UCONN vs UMASS @ Gillette Stadium 2016 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs UMASS @ Gillette Stadium 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Curious to see the figures for CU and BCU this year, Vandy and IU were 15K. Whipple and Diaco have a couple of years to improve things.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As usual DC is the last to know. He is now "reporting" the game. Years ago I asked him a conference realignment question. He said is was a good question and he would look into it. Still waiting. Of course, we know what happened in the ensuing years.

Reaction Score
Curious to see the figures for CU and BCU this year, Vandy and IU were 15K. Whipple and Diaco have a couple of years to improve things.

If the game was this year we'd be real lucky to get 15K to travel. If Diaco can create some excitement, by 2016 we should be able to bring 25K-30K.

Reaction Score
If the game was this year we'd be real lucky to get 15K to travel. If Diaco can create some excitement, by 2016 we should be able to bring 25K-30K.

Can't argue with your numbers. Obviously everything changes if we have some early upsets. Don't even want to think about
losing...

Reaction Score
I've always been a proponent of playing UMass, so I like this. Chance for our fanbase to make a statement by overtaking Foxboro.

Not sure this really boosts recruiting in MA like some have suggested. Every kid in that state knows UConn and can easily attend a game at the Rent.
I have a hard time believing that our fan base is going to travel to Foxboro to see Umass. Boston College,I have no doubt we would.That stadium won't be full.Yikes,it freakin Umass.

Reaction Score
Just moved to Westwood. The game is practically in my back yard. I hope we schedule more games at the Razor.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
wasn't there a rumor of us playing rutgers in 2016? If so I can get behind a schedule that has UMass on the road and home games vs UVA and Rutgirls

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Just moved to Westwood. The game is practically in my back yard. I hope we schedule more games at the Razor.
I work in westwood. Visit Lambert's early and often.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
with a majority of our conference games being so far away (especially with navy in the west) getting out of conference games against local teams really is a blessing

Reaction Score
Here are a few justifications:

1. It's a D-1/not FCS (yet) win - we need wins
2. LOCAL RIVALRY - we need them too!
3. Recruiting in Massachusetts
4. Opportunity to show B1G/ACC UCONN can play at Gillette for future games
5. Easy for UCONN students and fans to travel to
6. Apparently, FSU,PSU,CO,Vandy, BC, Temple and Notre Dame think it's okay
7. Reduced travel cost for athletic dept.
1. We'll see I guess. Umass as an indy I'm not so sure they even have a Team in 2016. This was yet another case of Warde taking the easy route. Crap game in a crap location (even best case, there will be no more than 20,000 fans in a 75000 seat stadium. YUCK! Utterly inapproapriate. Nothing says big time like playing in front of friends and family. In a 75000 seat stadium! Jeez we couldn' t have gotten 2 for 1? Umass is desperate for opponents.
2. Being nearby doesn't make it a "local rivalry." People caring does and nobody will care about this game.
3. What are you taking about? Why in god's name do we want to show we can play at Gillette? And even if you are right, kiss a Rent expansion goodbye.Besides, if we send 5000 to this one we'll likely have more fans than they will.
4. We recruit Massachusetts fine. No need for this game. Its under 2 hours from Boston to Storrs. It is over 2 hours from Boston to Amherst.
5. Sure but why would they travel to an awful game I mean we could send the cheerleaders, the husky and a couple of drunk frat boys and we'll have more fans at the game than UMass.
6. Colorado did agree to a home and home with UMass. Temple too I guess. The others are payday games for UMass.
7. Well, that's right anyway.

Reaction Score
No one needs to like scheduling UMess, and I don't at this point, but there's no way a game at Gillette draws only 5K UCONN fans or only 20K people total.

Reaction Score
1. We'll see I guess. Umass as an indy I'm not so sure they even have a Team in 2016. This was yet another case of Warde taking the easy route. Crap game in a crap location (even best case, there will be no more than 20,000 fans in a 75000 seat stadium. YUCK! Utterly inapproapriate. Nothing says big time like playing in front of friends and family. In a 75000 seat stadium! Jeez we couldn' t have gotten 2 for 1? Umass is desperate for opponents.
2. Being nearby doesn't make it a "local rivalry." People caring does and nobody will care about this game.
3. What are you taking about? Why in god's name do we want to show we can play at Gillette? And even if you are right, kiss a Rent expansion goodbye.Besides, if we send 5000 to this one we'll likely have more fans than they will.
4. We recruit Massachusetts fine. No need for this game. Its under 2 hours from Boston to Storrs. It is over 2 hours from Boston to Amherst.
5. Sure but why would they travel to an awful game I mean we could send the cheerleaders, the husky and a couple of drunk frat boys and we'll have more fans at the game than UMass.
6. Colorado did agree to a home and home with UMass. Temple too I guess. The others are payday games for UMass.
7. Well, that's right anyway.

You may want to read my other posts. The purpose of my post was not to "sell" the UMASS game, rather come up with rational for it. Boston College, UCONN's arch enemy has a home and home with UMASS. Even though Boston/MA is a "Pro" town, this game is good for promoting college football in MA, visa vi, NC v NC State, VA v VA Tech, MI v MSU etc. Unfortunately, BC isn't playing us and we have no other in state D-1 rival to play. Someone said, a UCONN v UMASS game has more appeal regionally than playing Buffalo (who kicked UCONN's butt last year) and I agree. Now I will address your counter points.

1. I agree that no one likes to play in empty stadiums, Temple plays in the 68,000 capacity Lincoln Financial Field and averaged 22,500 last year. They pay $1,000,000 per year to play there. As time goes by, and if Temple survives they will probably end up renovating their own stadium. UMASS has completed a 30 Million renovation and expansion of McGuirk stadium (17K capacity) and the training facilities in Amherst which will solve the empty stadium problem. They have a contract that calls for 4 games at Gillette.

2. The American Athletic conference is moving into it's second year and is evolving. UMASS is going through their own process after winning 2 games in two years. Jim Calhoun helped create angst against UMASS during the Calipari era at UMASS. Hate is good for rivalries. Yankees/Redsox, need I say more. Having BC, UMASS and UCONN viable in D-1 football and playing each other is good for the region.

3. Playing at Gillette stadium would be an important consideration for a P-5 school until UCONN has the justification to expand. Other venues that have been mentioned include, Yale Bowl (old), Met Life Stadium, and Yankee Stadium. I don't believe playing in a larger venue nixes the idea of a Rentschler field expansion. There are far more variables that come into play in making that assessment.

4. Disagree. Playing games vs. MA teams is good for recruiting. Marketing games in the media, newspaper articles.

5. obviously under estimate the loyal fan base at UCONN dispite three straight losing seasons.

North east foot ball is pathetic in comparison with the SEC and obviously a UMASS/UCONN game is no Alabama- Auburn game but programs need local rivalries. UCONN also needs to put together winning seasons. I see more good reasons for playing these games in these times than not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Free - I don't think most of us want to play UMASS at all. But better than Buffalo esp because it is a road game we can get to easy. And better than playing in Amherst.

Reaction Score
It's ONE GAME not the whole schedule. It doesn't negatively impact our ability to schedule p5 games in any way. This is not a big deal either way. And it makes sense for a variety of reasons as many have posted.

It is a really cheap travel game. Bus over in 30 minutes. No planes. No big fuel bills. Very low expenses for this road trip. That makes it a more profitable for the athletic department , always a good thing.

It's good for the fans especially the students. An easy trip.

We recruit Massachusetts heavily. Like it our not we also compete with BCU for recruits. The greater our presence the better.

But here's what's important.

The single most important reason is the opportunity to engage the Boston Sports media. The are many, many local ties. We are the preeminent New England college sports program. We need to act like it. Planting a flag in Boston, reaching out to the Boston market is critical.

A larger Boston presence makes us more attractive to the B10. They count cable boxes and Boston has a lot. Combine that with our efforts to be relevant in New York and UConn can become the preeminent northeastern regional brand.

Does one game in Gillette accomplish that goal? No. But it is a step in the right direction and ignoring Boston isn't wise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's ONE GAME not the whole schedule. It doesn't negatively impact our ability to schedule p5 games in any way. This is not a big deal either way. And it makes sense for a variety of reasons as many have posted.

It is a really cheap travel game. Bus over in 30 minutes. No planes. No big fuel bills. Very low expenses for this road trip. That makes it a more profitable for the athletic department , always a good thing.

It's good for the fans especially the students. An easy trip.

We recruit Massachusetts heavily. Like it our not we also compete with BCU for recruits. The greater our presence the better.

But here's what's important.

The single most important reason is the opportunity to engage the Boston Sports media. The are many, many local ties. We are the preeminent New England college sports program. We need to act like it. Planting a flag in Boston, reaching out to the Boston market is critical.

A larger Boston presence makes us more attractive to the B10. They count cable boxes and Boston has a lot. Combine that with our efforts to be relevant in New York and UConn can become the preeminent northeastern regional brand.

Does one game in Gillette accomplish that goal? No. But it is a step in the right direction and ignoring Boston isn't wise.

Good points Pal!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pros.
Helps our presence in Boston.
Easy game for our fans to attend.
We recruit Mass heavily.
"W"

Cons.
Unattractive opponent.

Overall, it's a plus.
Add to the pros that we are pissing in BCUs front yard. This game sends a message to them.

Reaction Score
The Boston sports media couldn't care less about us. Ever hear anything about us on those supposed "New England" sports shows? This game won't change that (they don't care about UMass either). I don't think this game will draw flies. The purpose is to get a win, that's about it.

Reaction Score
The Boston sports media couldn't care less about us. Ever hear anything about us on those supposed "New England" sports shows? This game won't change that (they don't care about UMass either). I don't think this game will draw flies. The purpose is to get a win, that's about it

erased

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Boston sports media couldn't care less about us. Ever hear anything about us on those supposed "New England" sports shows? This game won't change that (they don't care about UMass either). I don't think this game will draw flies. The purpose is to get a win, that's about it.

Short Memories - Check out article from 2002 regarding UCONN's emergence. Don't be surprised if UMASS and Mark Whipple do a similar thing. They either want to join UCONN in the American or fill our slot when we leave for ACC or B1G

UConn football on track for Big East
JENNIFER LEE

Published December 2, 2002
The University of Connecticut's unexpected success on the football field this season has given the program a significant boost in its efforts to become a nationally prominent team.

In only their third year playing at the NCAA's highest football division, the Huskies pulled off a 6-6 season this year, winning their last four games including a season-ending victory over Iowa State. Not bad for a team that was 2-9 in 2001 and 3-8 in 2000, its first year as a Division I-A program.
"We were hoping to win at least four games this year," said UConn deputy athletic director Tom McElroy. "We would have been ecstatic with five, but now with six wins, including one over a good Iowa State team, they became their own ad campaign."

UConn had an advantage over other teams jumping from Division I-AA to I-A because the football team was guaranteed a spot in the Big East Conference, one of the six major revenue-generating conferences and where it is a member in other sports, in 2005.

"They're clearly ahead of schedule," said Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese. "I know when they announced they were going to make the move [to I-A] some people in our league questioned whether they belonged, but I think they've shown they belong, that they're committed to the program and they have huge potential. We're really excited to having them join in '05."

UConn, which averaged crowds of 15,807 in 16,200-seat Memorial Stadium this year, is moving to the new 40,000-seat Rentschler Field next season. The department's goal is to sell out the stadium in its first year. Anticipating the extra work needed to sell a stadium that will be more than twice the size of its existing one, UConn hired Baltimore-based The Leffler Agency to handle ticket campaigning efforts for 2003.

And so far the goal seems to be in reach, McElroy said. An early-bird 2003 season-ticket campaign offered to UConn Club members and existing season-ticket holders sold close to 12,000 for next year, about 9,000 more than projected, McElroy said. Additionally, 85 percent of those commitments are for at least three years, he said.

UConn football on television has fared better than other college football telecasts in the Hartford-New Haven market and, in some cases, better than prime-time offerings on other stations, said Klarn DePalma, general sales manager for WFSB Channel 3, the local CBS affiliate.

Connecticut coach Randy Edsall (center) celebrates his team’s win over Iowa State Nov. 23.
In the first year of a three-year deal with WFSB that began this past season, UConn games averaged a 4.5 rating over five games, with the Iowa State game getting a 6.1, DePalma said. By comparison, Southeastern Conference games, which also air on WFSB, have averaged between a 2.5 and 3.0 rating in the market, DePalma said.

UConn's 6.1 rating for the Iowa State game was better than all of ABC and Fox prime-time ratings in that market for that day, he said. DePalma said double-digit ratings, such as those garnered by UConn's basketball teams, are not out of reach.

Sponsorship also is growing. Before the season, UConn signed two major deals for the department: a 10-year, $10 million agreement with People's Bank, which increased revenue in the financial services category by almost tenfold, and a new deal with Cingular that more than doubled its existing agreement with the department, said E.J. Narcise, co-founder and partner in Team Services LLC, hired to retool sponsorship sales to reflect the program's move to the big time.

Sponsorship negotiations, however, are moving along even better with the team's success this season, Narcise said, adding that the department is close to completing a deal in the telecom category and is in discussions for deals in the automotive and soft-drink categories.

"The momentum of the program was already moving in the right direction before the season," Narcise said. "But when they can play tooth and nail against [Boston College] and then string four wins in a row, that's huge and it reverberates throughout the program whether it's in ticket sales or marketing."

Reaction Score
Short Memories - Check out article from 2002 regarding UCONN's emergence. Don't be surprised if UMASS and Mark Whipple do a similar thing. They either want to join UCONN in the American or fill our slot when we leave for ACC or B1G

UConn football on track for Big East
JENNIFER LEE

Published December 2, 2002
The University of Connecticut's unexpected success on the football field this season has given the program a significant boost in its efforts to become a nationally prominent team.

In only their third year playing at the NCAA's highest football division, the Huskies pulled off a 6-6 season this year, winning their last four games including a season-ending victory over Iowa State. Not bad for a team that was 2-9 in 2001 and 3-8 in 2000, its first year as a Division I-A program.
"We were hoping to win at least four games this year," said UConn deputy athletic director Tom McElroy. "We would have been ecstatic with five, but now with six wins, including one over a good Iowa State team, they became their own ad campaign."

UConn had an advantage over other teams jumping from Division I-AA to I-A because the football team was guaranteed a spot in the Big East Conference, one of the six major revenue-generating conferences and where it is a member in other sports, in 2005.

"They're clearly ahead of schedule," said Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese. "I know when they announced they were going to make the move [to I-A] some people in our league questioned whether they belonged, but I think they've shown they belong, that they're committed to the program and they have huge potential. We're really excited to having them join in '05."

UConn, which averaged crowds of 15,807 in 16,200-seat Memorial Stadium this year, is moving to the new 40,000-seat Rentschler Field next season. The department's goal is to sell out the stadium in its first year. Anticipating the extra work needed to sell a stadium that will be more than twice the size of its existing one, UConn hired Baltimore-based The Leffler Agency to handle ticket campaigning efforts for 2003.

And so far the goal seems to be in reach, McElroy said. An early-bird 2003 season-ticket campaign offered to UConn Club members and existing season-ticket holders sold close to 12,000 for next year, about 9,000 more than projected, McElroy said. Additionally, 85 percent of those commitments are for at least three years, he said.

UConn football on television has fared better than other college football telecasts in the Hartford-New Haven market and, in some cases, better than prime-time offerings on other stations, said Klarn DePalma, general sales manager for WFSB Channel 3, the local CBS affiliate.

Connecticut coach Randy Edsall (center) celebrates his team’s win over Iowa State Nov. 23.
In the first year of a three-year deal with WFSB that began this past season, UConn games averaged a 4.5 rating over five games, with the Iowa State game getting a 6.1, DePalma said. By comparison, Southeastern Conference games, which also air on WFSB, have averaged between a 2.5 and 3.0 rating in the market, DePalma said.

UConn's 6.1 rating for the Iowa State game was better than all of ABC and Fox prime-time ratings in that market for that day, he said. DePalma said double-digit ratings, such as those garnered by UConn's basketball teams, are not out of reach.

Sponsorship also is growing. Before the season, UConn signed two major deals for the department: a 10-year, $10 million agreement with People's Bank, which increased revenue in the financial services category by almost tenfold, and a new deal with Cingular that more than doubled its existing agreement with the department, said E.J. Narcise, co-founder and partner in Team Services LLC, hired to retool sponsorship sales to reflect the program's move to the big time.

Sponsorship negotiations, however, are moving along even better with the team's success this season, Narcise said, adding that the department is close to completing a deal in the telecom category and is in discussions for deals in the automotive and soft-drink categories.

"The momentum of the program was already moving in the right direction before the season," Narcise said. "But when they can play tooth and nail against [Boston College] and then string four wins in a row, that's huge and it reverberates throughout the program whether it's in ticket sales or marketing."
UMass hasn't invested nearly enough for this comparison, we jumped over MAC level. Their investment has put them at the very lowest level of MAC standards.

Reaction Score
UMass hasn't invested nearly enough for this comparison, we jumped over MAC level. Their investment has put them at the very lowest level of MAC standards.

This thread is about UCONN playing UMASS and about having rivalries in the Northeast. Why draw the conclusion that I am saying UMASS is at UCONN's level?
Clearly they are not! The comparison is that many didn't believe (and still don't) that UCONN could build a viable D-1 football program and the same holds true for UMASS. All I am saying is we should cut some slack for UMASS. Whipple has a huge uphill fight but I believe he is up for the challenge. UCONN's football culture's foundation was built under Randy Edsall and is currently being reinvented right before our eyes under Bob Diaco. CT was a totally pro sports state prior to the emergence of UCONN basketball 25 yrs ago!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one needs to like scheduling UMess, and I don't at this point, but there's no way a game at Gillette draws only 5K UCONN fans or only 20K people total.
Um, did you look at UMass's attendance last year? Their largest home crowd was 21,000, and they averaged around 14,500. They had 2 games at 10,000 and 10,500 and were on the verge of D1A probation for failing to meet attendance requirements. How many UConn fans do you think are travelling to a lousy game? And even if its 10,000, a number I think is pretty generous, remember that this is football and this game will be played at a 70,000 seat venue. So if we bring 10,000 and they bring their average (and 14500 is their RECORD AVERAGE), there will be less than 25000 in a 70,000 seat venue. Bee bees in a box car comes to mind. 10,000 fans can "take over" Madison Square Garden for an NCAA Regional Championship. that is more than 50% of capacity. 10,000 fans at 70,000 seat Gillette for a a lousy early season game is still bee bees in a box car.

Reaction Score
Free - I don't think most of us want to play UMASS at all. But better than Buffalo esp because it is a road game we can get to easy. And better than playing in Amherst.
Buffalo, UMass, I don't much care. That's what kind of game this is. This is an opener at home and I'm fine with it. But playing them on the road in that venue is going to be dreadful. Dead, empty. It isn't going to garner lots of Boston coverage as pal and some others think. Nobody cares about UMass football. It gets reported on the College Results page of the Sunday Globe, right next to the Harvard results. Probably beats out Tufts, though. Maybe if we have just come off an upset of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl in January, there's a decent crowd. Otherwise, not so much. If they fixed up McGirk and expanded it to some reasonable size, I'd much rather play there.

Reaction Score
Buffalo, UMass, I don't much care. That's what kind of game this is. This is an opener at home and I'm fine with it. But playing them on the road in that venue is going to be dreadful. Dead, empty. It isn't going to garner lots of Boston coverage as pal and some others think. Nobody cares about UMass football. It gets reported on the College Results page of the Sunday Globe, right next to the Harvard results. Probably beats out Tufts, though. Maybe if we have just come off an upset of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl in January, there's a decent crowd. Otherwise, not so much. If they fixed up McGirk and expanded it to some reasonable size, I'd much rather play there.

No doubt it is more appealing to play in recently revamped McGirk but from a travel perspective the game at Gillette is better for UCONN fan base. The attendance at Gillette has been horrible and the political climate in MA is not friendly towards the program. In spite of that, it sounds like the AD and University are still going forward on a 5-7 year plan. Right now, the program is on life support. This game is on and lets see what happens. In 2011 24,000 attendance for the UMASS - UNH game and lets hope for better than that.

UCONN has many more fish to fry than worrying about whether UMASS survives. We are at a critical point in UCONN football history.
The good news is hopefully it will be a D-1 win and will help us become bowl eligible. If it's a loss....fagetaboutit!

Reaction Score

Think about what you just said. If UConn stopped ignoring Boston, we could have a presence. This is a chicken and egg problem. The only way to solve it is to become relevant in the Boston market by playing there.

We should play in the Boston Garden every year. We should play at Gillette. We NEED TO MAKE AN EFFORT.

But I love your "let's just give up" attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom