UConn women’s basketball freshman Caroline Ducharme making impact: ‘She surprises you every day’ | The Boneyard

UConn women’s basketball freshman Caroline Ducharme making impact: ‘She surprises you every day’

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
At this time I don't see how Caroline continues to surprise anyone with her play. "Geno, the Boneyard saw her abilities. Geno, are you saying the Boneyard is one up on you?" ;):rolleyes:"Auriemma has been raving about her since training camp. Now he envisions Ducharme on the court with Fudd as UConn prepares for March."

"Ducharme, 6-foot-2, came to UConn with a reputation as a gifted offensive player, especially from the perimeter. The Katie Lou Samuelson comp was out there. But her game is diverse. Her defense has been strong, both on the perimeter and in the paint. She shows a willingness to drive to the hoop — remember her last-second layup to beat DePaul? — and she displays a toughness under the basket."

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and her radio interview. after game. You can't get her to say anything about her own performance. Just team

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
ok......having Ducharme, Fudd and Bueckers on the floor at the same time might leave Olivia and Dorka as the next 2. However, many combinations exist. This will be a treat for Geno.

Four legit 3-point threats in that line-up. Would leave a lot of operating space inside. Not sure it will come to pass, but it would be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Four legit 3-point threats in that line-up. Would leave a lot of operating space inside. Not sure it will come to pass, but it would be fun to watch.
Well it will be next year definitely and you just switch out Liv and replace with Aaliyah. BTW- I believe Dorka will stay and keep building her inside game to prepare for the pro ranks. You can tell that is something she is focusing on by how her down low play has improved over her tOSU years.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Having a true 3 is a luxury! Bradley and Havlicek are great similarities from my generation!
They are. It appears Caroline likes the comparison with her number's (#33) namesake Larry Bird. Her athleticism and Bird's are on a par. Did you know Havlicek was drafted by the Cleveland Browns as a wide receiver? I just learned this recently.

Reaction Score
They are. It appears Caroline likes the comparison with her number's (#33) namesake Larry Bird. Her athleticism and Bird's are on a par. Did you know Havlicek was drafted by the Cleveland Browns as a wide receiver? I just learned this recently.
I do remember! The old stuff I remember…..just don’t ask what I had for dinner last night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree that 4 3-point threats would be unique and wonderful line-up but in a sense, you are under selling the offensive skills of Caroline, Fudd, Williams and Paige. While we have had great jump shooters like KLS, she rarely drove, posted up or created her own offense. Never seen four players who could do it all.

Reaction Score
Paige is a much better 3-point shooter than 31%, she just has not played any games since December to raise her shooting percentage. IMO, a 35% 3-pont shooting percentage makes you a threat. Anything over 40% makes you elite. I'd say we have 3 players who are 3-point threats and one player who you still have to pay attention to most times. Add in in NM and EW's occasional 3s and you have 6 players who can make enough threes to keep teams honest.

Reaction Score
They had three bigs on the court in Olivia, Aaliyah and Amari. Lots of combinations to play; hopefully, Geno plays the right combinations at the right time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The thing is, none of those shooters are afraid to put up a three and defenders have to respect, and defend, that. While the shot may not go in, it will help open up a lane in the paint for a higher percentage shot from a post player.

I would add Nika as a perimeter threat.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The thing is, none of those shooters are afraid to put up a three and defenders have to respect, and defend, that. While the shot may not go in, it will help open up a lane in the paint for a higher percentage shot from a post player.

I would add Nika as a perimeter threat.
Not to mention Dorka.

What other top teams have better perimeter shooting? Do South Carolina or Stanford have four 30% plus 3-point shooters who take a comparable volume of shots? Isn't it safer for defenses to pack the paint against those teams than against UConn?

Reaction Score
I think Caroline's percentage will go up too. When she had to be the offense, due to injuries to some players and reluctance to shoot of others, she was forced to shoot quickly or take lower percentage shots. Now that Azzi is playing & lighting it up, and Nika is started to show a decent stroke (including a pull-up jumper), Caroline can take more time and be more selective. Love her willingness to play near the basket- this opens things up more for the other shooters. When (not if) Paige starts to play again, it'll get even better.

Just have to shore up the turnovers. Why do we keep passing into crowds?

Reaction Score

Oh yes, I remember that, and he had a heartbeat of only 40 too from all the running he did.

I certainly know my share of dubious trivia. :eek:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Oh yes, I remember that, and he had a heartbeat of only 40 too from all the running he did.
I certainly know my share of dubious trivia. :eek:
At one time I had a heart rate in the low 40s. Fortunately the doctor cured what was ailing me. :)

Reaction Score
I think Caroline's percentage will go up too. When she had to be the offense, due to injuries to some players and reluctance to shoot of others, she was forced to shoot quickly or take lower percentage shots. Now that Azzi is playing & lighting it up, and Nika is started to show a decent stroke (including a pull-up jumper), Caroline can take more time and be more selective. Love her willingness to play near the basket- this opens things up more for the other shooters. When (not if) Paige starts to play again, it'll get even better.

Just have to shore up the turnovers. Why do we keep passing into crowds?
Someone should put together a "highlight" video of the absolutely ridiculous passes from yesterday. Plenty of material to work with. Did you see the 2-bounce bounce pass? Amazing it wasn't stolen. Maybe the defense was laughing too hard. The kids have to take some pride and reduce these dumb passes. They certainly can't pass that way against better teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom