UCONN vs UMASS @ Gillette Stadium 2016 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs UMASS @ Gillette Stadium 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've always been a proponent of playing UMass, so I like this. Chance for our fanbase to make a statement by overtaking Foxboro.

Not sure this really boosts recruiting in MA like some have suggested. Every kid in that state knows UConn and can easily attend a game at the Rent.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Our fanbase really needs to step up in the coming years. Season tickets, Yankee Stadium and now Gillette.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Remember the same knobs/snobs that look down on football for not being big time are ignorant of UConn's proximity to NYC and Boston. All they'll see is UConn dominating NYC and Boston and thinking UConn controls three distinct markets.

Reaction Score
Mehh - better than Buffalo again. And it's us in an NFL stadium. Should be a big UConn contingent there.

Reaction Score
Our fanbase really needs to step up in the coming years. Season tickets, Yankee Stadium and now Gillette.

Stay tuned. You got it. We are the key to AAC exodus. The school has things in place. We need fans to show up. Free tickets to kids if they don't. Finally demand Rent expansion and XL replacement before interest rates rise.

Reaction Score
Yawn. I don't see how this game benefits us at all.
Here are a few justifications:

1. It's a D-1/not FCS (yet) win - we need wins
2. LOCAL RIVALRY - we need them too!
3. Recruiting in Massachusetts
4. Opportunity to show B1G/ACC UCONN can play at Gillette for future games
5. Easy for UCONN students and fans to travel to
6. Apparently, FSU,PSU,CO,Vandy, BC, Temple and Notre Dame think it's okay
7. Reduced travel cost for athletic dept.

Reaction Score
Pros.
Helps our presence in Boston.
Easy game for our fans to attend.
We recruit Mass heavily.
"W"

Cons.
Unattractive opponent.

Overall, it's a plus.

Reaction Score
Here are a few justifications:

1. It's a D-1/not FCS (yet) win - we need wins
2. LOCAL RIVALRY - we need them too!
3. Recruiting in Massachusetts
4. Opportunity to show B1G/ACC UCONN can play at Gillette for future games
5. Easy for UCONN students and fans to travel to
6. Apparently, FSU,PSU,CO,Vandy, BC, Temple and Notre Dame think it's okay
7. Reduced travel cost for athletic dept.

Other than an easy away game to travel to, there's not much in this one for us.

Reaction Score

I think what gets lost here is the fact we are not 'Bama, or the U, or Ohio State. We are an upper team in the "not-so-power 5" conference. To be choosey or say there isn't much in it for us, seems to be a bit delusional to our situation. If this is marketed correctly to the New England area it can bring interest into two programs that desperately need it. Albeit, the interest will be mainly local.

Reaction Score
You really didn't refute any of his points. You just made an unsupported statement. Everything he wrote was true. And he made seven points. You made no points.

Reaction Score

I might ask what's in it for Alabama to play FIU or So. Miss? Or Ohio state Playing Kent State and Cincy? How about TX playing North Texas State, etc. All schools play inferior opponents. BC is playing UMASS because they know it's good for football in Massachusetts.

I agree, it's not a sexy game but I see nothing wrong with it. Mark Whipple knows how to win. UMASS should be given a chance. UCONN was and aside for the past three years, the program has been a success. I believe it is important to have competitive D-1 teams in the North East.

Reaction Score
You really didn't refute any of his points. You just made an unsupported statement. Everything he wrote was true. And he made seven points. You made no points.

He didn't make any points worth refuting.

Reaction Score
He didn't make any points worth refuting.
I'm sure ric can defend himself but c,mon.

1. It's a D-1/not FCS (yet) win - we need wins - You have to give him this one, a FCS win is always good.

2. LOCAL RIVALRY - we need them too! - Don't agree.

3. Recruiting in Massachusetts - A huge number of our players come from Mass. Playing in recruiting grounds gives the coaches a chance to interact with potential recruits by inviting them to an NFL stadium. This should get a very good reception with targeted players.

4. Opportunity to show B1G/ACC UCONN can play at Gillette for future games - Just as our BB showing in MSG was impressive, having fans travel and show up at Gillette will make a statement.

5. Easy for UCONN students and fans to travel to - Very important. A tremendous tailgating opportunity, a fan friendly away game.

6. Apparently, FSU,PSU,CO,Vandy, BC, Temple and Notre Dame think it's okay - faulty logic IMHO.

7. Reduced travel cost for athletic dept. - money is always important, his is a chance to put a few extra dollars in the athletic department coffers.

Added #8, He doesn't even mention the most important point, improving our presence and media coverage in Boston. We should be as big in Boston as we are in New York. Boston is the 5th DMA in the country, very important for TV and media dollar. An improved UConn presence makes UConn a valuable media commodity.

Reaction Score
Ick.
upload_2014-6-24_8-58-25.jpeg
"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen." John Wooden

Dooley

Reaction Score
They need to market this game as "the battle of New England" just to piss off BC.

I love this idea. Hey, if the Fruit can pay trillions of dollars to foolishly proclaim themselves as New York's College Team, I'm sure we can proclaim this game as the Battle of New England without much fuss.

Reaction Score
I think people are underestimating how bad UMass is going to be in the near future. If you think they were inept when they came here a couple years ago (worst offensive performance I've ever seen at the college level), just wait until the recruiting death spiral kicks in with no conference and a football future that isn't even guaranteed. They will be competing for recruits with Holy Cross.

It's an easy win and easy travel. That's about it. Fans are not going to get excited about this. How many people showed up to the game at the Rent? If we're still in the AAC and still rebuilding the game may draw about 30k. That's generous. The B1G won't notice.

Reaction Score
UMASS will not be playing in the MAC in 2016. They want in to the AAC but that isn't happening any day soon. The Sun Belt turned them down. I wonder where UMASS will end up? Independent, FCS, who knows? We need some local rivalry's and games. On the plus side the UMASS game will be good for MA recruiting for UCONN.

Check out UMASS's 2016 first 3 games in 2016. I thought our BYU opening this year was tough!
UMASS also plays Notre Dame in South Bend in 2015. The 2014 OOC schedule is Kamikaze like!

Saturday
Sept. 3
at Florida Gators
Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FLTBA---
Saturday
Sept. 10
Connecticut Huskies
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MATBA---
Saturday
Sept. 17
at Boston College Eagles
Alumni Stadium, Chestnut Hill, MATBA---
Saturday
Sept. 24
Rhode Island Rams
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MATBA---

Saturday
Sept. 12
at Colorado Buffaloes
Folsom Field, Boulder, COTBA---
Saturday
Sept. 19
Temple Owls
Amherst, MA or Foxborough, MATBA---
Saturday
Sept. 26
at Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Notre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame, INTime TBA
NBC---
Saturday
Oct. 3
FIU Golden Panthers
McGuirk Alumni Stadium, Amherst, MATBA---

Saturday
Aug. 30
Boston College Eagles
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA3:00 p.m. ET
ESPN3---
Saturday
Sept. 6
Colorado Buffaloes
Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, MA3:00 p.m. ET
ESPN3---
Saturday
Sept. 13
at Vanderbilt Commodores
Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TN12:00 p.m. ET
FSNBuy
Tickets

Saturday
Sept. 20
at Penn State Nittany Lions
Beaver Stadium, University Park, PATBA

Never understood why we didn't pick up Colorado. Name recognition though down cycle, P5, local alumni and a great away trip.

We could end up with a nice crowd for UMass then one week later crickets vs BC. Let's do it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think people are underestimating how bad UMass is going to be in the near future. If you think they were inept when they came here a couple years ago (worst offensive performance I've ever seen at the college level), just wait until the recruiting death spiral kicks in with no conference and a football future that isn't even guaranteed. They will be competing for recruits with Holy Cross.

It's an easy win and easy travel. That's about it. Fans are not going to get excited about this. How many people showed up to the game at the Rent? If we're still in the AAC and still rebuilding the game may draw about 30k. That's generous. The B1G won't notice.

No one is underestimating how bad UMASS is. They won 2 games in the last two years! There are all kinds of negatives. Boston is a pro town, etc. People usually have nothing good to say about UCONN either. UMASS sees what UCONN did in athletics and they have the resourses to try and do the same. Not saying they are going to be successful but many folks think UCONN is dead too! Here is an article about why Whipple came back to UMASS. No question the deck is stacked against them but they have not quit yet.
http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/index.ssf/2014/06/umass_football_coach_mark_whip.html

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one is underestimating how bad UMASS is. They won 2 games in the last two years! There are all kinds of negatives. Boston is a pro town, etc. People usually have nothing good to say about UCONN either. UMASS sees what UCONN did in athletics and they have the resourses to try and do the same. Not saying they are going to be successful but many folks think UCONN is dead too! Here is an article about why Whipple came back to UMASS. No question the deck is stacked against them but they have not quit yet.
http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/index.ssf/2014/06/umass_football_coach_mark_whip.html

So then other than an easy W and easy travel, what are the positives? If a good amount of diehards on the BY are not excited for the game, what makes you think the casual fan is going to go to Foxboro when they can't even bother to show up at the Rent every week?

Reaction Score
So then other than an easy W and easy travel, what are the positives? If a good amount of diehards on the BY are not excited for the game, what makes you think the casual fan is going to go to Foxboro when they can't even bother to show up at the Rent every week?
The positive are about the same as Boston Colleges positives for playing UMASS. Not saying this is an "A" game but just trying to give SOME rational for playing them. It's like saying give me a list of positives for a VW Bug. I could do that but I still would rather be driving a Porsche! If you need a ride, driving a VW Beetle is still better than walking!

Dooley

Reaction Score
With all of the talk about northeast expansion and the value of college football in the northeast, below are a few attendance figures for UCONN fans to focus in on for our games against Army and UMASS. Granted, some games were played in bigger venues than Yankee Stadium or Gillette and featured games with more prominent programs, but UCONN fans should try to beat as many of these amounts below.

Regular Season:
61,202 - Penn State vs Syracuse (MetLife - 2013)...thanks to a majority PSU crowd
57,323 - Penn State @ Temple (2011)
54,251 - Notre Dame @ Army (Yankee Stadium - 2010)
41,292 - Rutgers vs Army (MetLife Stadium "New Meadowlands Stadium" - 2010)
39,507 - Syracuse vs USC (MetLife Stadium - 2012)
30,028 - Rutgers @ Army (Yankee Stadium - 2012)

Bowl games:
47,122 - Notre Dame vs Rutgers (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2013)
39,098 - Syracuse vs WVU (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2012)
38,328 - Rutgers vs Iowa State (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2011)
38,274 - Syracuse vs Kansas State (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2010)

The first attendance mark that UCONN fans should obviously try to smash is the 2012 RU/Army game. If we can't draw 30K to Yankee Stadium on a non-holiday weekend, then we deserve our AAC seat. Obviously a sellout of Yankee Stadium would make a HUGE statement to anyone in a P5 conference that cares about TV ratings in and around New York. But I think outdrawing every Rutgers attendance figure at Yankee Stadium would make an equally bold statement, including their Pinstripe Bowl. Even if we draw over 40K to the game, it will also beat every Syracuse attendance mark at Yankee Stadium and their Syracuse/USC game at MetLife. Their game at MetLife against Penn State was basically a home game for Penn State so the large attendance figure there can be attributed to PSU fans gobbling tickets.

What we don't have as comparison measures are neutral site games played in the Boston area. Notre Dame will play a future home game against BC at Fenway Park but the available capacity will be much lower than Gillette. If UCONN/UMASS can draw over 40K at Gillette, that is an equally bold statement about UCONN's reach. This football series with UMASS isn't about quality of opponent. It is completely about Warde trying to demonstrate UCONN's reach within the northeast. It is up to UCONN Country to not let him (and us!) down. Low attendance figures for either/both games will all but cement the perception out there that UCONN belongs in the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom