UConn vs. Temple Owls (Saturday 10/5/24 @3:30p @Rentschler Field). Game on CBSSN. Audio on Varsity Network/FoxSports 97.9 FM | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Temple Owls (Saturday 10/5/24 @3:30p @Rentschler Field). Game on CBSSN. Audio on Varsity Network/FoxSports 97.9 FM

Reaction Score
"old guy" looking ahead forecast is for morning showers, should clear by afternoon. If so, hoping 30,000 fans will attend and support the team. It seems they have put in the effort to improve. Perhaps the fans can put in the effort to show-up and really indicate that football at UConn is climbing it's way back up the ladder to success and respect. Maybe wishful thinking by the "old guy" as the end of the conveyor belts nears. so Listen, listen, some of those who post have reason not to yet believe it is worth making the trip. I can understand that. But you matter to the success of the program. The crowd at basketball matters to their success. Proudly YOU can make a difference by attending this game and getting them ready to take on WF with a victory over Temple. As a 74 year fan, I say GO HUSKIES! BEAT TEMPLE! Love your posts..Thanks for putting up with the "old guy".

Reaction Score
Temple Scouting Report

(L) @ #16 Oklahoma 51-3
(L) @ Navy 38-11
(L) vs Coastal Car 28-20
(W) vs Utah State 45-29
(L) vs Army 42-14

RATINGS:
Teams​
Massey​
Sagarin​
ESPN​
UConn95 (+12)88 (+17)67 (+16)
Temple123153130
Army657571
Buffalo108141114
Utah State120122124

TEAM RANKS:
Stat​
UConn​
Temple​
Army​
Buffalo​
Total Offense4210826132
Passing9270133128
Rushing91221110
Total Defense62891087
Passing61 (TIE)117161 (TIE)
Rushing761281100

Offense:
  • Temple, to put it lightly, has an anemic run game. They had -5 (NEGATIVE FIVE) yards rushing against army. This was on 22 carries. 15 of those carries were QB scrambles.
  • QB Controversy. Temple started the year with #11 FOREST BROCK but switched to #12 EVAN SIMON. Stats-wise Simon has been the better QB. Bock had a QBR of 6 and 26 against Oklahoma and Navy. Whereas Simon has had QBRs of (37 Coastal Car, 80 USU, and 24 Army). Both are pocket passers.
  • Simon is a RS JR, transfer from Rutgers. He has a 9 to 1 TD to INT ratio and 220+ yards a game. Pretty decent arm strength and accuracy.
  • Pass heavy offense. 60% of their plays will be passing. In the Army, they switch to passing almost exclusively. Though they were behind most of the game.
  • The only real threat on offense is WR #5 Dante Wright. A fifth-year senior averaging 13 yards per reception. 34 total receptions for the year. He's their Cam Ross. Against USU, Wright had a 91-yard reception. Kid has speed and good wiggle to escape tackles.
  • No other WR on Temple has more than 100 yards on the season.
  • The starting RB #31 ANTWAIN LITTLETON only has 151 yards on the season.
  • O-line. Not sure how but, Temple's o-line grades out decently. Yet they already give up 17 sacks on the year. Army had 7 sacks and 7 TFL against this line. Weakest scoring members of the line is center GRAYSON MAINS, RS SO transfer from South Carolina. Followed by LT RS FR KEVIN TERRY.
  • Their best offensive weapon might be their kicker. He's 2/3 with 50+ yards, including a 63-yard one against army.
Defense:
  • Temple plays a base 4-3, but against run heavy teams like Navy/Army, they switch to a 5-2 or 5-3. Even with the extra man or two in the box, Army had 417 yards on the ground. Navy had 297 rushing yards.
  • Biggest strength is their LB corp. MLB SR #0 DJ WOODBURY already has 30 solo tackles for the year. 48 total. OLB RS JR #10 TYQUAN KING (from West Haven, CT) has 38 tackles. These two account for a quarter of the Temple's total tackles.
  • Temple doesn't seem to blitz much, and if they do, they rarely get home. Only 6 sacks on the year. Most of the extra blitzers will come from the LB positions.
My Takes:
  • This is a bad fundamentals team. Especially on defense. They routinely miss tackles and take bad angles. DBs love to just throw their bodies at people.
  • DL was a sieve against Army. I saw no gap discipline, no exterior containment. Reminder, Temple used a five-man front. Our stable of shifty, quick RBs should have huge days.
  • I think Simon is probably one of the best passing QBs we face all year. To be fair, we have and we're going to face a lot of bad ones. Our secondary need to be ready. But double cover Wright and we should be good.
  • Simon will try to extend plays with his feet, but his strong preference is to throw on the run. His favorite target while scrambling will be Wright. Some DB needs to keep on Wright at all times.
  • Temple employs a lot of spread and bunch formations. Good communication among the secondary will be key on defense.
  • In the red zone, Wright will be used as a decoy to free up TE #84 true FR DANIEL EVERT from Germany. Kid is a prototypical 6'5", 245LB pass-catching TE. Looks like he has good hands too.
  • Most of Temple's TDs came against broken plays. Temple's second TD against Army came when Army went with an all-out safety blitz. With Simon's arm and Wright's speed, Temple does have some explosion in them.
Predictions:
  • Temple doesn't have the horses to keep up with us. Their porous defense will be reminiscent of our worst years. 54-10 good guys.
  • 3 RBs over 100+ yards
  • 5 rushing TDs from our RBs
  • 2 INTs from our secondary

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
"old guy" looking ahead forecast is for morning showers, should clear by afternoon ... As a 74 year fan, I say GO HUSKIES! BEAT TEMPLE! Love your posts..Thanks for putting up with the "old guy".
Out of curiousity, why do you keep referring to yourself as "old guy". Yes, you're up there in age, but it's not as if you're ancient and your posts make you less of a fan for it. Keep on trucking mate!

On a completely random tangent, I got an alumni e-mail this morning about the ribbon cutting of the new dorms and saw Radenka Maric's hair then thought how awesome would it be if she dyed blue and white if we have a successful football season. Imagine what a great pic that would make of her standing side by side with Dale (Blue/White Guy) at a bowl game.

Reaction Score
Since we’ve gone from we suck to 9 wins and bowling in a month …..

Just keep in mind they’ve played much better competition than we have, with opponents having only 2 losses combined, I think.

We had games to bounce back from md; they’ve really not. I expect a win, but let’s not conclude that at 1-4 they’re a gimme.

Reaction Score
Temple Scouting Report

(L) @ #16 Oklahoma 51-3
(L) @ Navy 38-11
(L) vs Coastal Car 28-20
(W) vs Utah State 45-29
(L) vs Army 42-14

RATINGS:
Teams​
Massey​
Sagarin​
ESPN​
UConn95 (+12)88 (+17)67 (+16)
Temple123153130
Army657571
Buffalo108141114
Utah State120122124

TEAM RANKS:
Stat​
UConn​
Temple​
Army​
Buffalo​
Total Offense4210826132
Passing9270133128
Rushing91221110
Total Defense62891087
Passing61 (TIE)117161 (TIE)
Rushing761281100

Offense:
  • Temple, to put it lightly, has an anemic run game. They had -5 (NEGATIVE FIVE) yards rushing against army. This was on 22 carries. 15 of those carries were QB scrambles.
  • QB Controversy. Temple started the year with #11 FOREST BROCK but switched to #12 EVAN SIMON. Stats-wise Simon has been the better QB. Bock had a QBR of 6 and 26 against Oklahoma and Navy. Whereas Simon has had QBRs of (37 Coastal Car, 80 USU, and 24 Army). Both are pocket passers.
  • Simon is a RS JR, transfer from Rutgers. He has a 9 to 1 TD to INT ratio and 220+ yards a game. Pretty decent arm strength and accuracy.
  • Pass heavy offense. 60% of their plays will be passing. In the Army, they switch to passing almost exclusively. Though they were behind most of the game.
  • The only real threat on offense is WR #5 Dante Wright. A fifth-year senior averaging 13 yards per reception. 34 total receptions for the year. He's their Cam Ross. Against USU, Wright had a 91-yard reception. Kid has speed and good wiggle to escape tackles.
  • No other WR on Temple has more than 100 yards on the season.
  • The starting RB #31 ANTWAIN LITTLETON only has 151 yards on the season.
  • O-line. Not sure how but, Temple's o-line grades out decently. Yet they already give up 17 sacks on the year. Army had 7 sacks and 7 TFL against this line. Weakest scoring members of the line is center GRAYSON MAINS, RS SO transfer from South Carolina. Followed by LT RS FR KEVIN TERRY.
  • Their best offensive weapon might be their kicker. He's 2/3 with 50+ yards, including a 63-yard one against army.
Defense:
  • Temple plays a base 4-3, but against run heavy teams like Navy/Army, they switch to a 5-2 or 5-3. Even with the extra man or two in the box, Army had 417 yards on the ground. Navy had 297 rushing yards.
  • Biggest strength is their LB corp. MLB SR #0 DJ WOODBURY already has 30 solo tackles for the year. 48 total. OLB RS JR #10 TYQUAN KING (from West Haven, CT) has 38 tackles. These two account for a quarter of the Temple's total tackles.
  • Temple doesn't seem to blitz much, and if they do, they rarely get home. Only 6 sacks on the year. Most of the extra blitzers will come from the LB positions.
My Takes:
  • This is a bad fundamentals team. Especially on defense. They routinely miss tackles and take bad angles. DBs love to just throw their bodies at people.
  • DL was a sieve against Army. I saw no gap discipline, no exterior containment. Reminder, Temple used a five-man front. Our stable of shifty, quick RBs should have huge days.
  • I think Simon is probably one of the best passing QBs we face all year. To be fair, we have and we're going to face a lot of bad ones. Our secondary need to be ready. But double cover Wright and we should be good.
  • Simon will try to extend plays with his feet, but his strong preference is to throw on the run. His favorite target while scrambling will be Wright. Some DB needs to keep on Wright at all times.
  • Temple employs a lot of spread and bunch formations. Good communication among the secondary will be key on defense.
  • In the red zone, Wright will be used as a decoy to free up TE #84 true FR DANIEL EVERT from Germany. Kid is a prototypical 6'5", 245LB pass-catching TE. Looks like he has good hands too.
  • Most of Temple's TDs came against broken plays. Temple's second TD against Army came when Army went with an all-out safety blitz. With Simon's arm and Wright's speed, Temple does have some explosion in them.
Predictions:
  • Temple doesn't have the horses to keep up with us. Their porous defense will be reminiscent of our worst years. 54-10 good guys.
  • 3 RBs over 100+ yards
  • 5 rushing TDs from our RBs
  • 2 INTs from our secondary
Another great job!

Reaction Score

Just keep in mind they’ve played much better competition than we have, with opponents having only 2 losses combined, I think.

We had games to bounce back from md; they’ve really not. I expect a win, but let’s not conclude that at 1-4 they’re a gimme.
So true. They may be better than we think. But let's hope Rentschler field is covered in Owl feathers (again) when the game is over.

Reaction Score

We said that about Buffalo beating NIU.
But we could have a stinker.

Reaction Score
College football is a weird game. Teams put up stinkers all the time, so it wouldn’t shock me if this game is closer than we hope.

But on paper I think we’re a much better team. They’re giving up 260 yards rushing per game and 6 yards/carry through 5 games which bodes very well for us.

Reaction Score
I am thankful no one here (myself included) is a coach - we as fans have the tendency to get too down or too up based on the results of a given week. I do it too.

you never look past an opponent, even if the stats tell you to. you have no idea ultimately who you're about to face, even with film available. great points were made about Temple's schedule vs. ours, so far. We may very well win by a lot, but I for one, am very much still on edge about our team. 3 wins against (mostly) weakkkkkk competition don't change what we've been in recent history. and a win against temple won't change that either.

one week at a time.

Reaction Score
I am thankful no one here (myself included) is a coach - we as fans have the tendency to get too down or too up based on the results of a given week. I do it too.

you never look past an opponent, even if the stats tell you to. you have no idea ultimately who you're about to face, even with film available. great points were made about Temple's schedule vs. ours, so far. We may very well win by a lot, but I for one, am very much still on edge about our team. 3 wins against (mostly) weakkkkkk competition don't change what we've been in recent history. and a win against temple won't change that either.

one week at a time.
Sorry I have to air you out but this is a tired take. Have you even watched a snap this season??? Night and day vs past years so it’s irrelevant to even mention that. This team is firing everyone is locked in and the changes at coordinators have made a huge difference.

Reaction Score
So true. They may be better than we think. But let's hope Rentschler field is covered in Owl feathers (again) when the game is over.
I don’t have much doubt that they’re pretty bad. While we’ve looked really impressive in 4 of the 5 games in going 3-2, let’s realize that Temple would have had a chance to be 3-2 against our schedule.

I expect us to cover, but I don’t see a blowout like our prior three wins.

Reaction Score
I don’t have much doubt that they’re pretty bad. While we’ve looked really impressive in 4 of the 5 games in going 3-2, let’s realize that Temple would have had a chance to be 3-2 against our schedule.

I expect us to cover, but I don’t see a blowout like our prior three wins.
Agreed, likely not a blowout this time. There is a distinct possibilty they could even win if their passing game clicks and we don't perform at the same level as the last two weeks. What a come down that would be from the cloud many of us are on right now! Hopefully the coaches keep our guys focused and intense and we prevail 31-17 ish.

Reaction Score
Out of curiousity, why do you keep referring to yourself as "old guy". Yes, you're up there in age, but it's not as if you're ancient and your posts make you less of a fan for it. Keep on trucking mate!

On a completely random tangent, I got an alumni e-mail this morning about the ribbon cutting of the new dorms and saw Radenka Maric's hair then thought how awesome would it be if she dyed blue and white if we have a successful football season. Imagine what a great pic that would make of her standing side by side with Dale (Blue/White Guy) at a bowl game.
Thank You. Being 85 seems like an "old guy"!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom