UConn vs. Wyoming Football series brewing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Wyoming Football series brewing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No, of course not. But it's a MWC school and we have to do what we have to do to fill the schedule up. And, to be fair to the Athletic Dept., scheduling should be easier from 2022 onwards as there was far more time to come up with a schedule than years 1 and 2.
I know they are scrambling now. And indie schedule can be interesting. To make bowl games without a league is the challenge. Only a few indie teams get serious looks or regular bowl affiliations and we have to become a winning program to join the crowd.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Should we be excited about playing Wyoming? Beautiful state and all, but our Indie schedule includes a few teams that are more distant that the AAC teams and not as interesting football wise, which should not be taken as me liking the AAC.

Part of being an independent not named ND, is having a rotating group of the same uninteresting teams on the schedule to fill around the handful of more interesting games.

Playing Wyoming means one less game against Holy Cross, URI, or Liberty.

It's fine by me because it's necessary.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'd love to visit Wyoming, just not every other year, once or twice would be fine with me. All these 1 time visits to places we have never been to before would be a ton of fun. Away games to new places is so much fun. Besides that, it would be a little trivial for me as I remember the first bowl game I ever saw on a color tv was Wyoming and LSU in the 1967 Sugar Bowl.
It’s a beautiful state. Don’t know much about it’s football. I’m guessing that unless you’re a skier, a late season game there isn’t as enticing for touring as an early fall game.

Reaction Score
I know they are scrambling now. And indie schedule can be interesting. To make bowl games without a league is the challenge. Only a few indie teams get serious looks or regular bowl affiliations and we have to become a winning program to join the crowd.

We don't need a regular bowl. We just need to be part of a bowl pool. New Mexico State, Liberty, and UMass all got bowl pool deals. We will too, no doubt.

Reaction Score
If that's actually your reasoning -- that not having a direction in front of the name of the state matters, even where basically no one lives in the state -- it's so far beyond logical that I don't know how to respond. No one should prefer doing a home and home with Wyoming to doing one with South Florida or Central Florida.
We've not talking about a home and home, we're talking about what people would want to see. So do we want to play USF/UCF or Wyoming right now at home? We've played the directional Florida's a lot and regardless of how good they are each year they are not exciting the fanbase. Is it logical? Not entirely, but it's the truth. I can tell you right now we sell more tickets to a 7-5 Wyoming then to a 11-1 UCF. We are not good so it's all about a competitive game against a school people can care about. A state school like Wyoming you can sell, another clunker against the schools people forget exist in Florida does nothing.

Reaction Score
If possible, I'd love to see a home and home with Wyo (assuming an early to mid-season matchup in Laramie). It's pretty accessible from Denver if the weather holds. Laramie itself has some pretty awesome bars like the Buckhorn - and, if you want breweries, Fort Collins is on the way back to DIA. In addition, Wyo has a terrific fanbase which makes War Memorial a fun place to see a game.

Reaction Score
Once in awhile someplace different for interest. One return game is fine.
1582223290941.png

Reaction Score
USC has an opening on their schedule for 2021. They just canceled UC Davis for that year.

It's the first home game of the year for USC (August 28th) and UConn just agreed to a home and home w/ Fresno State for that date back mid-Dec. Weirder things have happened but...

Reaction Score
Looks like Wyoming is less than 3 hours from Denver. And isn't that supposed to be a nice drive? Sounds like a good road trip to me.

ADD: Apparently, it's a death road. I'll stay on the interstate.

Wyoming is gorgeous. The drive from mid Wyoming through Jackson Hole down the corner of Idaho into Logan Utah - is wonderful

Reaction Score
I know why we need to schedule these games. Just my belief that a lot of the schedule is less interesting football wise than the AAC and I disliked the AAC. Our move out was for hoops, and I like that part, but we all know football is the stepchild.

Beggars can’t be choosers.

Reaction Score
Looks like Wyoming is less than 3 hours from Denver. And isn't that supposed to be a nice drive? Sounds like a good road trip to me.
ADD: Apparently, it's a death road. I'll stay on the interstate.

Just drive up 287 from Fort Collins. The scenery is amazing - at least on the CO side and around the border. You'll know you're close to Laramie when it flattens out (at 7000+ feet). You'll see a bunch of these and wonder, what? It's not until it snows that you realize the value - with the non-stop wind, the drifts are crazy/impassable - so these fences help knock the blowing snow down. Oh, keep an eye out for the antelope too...
1582225066718.png

Reaction Score
That’s assuming he survives 2020.

I believe he will survive 2020. I think Purdue will give him the time to put together a defense similar to the way ND let him do it. The Purdue fans I know remember him from his time at ND, and think this was a good hire. We will see.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just drive up 287 from Fort Collins. The scenery is amazing - at least on the CO side and around the border. You'll know you're close to Laramie when it flattens out (at 7000+ feet). You'll see a bunch of these and wonder, what? It's not until it snows that you realize the value - with the non-stop wind, the drifts are crazy/impassable - so these fences help knock the blowing snow down. Oh, keep an eye out for the antelope too...
View attachment 51048

Great. Playing 7100' above sea level.

Reaction Score
We've not talking about a home and home, we're talking about what people would want to see. So do we want to play USF/UCF or Wyoming right now at home? We've played the directional Florida's a lot and regardless of how good they are each year they are not exciting the fanbase. Is it logical? Not entirely, but it's the truth. I can tell you right now we sell more tickets to a 7-5 Wyoming then to a 11-1 UCF. We are not good so it's all about a competitive game against a school people can care about. A state school like Wyoming you can sell, another clunker against the schools people forget exist in Florida does nothing.
.....FOH

Reaction Score
I know it'd be a long drive but for those that have the time to do it, man, Yellowstone is an awesome amazing place. It's truly other worldly and worth every bit of time you can spend there.

Reaction Score
I actually like the idea of playing Wyo. Bohl has them playing some good football compared to the Christensen days.

Reaction Score
Wyoming was scheduled to play Clemson on 9/25/21. We are open on that day so the substitution can be made without changing any other games. Meanwhile, Georgia had to dump San Jose State to add Clemson. Since we are playing at SJSU this year it would make sense for them to come here next year if a date can be found.

Reaction Score
@Duncan Idaho has to be stoked
Been to a number of stadiums in that part of the country; Weber State, Boise St., Utah St, U of Montana, Southern Utah, Washington State... We live in a beautiful country and that area is just a different type of beauty than I am accustomed. If we do get a return game I would definately try to work it in as an away game trip. We try to do one or two a year. Our extented families are all over the country. Son #2 lives in Cali so Fresno State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom