UCONN vs UMASS @ Gillette Stadium 2016 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs UMASS @ Gillette Stadium 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like their plan of attack... It seems like we're stuck in limbo.. unless we win winnable games...
This wasnt a football decision for them. It was a basketball decision. Umass said "we can't have our basketball program in the MAC" so they cut the ties. The MAC had a clause which required them to join in all sports or split after a few years. So Umass chose to split. They are VERY concerned at how this is going to play out for football for them with no conference.

DrG

Reaction Score
When the MAC admitted UMass as an associate member for football, everything was tied to Temple. Had Temple remained in the MAC for football only, UMass could have continued that arrangement. Everything changed when Temple joined the AAC for all sports. At that point, the MAC invoked a requirement that UMass join for all sports or end its football relationship. As explained above, UMass chose the latter option. The lack of a conference is indeed a concern at a sensitive time for UMass football. I'd just like to think Whipple wouldn't have taken the job without a long-term FBS plan in place.

pj

Reaction Score
Hope UMass can stay at FBS. It would be good to have a regional rival, and home-and-homes if we get nearly all the tickets at the Rent and half the tickets at Gillette would almost be like two home games for us. Showing we can draw in Boston and NYC (would love to see the Army game become an every year thing, alternating Rent and Yankee stadium) would be huge for us.

But, if they can't get a football-only invite to a league, I don't see how they can stay FBS. Unless they are willing to play 10 road games a year. Which might make sense from a financial and scheduling perspective, but would be terrible for recruiting and building a fan base.

Reaction Score
this is stunning & hilarious; its all come full circle-the resurrection of the Yankee Conference

when can we expect the return of the rest of the guys: new Hampshire, maine, uri, Vermont, boston u

in the '60's a big non conf game was yale or holy cross-oh, excuse me holy cross is already on the slate next year, I don't believes it

Reaction Score
There "plan of attack" is get as many payday games a possible and play before crickets at home. You like that?
I get the play before crickets comment, but looking at things in a way that's glass half full, maybe their doing to attract recruits... They're still not close to us in terms of how good a football team/program but demographics seems to be on their side, even with BCU in their back yard... Unlike us, they get to play games in an NFL stadium.

Not knocking you in any sorts bro, I just wanna see what we've been thru the past 11 (now 12th) seasons start to bare more fruit... Losing's not cool... and that's all we've seen the past 3 years. We all know UCONN football is better than that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
this is stunning & hilarious; its all come full circle-the resurrection of the Yankee Conference

when can we expect the return of the rest of the guys: new Hampshire, maine, uri, Vermont, boston u

in the '60's a big non conf game was yale or holy cross-oh, excuse me holy cross is already on the slate next year, I don't believes it
It still makes me nervous when I read and understand Chappy's posts. Like I had a stroke or something and now I interpret random letters as a coherent idea.

Reaction Score
I like their plan of attack... It seems like we're stuck in limbo.. unless we win winnable games...
So far in 2014 UMASS surprised me a little. Got beat by BC but not annihilated, 30-7. They almost pulled one out in losing to a weak, PAC12 Colorado team 41-38. UMASS lead at half time 21-20. Vanderbuilt is having their troubles and who knows perhaps they could knock Vandy off and be at 1-2 going into the Penn State game. They will likely lose to Penn State but a good showing could speaking well for what Whipple is doing at UMASS.

Reaction Score
I get the play before crickets comment, but looking at things in a way that's glass half full, maybe their doing to attract recruits... They're still not close to us in terms of how good a football team/program but demographics seems to be on their side, even with BCU in their back yard... Unlike us, they get to play games in an NFL stadium.

Not knocking you in any sorts bro, I just wanna see what we've been thru the past 11 (now 12th) seasons start to bare more fruit... Losing's not cool... and that's all we've seen the past 3 years. We all know UCONN football is better than that.
UMass at the D1 level has been an abject disaster so far, and a lot of it has to do with not playing on campus. They need to move the games back to Amherst or else it will fail completely. No one out here at all cares about UMass football, they're drawing numbers (in actual fans) at Gillette equivalent to their hockey games. They advertised the living HELL out of the BC game here in Boston - ads on nearly every T train/bus, ads on garbage cans all over city, billboards, everything, and they still drew 30K, at least 50% of which were BC fans. Their plan is simply not working.

Reaction Score
You also have UMass Boston and UMass Dartmouth. UMass Lowell is the only other playing any D1 sports, hockey.

You also have another grouping of schools like Worcester State, Fitchburg State, and Framingham State among others.

UMass-Lowell is a HIGH flyer. Growing at a 65% + clip over the last 10 years. Amherst is near 20% - I think. UMass-Lowell, with Marty Meehan (former Congressman) has learned how to partner. With MIT. With Google. Robotics with a lot of the Tech companies in greater 128/495 corridor. Amherst is simply getting nudged out by the better geography and oomph/initiative of this school. There aren't many like it in the East.

Worcester, Fitchburg, Framingham, Westfield ... AIN'T in the same discussion.

DrG

Reaction Score
Football returns to the Amherst campus on Sept. 27 for the homecoming game vs, Bowling Green, the first of three MAC games on campus. McGuirk Stadium is aging but there is a new state-of-the-art performance center in the north end zone and a new press box/skybox facility. There are also plans to create an indoor practice facility. The stadium still seats only 17,000 and certainly is nowhere near AAC quality, let alone P5 quality, but there are reports the BG game might sell out, so that's a step in the right direction. I agree football belongs on campus (with a major OOC game to be played at Gillette).

Let's dispense with the notion that Lowell is going to supersede Amherst as the de facto flagship campus. UMass-Lowell has made great strides, but that ain't gonna happen. People inside 128 don't give a crap about Lowell either.

Reaction Score
UMass-Lowell is a HIGH flyer. Growing at a 65% + clip over the last 10 years. Amherst is near 20% - I think. UMass-Lowell, with Marty Meehan (former Congressman) has learned how to partner. With MIT. With Google. Robotics with a lot of the Tech companies in greater 128/495 corridor. Amherst is simply getting nudged out by the better geography and oomph/initiative of this school. There aren't many like it in the East.

Worcester, Fitchburg, Framingham, Westfield ... AIN'T in the same discussion.

I agree that Marty Meehan has done a fantastic job at UMass Lowell. He has done far more then was ever expected.

I also agree that Worcester, Fitchburg, Framingham, Westfield ... AIN'T in the same discussion.

Reaction Score
Football returns to the Amherst campus on Sept. 27 for the homecoming game vs, Bowling Green, the first of three MAC games on campus. McGuirk Stadium is aging but there is a new state-of-the-art performance center in the north end zone and a new press box/skybox facility. There are also plans to create an indoor practice facility. The stadium still seats only 17,000 and certainly is nowhere near AAC quality, let alone P5 quality, but there are reports the BG game might sell out, so that's a step in the right direction. I agree football belongs on campus (with a major OOC game to be played at Gillette).

The test wont be the first game back on campus. It's a new thing, hype surrounds it, etc. The test will be the third game and next year on campus. As far as Whipple taking the job and long term plans go, they (Umass admin) have no idea what is going to happen. There is no secret deal with anyone. They are hopeful they can get into a league like the AAC just as we are hopeful we can get out the AAC and into the B1G or ACC.

Reaction Score
Very disappointing its not BC, but this is a lot better than Buffalo or Western Michigan. If we must play the MAC (or sun belt) this is the way to go.
Don't give accolades to BC. They don't deserve it. It is their loss that they are not playing UConn, not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom