UConn wants to play BC | The Boneyard

UConn wants to play BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe now is the time for us to stop calling them BCU :)

UConn officials also want to contact BC about playing the Huskies in both football and basketball, with games at Alumni Stadium, at UConn, and at Foxborough, and basketball games at both campuses and at TD Garden.

Also interesting:

According to sources in the conference, the ACC is looking at several options. At the top of the wish list is to get Texas and Notre Dame. Wish No. 2 is to land Texas and a travel partner, most likely Texas Tech. Option No. 3 is to add Texas and UConn, No. 4 is to bring aboard UConn and Rutgers.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleg...e_give_bc_some_northeast_rivals_again/?page=2

Reaction Score
If you really want to add an element of instability in your conference, then add Texas. As soon as you do that, everything becomes about them. Surely the ACC can't be this stupid.

Reaction Score
Option 2, Texas and a traveling partner. I think they'd easily find one of either Baylor, Tx Tech, or even TCU willing to be that partner. Wasn't Pitt a big part of bringing TCU to the table for the BE (Jamie Dixon actually)?

Reaction Score
Option 2, Texas and a traveling partner. I think they'd easily find one of either Baylor, Tx Tech, or even TCU willing to be that partner. Wasn't Pitt a big part of bringing TCU to the table for the BE (Jamie Dixon actually)?

Yes, Pitt through Dixon, who is a TCU Alum courted them.

I am sure the ACC would add Stony Brook if that's what it took to get Texas. But I think Texas is wishful thinking.

I would be more worried about WVU not getting into the SEC. I really don't think the ACC gives a hoot about academics. Just look at NC State. If the ACC gets WVU then UConn has to compete for that last slot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They will always be BCU in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I guess I view this as a positive. I can't see Texas joining the ACC. I think it is PAC 12 or stay in the Big 12 for them. Ideally they would join the PAC 12 and then the ACC would move ahead with adding Uconn and Rutty.

Reaction Score
I cant remember if I posted this or not (really all starting to blend together right about now), but let's just flip the script. If for whatever reason the Big 4 to the Pac 12 doesn't happen, then call Beebe, and broker a merger (as Luck had mentioned) with the remaining 9 B12 teams, coupled with the remaining 6 BE teams and TCU to form a 16 team all sport B16. The B12 already has the naming rights and the AQ bid. Split it East v. West divisions to minimize trael as much as possible. Keep the 4 Texas schools, 2 Okie schools and 2 Kansas schools in one division with the BE 6 + ISU and Mizzou in the otherl. If either of Mizzou or WVU bolt for SEC (or both, you pick up the remnants of UCF/BYU/Houston).

It's provides a very good FB and BB league. It's not ideal, but would give everyone a home, and could negotiate a pretty good TV deal. Not that mch of a travel difference b/w travelling to games at Marquette, DePaul, ND, or USF from travelling to Texas, Kansas, or Missouri. Maybe another hour on the plane. Not a big deal.
Now I know many (most) will hate this, but you do invite ND for all other sports. This gives them the N.E., M.W., S.E., and S.W. to travel to. They fancy themselves a national university, this gives them national in-roads. There, problem solved.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This is a doozy of a closing line:
Yet last night there were rumblings in the Big East that the future of Marinatto was being discussed.
So I'm wondering WHO was leading this discussion - was it the football schools (especially UL, Cincy and USF who have the most to lose) or the BBall schools who want to break off? Hmmm....

Reaction Score
If you think Herbst moved quickly on what she perceived was a hapless Hathaway, imagine how she is maneuvering to have at Marinatto. I'm betting on her.

Reaction Score
This is a doozy of a closing line:

So I'm wondering WHO was leading this discussion - was it the football schools (especially UL, Cincy and USF who have the most to lose) or the BBall schools who want to break off? Hmmm....

Or both. None can be at all too happy. Some on this board will say "what did you expect him to do", or "what could he really have done". It;s his job to be in the know and keep stability. Once again a BE leader got abso-f'ng-lutely played by their peers. To quote Judge Reinhold from Fast Times At Ridgemont High when her got fired from the fast food fish restaurant "Hope you had a helluva piss Arnold"!

Reaction Score
From the article:

"According to sources in the conference, the ACC is looking at several options. At the top of the wish list is to get Texas and Notre Dame. Wish No. 2 is to land Texas and a travel partner, most likely Texas Tech. Option No. 3 is to add Texas and UConn, No. 4 is to bring aboard UConn and Rutgers.

While Swofford would not mention any schools other than Syracuse and Pittsburgh, a source at UConn said that Huskies officials already had reached out to the ACC. UConn officials also want to contact BC about playing the Huskies in both football and basketball, with games at Alumni Stadium, at UConn, and at Foxborough, and basketball games at both campuses and at TD Garden."

This is exactly as we hoped. We are solidly #2 option behind Texas, and ahead of #3 Rutgers. In such a setup, as long as we avoid Texas to the ACC(very unlikely), we land safely in the ACC as team #15, regardless of who #16 is.

Lets hope this is sourced well!

U

UConn9604

I think it's sourced well. Note that there are no quotes, either positive or negative, from DeFilippo.

The "body language" (if you will) of DeFilippo's quotes suggests both that he's freely willing to look past Connecticut and schedule northeastern games with Pitt and Syracuse, and also that he knows that there's support from within the ACC for UConn and all that we offer. Also, I'm not sure that he has enough job security, at this point, to make a big stink about anything.

Of course, I'm reading a lot into what isn't there, and this may be due to the inordinate amount of time I've spent agonizing over this issue over the last 48-60 hours.

Reaction Score
If we're asking to play BC in football and hoops, then that's assuming were staying on the BigEast or somewhere that is not the ACC, Otherwise, We'd end up playing eventually as a conference game anyway.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If we're asking to play BC in football and hoops, then that's assuming were staying on the BigEast or somewhere that is not the ACC, Otherwise, We'd end up playing eventually as a conference game anyway.

I read it as Pendergast and/or Herbst approaching BC to show that there are no lingering hard feelings. It's about time someone in one of the schools tries to normalize a relationship between UConn & BC like adults and hopefully that could help remove any BC resistance to UConn joining the ACC.

Reaction Score
I read it as Pendergast and/or Herbst approaching BC to show that there are no lingering hard feelings. It's about time someone in one of the schools tries to normalize a relationship between UConn & BC like adults and hopefully that could help remove any BC resistance to UConn joining the ACC.

Do we know when this happened? The date is important.

Reaction Score
Do we know when this happened? The date is important.

Very true. If it was 'very' recent, it may look like we have alterior motives for wanting to be their 'friend' again.

Reaction Score
i cant say i seeing calhoun being pleased about this one haha. but with the relationship she has with him, im glad herbst is telling calhoun the way its got to be.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Very true. If it was 'very' recent, it may look like we have alterior motives for wanting to be their 'friend' again.

I don't know if it matters. I think what's important is to show BC that there is a new AD and a new President that had nothing to do with the lawsuit and harsh words from years ago and that they don't object to resuming a normal relationship. Geno was always OK with playing BC and I don't know about Pasqualoni, although BC seems ok with Syracuse in the ACC. It's only JC that might have lingering feelings but he's a team player and a realist so I think he'll go along. Besides, he might retire before UConn would be in the ACC anyway. IF BC sees a new guard at UConn, it might drop its objection to having Connecticut in the ACC.

Reaction Score
The quote about the first, second, and third options just confirms that this is all about Texas and ND. If Texas goes to the Pac# then UConn goes to the ACC. Can't really blame the ACC for pursuing this course of thinking since this seems like it could be the last major shift in college athletics for these schools in awhile.

Reaction Score

The article says that UConn officials want to contact BC about a series, not that we have contacted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom