UConn vs Syracuse Analysis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Syracuse Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Syracuse's loss to Temple early in the season was not a good loss, but they have recenty beaten Georgetown by 30 and DePaul by 4 on a night when they were "out-statted". In years past, trying to outrun UConn was a fool's errand. This year's Syracuse team may be able to stay as close as they did 5 years ago, albeit the result of a total lackluster performance by UConn in that game.

1. It is good to see Syracuse break into the Top 25 and carry their winning ways a a few games into the Big East schedule. Maybe this year, they can avoid geting passed over by the Selection Committee.

I'm on the other end of this one. I hope they lose most games and don't make any post season event. There is no big east after this year, it's something else. I'm rooting like UConn is independant.

2. I have not seen DePaul, so have no idea what kind of defense they play. Georgetown, though, tries to get after you and it did not affect the Orange too adversely as they only committed 15 turnovers.

And neither team is UConn. Depaul scored 80 against SU. I don't think any games on SU's scheudle tells us much how they will do against UConn.

3. The Orange backcourt may have the type of speed and quickness that has presented problems for Caroline Doty. Pre game, that matchup is a push that could easily go Syracuse's way given Doty's balky knee.

Doty's defense is better than some think. And I'm not sure how quick the SU backcourt really is. Haven't seen them enough. A freshman averaging 3 points a game is going to be a push for a Senior who is strong, smarter and I'm guessing here, more intense?

4. Dolson vs Alexander? Dolson might be a better player looking at an unfavorable matchup. However, UConn's team defense may be able to offset that. As noted, Alexander's assists stats are not impressive; She either does not pass well out of the low post or is not asked to pass. No one faulted Kareem for not passing the ball late in his career.
24 points, 17 rebounds against DePaul cannot be overlooked. This matchup is, likely, a push also.

It could be a push, but Dolson is a unique defensive problem for big centers, who don't like to defend away from the basket. SU has NO ONE to guard the two bigs if they are on the court with Stewart or Stokes playing with Dolson. Alexander will have her hands full. You are really comparing Kareem to Alexander in any way??? Come on...lol.

5. UConn has yet to find their stride. If they do not find it Saturday, the game could be close. A much better team never wants to find itself in a close game. The overmatched opponent is playing loose with nothing to lose and everything to gain. UConn will, likely, attempt the rattle Syracuse's young backcourt early. If successful, this game could be over early. Thing is freshman, these days are challenging the boundaries of conventional wisdom.

Yeah, but even not finding their stride they are 15-1, the overall best offensive and defensive team in the country. I'll agree that they can still improve, which is scary to the rest of the WCBB world. The odds of a close game are very small. Microscopic.

6. Psychologically, Syracuse only has to play well against UConn to come out feeling good. It is like running a marathon; Or like Rocky in the first fight(and possibly Stallone's last good movie, but let's not digress:) ).

Not sure why you care how SU comes out of this game.

I will, of course, be rooting for UConn, but sincerely hope Syracuse plays well and goes on to get a NCAA bid.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Where is the Boneyard meeting place? I know I've seen it in here before. My 11-year-old son will be with me for his second game ever. I'd like to show him the Boneyard contingent so that he'll have something to aspire to in life.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Where is the Boneyard meeting place? I know I've seen it in here before. My 11-year-old son will be with me for his second game ever. I'd like to show him the Boneyard contingent so that he'll have something to aspire to in life.

stress.jpg

Reaction Score
doggydaddy said:
3. The Orange backcourt may have the type of speed and quickness that has presented problems for Caroline Doty. Pre game, that matchup is a push that could easily go Syracuse's way given Doty's balky knee.
Doty's defense is better than some think. And I'm not sure how quick the SU backcourt really is. Haven't seen them enough. A freshman averaging 3 points a game is going to be a push for a Senior who is strong, smarter and I'm guessing here, more intense?
You might also be guessing on smarter.
The push call is based upon Doty's physical limitations and her past play agaisnt quicker, faster guards. She does not have to concern herself with Syracuse's guards outscoring her as much as she has to be concerned about Syracuse's guards limiting her offensive contributions, including leadership.
6. Psychologically, Syracuse only has to play well against UConn to come out feeling good. It is like running a marathon; Or like Rocky in the first fight(and possibly Stallone's last good movie, but let's not digress:) ).
At some point(maybe today or tomorrow if I find time), I might provide more details, but I make no bones about the fact, nor do I apologize for rooting for the success of black coaches whether it be Coach Hillsman, Coach Stringer, Coach Elliott, Coach Cardoza, Coach Caldwell, et al.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

comeon.gif

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Outside of section 118 near the dunkin' donuts.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
doggydaddy said:
You might also be guessing on smarter.
The push call is based upon Doty's physical limitations and her past play agaisnt quicker, faster guards. She does not have to concern herself with Syracuse's guards outscoring her as much as she has to be concerned about Syracuse's guards limiting her offensive contributions, including leadership.
At some point(maybe today or tomorrow if I find time), I might provide more details, but I make no bones about the fact, nor do I apologize for rooting for the success of black coaches whether it be Coach Hillsman, Coach Stringer, Coach Elliott, Coach Cardoza, Coach Caldwell, et al.

Boy, you lost me when you claimed that someone can limit someone elses leadership.

I don't think the Syracuse guards have the quickness you are talking about. Caroline is not there to score, but it doesn't appear that her PG counterpart does either. And you must not think much of Doty if you think a freshman in the first half of her career has equal basketball smarts as Doty.

Good for you for rooting for black coaches. I pull for all the jewish ones.

But Syracuse? I don't see color. Other than another team with ugly orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom