UConn WBB 100% Vaccination Rate | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn WBB 100% Vaccination Rate

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In fact, America has the second highest current infection rate of any developed nation. We're double and triple the infection rates of most European countries. And, though we started out well ahead of Europe, not to mention Korea and Japan, European countries are now almost all at 70% vaccination rates for their total populations, while America is barely over 50%. Japan, which had extremely low vaccination rates at the time of the Olympics, has now equaled American rates, and vaccinations are going fast.

At least we can be thankful that we live in Connecticut, with near the highest vaccination rate of all the fifty states (on par with a Western European country), and the lowest infection rate of the fifty states. Shame our kids have to travel elsewhere to play basketball.
Yeah the SEC states are an utter disaster with 11 of those states in the bottom 15 in vaccination rates. Alabama is dead last. Imagine what that state would do if Nick Saban endorsed the vaccine?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeah the SEC states are an utter disaster with 11 of those states in the bottom 15 in vaccination rates. Alabama is dead last. Imagine what that state would do if Nick Saban endorsed the vaccine?
Saban has actually been very supportive of getting the vaccine, going as far as doing a PSA on local tv in AL. Almost 100% of his team is fully vaccinated.

Now, imagine what the state would be like if Saban had not endorsed the vaccine……

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Coach Saban has been urging vaccination for months. Look at Alcovidvaccine.gov and you can see at least one of his PSA videos. His team is at/near 100% vaccinated. Alabama is nothing to brag about in many ways, and vaccination rate is surely one of them. But currently Alabama is "better" than four other states in percent jabbed. Some states in the west are among the lowest, and Rhode Island is now one of the places with the highest infection rates. The problems are widespread and not purely geographical. This information is readily available on google , so I question your motives in this post. Unless you were being facetious, you are both uninformed and in bad faith.

Reaction Score
I'm a little nervous for the team if they have to travel to a southern school given what a hot zone it is. Imagine Paige or Azzi pops a positive test after playing in a game down there and is then stuck in quarantine protocol? Look at what has gone on with the Red Sox over the past few weeks to give you an idea of how quickly Covid can wreak havoc on a team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm a little nervous for the team if they have to travel to a southern school given what a hot zone it is. Imagine Paige or Azzi pops a positive test after playing in a game down there and is then stuck in quarantine protocol? Look at what has gone on with the Red Sox over the past few weeks to give you an idea of how quickly Covid can wreak havoc on a team.
It’s not so much where you go as what you do when you get there. UConn travels on a private plane. They basically spend their time at the hotel as a team, eat meals as a team and then go to an arena to play. The only significant interaction with anyone outside the team is with the opposing team during the game.

All tier 1 personnel on both teams are getting tested weekly, which provides a measure of protection. The fact that UConn WBB has a 100% vaccination rate provides another level of protection. With that said, unless we wrap all the players in bubble wrap, their is no foolproof method of eliminating the risk of infection.

Reaction Score
It’s not so much where you go as what you do when you get there. UConn travels on a private plane. They basically spend their time at the hotel as a team, eat meals as a team and then go to an arena to play. The only significant interaction with anyone outside the team is with the opposing team during the game.

All tier 1 personnel on both teams are getting tested weekly, which provides a measure of protection. The fact that UConn WBB has a 100% vaccination rate provides another level of protection. With that said, unless we wrap all the players in bubble wrap, their is no foolproof method of eliminating the risk of infection.
What about people in the crowd? It is a big indoor space with potentially 10,000 Covid carriers breathing on the players for two hours. Is everyone entering South Carolina's arena going to be under a mask or vaccination or negative test mandate? What about the people that work there? The bus drivers, food servers, etc. with whom the players will eventually come into contact or close quarters? The players can't hide forever from people that largely think the disease isn't real.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What about people in the crowd? It is a big indoor space with potentially 10,000 Covid carriers breathing on the players for two hours. Is everyone entering South Carolina's arena going to be under a mask or vaccination or negative test mandate? What about the people that work there? The bus drivers, food servers, etc. with whom the players will eventually come into contact or close quarters? The players can't hide forever from people that largely think the disease isn't real.
We’re talking about large, well ventilated arenas. While there might be some risk to fans sitting in close proximity to one another, there is almost no risk to the players and coaches at court level.

As for SC, they have detailed health guidelines that include weekly testing for students and staff, vaccine incentives and a requirement to wear masks at all indoor buildings.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For all of the scenarios you mentioned is why the team will be kept in seclusion and away from outsiders as much as possible during road trips. We’re looking to play a full and complete schedule this season. That means no forfeitures, and no cancellations.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that Gampel and XL will not require masks and will not impose "vaccine passports" (even though I am vaccinated), but I am not optimistic at all on either count.

Things are really strange in Connecticut right now. I need a mask to walk in and get a cup of coffee at the DD in my home town but I can work out at my gym one town over without a mask.
Ifamask is required you wear one, if it’s not youdonothsve to but can .noprob

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom