UCONN vs. St. John's Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. St. John's Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
So what she was 1-7 today. Stokes was 1-1 from the perimeter. Do we change her up too? MoJeff couldn't hit an outside shot to save her life early - so the answer would be for her to stop shooting from 3 too? How often can we go back on great scorers and see they've had games where they missed quite a bit?

I disagree with how you are looking at this - comepletely. She fades away more when she is inside not whne taking a perimeter jumper. When she is in the perimeter there is no fadeaway unless shot clock is winding down or a rare play.

And I disagree completely just to limit her game to 15 feet and in especially when we've seen her in many games - especially final four and finals her frosh year knock down 3 point bombs.
I remember when Larry Bird would throw up 30 shots and make 8,and yet,he became lights out,when he was on.Stewart is human,too,and some days they just do not fall.When she is on,though,like Bird,she can be lights out.
I sincerely doubt,that Geno will ever tell her,get within 15 feet,or,stop throwing up shots from three point land.In the end,the talented player,will find a way to be an impact on each game,and sometimes,be a raging fire,and can do no wrong,scoring.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
USC doesn't have the type of guards of quick that give us trouble. And we saw what we did vs Duke who was supposedly this supreme great rebounding team, right?

Anyhow - it may be close I just can't see us losing at home no matter the score. If we were at USC - then that would be different.
Gd analysis - I too would be surprised to lose at hm. Man- they do have a lot of talent.

Reaction Score
The officials in this game were a disgrace. They stopped calling anything on St Johns out of pity and they were allowed to bump and push every play. Made for an unwatchable game.

And of course they sent SJU to the free throw line for Stokes cleanly blocking them at the same time.
That is not what I saw sitting in the second row behind the announcers. The refs were a non factor.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This was a good game, as it was a "W." But it certainly wasn't artistic. Whether this matters at all is a matter of individual criteria, expectation, and opinion.

I don't care a whit about who scores or doesn't, as long as the job gets done. I am a little concerned however, about the missed free throws and bunnies. Kill those bunnies!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

I don't care a whit about who scores or doesn't, as long as the job gets done. I am a little concerned however, about the missed free throws and bunnies. Kill those bunnies!

"Kill da wabbits"

killthewabbit1.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
57 points, 18 rebounds, and 12 assists from ... the recruiting class of 2012. Damn, they are good!

Reaction Score
Jefferson improved immediately in her Soph season and, again, she can't do the types of things inside 15 feet that Stewart can. 34% is not all that good a percentage for someone taking a lot of threes and her % has flat-lined over 2-1/3 years.

I'm not calling for Stewart to shelve threes, just use her skills inside and off the cut more, especially when she has the size advantage she did today.

Why does it matter how quickly Jefferson improved season over-season when you were using statistics for one game with Stewart? And Jefferson can always take shots inside the 3pt line like we saw St Johns do today.

But .. anyhow .. I don't agree with the relevance of Stewie's "flatlining" because I expect it to improve over time. Again I'll mention Geno wouldn't let her go bombs away if he didn't think it was a good shot. Until I see Geno move in that direction I've got to believe she is taking good shots. Anyway- this season she is being asked to do more. Taurasi's 1st year as the main go to player her 3pt% dropped to 35% from prior year 44%. Renee Montgomery her 3pt% as a frosh was 33.6 as a frosh, then 31% her soph and jr years- so she flatlined- but then her sr year it rose to 38%.

If Kelly Faris can improve to be a good 3pt shooter - up to 41.5% then Stewie can improve by her senior year just like Monty did as well.

As far as-- if you aren't calling for Stewie to shelve the 3's then what is your complaint? Take away the Stanford game in which she shot 4-7 - and that we were so desperate - she is averaging 3 three point shots a game. Twelve games 37 3's. I don't agree her taking three 3's a game is "settling."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Why does it matter how quickly Jefferson improved season over-season when you were using statistics for one game with Stewart?

I'm not referring to just this one game. I think Stewart's shot selection leaves a bit to be desired generally. Maybe she has too many options, but in this particular game she had advantages inside that she didn't use as much as she could.

If Kelly Faris can improve to be a good 3pt shooter - up to 41.5% then Stewie can improve by her senior year just like Monty did as well.

As far as-- if you aren't calling for Stewie to shelve the 3's then what is your complaint? Take away the Stanford game in which she shot 4-7 - and that we were so desperate - she is averaging 3 three point shots a game. Twelve games 37 3's. I don't agree her taking three 3's a game is "settling."

I'm not referring to just threes but long-range shots in general. Faris didn't have the offensive options that Stewart has. Can Stewart theoretically improve her outside shot still? Sure, but if you're really good at closer range why mess with it at this point. She could be much more efficient and effective by using her other offensive skills more often rather than firing long-range shots. Rebecca Lobo was practically pleading for Stewart to use her skills in the middle of Duke's zone the other night rather than stay out on the perimeter.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not referring to just this one game. I think Stewart's shot selection leaves a bit to be desired generally. Maybe she has too many options, but in this particular game she had advantages inside that she didn't use as much as she could.

I'm not referring to just threes but long-range shots in general. Faris didn't have the offensive options that Stewart has. Can Stewart theoretically improve her outside shot still? Sure, but if you're really good at closer range why mess with it at this point. She could be much more efficient and effective by using her other offensive skills more often rather than firing long-range shots. Rebecca Lobo was practically pleading for Stewart to use her skills in the middle of Duke's zone the other night rather than stay out on the perimeter.

What was Geno pleading with Stewart to do ???

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Stewie has to take a number of outside jump shots to make people come out and guard her and get them out of paint-packing defenses. Against good zone defenses, anything she does in the paint will be swarmed and probably stopped until she demonstrates that she is a threat from outside.

Remember that shooting 34% from 3 is equivalent to shooting 50% from closer in, which is a pretty good percentage play -- even if you don't account for the fact that UConn gets a good percentage of the offensive rebounds from her misses.

Because of the height from which she releases her jump shots, very few defenders can stop the shot, so if she can get the aim right, it is nearly impossible to defend.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What was Geno pleading with Stewart to do ???

Don't know, but after the game he said she played terribly. He seemed to be more bothered by her TO's and lack off rebounding.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry I don't agree at all. I think Jpgh nailed it. And I don't think her shot selection leaves a lot to be desired. IMO Geno doesn't mind her taking outside shots at all. I watched the 1st half of the Duke game again and early on she was extremely active for example three passes to Tuck. One assists, one Tuck fumbled and one they passed it Stew in traffic and she touch-passed to Tuck inside. But IMO form what I see when they put her near the post and there is no "scramble" the defense collapses two/three players on her. That's why early in the 1st half Lewis was getting so many shots. She was able to get off 9 shots in the 1st half, wasn't she?

Secondly, once Stokes came in and the 2 minutes she played with Gabby then Tuck came in, Geno has Stewie on the wing. IMO there is no way Geno is discouraging her to not take shots from the outside as wing would do. Therefore when you say she should be playing 15 feet and in- imo that is practically impossible if Geno is having her play wing while Geno has stated he wants to push tempo. Essentially Geno is telling us he had confidence in Stewie taking outside shots otherwise he would have curtailed her wing play or would have done something more drastic. Such as criticize her shot selection. Until I hear it from him I've got to believe he sees the potential and believes her shooting will become much better like Monty for example. In fact you've even confirmed that indirectly - in a post you just made before when you mention Geno say Stewie "stunk." Then you mention or imply Geno was speaking of her turnovers and rebounding. ---- But not her shot selection. This imo this is telling me he wants her shooting from the outside not 15 feet and in. Thus the entire year you are going to be disappointed in her shot selection because Geno is comfortable with her outside shots - ofc until he pulls the plug. He might curtail it and then you would have nailed it. I don't think he will. I can;'t believe the ff was a fluke.

Third as it relates to number 2 and as the poster jpgh stated - when Stewie gets inside that paint - man- that defense collapses. When she is outside she can see over the defense and pass anywhere on the floor plus as jpg says she can shoot over anyone without 2/3 players hanging allover her/crowding her. PLUS imo it opens the lane vs when she gets inside the ball has a better chance to be being passed back out. Geno had mentioned that if he had Griner he would have pulled her out more. We see now in the WNBA she can knock down outside shots. He wouldn't have had her a wing but it goes with number 2- he wants Stewie and her teammates to have some room to operate as well and not just primarily pound the ball inside to Stewie and clogging up the lane.

Fourth- you speak of Lobo pleading with Stewart to get inside vs Duke? Where did you hear her say that? On the radio? When I replay the Duke game Doris Burke was doing it. Was Lobo on another channel? Not that it matters I often disagree with Rebecca and Doris and I find myself now frequently disagreeing with Meghan much more than I used to.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
IMO Geno doesn't mind her taking outside shots at all.

Geno has expressly talked about Stewart being more effective when she's in motion, moving without the ball. Stewart herself has brought this up a few times this year as well.

In fact you've even confirmed that indirectly - in a post you just made before when you mention Geno say Stewie "stunk." Then you mention or imply Geno was speaking of her turnovers and rebounding. ---- But not her shot selection. This imo this is telling me he wants her shooting from the outside not 15 feet and in.

I don't think that tells us much more than he was unhappy with her game that night, notably her rebounds and turnovers.

It may have been the UCLA game that Lobo called and not the Duke game. Regardless, I don't think Stewart clogs the lane by being in there. Next year there may be heavy traffic with Butler, Tuck, and Stewart, but right now there seems to be room. And I'm not limiting my point to posting up in the paint. She killed ND in the title game by finishing passes off cuts. I think she limits herself when she goes on these runs of shooting long jumpers.

Reaction Score
Geno has expressly talked about Stewart being more effective when she's in motion, moving without the ball. Stewart herself has brought this up a few times this year as well.

I don't think that tells us much more than he was unhappy with her game that night, notably her rebounds and turnovers.

It may have been the UCLA game that Lobo called and not the Duke game. Regardless, I don't think Stewart clogs the lane by being in there. Next year there may be heavy traffic with Butler, Tuck, and Stewart, but right now there seems to be room. And I'm not limiting my point to posting up in the paint. She killed ND in the title game by finishing passes off cuts. I think she limits herself when she goes on these runs of shooting long jumpers.

I'm not sure what your reference to Geno comment's is. There is no way I am doubting you just want to hear where he said. Do you just recall him saying it or you got a link? Otherwise I take your comment to mean she needs to finish better. Or was the context overall Geno saying "he has the worst post in America?" That's the context I'm talking of. I do know Geno IS telling us by his actions that he has Stewart play the wing quite a bit. That IS intentional thus he does encourage her to shoot from the outside rather than focus her game of 15 feet and in.

So you don't think teams double and triple team her when she gets the ball inside? If you're an opposing defense - and you play zone which a lot of teams seem to do- you don't think their intent is to concern themselves with packing in the inside? Mostly zones do that. If we're talking overall this year --you haven't seen opposing teams blatantly give open looks to MoJeff and Nurse daring them to shoot from the outside along with the subs and along with Tuck if they have the ball on the outside? When you have Stewie and Tuck inside why wouldn't you pack in the post (maybe MoJeffs's recent barrage will change that.)? In the 20 minutes Stokes plays and whatever minutes Gabby plays -- why wouldn't you collapse the inside on Stewart when Tuck is out too?

Thus I couldn't disagree more that overall there is room thus far unless it is bad defense or some other reason such as coach feels he/she wants to play same style as he would vs any opponent.

As far as last year we had Dolson able to pass and set picks to free up KML (and Hartley) thus it is completely different. passes into the post which this team has lacked a bit.ANd I'll have to watch last year's ND game again -- I'm not sure I agree with you. Both Notre Dame and Stanford deliberately didn't guard Jefferson on the perimeter. Thus they probably did that to stuff the lane.

Reaction Score
A further point about Dolson. The offense ran through her - and a big reason was her passing. When Stewie cuts and is open youcna count on Stef getting her the ball. While I disagree more than I used to with Meghan Culmo I do agree with her when she points out in games that tis team misses her quite a but when she is open whether it be posting or cuts. Thus there is an appearance she isn't moving but in actuality imo the team isn't as adept at fidning her when she is open and does make that fine post or cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom