UConn vs. Temple Game Thread! | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Temple Game Thread!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Didn't she get bumped off the Wooden list for Gabby?
Yeah. And if those people who made the list took a little time to stop patting themselves on the back they'd add Pheesa who is clearly a candidate.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Watching the replay.

I note that Kia's not getting any uglier. She represents the university well. :cool:
I'm glad you've said it and said it well, because it has been on my mind the last two games. Now, I'm one of those guys who loves a woman's eyes. Sorry, but they're such windows into personalities. If this offends anyone I'll apologize now. To me Kia's nature has always been forceful, but her eyes have always seemed to me playful, intelligent, and soft. Just beautiful.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Pretty impressive!
NC Shot Chart.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Pretty impressive!
View attachment 20029

A little help here......................Are the All-American selections made for "regular season" performances only, or do they take into consideration post-season play as well?
You can probably figure out why I'm asking.

Reaction Score
Oh got the trivia wrong, Maya was the fastest to 1000, could have sworn Stewie broke that record
Stewie was surrounded by scorers and sat out a lot of third quarters, Maya had to score the way she did.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tonight at the end of the 1st half, I said to myself that was one ugly half of basketball with no consistent flow of the offense. Then I looked at the score again and saw 41 points. Must not have been as bad as I thought. Sure there were individual possessions that were out of sync, missed shots but on the whole it must have been pretty good after all. Team Defense was spot on limiting Temple to 19 points and with the TO's led to easy baskets.

Like many I thought the Temple Guards would give the team trouble as they were playing so well as of late. However they didn't get many open looks in the 1st half and when their shots weren't falling seems like they may have thought here we go again. I'm sure Tonya told her team at half time, we'll get them in the 2nd half like we did at home. But then UConn went on thhe 8-0 run and all hopes of a comeback was over. Temple was limited to 10 points in the 3rd quarter, while UConn scored 25.

Did any1 notice that Tulane lost to UCF 56-51 tonight. Probably with this loss Tulane has lost their opportunity to get into the tournament. Don't think if UCF finishes fourth in the conference, they have enough quality wins to get into the tournament.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Who paid the ransom? This team was NOT the team that played Saturday in New Orleans. Those were imposters. Who paid the ransom? This is the team we're use to seeing. Someone must have kidnapped the entire team, cause this is not the team we saw Saturday, not even close. I don't know if it was the flight, the hotel beds, the food, the warm air, or what. Something in the Crescent City did not agree with our girls.
I'm glad whatever it was, they left it there. The team looked like their old selves tonight. I thought Temple would put up more of a fight than they did. UConn came out early, put their foot across their throat, and kept it there. There's something to be said about "home cooking".

What has gotten into Collier? 92% from the field tonight. Another double-double. OMG!! The interesting thing about what she's doing is that she's making it look easy. Whatever she's eating, she needs to share it with the rest of the team. She was phenomenal tonight. It's hard to believe that she's got two more years to play, and hone her skills. She's only going to get better. She missed one shot tonight. How can you improve on that? I know, shoot 100%. Who does that? I wonder if Collier has any younger sisters that play basketball?

Geno was asked recently on his TV show if he was surprised she could be this good, he said no, not at all. Geno is an excellent evaluator of talent, and can recognize potential talent when he sees it. I know it's way too early to talk about life after UConn, but I think it's safe to say that Collier will enjoy a long and pro$perou$ career in professional basketball after graduation. She'll be a highly sought after player in the W, and overseas.

Tip in - Saturday's game against Memphis (13-14/6-8) should not be over looked, but don't look for them to be very competitive. They could not break 40 points against SMU tonight. They scored in single digits in two of the four quarters tonight. They fell at home to SMU 60 - 39. If a game on UConn's schedule could be labeled a trap game, this is it. I'm feeling a lot better about the team after tonight's game, how about you? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I honestly thought she had more than 3 steals. I guess some were tips that her teammates picked up.

If the statistician does it correctly, those would normally be steals. The NCAA manual states that a tipped pass that goes to a teammate is a steal for the player who tips the pass. There is some judgement allowed if the deflection doesn't really change the path of the pass.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One of the many things I like about her is that when she makes a shot or does something really well, she is almost oblivious to it and has no reaction because she is already getting into the next play. A coach's dream.
If only the men would do that.

Reaction Score
Stewie was surrounded by scorers and sat out a lot of third quarters, Maya had to score the way she did.
Breanna averaged 13.8 per game in her Freshman year, Maya averaged 17.8. Breanna reached 1,000 points in her 63rd game, tying her with Svetlana Abrosimova. Maya reached 1,000 points in her 55th game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Carnac, Gabby shot 100% tonight and Collier did it earlier this season. By the way, I'm leaving all prophesying to you. Not only did Uconn not lose their first four games, they have not lost any of their first 27. I don't think even you prophesied that.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Strange game. UConn played well but it seems Temple did not play with any real fire especially on the defensive end. Hard to tell if we really turned it around 180. Still, nice to see our team having fun. No pouting:D

Tonight was the first time I saw Gabby smile in the last 3 games. It was nice to see her and the rest of the team smile and laugh. They looked like they were having fun out there tonight. I had fun watching them. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac, Gabby shot 100% tonight and Collier did it earlier this season. By the way, I'm leaving all prophesying to you. Not only did Uconn not lose their first four games, they have not lost any of their first 27. I don't think even you prophesied that.

donalddoowop said: Carnac, I'm leaving all prophesying to you. Carnac: Thank you. I remember the predictions you made concerning those 4 games. I did predict UConn would not go undefeated this year. I just did not know which game(s) they would lose. You're right. I did not see UConn enjoying this much success this late in the season. I don't remember any poster predicting the team being undefeated at this point in the season.
Most were predicting at least 2-3 losses. I predicted that no team would go undefeated this year. UConn is the only team to prove me wrong so far (and I hope they continue to do so).

No one saw Gabby or Napheesa having the year they are having. Only a very few die-hards held out any hope that UConn could win a natty this year. Most expressed they would be satisfied with a great 8 appearance. Now Most of us would be shocked if we don't win it all. We didn't realize how good this team was six months ago. The real scary thing is, next year's team is thought to be much better and deeper than this team. Ahhh yes, the rich get richer. I love it!!! Happy days are here again. :cool:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
donalddoowop said: Carnac, I'm leaving all prophesying to you. Carnac: Thank you. I remember the predictions you made concerning those 4 games. I did predict UConn would not go undefeated this year. I just did not know which game(s) they would lose. You're right. I did not see UConn enjoying this much success this late in the season. I don't remember any poster predicting the team being undefeated at this point in the season.
Most were predicting at least 2-3 losses. I predicted that no team would go undefeated this year. UConn is the only team to prove me wrong so far (and I hope they continue to do so).

No one saw Gabby or Napheesa having the year they are having. Only a very few die-hards held out any hope that UConn could win a natty this year. Most expressed they would be satisfied with a great 8 appearance. Now Most of us would be shocked if we don't win it all. We didn't realize how good this team was six months ago. The real scary thing is, next year's team is thought to be much better and deeper than this team. Ahhh yes, the rich get richer. I love it!!! Happy days are here again. :cool:

Well, I think shocked is too strong. Disappointed maybe but not shocked. If we are being objective, this team has been dodging bullets with our weak bench, potential fouling out and troubling injuries all year. It is clear as often stated by Geno that our margin has not been so thin for a long time.

Reaction Score
When the team is weight training what is butler doing? She is the weakest post player in wcbb history. She better enjoy whats left of this season because i see no playing time for her at all next year. I have no clue how she was freshman of the year in the bigeast?

Reaction Score
When the team is weight training what is butler doing? She is the weakest post player in wcbb history. She better enjoy whats left of this season because i see no playing time for her at all next year. I have no clue how she was freshman of the year in the bigeast?

Did you say that when she was banging against FSU, Baylor, Texas, SC? Probably not! Her play helped win those games. People need to stop bashing her.

Reaction Score
Did you say that when she was banging against FSU, Baylor, Texas, SC? Probably not! Her play helped win those games. People need to stop bashing her.
Because someone tells it like it is, thats bashing? She has no upper body strength and you don't need to be a genius to see that. I bet anything geno would say the same thing about her game. She should be much better after 4yrs of playing wcbb with 3yrs at uconn. How would you describe her game after 4yrs?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Because someone tells it like it is, thats bashing? She has no upper body strength and you don't need to be a genius to see that. I bet anything geno would say the same thing about her game. She should be much better after 4yrs of playing wcbb with 3yrs at uconn. How would you describe her game after 4yrs?
I would describe Natalie as having been poorly coached in her first two years in college. Geno has said he won't take JUCos because it takes two years for them to unlearn bad habits and Nat is, essentially, the same as a JUCO.

She brings the ball down after catching it or tries to dribble when she should just go back up. That's a bad habit from bad coaching. She tries to use her size instead of positioning for rebounds or defense. Ditto the coaching thing. Natalie got to UConn and had to unlearn the bad stuff and start learning some pretty fundamental things that even freshman Kyla, a coach's kid, knew a long time ago. You can SEE Natalie thinking too much out there sometimes but she's trying hard, really hard, much too hard to take potshots from fans.

Reaction Score
I must agree with you. It is very painful watching her play, and realizing Geno has no choice, but to play her. She has no hands, and I am not sure why they pass the ball to her on the post, it is a turn over most of the time. When she catches it on the low post, she turns away and puts the ball on the floor and is swarmed by smaller players. She has not progressed since she came to Uconn, and probably will be in for mop up next year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would describe Natalie as having been poorly coached in her first two years in college. Geno has said he won't take JUCos because it takes two years for them to unlearn bad habits and Nat is, essentially, the same as a JUCO.
Eh, that's not right. She was only at Georgetown 1 year. She has been at UCONN with UCONN coaching for almost 3 years now. I think she is pretty much what she's gonna be. Which is alright. Some people just had much higher expectations than they probably should have. People were talking about another Dolson, I personally would be happy with another JMoore. Not sure she'll make that. But she can do some stuff here and there and fill in a bit, and that's fine.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Eh, that's not right. She was only at Georgetown 1 year. She has been at UCONN with UCONN coaching for almost 3 years now. I think she is pretty much what she's gonna be. Which is alright. Some people just had much higher expectations than they probably should have. People were talking about another Dolson, I personally would be happy with another JMoore. Not sure she'll make that. But she can do some stuff here and there and fill in a bit, and that's fine.

As much as I now reluctantly tend to agree with you, many here, myself included, were sure Saniya had plateaued, injury or no last year. So, now, happily proven wrong, I withhold judgment on where players' ceiling are.

Reaction Score
My mother told me if I have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all . I adhere to that with players, some of the boneyarders I bite my tongue a Little .harder

Reaction Score
Natalie is not at her best against teams like Temple. In my view, her value is evident in
games against teams with big post players like Baylor, Texas, South Carolina, or
Maryland. She can bang with those guys and move them away from where they want
to be.

I suspect the coaches are concentrating on her defensive play. Any offense they
get from Natalie would be gravy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member