UConn vs. Syracuse post game - on to the sweet 16! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Syracuse post game - on to the sweet 16!

Reaction Score
Without much of a post presence, Paige's mid-range daggers and clutch rebounding carried the day. Our two freshmen showed serious heart and composure. This was a great game to get behind us.

Amazed at the flopping by both sides without warnings by the refs. For much of the second half Syr only had 3 fouls. We needed to drive more to get to the line late in this game. We played six players and two didn't score. This needs to change or the future will be a challenge.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Without much of a post presence, Paige's mid-range daggers and clutch rebounding carried the day. Our two freshmen showed serious heart and composure. This was a great game to get behind us.

Amazed at the flopping by both sides without warnings by the refs. For much of the second half Syr only had 3 fouls. We needed to drive more to get to the line late in this game. We played six players and two didn't score. This needs to change or the future will be a challenge.
They are in the round of sixteen...change or not the future will be a challenge.

Reaction Score
Im a member of the Aaliyah“the ultimate warrior” Edwards fan club, so understand, this is not meant a criticism. Aaliyah was not herself tonight. She was involved in a couple of brutal collisions in the beginning of the game and I wonder if she played the whole game with some sort of injury, other than her nose. I’m just hoping she’s okay.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The most impressive part of KK's game clincher wasn't that she made it. It was that she had the confidence to take it. Not your typical freshman!!
With the kind of game she was having, when she started to shoot that last shot, I yelled no! She had been hurting UConn. Of course, I am glad it went in.

Reaction Score
Nika Nika Nika. Last two fouls not very good. I feel Nika needs saving from herself. More mental than physical. Use Q and Ice to give her quick breathers to regroup. I hate that her terrific defense gets overshadowed by fouling out.

Aaliyah and Ice have so much pressure on their shoulders as smaller PF, tying to man the glass and be paint eaters with only 10 fouls to give between the two of them but yet they still, have to figure out, how to enforce their will for us to move on.

Paige is an exceptional condition athlete. I see a lot of players who play high minutes but Paige never looks worn down and she is always flying around. Her defense after Nika fouled was shut down and her rebounding elevated as well. My New Nick name for her is "Ms Everything"

Let's Go UCONN!!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I may get sworn at, but it looked to me that a lot of time Ice didn't seem comfortable with the ball in her hands. But she was working her behind off!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I see several complaints about Syracuse's rough style of play. But I was impressed by their perserverance. UCONN is notorious for taking the spirit out of teams with extended scoring runs, especially at home. But Syracuse refused to be demoralized and kept coming back. Kudos the the Orange & their classy coach.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some thoughts:

-Paige can get herself open around the foul line and
score on virtually any play...really a different player
then say Clarke.

-She was also tough defensively on Fair at the end.

-We're going to see plenty of these one-on-one
scorers as we advance...Surely it's an important
area of concentration.

-Ice was on the verge of losing her composure at the
end...I would have put in another guard...But what
do I know?

-Ash has had a couple of good games in a row...very
helpful for the team...,How's that for an
understatement. And reliable on D and the boards.

-KK had some of her patterned drives where she
might have passed and then others where she might
have shot, but boy that 3 at the end was timely.

Reaction Score
Despite Burrows & Woolley being hot with nine 3-pointers, Fair tried to win the game by herself and took wild, desperate shots.
Not to brag, but I do believe I mentioned in one thread how Fair has a tendency to play hero ball when it's late and the game is close (with varying success). With a lot of driving into the crowded paint and chucking up shots. :D

Maybe next time I'll give Coach Geno a call and save him some scouting time.

Reaction Score
UConn did more than enough to cough that lead up on their own, but my god, that was a breathtaking display of bad officiating.

From the lengthy review on Paige’s incidental contact, to the review when Edwards clearly tipped it out, followed by the ridiculous shooting foul called on Paige when Fair flailed into her - the refs were making wild guesses down the stretch this one.

They continue to do a disservice to women’s basketball with their incompetence.

Reaction Score
I really want Ice to do well, and I think she has skills and can contribute, but I think she would do better being less deliberate and just making quick decisions to shoot. Especially with sitting out a year rehabbing, she should know the offense a little. She can shoot the ball, so when she gets it, just let it fly. She will have to work on rebounding- after all, she is 6'3. But her touch around the basket just isn't there, and this surprises me. Maybe it was just an off night as lately she has had some good games. She did show quicker feet on defense tonight which is good, and there was one rebound where she really leaped for the ball and grabbed it, which is encouraging.

Reaction Score
UConn did more than enough to cough that lead up on their own, but my god, that was a breathtaking display of bad officiating.

From the lengthy review on Paige’s incidental contact, to the review when Edwards clearly tipped it out, followed by the ridiculous shooting foul called on Paige when Fair flailed into her - the refs were making wild guesses down the stretch this one.

They continue to do a disservice to women’s basketball with their incompetence.
As bad as the refs Are in the men’s game….and they are bad. The refs
In the women’s game are much much worse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom