UCONN wins in spite of Geno | The Boneyard

UCONN wins in spite of Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wasn't thrilled with the intentional fouling either. Thought it was poor strategy to begin with considering how much time was left. Things like Nurse's inadvertent foul on the shot happen when you make players foul intentionally.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Frankly Geno's one court decisions were good and usually effective. I think he called more timeouts this game than he did all of last year. The call at the end to foul just wasn't picked up by Nurse in time to prevent the shot by Brown.

Reaction Score
I believe the point of this post was the mis-communication with Nurse on the foul. It appeared that Geno thought the team had another foul to give, and they did not. This is usually the responsibility of one of the assistant coaches; I expect that one of them will be running laps or fetching tea for Geno, tomorrow.

I will note that Geno was very calm for most of the game, while the officials were tanking the game. I almost looked like that Stanford game not too long ago, where he looked like he was OK losing the game to end the streak and take the pressure off. ALMOST...he didn't look that way after the SNAFU with Nurse and the foul.

Reaction Score
Please explain.
The intentional fouling wasn't properly explained to the players. He was instructing them while the game was in play and there was too much confusion. He does not have a lot experience with games like this; fir obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
All of these faux pas will b cleaned up before Thursday.
Baylor has a big team and the only big person we have is Butler, whi he hesitates to play too much.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
homer.jpg

Reaction Score
Geno held them together. What a barn burner. A lesser squad, one without character, might have folded. Saniya, six for six, and Collier came to play. But they showed toughness and the defense stiffened, the zone the difference, holding FSU under 40%.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Baylor has a big team and the only big person we have is Butler, whi he hesitates to play too much.

All we can do is play the cards we're dealt. He may start Butler Thursday. He can't afford to fall behind at the start of the game, and play catch up the rest of the night.
You can't put Lou on her, two quick fouls in the 1st quarter, and she sits the rest of the half. Then you go to plan B......whatever that is. He'll figure out something, he always does. Geno earned his money tonight.

Reaction Score
Certainly a gritty win, something to build on and plenty that can/will improve. A solid B would be my grade. Refs C minus.

Reaction Score
He coached terribly in the last two minutes.
Just in from Parent Conferences... I have the game DVRed and I know the outcome. They were playing the #12 team in the Nation. Do not expect to win by 50 every game. That being said I also noticed 40 fouls in the game. Before I watch I am curious if I am going to be unhappy with how it was called. At least it is a win. Two of our players fouled out???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just in from Parent Conferences... I have the game DVRed and I know the outcome. They were playing the #12 team in the Nation. Do not expect to win by 50 every game. That being said I also noticed 40 fouls in the game. Before I watch I am curious if I am going to be unhappy with how it was called. At least it is a win. Two of our players fouled out???
Both Nurse and Chong fouled out on intentional fouls. Not the best choice of fouls.

Reaction Score
Crystal is planing much better than L Cox (zero point tonight) ...LOL

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight. You went to a Parent Conference instead of watching the game live??? :)

JordyG

Reaction Score
I believe the point of this post was the mis-communication with Nurse on the foul. It appeared that Geno thought the team had another foul to give, and they did not. This is usually the responsibility of one of the assistant coaches; I expect that one of them will be running laps or fetching tea for Geno, tomorrow.

I will note that Geno was very calm for most of the game, while the officials were tanking the game. I almost looked like that Stanford game not too long ago, where he looked like he was OK losing the game to end the streak and take the pressure off. ALMOST...he didn't look that way after the SNAFU with Nurse and the foul.
Not really. He knew the next was a shooting foul which is what he wanted. He also wanted the end of the game to be a mutual march to the foul line. What he didn't want was for Nurse to foul, nor did he want a foul in the pursuit of a 3 pt shot. Trust me, these things will get ironed out by March.

JordyG

Reaction Score
There were some iffy calls, but mostly the officiating was better than average, which is a plus for WCBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom