UConn vs Tennessee - see you in a couple years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Tennessee - see you in a couple years

Reaction Score
Tara has been ducking us. Losing her 6'7" center (Lauren Betts) to the portal (UCLA) doesn't help either. Some coaches like to not only build their team's confidence during the preseason portion of their schedule but also get them in the habit of winning and EXPECTING to win. If you suffer a crippling 30-40 point loss, it can destroy everything you've built to that moment, and cause you to go back to square one. :eek:

If I were a coach, I don't think I could find any silver linings in getting the crap beat out of my team. I can certainly understand why some coaches would duck or are ducking UConn. You may see it differently, but I don't see what can be learned from a blowout loss. :confused: The team's confidence is destroyed if nothing else, and their egos are deflated just a bit.

So.....why schedule a UConn when you know that very thing is most likely to happen? Especially if you know your team has a zero chance of winning. :oops: Other than using that game for recruiting purposes, or to fill your arena ($$$ - UConn still draws large crowds on the road), why do it?

We don't like Kim's philosophy and practice of scheduling the weakest preseason schedule she possibly can, but she does not care what we think. It works for her, and you can bet she'll continue to do it as long as it does. There are plenty of other teams that can be scheduled without playing UConn, especially next season when they expect to have their entire roster back, healthy, and raring to go.

I like the idea of playing some new teams in the preseason that we have either not played before or in a long time. Since the BIG East has reduced the number of conference games from 20 to 18, that means Geno can schedule two more preseason games. Whoo hoo. :)

Besides dukes former coach, can someone show me where a coach has said they are “ducking” UConn?? Or they hate uconn!!??

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I don't mind not playing them even though we would have had them home this year. Of all the teams that we play, my anxiety level is the highest just before we play them. I want to beat them so bad, just reading what they say about us, and the thinking that they will kill us. I don't need that, but would rather play someone new, someone who is on their way up and wants to enter the "Big Boy" arena. Any PAC12 or BIG team will due, and I don't care where we play them. Tennessee is through, no recruits coming in for years with the portal their only friend. We don't need to waste our time with Tennessee, so let move on and not worry about playing them anymore. There are some newer exciting teams out there that need to know who is boss, and that we must focus on extending Geno and UConns legacy to other parts of the country. On to bigger and better teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
November 4 Tennessee vs UConn in football.
That’s a measuring stick game for us.

As to scheduling the Lady Vols, I shrug. If it happens in any given year, it’s fine if it doesn’t in any given year, it’s also fine. But it’s probably better for everyone not to pretend that it is the rivalry it once was. It pales by comparison.

Reaction Score
They did what they did, 15 years ago, and remnants of that despicable episode remain. Geno had it exactly right when Holly gave him a bottle of wine and said she hoped the series could resume. But Holly Warlick was at Pat’s side 15 years ago and common sense says she was aware of what was simmering…nothing less than a bogus series of charges attacking Maya Moore, her mother, UConn alumi, Geno, Sue and Dee, and excited fans with homemade signs. Geno said no to Holly and Tennessee until an apology came. IMO, Pat’s decline and passing softened resolves and charity and ratings sealed the deal. The recent games have served their purpose. Kellie got TV, $, and fannies in the seats. And UConn could easily have reaped as much benefit from playing any number of other schools. Which we will now do.

The righteous fires of yesteryear have died down. Tennessee‘s wbb is now irrelevant to UConn unless it’s post season. The LVs may flounder all the way to LA Tech status, or aspire to equal the achievements of the mighty, mighty, Gamecocks ! Doesn’t’ matter now.
What was born in 1995, died in 2007. UConn goes on and Rocky Top is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom