UConn will win it all this season | The Boneyard

UConn will win it all this season

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive been reading the posts and I cant believe how many fans are concerned UConn will lose a game. Most of it is because of UConns lack of height and its all because UConn didnt blow out Texas like many of us thought they would before the game. I for one thought UConn would win by 30+ and I was wrong but I still think they shouldve won by alot. Why didnt they? The crowd, the great start that Texas had and how they maintained that momentum for the entire game. Understand Texas hasnt done that this year and has lost a couple of games they shouldve won. It was one game. This weekend will tell us alot about some of the top teams as Texas plays Baylor . Mississippi State plays Tenn, Tenn plays ND Thursday(tomorrow). Mississippi State has 2 wins against ranked teams. MissSt beat AZSt by 8 and Oregon by 11 that doesnt scare me. Tenn beat Texas (who we beat by 5 at Texas) by 7 at home and beat South Carolina by 16 without Wilson that doesnt scare me. Texas lost to Tenn by 7 lost to TCU by 2 beat Fl ST by 15,beat Virgina Tech by 21 beat OKST by 5 . Baylor lost to UCLA by 14, and beat up on Stanford and Kentucky.

All these top teams will now play ranked teams in their conferences. So we wait and see how they perform. As of right now I have no concerns about UConn winning. I do have concerns that we had a couple of close games. I consider the ND a wakup call and the Texas game a measuring stick showing how good UConn is without their A game. Texas imo played out of their minds considering the other games theyve played. They played a terrific game at home in a crazy environment and still lost. Give UConn credit for that. UConn shot the ball and didnt have their A game. That tells me alot. The Texas game also exposed our weaknesses and showed us how to win without our A game. Thats impressive.

So this weekend lets see how all these teams play against ranked teams. Lets see how they handle themselves in these big games. We have already seen what UConn can do in big games. They are undefeated against ranked teams and most of those games were on the road. The Texas game scared alot of you. Many of you lost some confidence in our team because of the way Texas hung in there. Alot of that had to do with the environment and UConns foul trouble. Take those 2 things away and UConn wins by double digits imo. Of course we will never know.

Geno is a great coach and will make adjustments and continue to develop Z along with everybody else. We dont have to worry about that. Remember against a very tuff schedule against alot of ranked teams UConn is undefeated. UConn has played a very difficult schedule up to this point and the other top teams havent. UConn still has 2 big games left against South Carolina and LVille. The other top teams have tuff conference games. Lets see how it plays out before we panic.

Based on what Ive seen so far we are very poised and poised in hostile environments on the road. We may not win every game by double digits but I like our chances of going undefeated and winning the NC. Some of you dont and I know that and Im sure will post differently and thats OK.

Reaction Score
I agree that Texas played above themselves, and credit them for rising to the challenge and the excitement of the crowd. It’s pretty evident that the Huskies coming to town gets a lot of competitive juices flowing for coaches and players.

However, I also think the natural human reaction of rooting for the underdog has led to a slight imbalance on the reffing, allowing a bit of overly rough play to impact the game as well. I’ve rewatched the game on my iPad and my take is that between no calls and weird calls the game probably should have been closer to a ten point win.

But as the wise Geno has made clear, the team can’t gripe about that and has to overcome the extra obstacle. And as you happily observe, they did again!

Reaction Score
Thanks Tonyc for the optimism and the statistics. I really need this. Was in the dump since yesterday with my main computer suddenly crashed and not recognizing the drives in the bios so cannot get into windows 10 to do diagnostics. It's tough when the motherboard does not see any drives. I have been building computers for a very long time and have only encountered this problem once or twice due to incompatibilities. Nan's post " I am tired..." depressed me even more. UConn did not look good in the Texas game, too many turnovers, not enough rebounds, weak post defenses among many others weaknesses. But they won in a tough environment. Think it went something like " What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" or something like that. So hopefully the rest of this season will prove you right. I surely hope so!!!

Reaction Score
Ive been reading the posts and I cant believe how many fans are concerned UConn will lose a game. Most of it is because of UConns lack of height and its all because UConn didnt blow out Texas like many of us thought they would before the game. I for one thought UConn would win by 30+ and I was wrong but I still think they shouldve won by alot. Why didnt they? The crowd, the great start that Texas had and how they maintained that momentum for the entire game. Understand Texas hasnt done that this year and has lost a couple of games they shouldve won. It was one game. This weekend will tell us alot about some of the top teams as Texas plays Baylor . Mississippi State plays Tenn, Tenn plays ND Thursday(tomorrow). Mississippi State has 2 wins against ranked teams. MissSt beat AZSt by 8 and Oregon by 11 that doesnt scare me. Tenn beat Texas (who we beat by 5 at Texas) by 7 at home and beat South Carolina by 16 without Wilson that doesnt scare me. Texas lost to Tenn by 7 lost to TCU by 2 beat Fl ST by 15,beat Virgina Tech by 21 beat OKST by 5 . Baylor lost to UCLA by 14, and beat up on Stanford and Kentucky.

All these top teams will now play ranked teams in their conferences. So we wait and see how they perform. As of right now I have no concerns about UConn winning. I do have concerns that we had a couple of close games. I consider the ND a wakup call and the Texas game a measuring stick showing how good UConn is without their A game. Texas imo played out of their minds considering the other games theyve played. They played a terrific game at home in a crazy environment and still lost. Give UConn credit for that. UConn shot the ball and didnt have their A game. That tells me alot. The Texas game also exposed our weaknesses and showed us how to win without our A game. Thats impressive.

So this weekend lets see how all these teams play against ranked teams. Lets see how they handle themselves in these big games. We have already seen what UConn can do in big games. They are undefeated against ranked teams and most of those games were on the road. The Texas game scared alot of you. Many of you lost some confidence in our team because of the way Texas hung in there. Alot of that had to do with the environment and UConns foul trouble. Take those 2 things away and UConn wins by double digits imo. Of course we will never know.

Geno is a great coach and will make adjustments and continue to develop Z along with everybody else. We dont have to worry about that. Remember against a very tuff schedule against alot of ranked teams UConn is undefeated. UConn has played a very difficult schedule up to this point and the other top teams havent. UConn still has 2 big games left against South Carolina and LVille. The other top teams have tuff conference games. Lonets see how it plays out before we panic.

Based on what Ive seen so far we are very poised and poised in hostile environments on the road. We may not win every game by double digits but I like our chances of going undefeated and winning the NC. Some of you dont and I know that and Im sure will post differently and thats OK.
\

Tonyc--your next to the last paragraph--is great--the rest is accurate, as usual.
This is a great team--not perfect--When all 6 are operating at top level and are not being mugged--they are the best of the best.

I differ with you in that---TX did not expose weakness--Tx used those weakness that were exposed early in the year---AND Uconn had the SAME weakness last season--these are not new. The base weakness are Uconn is a Rhythm team. The word is out--foul on nearly every shot attempt--bump and push - hold --Don't allow Uconn to make their passes into the post. Out rebound Uconn and they can't fast break---that will happen again. Gabby's and Napheesa' passing game was cut off.
Also what was exposed: Azura with precise passes from Danger is usually an early score.
This is not a knock on Gabby because she is just great: But I wonder if she has eye trouble or her headaches are effecting her seeing. Gabby is better than she was lately--

Reaction Score

Geno is a great coach and will make adjustments and continue to develop Z along with everybody else. We dont have to worry about that. Remember against a very tuff schedule against alot of ranked teams UConn is undefeated. UConn has played a very difficult schedule up to this point and the other top teams havent. UConn still has 2 big games left against South Carolina and LVille. The other top teams have tuff conference games. Lets see how it plays out before we panic.

Nice work. I agree with you. While we have had some "closer than expected " games... we are 16 -0 playing one of toughest schedules in NCAA. The USF game, VS a decent team showed what can be done, and I believe it will be the kind of ball our gals will play come conference time.

Reaction Score

Always appreciate your positivity ...................I'm waiting for the next two out of conference games before I make any firm judgements about this year's team...............After a few strong out of conference victories the last two performances have been gritty and gutsy but not the super efficient kind of basketball that we are used to seeing............I sense there are some here who believe that we saw what currently passes for UConn's "A" game against Notre Dame and Texas...........I'm confident that this is not the case..........

Reaction Score
I agree that Texas played above themselves, and credit them for rising to the challenge and the excitement of the crowd. It’s pretty evident that the Huskies coming to town gets a lot of competitive juices flowing for coaches and players.

However, I also think the natural human reaction of rooting for the underdog has led to a slight imbalance on the reffing, allowing a bit of overly rough play to impact the game as well. I’ve rewatched the game on my iPad and my take is that between no calls and weird calls the game probably should have been closer to a ten point win.

But as the wise Geno has made clear, the team can’t gripe about that and has to overcome the extra obstacle. And as you happily observe, they did again!
Of course KA would say they were playing up to their potential, and I don’t necessarily disagree.

Reaction Score
We may not win every game by double digits but I like our chances of going undefeated and winning the NC.
Me too. But you know what? Based on what I saw in the game against Texas, I am not sure how much I would really care if UConn did not go undefeated and did not win the NC. Make no mistake; I absolutely love this team. But it is not absolutely imperative that they win every single game, every single year. What is more, I was very pleased to see just how well Texas played, and it is my hope and expectation that more teams continue to become competitive and narrow the gap between the best and the worst.

We've got some great games in store over the course of the next 2 1/2 months. So let's enjoy the ride! We don't need WCBB to make us feel miserable; we're perfectly capable of doing that on our own.

Reaction Score
Charli Collier was at the Texas game along with some other recruits.............I wonder what she was thinking?

Reaction Score
Ive been reading the posts and I cant believe how many fans are concerned UConn will lose a game. Most of it is because of UConns lack of height and its all because UConn didnt blow out Texas like many of us thought they would before the game. I for one thought UConn would win by 30+ and I was wrong but I still think they shouldve won by alot. Why didnt they? The crowd, the great start that Texas had and how they maintained that momentum for the entire game. Understand Texas hasnt done that this year and has lost a couple of games they shouldve won. It was one game. This weekend will tell us alot about some of the top teams as Texas plays Baylor . Mississippi State plays Tenn, Tenn plays ND Thursday(tomorrow). Mississippi State has 2 wins against ranked teams. MissSt beat AZSt by 8 and Oregon by 11 that doesnt scare me. Tenn beat Texas (who we beat by 5 at Texas) by 7 at home and beat South Carolina by 16 without Wilson that doesnt scare me. Texas lost to Tenn by 7 lost to TCU by 2 beat Fl ST by 15,beat Virgina Tech by 21 beat OKST by 5 . Baylor lost to UCLA by 14, and beat up on Stanford and Kentucky. ETC

TONY: SOOTHING AS ALWAYS!

Reaction Score
Me too. But you know what? Based on what I saw in the game against Texas, I am not sure how much I would really care if UConn did not go undefeated and did not win the NC. Make no mistake; I absolutely love this team. But it is not absolutely imperative that they win every single game, every single year. What is more, I was very pleased to see just how well Texas played, and it is my hope and expectation that more teams continue to become competitive and narrow the gap between the best and the worst.

We've got some great games in store over the course of the next 2 1/2 months. So let's enjoy the ride! WeI don't need WCBB to make us feel miserable; we're perfectly capable of doing that on our own.

You are a true fan. That is how I think---I'd like them to win, true. But should they lose a couple or not the NC--that wouldn't bother me much.
I don't need braggin right --- Thanks for this.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I tend to think that Uconn will win it all this year as well, but ...
I will not be overly surprised if we do not. Basically you are saying you will take the bet 'Uconn vs. the field' when the NCAAs start and according to sites like 538 that is likely to be a good bet, just as according to the odds it would have been a good bet last year.

This is sport, and truly anything can happen. What surprises me is that the Uconn fan base seems to have forgotten that. Even the mighty Uconn has only accomplished 6 undefeated seasons. Stewart Jefferson and Tuck failed twice as freshman and as juniors. winning 37-40 games in a row is really really hard, and winning the last three games in the NCAAs is also really really hard.

And there is some really really good competition out there and the tournament is single elimination - the best team generally wins a 3 or 5 or 7 game series, the hot team on any given night can win a single game.

Geno claimed that his players played at Houston like they were 'entitled', my feeling is that the Uconn fan base is acting like they are entitled - to win each current game, to have perfection displayed by every player on the team in every game, and to have endless undefeated seasons, and every HS recruit that the coaches look at. (And to complain and denigrate when they do not get everything to which they think they are entitles.)

So endeth the rant! Head bang:rolleyes::cool: (not aimed at the OP or any of the posts in this thread.)

Reaction Score
If kls stays healthy uconn wins the nc easily. If teams don't get uconn this year they certainly won't next year when kls is a senior!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

We've got some great games in store over the course of the next 2 1/2 months. So let's enjoy the ride! We don't need WCBB to make us feel miserable; we're perfectly capable of doing that on our own.

I absolutely love the perspective of this post. I'm just to much of a Uconn rabid fan to give it a "like".

Reaction Score

Tony...you da man!

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Ive been reading the posts and I cant believe how many fans are concerned UConn will lose a game. Most of it is because of UConns lack of height and its all because UConn didnt blow out Texas like many of us thought they would before the game. I for one thought UConn would win by 30+ and I was wrong but I still think they shouldve won by alot. Why didnt they? The crowd, the great start that Texas had and how they maintained that momentum for the entire game. . . .

C'mon Tony. I like your posts but this one is a little flat.

First the crowd. If any team in WCBB is used to playing before large hostile crowds we have that team. It is hardly unusual for us to be playing away before record or near record crowds for the home team. Besides, let's face it, Danny was there.

The great start. Hmmm I think Geno said it best (paraphrasing here), "we were playing like we we were down 15 with 3 minutes to go rather than 10 minutes into the game". If anyone is able to put things into perspective, its him.

Momentum for the entire game??? really? At the end of every quarter (iirc) we were suffocating them on defense and scoring when we had the ball.

So why didn't we win by 30 (or 15 as I thought)? They played a great game, we played ok.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
C'mon Tony. I like your posts but this one is a little flat.

First the crowd. If any team in WCBB is used to playing before large hostile crowds we have that team. It is hardly unusual for us to be playing away before record or near record crowds for the home team. Besides, let's face it, Danny was there.

The great start. Hmmm I think Geno said it best (paraphrasing here), "we were playing like we we were down 15 with 3 minutes to go rather than 10 minutes into the game". If anyone is able to put things into perspective, its him.

Momentum for the entire game??? really? At the end of every quarter (iirc) we were suffocating them on defense and scoring when we had the ball.

So why didn't we win by 30 (or 15 as I thought)? They played a great game, we played ok.
One additional point about the start of the game. UConn started the game playing a matchup zone defense they’ve been fooling around with for weeks, and the experienced TX guards shredded it for 24 points in the 1st qtr. After that UConn went back to their tried and true man-to-man, holding TX to only 47 pts for the rest of the game.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
One additional point about the start of the game. UConn started the game playing a matchup zone defense they’ve been fooling around with for weeks, and the experienced TX guards shredded it for 24 points in the 1st qtr. After that UConn went back to their tried and true man-to-man, holding TX to only 47 pts for the rest of the game.

I noticed that the Texas 3 point shooters were wide open on the wings in the first quarter. The Uconn defender would come running over way to late. And it seemed like they didn't miss a shoot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom