UCONN vs. Texas - the good, bad and ugly | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. Texas - the good, bad and ugly

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There was a lot of good that came out of this game. But first the ugly...

Geno mentioned it at the end - he needs to work with the bench a LOT over the next 2 weeks since he did not feel he could count on them for ANYTHING tonight. 6 players played the entire game, and he's right, we can't go thru the NCAA's with only 6. Danger and Nurse went all 40 minutes and Williams/Samuelson played 37 each.

The bad - turnovers in the first half, and 5 by Gabby, 4 by Napheesa. Give a TON of credit to Texas - they played a LOT of offense, GREAT ball movement, and great decision making by them - a lot of close shots just did not fall (same for UCONN with those missed bunnies).

The good - pretty much everything else. Look - this was a sold out away game - as rowdy an environment as you could imagine. Texas is bigger, stronger, and at certain positions, quicker (not at the 5 for sure), and way deeper (Aston got 50 minutes PT off her bench from 4 players to 20 for UCONN. However, she only got 5 points off her bench. We got 16). 14 O-boards for Texas to our 5. We were out-rebounded by 6. BUT... we still found a way to win. Both teams had their chances at the end. Our FT shooting was amazing till Lou missed 2 in a row (LOU??? Go figure!!)...

While I'm a tad surprised that there is pretty much no gap between UCONN and other top teams (so far ND and Texas could easily have beaten us), how great was it to not only come away with a win, but for Geno to have so many teachable moments? Even for the kids who played - there were bad decisions galore all night long for UCONN, and at times on offense, players were actually running into each other. Again, credit to Texas for taking away all the things we like to do. They certainly scouted the crap out of us!

But my biggest take away is that this team is tough as nails. Every single player out there battled the absolute best she could. And it was just enough. So proud of the team. And EVERY single kid who played had shining highlight moments. All 6 of our core group had sensational plays, on offense or defense, that made me say "WOW".

The thing I may be most proud of is the meteoric growth in Crystal's game from last year to this year. Yes everyone is better, but it's SO noticeable with her that it needs to be mentioned, loudly and often IMHO. I simply LOVE her game...

Go UCONN!!

Reaction Score

Geno mentioned it at the end - he needs to work with the bench a LOT over the next 2 weeks since he did not feel he could count on them for ANYTHING tonight. 6 players played the entire game, and he's right, we can't go thru the NCAA's with only 6. Danger and Nurse went all 40 minutes and Williams/Samuelson played 37 each.

The bad - turnovers in the first half, and 5 by Gabby, 4 by Napheesa. Give a TON of credit to Texas - they played a LOT of offense, GREAT ball movement, and great decision making by them - a lot of close shots just did not fall (same for UCONN with those missed bunnies).

The good - pretty much everything else. Look - this was a sold out away game - as rowdy an environment as you could imagine. Texas is bigger, stronger, and at certain positions, quicker (not at the 5 for sure), and way deeper (Aston got 50 minutes PT off her bench from 4 players to 20 for UCONN. However, she only got 5 points off her bench. We got 16). 14 O-boards for Texas to our 5. We were out-rebounded by 6. BUT... we still found a way to win. Both teams had their chances at the end. Our FT shooting was amazing till Lou missed 2 in a row (LOU??? Go figure!!)...

While I'm a tad surprised that there is pretty much no gap between UCONN and other top teams (so far ND and Texas could easily have beaten us), how great was it to not only come away with a win, but for Geno to have so many teachable moments? Even for the kids who played - there were bad decisions galore all night long for UCONN, and at times on offense, players were actually running into each other. Again, credit to Texas for taking away all the things we like to do. They certainly scouted the crap out of us!

But my biggest take away is that this team is tough as nails. Every single player out there battled the absolute best she could. And it was just enough. So proud of the team. And EVERY single kid who played had shining highlight moments. All 6 of our core group had sensational plays, on offense or defense, that made me say "WOW".

The thing I may be most proud of is the meteoric growth in Crystal's game from last year to this year. Yes everyone is better, but it's SO noticeable with her that it needs to be mentioned, loudly and often IMHO. I simply LOVE her game...

Go UCONN!!
The bad on Gabby, and I can't let this go, wide open at the foul line, defense backing off, maybe protecting against her drives or maybe knowing that Gabby isn't comfortable with the 10-15 foot jumper. I know all of her superlatives, assists, rebounds, steals, but if Gabby made half of her close open looks, Texas is out of it by the fourth quarter. And I love Gabby. Great gutsy win.

Reaction Score
The bad on Gabby, and I can't let this go, wide open at the foul line, defense backing off, maybe protecting against her drives or maybe knowing that Gabby isn't comfortable with the 10-15 foot jumper. I know all of her superlatives, assists, rebounds, steals, but if Gabby made half of her close open looks, Texas is out of it by the fourth quarter. And I love Gabby. Great gutsy win.

She did take and swish a foul line jumper in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score

Go UCONN!!

Crystal---won the game. Simple.

I saw a lot of bad and significant ugly. Geno needs to go back to the drawing board. First thing he has to do is position No.23 on offense and defense. She needs to be near the basket.
He also needs to put loads of time into his sophs and frosh---fresh legs of Texas were upon you, the long live long night. Where was the highly rated Uconn Defense? What did Tx shoot in the half 60 percent?????
This wasn't a WIN --it was an escape. 1 more minute long--you guess!!
I said in a previous post ---Uconn is 5 fouls away from disaster--close tonight they were one foul away.
Collier out, then Kia, then Gabby---who fill the holes?? Z and Walker--then who??
If you don't prepare them prior to needing them---they aren't any use to you as a team. You don't get game experience in practice.

That said---I loved the game-- a welterweight boxing match---punch, counter punch--to the bitter end.
I could crow about bad refs--but refs are refs and they made bad calls in uconn's favor too.
Superior game plan for TX, superior shooting, superior defense, superior rebounding---they out Petered themselves.

Reaction Score
I would not say anyone can easily beat us. It took MSST a war in OT on last shot to win. Perhaps they have shown its possible, but no would not give more than a couple teams that.... Louisville is going to be real real interesting.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For a team that doesnt foul we had Collier foul out and two others in foul trouble and we still pulled it out. Guts pure Guts and Determination to win. Texas played their best game of the season IMO. Texas reminded me of LVille beating ND. Texas looked that good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with you, but have to point out that Gabby took only one foul line jumper and she knocked it down.

Reaction Score
1. Is it OK to assume that without this game, Geno would not have made a concerted attempt to develop the bench by the end of January?

2. Our recruiting was among the best for 2017-18. So much has been posted about how Geno has his pick among the top recruits. Yet with half the season gone, 6 of the players can only get some garbage time. Forget about stepping up at critical moments. Has anything gone wrong? If so what exactly has gone wrong?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This game will do a world of good in the long run. The Huskies won a tough game on the road against a very talented team. While I’m sure they’re happy to have won the game, they now know that they’re also vulnerable, and that will give them a laser focus for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
1. Is it OK to assume that without this game, Geno would not have made a concerted attempt to develop the bench by the end of January?

2. Our recruiting was among the best for 2017-18. So much has been posted about how Geno has his pick among the top recruits. Yet with half the season gone, 6 of the players can only get some garbage time. Forget about stepping up at critical moments. Has anything gone wrong? If so what exactly has gone wrong?

I agree. Every team UConn plays, goes deep into their bench. The blowouts are understandable, but the ranked teams do this also. Something is not right. Tonight is a perfect example. UConn had to use 6 of the best players in the country to beat a team that used 9 players. Sometimes you have to sub whether you want to or not.

Reaction Score
Crystal---won the game. Simple.

I saw a lot of bad and significant ugly. Geno needs to go back to the drawing board. First thing he has to do is position No.23 on offense and defense. She needs to be near the basket.
He also needs to put loads of time into his sophs and frosh---fresh legs of Texas were upon you, the long live long night. Where was the highly rated Uconn Defense? What did Tx shoot in the half 60 percent?????
This wasn't a WIN --it was an escape. 1 more minute long--you guess!!
I said in a previous post ---Uconn is 5 fouls away from disaster--close tonight they were one foul away.
Collier out, then Kia, then Gabby---who fill the holes?? Z and Walker--then who??
If you don't prepare them prior to needing them---they aren't any use to you as a team. You don't get game experience in practice.

That said---I loved the game-- a welterweight boxing match---punch, counter punch--to the bitter end.
I could crow about bad refs--but refs are refs and they made bad calls in uconn's favor too.
Superior game plan for TX, superior shooting, superior defense, superior rebounding---they out Petered themselves.

I am really surprised we won that game. We were missing shots....easy shots....all night. Kia, who earlier in the season drained about 13 straight threes, missed all of her attempts. Perhaps playing 40 tough minutes, against a quality, deep and athletic team ( also one with some size ) took a toll . A one point, we missed two lay-ups ( one, on a steal by Gabby ) and an open three within about 1 minute. And it is true, Texas had waves of players and we had six.

I don't think Geno would have gone to the bench if we had two players fouls out. He seems so disappointed in the bench ( including one of the best recruiting classes in the country ), that he would rather play just four. It is like Hoosiers. Naphessa still seems psyched out by those 8 footers she made relentlessly last season. Although that three near the end was a dagger. Z has to give up on her outside shot. She may hit them in practice ( how? Does anyone believe this?), but they aren't a threat in real games, and they are just an easy turnover. Gabby had one of her worst offensive games of all time. But her overall work and contribution was huge. She was playing center against a talented monster, for most of the night. Kay Lou and Crystal were pretty much the story tonight. Hustle, fight, and talent.

But Geno is right. UCONN cannot win it all with just the six playing all the minutes. Not this year. Not unless this group of six are all at the top of their games at the same time. Frankly, I think we " drained the tank" coming back to beat Texas in Austin. A huge win for grit, talent and effort. How is he going to develop that bench, exactly? It is not his style to do it any other way than via practice and, to date, that earned the bench zero minutes in this huge game, in mid January. They will practice harder tomorrow?

He has done it before. We all know that. But this season, for some reason, the magic hasn't kicked in. Would Maya Moore still be sitting?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sometimes (often, actually) you can get the wrong impression from the initial “eye test”, and you have to look at the numbers. The numbers tell a different story than some of BroadwayVa’s and Tonyc’s comments seem to imply.

1. The vaunted UConn defense didn’t disappear at all. Texas shot only 43% (higher than AAC opponents but hardly stellar), and most of their makes were in the first 6 minutes of the game. They made ONE 3-point shot in the last three quarters.

2. As with the Mississippi State game last year, the bad number (and the reason the game was close) was the comparative shot attempts. Texas attempted 67 shots and made 29; UConn attempted only 53 shots and made 26. If the shot attempts had been more or less equal, the score would not have been close.

3. And of course, that was attributable to rebounding. Texas had 14 offensive rebounds compared to UConn’s 5 — that’s 9 extra shots right there. Texas had 36 total rebounds to UConn’s 30. I don’t have separate statistics for each half, but I would guess that most of this damage was in the first half. Geno said that UConn rebounded much better in the second half, and my eyes would concur with that assessment.

4. I agree that Gabby passed up many mid-range jump shots that the defense was offering to her, before finally hitting one in the 4th quarter. If she had made a few of those earlier, a lot of opportunities for Azura and Pheesa would have opened up under the basket.

5. UConn only had three steals, compared to 21 (I think) against Houston. A lot of UConn’s game is built on turning defense into offense, and that was pretty much shut down because Texas wasn’t turning it over. I guess that is partly because they have good, quick guards, but so did UCLA and UConn got steals against UCLA.

6. I agree with Geno and seemingly the entire Boneyard that UConn needs to have more than six players available for big games such as this. I think Megan and Mikayla have the ability, and hopefully they just have to show more consistency in practice and in AAC games to make a breakthrough. You will notice that despite the nice words about Kyla, she didn’t get near the floor in this game. She wouldn’t have been able to compete with Texas’s bigs without sending them to the foul line way too often.

7. I can’t help but thinking how much of a difference it would have made if Natalie Butler were on the UConn bench this evening. She probably would have played 15-20 minutes, and probably would have been effective against Caron-Goudreau. I don’t think the rebounding would have been severely in Texas’s favor if she were playing, and if Texas didn’t have that edge, they would not have been able to keep the score close.

Reaction Score
Texas looked wonderful. They were very much on their game. Their bigs played big, their guards were fast and boy, did they shoot the lights out for a while. What a fine game. I would think that any casual, viewer would have hung around until the end.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am really surprised we won that game. We were missing shots....easy shots....all night. Kia, who earlier in the season drained about 13 straight threes, missed all of her attempts. Perhaps playing 40 tough minutes, against a quality, deep and athletic team ( also one with some size ) took a toll . A one point, we missed two lay-ups ( one, on a steal by Gabby ) and an open three within about 1 minute. And it is true, Texas had waves of players and we had six.

I don't think Geno would have gone to the bench if we had two players fouls out. He seems so disappointed in the bench ( including one of the best recruiting classes in the country ), that he would rather play just four. It is like Hoosiers. Naphessa still seems psyched out by those 8 footers she made relentlessly last season. Although that three near the end was a dagger. Z has to give up on her outside shot. She may hit them in practice ( how? Does anyone believe this?), but they aren't a threat in real games, and they are just an easy turnover. Gabby had one of her worst offensive games of all time. But her overall work and contribution was huge. She was playing center against a talented monster, for most of the night. Kay Lou and Crystal were pretty much the story tonight. Hustle, fight, and talent.

But Geno is right. UCONN cannot win it all with just the six playing all the minutes. Not this year. Not unless this group of six are all at the top of their games at the same time. Frankly, I think we " drained the tank" coming back to beat Texas in Austin. A huge win for grit, talent and effort. How is he going to develop that bench, exactly? It is not his style to do it any other way than via practice and, to date, that earned the bench zero minutes in this huge game, in mid January. They will practice harder tomorrow?

He has done it before. We all know that. But this season, for some reason, the magic hasn't kicked in. Would Maya Moore still be sitting?
Kia was 1-4 from 3. More importantly she was 6-6 from the FT line.

Reaction Score
Texas looked wonderful. They were very much on their game. Their bigs played big, their guards were fast and boy, did they shoot the lights out for a while. What a fine game. I would think that any casual, viewer would have hung around until the end.

Despite what people always say about UConn gets all the best recruits, I thought Texas has more pure talent, but UConn is a better team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

I don't think Geno would have gone to the bench if we had two players fouls out. He seems so disappointed in the bench ( including one of the best recruiting classes in the country ), that he would rather play just four. It is like Hoosiers. Naphessa still seems psyched out by those 8 footers she made relentlessly last season. Although that three near the end was a dagger. Z has to give up on her outside shot. She may hit them in practice ( how? Does anyone believe this?), but they aren't a threat in real games, and they are just an easy turnover. Gabby had one of her worst offensive games of all time.

Your first few factual statements are wrong. UConn was not significantly below average in shooting — they shot 49% (26 of 53). Against a Top 10 team, that is quite good. Kia did not miss all of her 3-pointer shots; she was 1 of 3, and the one was a clutch shot. Texas did not have “waves” of players off their bench. They had 4 players, who scored 5 points and got 6 rebounds. Brooke McCarty had to play all 40 minutes.

So I don’t take seriously your assertion that Geno would have played with 4 if Azura or Kia had fouled out. When Stef and Samarie Walker fouled out trying to defend Brittney Griner a few years ago, he put in Heather Buck, and she did OK. But clearly he thought he was better off doing what he did, and I think he was right.

I don’t believe that Azura took a 3-point shot after the first quarter, which tells me that Geno addressed that issue with her. And yes, I believe she makes them in practice, because she made them at Duke. If and when she finds that shot in games, it will be a major offensive weapon for UConn, so she has to avoid giving up on it.

Reaction Score
Lets see -Yelling at the T.V. for Gabby to shoot (for crying out loud when you are that open shoot the damn ball) - also yelling at Z " Don,t shoot" when she was behind the 3 point line although I did laugh out loud when she shot the 3 air ball. She can try the 3 in blowouts

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This game will do a world of good in the long run. The Huskies won a tough game on the road against a very talented team. While I’m sure they’re happy to have won the game, they now know that they’re also vulnerable, and that will give them a laser focus for the rest of the season.
They found out they were vulnerable during the ND game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
2 other things I forgot to mention...

First, total armchair QB - if you are going to have Gabby play out at the top of the key and the top of the 3 point line, she MUST be a threat to shoot from out there. I get that she's quick enough to get past any post defender who comes out to guard her, but Texas sagged into the post and UCONN continued to run the offense thru her instead of thru Crystal and Kia (to my untrained eye). Maybe they were so tight on the 2 guards that Geno wanted a little room to maneuver and them sagging off Gabby gave us that room.

Second - the amount of 1 on 1 play from UCONN was astounding tonight. 12 assists on 26 made baskets (I get that some were O-board put backs) - but for LONG stretches of the game, we looked like every other team out there that we've so frequently complained about - a few dribbles by the guards, then all one on one takes to the basket. Where was the motion offense? Where was the movement without the ball? It's quite possible that Texas took all that away from us, but again, I only watched the game once, and that's what I saw...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Napheesa did not play a great game tonight. She has difficulty getting good shot attempts down low like she usually does. She misses more when she does get them. However, she did nail an important 3 point shot late in the game. The team needs Napheesa to be able to score double digit points and shoot a good percentage against the Elite teams.

I think Megan might have been able to provide some good minutes tonight when Napheesa has to sit due to foul trouble. But it did make sense on the offensive end to bring Stevens in for her offense as she's able to get to the basket against anyone. She does suffer defensive lapses and gives up easy baskets.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
2 other things I forgot to mention...

First, total armchair QB - if you are going to have Gabby play out at the top of the key and the top of the 3 point line, she MUST be a threat to shoot from out there. I get that she's quick enough to get past any post defender who comes out to guard her, but Texas sagged into the post and UCONN continued to run the offense thru her instead of thru Crystal and Kia (to my untrained eye). Maybe they were so tight on the 2 guards that Geno wanted a little room to maneuver and them sagging off Gabby gave us that room.

Second - the amount of 1 on 1 play from UCONN was astounding tonight. 12 assists on 26 made baskets (I get that some were O-board put backs) - but for LONG stretches of the game, we looked like every other team out there that we've so frequently complained about - a few dribbles by the guards, then all one on one takes to the basket. Where was the motion offense? Where was the movement without the ball? It's quite possible that Texas took all that away from us, but again, I only watched the game once, and that's what I saw...
I concur completely. It struck me during the game today that one of the things that made the 2016 team perhaps the best ever (the only other team in the conversation is the 2002 team IMO) was the fact that all 5 starters (Stewie, Tuck, Mo, Kia, Lou) were credible threats from 3-point range. This team has maybe 3-and-a-half threats out of 5.

The preponderance of one-on-one play was a result of the lack of offensive flow that I mentioned in another post. This is, in my mind, the greatest problem of all. Did Mississippi State give other teams a "book" on how to disrupt UConn's offense? I don't have the answer to that, and I don't know how to fix it. But it sure does make a fella wonder...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Give Texas credit for disrupting the cuts and playing pretty good defense.

Sure would be nice to have a big body to set some wicked screens. Where's Dolson or Tuck when you need them. I said in another thread that Natalie Butler played 26 minutes in last year's Texas game and played a huge role in winning that game. She set some wicked screens to help her teammates get open.

UConn's most physical players are 5-11 and 6-0. It's no secret how to give this UConn team a tough game.

Reaction Score
Give Texas credit for disrupting the cuts and playing pretty good defense.

Sure would be nice to have a big body to set some wicked screens. Where's Dolson or Tuck when you need them. I said in another thread that Natalie Butler played 26 minutes in last year's Texas game and played a huge role in winning that game. She set some wicked screens to help her teammates get open.

UConn's most physical players are 5-11 and 6-0. It's no secret how to give this UConn team a tough game.
You’re right, it’s no secret to the good coaches. UConn usually has a lot of assists because most teams let them run their offense like it’s a walk- thru. Get up in their face and overplay the passing lanes and force them to make difficult passes and they’ll start to rattle and hurry shots. But most teams don’t have the guts or talent level to do it for 40 minutes. Miss. St. will, and I don’t think Auriemma is real anxious to see them again in the tournament.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
They found out they were vulnerable during the ND game.

Maybe now they believe it. There are several teams with the talent to beat UCONN. In addition to ND and Texas, there is U of So Caro, Miss St, Baylor, Louisville, and , yeah, even Tenn. Oh! Maybe a rough playing Missouri on a night when the refs swallow their whistles. See Dawn Staley about that. I hope Geno is sincere about developing another rotation player or two. It is time for positive reinforcement of the freshmen. When he believes he does not need the frosh, the development does not seem to be there like when he has no choice but to play a frosh or two. The frosh benefit greatly from playing the game for more than 2-4 minutes. Would Dangerfield be a starter this year if Geno didn't have to play her last year? See these freshmen years - Gabby 16 mpg, Kia 25 mpg, Lou 24 mpg, and Phee 17 mpg. Were they better than Walker, Coombs, and Gordon? Yeah, may be because they played meaningful minutes. When Walker gets to play more than 10 min. she seems to do well. Give Coombs a shot. Maybe Gordon isn't that bad. Referencing Ekmark not playing her senior year of high school, I remember Geno saying nothing takes the place of playing games. So let the frosh play games. There is no excuse since UCONN now plays the 11 weak sisters of the AAC. There is plenty of playing time. Maybe AEH leaving will shake things up a bit. Maybe CD, Shea, and Marisa can get him to relent and ease up. The NCAA comes around quickly. Six player rotation didn't do it last year and I don't believe it will do it this year. Even the Marines know you build a kid up after tearing him down. You don't continue to tear down. The heretic has spoken. :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom