OT: - UConn wins again...in football! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn wins again...in football!

Reaction Score
The Wing-Bone is always a pain in the behind to defend. But Army football is not what it used to be back when they would face teams like ND every season. Army has significantly downgraded their schedule playing basically mid-major FBS teams as well as several FCS teams (Villanova & Colgate). Army has lost 3 games to mid-major teams: Coastal Carolina, UTSA and Georgia St. If UConn is disciplined on defense the Huskies should win this one.
Interesting. I have always thought it was a wing-T offense. Never heard wing-bone before.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting. I have always thought it was a wing-T offense. Never heard wing-bone before.
Emory Bellard, the offensive coordinator at TX in the 60’s is generally credited with creating the triple-option, Wishbone offense, which aligns a fullback directly behind the QB and 2 halfbacks on either side and deeper in the backfield. Later on, as the HC at MS St in the late 70’s, Bellard “broke the bone” moving the halfbacks to wing alignments on both ends of the offensive line.

The wing-bone is still a triple-option offense, but it employs a lot more motion and misdirection than the wishbone. As I indicated, it is a pain in the behind to defend.

The Wing-T offense is ancient, having been created by Pop Warner in the early 1900’s under a much different set of rules. The principle advantages of the Wing-T were misdirection and the ability to pass the football, something that was not all that common in football during the early 1900’s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Emory Bellard, the offensive coordinator at TX in the 60’s is generally credited with creating the triple-option, Wishbone offense, which aligns a fullback directly behind the QB and 2 halfbacks on either side and deeper in the backfield. Later on, as the HC at MS St in the late 70’s, Bellard “broke the bone” moving the halfbacks to wing alignments on both ends of the offensive line.

The wing-bone is still a triple-option offense, but it employs a lot more motion and misdirection than the wishbone. As I indicated, it is a pain in the behind to defend.

The Wing-T offense is ancient, having been created by Pop Warner in the early 1900’s under a much different set of rules. The principle advantages of the Wing-T were misdirection and the ability to pass the football, something that was not all that common in football during the early 1900’s.
Thank you! Great insight and info! Camden County, GA still uses the wing-t. Maybe why they haven't won in a while....

Reaction Score
Now if we can get a real football facility and home field to attract eager fans. CT has some great high school football teams and fans who either travel to NJ or MA for football I'd love to be a season ticket holder for Uconn football and have some great tailgating maybe one host ESPN college gameday and join the ACC whoa baby !!!... lets go huskies!!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now if we can get a real football facility and home field to attract eager fans. CT has some great high school football teams and fans who either travel to NJ or MA for football I'd love to be a season ticket holder for Uconn football and have some great tailgating maybe one host ESPN college gameday and join the ACC whoa baby !!!... lets go huskies!!!!
Thanks for the laugh. The Rent is a "real" FB facility. Locals may take it for granted but BC fans who visited for the first time on Saturday gave the place raves. And when you say "CT has some great high school football teams and fans who either travel to NJ or MA for football", it sounds like you mean they travel instead of coming to UConn games. I suppose this is technically true but could you define "some" for me? Like 20 people, I'm thinking.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the laugh. The Rent is a "real" FB facility. Locals may take it for granted but BC fans who visited for the first time on Saturday gave the place raves. And when you say "CT has some great high school football teams and fans who either travel to NJ or MA for football", it sounds like you mean they travel instead of coming to UConn games. I suppose this is technically true but could you define "some" for me? Like 20 people, I'm thinking.
The rent is a nice place but it is not a state-of-the-art part of recruiting is having state-of-the-art facilities that recruits will want to come to pursue their athletic career. Uconn has produced pro players but it does not recruit well enough the basketball program has a state-of-the-art palace in the Werth center but the football program is lacking. I guess you must be laughing to stop from crying and it's ok but last I checked this was a forum where you spoke your opinion and I simply stated mine but thank you anyway for your attempt to belittle my opinion yours will be valued and appreciated..have a blessed life my friend

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But what percent of that market watches NCAA football - much less UConn football ( but cf Rutgers)
The Boston-NYC market? Quite a few, actually

Getting fans in the seats is why Edsall 2.0 is done and why HC Jim Mora is here. This year was a total rebuild job and it was a task made difficult by the inherited level of talent. Mora recruited heavily from the transfer portal and brought on new blood. But most importantly, he got 100% of the roster to buy into putting 100% effort on every play, every game.

His efforts are paying off. Edsall was 6-22 in 3 seasons + 2 games; Mora is 4-5 only 9 games in and the Huskies have an outside chance of being bowl eligible this year. It’s astonishing. This with 7-8 key players on offense out for the season with injuries, including the starting quarterback. Where will the team be in 5 years? Maybe attractive enough for a p5 conference?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The rent is a nice place but it is not a state-of-the-art part of recruiting is having state-of-the-art facilities that recruits will want to come to pursue their athletic career. Uconn has produced pro players but it does not recruit well enough the basketball program has a state-of-the-art palace in the Werth center but the football program is lacking. I guess you must be laughing to stop from crying and it's ok but last I checked this was a forum where you spoke your opinion and I simply stated mine but thank you anyway for your attempt to belittle my opinion yours will be valued and appreciated..have a blessed life my friend
Have you seen the Shenkman Center on campus?

Reaction Score
Not for the Big Money boys.You gotta get your attendance numbers up and keep them there. SEC and Big = 50,000 seats minimum and history of solid attendance.

ACC is gonna wait on Notre Dame for eternity.

Big 12? Lotta travel for your “minor sports but maybe doable with WBA and Cincy not too far. How do you help them increase their TV contract value.

PAC? Just too much travel.
I remember reading an article about six years ago that reported that the stadium was designed and constructed for a 10,000 seat expansion. However, I’m sure we would need to be at or near capacity on a frequent basis before expansion would be considered. More recently, I read that the stadium requires renovations to the tune of $60 million, which could push any plans for a more immediate expansion out to the right hand side of the schedule.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the Shenkman Center on campus?

I stand corrected seems like a nice facility how is the weight room? and yes I agree coaching makes a difference and Jim Mora certainly has made an impact. Hopefully, because of the other athletic programs, they can join the ACC and renew some old BE rivalries..thx HuskyNan or is it SheNan aka she hulk...lol

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I stand corrected seems like a nice facility how is the weight room? and yes I agree coaching makes a difference and Jim Mora certainly has made an impact. Hopefully, because of the other athletic programs, they can join the ACC and renew some old BE rivalries..thx HuskyNan or is it SheNan aka she hulk...lol
This is a 2:20 minute video on the facilities. Must be for recruits; it’s pretty slick

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: The Liberty at UConn game Saturday at noon is on CBS Sports.
The LIberty at Arkansas game today at 4:00 is on the SEC Network...maybe
viewed as a scouting opportunity for UConn football experts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom