UConn will beat ND | The Boneyard

UConn will beat ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I dont see UConn losing. A couple of my thoughts. Alot of UConn fans are down after the WVa game. Many fans have lost confidence in UConns ability to beat ND at ND.

I havent.

I have to wonder if Geno didnt want to show to much to ND againest WVa. It sounds silly but you have to wonder why the team executed the way they did after playing so well all season. Was Geno trying something different? I dont know why but one poor game is one poor game and Im willing to let it go .

Here are my thoughts on ND and UConn. Againest top teams UConn beat Stanford and TAM by double digets and had Baylor by 11 and hadnt reached the line. UConn lost to Baylor by single digets.

ND is blowing teams away and scoring alot of points many games over 90 pts and a couple over 100 pts with a couple of exceptions. At ND ND beat Duke by 2 after trailing most of the game and struggled againest Kentucky at home and lost to Baylor by double digets. One other point. Duke lost 56-54, Baylor scored 94 and Kentucky scored 83 againest NDs defense. I dont see ND scoring big numbers againest UConns defense.

Now if UConn comes out and plays like they did againest WVa they may lose but if they play like they did againest Stanford, TAM and Baylor I think they win.

When your scoring over 90 pts a game it usually means your making alot of layups againest a team who dosnt play well on defense and dosnt get back on fast breaks. It also means to me your not using half court sets and executing plays. If you were it would take time off the clock and thus not allowing you to score 90 -100 pts.

I expect a game in the 60's. I also expect UConns defense to suffacate ND. Hey I know its tuff playing at ND, they are a terrific team and have played together a long time. However we have height that should make it tuff for ND to get inside. Barring phantom calls like in the second half of the Final 4 last season UConn should win. UConn 68 ND 61

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
normally i'd agree with you Tony, given the comparison of other teams who each has played, but i really do think UCONN is "searching for an identity" a bit at this point in the season. our 3-point shooting was woeful against WVU and our post play was inconsistent to say the least. sure we looked like world beaters against Fairfield, but WVU's physical game made for a very ugly first half. still, we looked much better in the 2nd half.

i just see ND playing more cohesive team ball at this point, and i think the advantage Diggins at the PG spot gives them over Doty at our PG spot will go a long way in determining the outcome. i really do expect a close game but just think the game being at ND, a raucous crowd, and UCONN seemingly not firing on all cylinders at this point in the season spells a loss for us...

Reaction Score
I think the game will be decided not by how Diggins, Novosel, Hartley and Farris play. They will all play well. They are big game players. I think the key will be how much ND gets from Peters, Achonawa and McBride and what UConn gets from Dolson and KML. ( note I have not included Doty and ND's other guard who will offset each other). I believe KML and Dolson will score more than Peters, Achonawa and McBride, although I really worry about McBride having an outstanding game.

It looks like a toss up to me and will depend heavily on intensity and officiating.
I will never pick against Geno in a big game when the talent level is about even.
UConn by four.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Eric ND 2 pt 3pt turnovers
Kentucky 52% 39 22
Baylor 39% 17% 17
Duke 33% 25% 12

Uconn
Stanford 36% 22% 9
TAM 52% 35% 11
Baylor 42% 38% 13

I really like our chances. They turnover the ball more, and their shooting percentages arent good againest top teams. With our defense those numbers are in our favor. IMO the only way we lose is if we get in foul trouble and cant play defense or we cant throw the ball in the ocean.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well obviously i like your prediction better than mine, Tony. i really expect a close, hard fought game with several lead changes down the stretch. as someone else said, if the team plays the way they did for most of the Baylor game, Stanford, and aTm, i think we win. if the team plays the way they did the first half vs. WVU, i think we lose.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I am glad to see that Tony has not lost his confidence! Matter of fact, neither have I. Huskies by 10.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If we play bad we could lose, if ND plays bad they will lose. Againest quality teams it appears ND struggles handleing the ball and shooting the ball. We dont. We have height ND dosnt. UConns defense is at a whole different level then any team in WCBB on the upper scale. This will be a hard fought game, and should be a realatively close game. Barring foul trouble I expect UConn to cause alot of turnovers. I also expect because of the excitement in the building that ND will come out on fire and then settle down. If UConns defense takes over early it could be a long day for ND.

Reaction Score
I've always said that Tony is the most optimistic UCONN Fan! In this case I'm with you Tony; I to believe that UCONN will somehow find a way to beat Notre Dame. I know this is probably the best Notre Dame team ever, even better then the 2001 National Championship team, but UCONN has Geno and that should be enough to ensure a UCONN win.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The key component we are missing this year and everyone is neglecting is the boards inability to conduct any kind of adequate cheer. This fact alone means the Huskies begin with a 30 point deficit.

Reaction Score
If we shoot the ball as well as we did against Baylor, UCONN will def win. We have to make our 3's in order to beat ND in South Bend

GO UCONN

Reaction Score
You know, I was 'gonna say the W.Va game was The Old Roapa-Dope by Geno. Crazy but, that was the only way I could explain it.

I'm in good company with Tony! ;)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect any other prediction from Tony and I'll go with him.
Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
So Geno sets up the WV game -- which he' pretty sure UConn will win -- with a game plan that requires that the guards pass up good plays into the middle, and has Stef play outside but not shoot the 15-footer. All so that the next opponenty will not realize that UConn has the talent to do these things.

Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling.

It may work out that UConn wins the ND game -- I'd put the odds at maybe 35-40%. But if so, it'll because the players are finally playing the way he wants them to, not because he's let them do what they were capable of doing all along.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
IF!!!! IF!!!! we have to lose a conference game this season, I am ok if its @ ND. As long as we beat them when it counts, home X2 and if we meet them in the NCAA.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Cheer blues. I tried to start one on the new board and soon realized it is hopeless. Can't there be some kind of override set up by Nan et al. A kind of cheer message format that will allow the crucial ritual to be enacted. It is just bad for the board and for the team, and, even for the world.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
It's been my observation over the years that UConn usually picks up its game for the big highly ranked teams. They can look sloppy vs. an also-ran but win by 50 points. But when they play one of the biggies they usually look much sharper. However, I'll never forget the first half of the championship game vs. Stanford in April 2010. One of the worst halves ever and yet UConn still managed to win the NCAA championship.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If we play bad we could lose, if ND plays bad they will lose.

Unassailable logic by our Tony. (Note that "could lose" vs. "will lose" nuance.)

I can only add my view that if UConn outscores Notre Dame, we will win. I'll stop right there.

As always, I like our chances.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
What's the point of predicting a final score or result in a game like this? I want UConn to win. I hope UConn wins, but I'll admit that this game gets me nervous. And if UConn comes out on top, I'll feel great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom