UConn vs UCF game thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn vs UCF game thread

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
By the way, did Nat just miss another bunny from Crystal Dangerfield? Sigh. I love you Nat, but...well, you'll get it sooner or later. Go Nat.
I'd have to confirm it, but, I think she was fouled, hard, and it wasn't called - Big Girl handicap

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
People might want to check out the ending of the TX-WV game on FS1. WV is up by 2 points with 2:17 to play.

WV is a potential 8/9 seed and could be sent to Storrs.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
By the way, did Nat just miss another bunny from Crystal Dangerfield? Sigh. I love you Nat, but...well, you'll get it sooner or later. Go Nat.

Ouch. Two of the nicest Crystal Dangerfield passes to Nat and they rim out. Just bad luck I guess because she did catch them cleanly. I think Crystal Dangerfield has moved to the point where Geno trusts her and is willing to let her run the ship when she is in there even if she goes overboard (or as Katie Smith says greedy) once in a while. She has gotten over any offensive anxiety with both mid range and 3 pt shooting (Baylor was an outlier) and her defense has become really really good. I think the only thing she should do more of is drive more to the basket and draw some fouls.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ouch. Two of the nicest Crystal Dangerfield passes to Nat and they rim out. Just bad luck I guess because she did catch them cleanly. I think Crystal Dangerfield has moved to the point where Geno trusts her and is willing to let her run the ship when she is in there even if she goes overboard (or as Katie Smith says greedy) once in a while. She has gotten over any offensive anxiety with both mid range and 3 pt shooting (Baylor was an outlier) and her defense has become really really good. I think the only thing she should do more of is drive more to the basket and draw some fouls.
Mostly I agree. She got caught twice on those quick lob passes inside and dribbled the ball off of her foot for turnovers. She also quick shot a few times, all of which can make Geno lose his mind, and if there were a longer bench would've earned her a seat. Nevertheless she's just so much better on both sides of the ball now that keeping her on the bench even next year is not an option. She, in my opinion is the wild card for the tourney.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
People might want to check out the ending of the TX-WV game on FS1. WV is up by 2 points with 2:17 to play.

WV is a potential 8/9 seed and could be sent to Storrs.

Brook McCarty misses an open 3pt to tie. She is snake bit. Still want her taking the final shot.

Reaction Score
And Nat dropped an earlier pass to her in the paint, so she cost the team 6 points and cost her teammates 3 assists. She has looked better than she did tonight.

Reaction Score
Mostly I agree. She got caught twice on those quick lob passes inside and dribbled the ball off of her foot for turnovers. She also quick shot a few times, all of which can make Geno lose his mind, and if there were a longer bench would've earned her a seat. Nevertheless she's just so much better on both sides of the ball now that keeping her on the bench even next year is not an option. She, in my opinion is the wild card for the tourney.

She won't have the opportunity to be a wild card if the coaches don't trust her.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Brook McCarty misses an open 3pt to tie. She is snake bit. Still want her taking the final shot.
Hey give WVa credit. Texas too. Both teams played hard. At least McCarty didn't score 34 and Holmes pull down 27 boards and they still lose by 1.

Reaction Score
Down 30 with a minute left and they decide they are going to press? Classless!
Nah. The coach and UCF are not to blame. Blame the referees, who allowed the game to be played this way. I do not mind our bench being challenged, but do mind they not get mauled. The possibility of injury is the issue. I would have felt better about the press if Nat could have converted those layups.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I agree that the quick shooting can get on Geno's nerves but the reverse (indecision and lack of confidence) is far worse. She is looking alot like the upperclassman version of MoJett on both ends and is essentially an even better pure passer. If MD is in our bracket, I will enjoy the freshman matchup between Crystal Dangerfield and Destiny Slocum.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hey give WVa credit. Texas too. Both teams played hard. At least McCarty didn't score 34 and Holmes pull down 27 boards and they still lose by 1.

Never intended to slight WV but I do not have much info on them and therefore, no feelings. Seeing McCarty play so well and with so much poise in the TX wars against Baylor and FSU made me a big fan so I feel her pain. :(:(:(

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's tournament time. The starters have been conditioned all season for this and have experience from last season.

Of course they *can* at this point. They could probably go another 20 mins if needed, to preserve the W.

My point was that when you have a game tomorrow, you can and should think about sitting them a bit earlier when you have a big lead.

Reaction Score
Nah. The coach and UCF are not to blame. Blame the referees, who allowed the game to be played this way. I do not mind our bench being challenged, but do mind they not get mauled. The possibility of injury is the issue. I would have felt better about the press if Nat could have converted those layups.

I agree with what you say about the referees, but the press was certainly unnecessary, and either the coach ordered it, or could have called it off. Also, during UCONN's last possession, they start to drop back and let the game end, but then race up and put on a double-team. Sorry, but that's cheap garbage. If you're a coach with class, your team doesn't do that.

Reaction Score
Anyone surprised Kyla doesn't get more burn? Especially in the 2nd half?

Anyone surprised UCF were pressing with 2:00 left and we had our bench in? I mean what kinda chit is that?

We should have put our starters back in and pressed them!!

Reaction Score
I agree with what you say about the referees, but the press was certainly unnecessary, and either the coach ordered it, or could have called it off. Also, during UCONN's last possession, they start to drop back and let the game end, but then race up and put on a double-team. Sorry, but that's cheap garbage. If you're a coach with class, your team doesn't do that.
U beat me too it!!

First year coach setting a tone? Still bull chit

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Reminds me of the 2000 Championship game.

Reaction Score
Just a few observations from tonights game. I was lucky enough to be sitting pretty close to the floor:

1. Great crowd the arena was probably 80% packed. I know its smaller than XL but it was still a solid crowd. I do miss the Intro/Video of champions are not born but made here at upon video they do at XL. I do get this is not technically a home game but a tournament..

2. Kia looked tentative and not 100% strong especially in the beginning of the game. The first play of the game was a Kia breakaway I was totally holding my breath.

3. UCF came to play today. They have some shooters and played physical. I certainly think we brought our B- game. I know Geno will Not be happy tonight. If we play like this in the final 4 we may not advance. Please don't take that comment as we played poorly i just didn't see our usually defense and crispness. I think we had streaks of that but not the majority of the game.

4. Butler was way off today. She was pissed at her self. She really has worked hard getting in better shape after her thumb injury but she needs to work on agility drills, she is so stiff. Someone page Tony Horton. I wish I got to see more Kyla. Granted I'm NOT at practice but I wish she would get more run, especially in the second half.

5. No Justine- Buzz Kill.

I think everyone just wants to get to the NCAA tournament, this conference is so boring. Fast forward to the elite 8 and let the games begin.

Reaction Score
UCF has fallen twice to the floor while dribbling without a walk being called. What up?
I saw those as well, and I yelled at the TV for the travel calls, but the refs didn't hear me!

There were lots of other non-calls that should have been calls. And I really don't understand the foul called on KLS when she was backpedaling and trying hard to get out of the way but the UCF player kept dribbling and running right at her. KLS wasn't defending or blocking. She can't just disappear. I think it was either a charge or a no-call, but not a foul on KLS.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I saw those as well, and I yelled at the TV for the travel calls, but the refs didn't hear me!

There were lots of other non-calls that should have been calls. And I really don't understand the foul called on KLS when she was backpedaling and trying hard to get out of the way but the UCF player kept dribbling and running right at her. KLS wasn't defending or blocking. She can't just disappear. I think it was either a charge or a no-call, but not a foul on KLS.
At the end there was a 3rd fall and the refs failed to see that one as well. C'est la vie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom