club with all the trials and tribulations that entails. From my perspective this is rather tragic as PAC12 women's lacrosse is already represented by 6 programs and it would be a natural for Utah Ute Women's Lacrosse!

Reaction Score
Nan, thank you for keeping us posted on what some of the other outstanding Husky team are doing in the Big East and NCAA tournaments. Otherwise they might slip under the radar and not get the exposure they so richly deserve.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The fact is there are only 8 D1&2 NCAA programs in all of men's lacrosse east of the Mississippi: D1 (Air Force; Denver; Utah) and D2 (Adams State CO; CO Mesa; CO St. Pueblo; Notre Dame de Namur CA; Westminster UT). The good news is women are substantially better represented with almost a dozen programs in D1 and twice that many in D2 alone.
!

I was listening on the radio today, and they mentioned that High Point won the SoCon Championship today. They are in the Big South for all sports, but they don't sponsor lacrosse. Anyway... looked at who else was in the Socon for lacrosse....and it shocked me to see Air Force was a member. :eek:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Big East Final game live on FS2 (1) Denver - (2) UConn tied at 2. 20' left in first half

I would not mention UConn plays LAX to Nika. ;););)

Reaction Score
After the Big East split in 2013, the conference needed a 6th men’s lacrosse school to maintain its auto bid. Denver was one of the strongest teams out there looking for a better home,

The ACC does not have affiliate members in any of its sports.

Denver women’s team was looking for a new home after the PAC schools left the MPSF. Joining the same conf as the men made sense for both sides.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
After the Big East split in 2013, the conference needed a 6th men’s lacrosse school to maintain its auto bid. Denver was one of the strongest teams out there looking for a better home,

The ACC does not have affiliate members in any of its sports.

Denver women’s team was looking for a new home after the PAC schools left the MPSF. Joining the same conf as the men made sense for both sides.
and now we are down 11-7 with 9 minutes left. :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom