Uconn will be BAD FOR BASKETBALL next year! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn will be BAD FOR BASKETBALL next year!

Reaction Score
Center Cardoso, Dorka, DeBerry
Power forward Liv, Edwards for this year.
If Dorka doesn’t return next season we’ll have Cardoso, Edwards, DeBerry, Ice, and Patterson who can play more then one position. I don’t think we’re to deep. Only thing bad I see coming out of this is Westbrook or Azzi coming off the bench, but I guess that’s not really a bad thing is it.
If it is Uconn or Auburn then it's between playing for championships and playing time with a middle of the pack team. I think players like the 2 high school juniors who have verbally committed want to play with not against Azzi and Paige. Cardoza must know them and maybe behind the scenes those two are a big part of why others want to join this very crowded roster.

Reaction Score
Wow, this is stunning news. Something definitely going on with Q and company................

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure whether to take the Cardoso to UConn or Auburn news seriously or not. I would think there are a bunch of teams that would come calling. Off the top of my head: Louisville, Baylor, UCLA, ND & TN would all be interested.

Cardoso is an intriguing player. As everyone knows. You can’t teach size. I consider Cardoso to be something of a project, although not in the traditional sense. I was actually impressed with Cardoso when UConn faced the Cuse. Her skill level and athleticism were much better than I anticipated.

The project side of Cardoso involves conditioning and effort, which go hand in hand. Against UConn, Cardoso came out of the gate dominating in the paint at both ends. But as the game wore on, Liv & Aaliyah asserted themselves and Cardoso disappeared as a factor in the game.

If the stars are in fact aligned, and Cardoso is heading to Storrs, she will obviously need to improve her conditioning and learn to play hard all the time. If she’s willing to put in the effort, there is no place better than UConn to get her to the next level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My dear BY'ers, Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves declaring next year that we'll be "Bad For Basketball" again? I love that thought, but lets be realistic (even though that 'word' tastes bad). 4, possibly 5 remarkable athletes will be coming here next year, but not 1 has even set foot in practice with the team yet. To add 1 more, Saylor has just had a few months with the rest of the team. Not a 1 knows anything of our playbook, nor how the team functions as a whole; ie. the players 'likes', dislikes' and 'idiosyncrasies' in regards to performing on the court. I am sure all will contribute to our success, and we'll definitely be in contention for another championship, beginning next year, but we may be getting ahead of ourselves thinking we'll be bad for basketball again so soon. I surmise I will be called a 'debby-downer' by Huskynan, but I always like to be 'realistic', rather than use the 'rose colored' glasses approach! ;)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Center Cardoso, Dorka, DeBerry
Power forward Liv, Edwards for this year.
If Dorka doesn’t return next season we’ll have Cardoso, Edwards, DeBerry, Ice, and Patterson who can play more then one position. I don’t think we’re to deep. Only thing bad I see coming out of this is Westbrook or Azzi coming off the bench, but I guess that’s not really a bad thing is it.

First - Cardoso transferring to UConn is A BIG IF right now. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Next - a change in your line up. Power forwards, or the 4, would be Aaliyah and Dorka. Look at the clips of Dorka. More reliable outside shot than Liv. Stronger moves to the basket from outside the lane. Centers or the 5 would be Liv, Cardoso and DeBerry.

Reaction Score
First - Cardoso transferring to UConn is A BIG IF right now. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Next - a change in your line up. Power forwards, or the 4, would be Aaliyah and Dorka. Look at the clips of Dorka. More reliable outside shot than Liv. Stronger moves to the basket from outside the lane. Centers or the 5 would be Liv, Cardoso and DeBerry.
I agree, but for some reason all the big time transfers that have interest in UConn seem to land a UConn, to me it seems like a play will reach out and if Geno says yes then it’s a done deal. The source that said she was down to UConn and Auburn said Langley and Harris would be named P5 coaches. While I agree that Kamilla and Liv are both centers, I was just posting a scenario where they could both start together.

Reaction Score
Would Kamilla make UConn better? Yes. Would she help UConn get to and possibly win the NC? Yes. Are there players who wouldn't be happy about losing playing time? Yes. Are there players who might transfer? Yes. That's the real world. If she can make UConn better, Geno, CD and the staff are not going to say we don't want you because you might help us win the NC.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow...I just saw that she’s considering!
Either UConn or Auburn. Most players who want to fully reach their potential and prepare to compete at the next level choose a program that will prepare them to do so. Auburn was 5-19 last season (0-15 in conference games) and endured a 17 game losing streak. Johnnie Harris (a long time assistant to Vic Schaefer @ Miss St/Texas) has been hired as their new WBB head coach.

Harris will be rebuilding that program for at least the next 2-3 years. As a staff, they don’t have any wins or successes to to build on from last year.

Unique Thompson 6'3" F from Auburn was drafted in the 2nd round to Indiana last week. Does anyone remember the last player from Auburn to get drafted in the first two rounds of the WNBA besides DeWanna Bonner (5th overall pick in 09)? Has Auburn produced any other players now playing professionally they can point to? :rolleyes: Auburn does not have a history of sending a lot of players to the W.

Looking at Auburn’s schedule last year, 1 game was nationally televised (Alabama). Very little national exposure for the Tigers. You can see where I’m going with this. Her choice should be a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Either UConn or Auburn. To most players who want to fully reach their potential and prepare to compete at the next level, the answer is a no-brainer.
New update tweet from same account had them linking her to Duke. So it sounds not super reliable

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My dear BY'ers, Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves declaring next year that we'll be "Bad For Basketball" again? I love that thought, but lets be realistic (even though that 'word' tastes bad). 4, possibly 5 remarkable athletes will be coming here next year, but not 1 has even set foot in practice with the team yet. To add 1 more, Saylor has just had a few months with the rest of the team. Not a 1 knows anything of our playbook, nor how the team functions as a whole; ie. the players 'likes', dislikes' and 'idiosyncrasies' in regards to performing on the court. I am sure all will contribute to our success, and we'll definitely be in contention for another championship, beginning next year, but we may be getting ahead of ourselves thinking we'll be bad for basketball again so soon. I surmise I will be called a 'debby-downer' by Huskynan, but I always like to be 'realistic', rather than use the 'rose colored' glasses approach! ;)
You are right. We're doomed.

Reaction Score
Liv would get to play the high post of Cardoso comes. But, Liv isn’t consistent with that elbow shot...
Doesn't have to be great, just lob the ball in the air, Cardosa has great hands, and doesn't need to gather to score inside.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Next year the only time Azzi comes off the bench will be during TO's.
Azzi is rumored to be as good if not better than Paige. If that's true, how do you not start her? You always put your best 5 players on the floor to start the game.
Every coach at every level (including high school) does that. I'm going to go wwwaaayyy out on a limb here and suggest that Azzi will be one of the best 5 players on next season's team. :rolleyes: I say this only because Paige started game 1, which during the summer I thought would be impossible. So I'm giving Azzi the benefit of the doubt. Starting or coming off the bench to begin the season, she'll play a lot of meaningful minutes during the OOC portion of the schedule. This is APRIL. How can anyone predict who the starting 5 are going to be 7 months out with any degree of accuracy?? :eek:

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Azzi is rumored to be as good if not better than Paige. If that's true, how do you not start her? You always put your best 5 players on the floor to start the game.
Every coach at every level (including high school) does that. I'm going to go wwwaaayyy out on a limb here and suggest that Azzi will be one of the best 5 players on next season's team. :rolleyes:
Now, I'm not talking about this coming season. I'm talking about 2022-23 (next year). This coming season I don't see her starting on day one, but as the season goes on her minutes will increase. I did however say that last year about Paige, so I'm known to be wrong. Just to repeat though, I've watched a number of her HS games and all of her FIBA games, each at least twice, most up to 5 times or more. Again, her offensive strengths are, as I've seen, her pull up, which is the most efficient I've ever seen and darn near impossible to stop, her spot up shots, her 3 point shooting, and her power drive to the hoop. She is a terrific ball handler and rarely commits TO's. She is an excellent passer, and good rebounder, and like Paige doesn't play too fast. On defense she has quick feet and is good at keeping her mark in front of her. Like Paige she knows her offensive spots on the floor and knows how to get to them. Her ability to swing along the perimeter from right to left or left to right, catch and shoot or pull up is world class. And of course, she is majorly and predictably unselfish. Her game face though is intense, and when she hits the floor she is all business. She is The Killer, and on any other team she would be "The Guy". She will however smile and enjoy the competition.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Now, I'm not talking about this coming season. I'm talking about 2022-23 (next year). This coming season I don't see her starting on day one, but as the season goes on her minutes will increase. I did however say that last year about Paige, so I'm known to be wrong. Just to repeat though, I've watched a number of her HS games and all of her FIBA games, each at least twice, most up to 5 times or more. Again, her offensive strengths are, as I've seen, her pull up, which is the most efficient I've ever seen and darn near impossible to stop, her spot up shots, her 3 point shooting, and her power drive to the hoop. She is a terrific ball handler and rarely commits TO's. She is an excellent passer, and good rebounder, and like Paige doesn't play too fast. On defense she has quick feet and is good at keeping her mark in front of her. Like Paige she knows her offensive spots on the floor and knows how to get to them. Her ability to swing along the perimeter from right to left or left to right, catch and shoot or pull up is world class. And of course, she is majorly and predictably unselfish. Her game face though is intense, and when she hits the floor she is all business. She is The Killer, and on any other team she would be "The Guy". She will however smile and enjoy the competition.
We'll see. The good thing here is that Azzi is signed, sealed and delivered. She's coming to UConn!!! Personally I don't care who starts. I just want the team to win, play well, and send a "strong" message to wcbb that UConn is back (to being real bad for wcbb) and better than ever!!! Very interested to see how Geno mixes and blends this group of players into a well oiled machine that functions best at high speeds. I want to see how Buckets and Azzi play together and feed off each other.

How many games does UConn lose over the next two seasons? I'm placing the over/under at 3.5 Hopefully things will return back to "normal" next season. No quarantines, no postponements or cancelations and a playing a full schedule. Speaking of schedules, I'm very interested to see our's for next season, which should be released by the basketball office sometime in September. I expect to see "the usual suspects" next season i.e., Notre Dame, South Carolina, Ohio State and hopefully Louisville. I'd like to see Maryland, Stanford, LSU, Kara Lawson and her Duke Blue Devils and perhaps Marisa Mosely's Wisconsin Badgers added to the mix. As usual, this will be a l-o-n-g summer. November can't get here soon enough. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jordy-I love your comments but I have to say, after you state you don't believe Azzi will start at the beginning of the season, you mention in great detail all of her All-World talents. As good as Uconn will be next year, and I think they will be absolutely unbeatable, I find it hard to believe that a player that you just described doesn't start from Day One this coming season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Paige and Azzi be the frontrunners in the minutes game and maybe the only players consistently over 30 mpg.

Reaction Score
Jordy-I love your comments but I have to say, after you state you don't believe Azzi will start at the beginning of the season, you mention in great detail all of her All-World talents. As good as Uconn will be next year, and I think they will be absolutely unbeatable, I find it hard to believe that a player that you just described doesn't start from Day One this coming season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Paige and Azzi be the frontrunners in the minutes game and maybe the only players consistently over 30 mpg.
Who do you see her starting over? I have a hard time seeing him sit CW or Evina. And I don’t see him playing four guards, I think it’ll likely be PB, CW, E, ONO, Lea/Dorka

Reaction Score
If we can get Cardozo, I would implore the staff to figure something out. As I said, 6’7” post players don’t ring your doorbell every day. if she wanted to come to UConn, I would not say no. I’m of the opinion that Cardoso could help us win games in late March.

I would have a personal private meeting with each player to explain to them what we’re trying to do, how they fit in to that equation, and get their feedback on how they feel about this team and our aspirations going forward. I would hope everyone was on board.

If you are truly serious about winning a national championship and not just giving “lip service“, you leave no stone unturned.
I agree with almost everything here except the hoping that everyone would be on board. I don't think that is realistic. Maybe the guards and wings would be, but surely some of the bigs most effected would not. If you add somebody like Cardozo, somebody else loses out, just the way it is. Some may have already had that reaction from the Dorka addition. I think whenever you get past 10 or so top tier talents that is the case , every addition to the rotation pretty much means another drops out. Harsh reality.

Reaction Score
We could be getting ahead of ourselves to the extent that many expect the starters to be the same, whether that means Nika or Aaliyah as the 5th starter. Everyone agrees that the level of very high quality depth extends well past just the expected rotation. That makes us better but how much better? If the style stays the same and the rotation remains pretty short you replace Anna in the rotation with say Azzi. That's a big upgrade for one of the three bench players in the rotation, not a monumental increase.

True we could sustain and cover injuries very well with a ton of talent on standby, but to make a huge leap many of the newcomers need to replace the minutes of returning starters, or leap over them in the rotation. Yes I know the freshmen should improve, and logically we get quite a bit of internal improvement, and we had a championship contender before those improvements. The floor for next year's team might be the number 1 ranked contender going in, even if changes in lineups and rotations are minimal.

But to really be "bad for basketball" we would have to separate ourselves from the other top teams. The ceiling might be if we can justify pressing, fast-breaking and using at least 10 players, even against the very good teams. Where Dorka (or Cardoso) might beat out Liv. Where Nika, Crystyn, or Evina has to sit for Azzi, and maybe one more of them for Carolyn etc. If a few of players like Nika, Crystyn, Liv and Evina are part of the second unit because they were beaten out, then Geno wanting to go at least 10 deep should be an easy decision and we will truly be bad for basketball.

I don't know what will happen but see those two scenarios as being pretty close to the floor (which is very high) and the ceiling, which is very bad for basketball.

Reaction Score
Heytherego-that is a great question! Again, IF Azzi is a good as advertised (and she sure looks it in videos) she may very well be the 2nd best player on the team on Day one next year and if that is the case she will start. If I had to guess who she would replace it would be Evina (who I love to tears). But I just as easily could see Geno pull a 'Doty' and start Evina even though I believe Azzi will average more minutes than Evina. Bottom line is we will have the deepest backcourt in Uconn history, dare I say WCBB history!!

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Heytherego-that is a great question! Again, IF Azzi is a good as advertised (and she sure looks it in videos) she may very well be the 2nd best player on the team on Day one next year and if that is the case she will start. If I had to guess who she would replace it would be Evina (who I love to tears). But I just as easily could see Geno pull a 'Doty' and start Evina even though I believe Azzi will average more minutes than Evina. Bottom line is we will have the deepest backcourt in Uconn history, dare I say WCBB history!!
Gave you a like...but 2nd best? Yeah I said it Although it might be considered blasphemous to some. ?

Reaction Score
How many games does UConn lose over the next two seasons? I'm placing the over/under at 3.5 Hopefully things will return back to "normal" next season. No quarantines, no postponements or cancelations and a playing a full schedule. :cool:

I'll take the under.

Reaction Score
Deep down I knew this team could win the Chip this year, but I really didn’t think they would. Just too young! But next years squad with the addition of Dorka, Azzi, and my pick for sleeper of the class Ducharme, there is simply NO EXCUSE for them not to cut down the nets! This will be the most talented and balanced team ever in terms of depth! With CW finally coming into her own, and the rest of the pieces, there is simply no weakness! As I predicted last year that the team would take off when Nika became the starting point guard, (by the way, if she would have stayed healthy I think we would have won this year) I‘m telling you Dorka was a game changer!!! If they stay healthy it’s OVER! Period! I understand the Stanford’s and South Carolina’s of the world, but Uconn‘s B game will beat them next year. I’m so excited I can’t wait They will be BAD FOR BASKETBALL!!!
UCONN will not dominate next year. South Carolina has a strong team back and picked up the number 2,3,and 4th. rated players out of the class of 2021. (Azzi being #1) When we play them it will be a war. Stanford will be outstanding with Brink, Jones, and Hull, and too many other good players to mention. Frankly, it's a good thing UCONN is picking up some quality transfers, epically Dorka. Without them, we would be lucky to make it back to the FF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom