UCONN vs. St. John's Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. St. John's Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewart keeps settling for long jumpers and threes despite a huge advantage inside. At least she's been really good in other areas.

I don't agree. Sawx was right her one shot was awful. Teriible. Stupid. Dumb. Withthat said - when they took out KML - St Johns went to a zone. They're defense inside collapsed. You spoke of how to defend St Johns - same here with UCONN without KML. When Stewie is open though- no reason for Stewie not to take outside shots. She has proven over her career she can hit them. So it's not "settling." She is a scorer. Let her shoot.

Geno may rip into her and say anything to rile her up beucase she still plays aloof. Bu he won't yank her etc because bottomline he wants her to shoot. He'd pull her if he felt differently.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think Chong not playing in the second half at all was the only message being sent.

Reaction Score
The officials in this game were a disgrace. They stopped calling anything on St Johns out of pity and they were allowed to bump and push every play. Made for an unwatchable game.

And of course they sent SJU to the free throw line for Stokes cleanly blocking them at the same time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Chong not playing in the second half at all was the only message being sent.
She seems to be regressing further and further. Even tho Collier and Samuelson aren't guards, I can see Chong slipping further down the depth chart next year... :(

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gottah agree with ASweet. Still, in all, a bit of a stinker. Team still learning who they are and easily knocked off their stride I think.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't agree. Sawx was right her one shot was awful. Teriible. Stupid. Dumb. Withthat said - when they took out KML - St Johns went to a zone. They're defense inside collapsed. You spoke of how to defend St Johns - same here with UCONN without KML. When Stewie is open though- no reason for Stewie not to take outside shots. She has proven over her career she can hit them. So it's not "settling." She is a scorer. Let her shoot.

She's not a shooter and most of her success today was around the basket. She settles for jumpers way too much IMO, one of the reasons her shooting percentage is one of the lowest on the team. Tuck has all but ditched the three and her shooting percentage has skyrocketed.

Reaction Score
She's not a shooter and most of her success today was around the basket. She settles for jumpers way too much IMO, one of the reasons her shooting percentage is one of the lowest on the team. Tuck has all but ditched the three and her shooting percentage has skyrocketed.

I didn't say she was a shooter. I said she was a scorer. Sure most of her success today was around the basket. Most of Stokes success was from the perimeter.

She doesn't settle for jumeprs too much. SHe is open and is the go-to player who happens to be missing at the moment.

Tuck two two or three today so I wouldn't say she has all but ditched it, and Tuck doesn't opplay on the perimeter as much as Stewie.

Reaction Score
How do you score if you don't shoot?

Do you understand that a player like Rick Barry was a scorer while Steve Kerr was a shooter?

Who do you think is a better shooter Angel McAughtry or Sue Bird? And who is the better scorer?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I didn't say she was a shooter. I said she was a scorer.

That's MY point. She's a scorer, not a shooter. She was something like 1-7/1-8 on shots +15 feet today.

She doesn't settle for jumeprs too much. SHe is open and is the go-to player who happens to be missing at the moment.

I disagree completely. She takes a lot of stand-still jumpers, sometimes falling away with hands in her face. She'd be better served moving without the ball, posting up, and looking to get in the middle of the lane.

Reaction Score
That's MY point. She's a scorer, not a shooter. She was something like 1-7/1-8 on shots +15 feet today.

I disagree completely. She takes a lot of stand-still jumpers, sometimes falling away with hands in her face. She'd be better served moving without the ball, posting up, and looking to get in the middle of the lane.

So what she was 1-7 today. Stokes was 1-1 from the perimeter. Do we change her up too? MoJeff couldn't hit an outside shot to save her life early - so the answer would be for her to stop shooting from 3 too? How often can we go back on great scorers and see they've had games where they missed quite a bit?

I disagree with how you are looking at this - comepletely. She fades away more when she is inside not whne taking a perimeter jumper. When she is in the perimeter there is no fadeaway unless shot clock is winding down or a rare play.

And I disagree completely just to limit her game to 15 feet and in especially when we've seen her in many games - especially final four and finals her frosh year knock down 3 point bombs.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
The officials in this game were a disgrace. They stopped calling anything on St Johns out of pity and they were allowed to bump and push every play. Made for an unwatchable game.

And of course they sent SJU to the free throw line for Stokes cleanly blocking them at the same time.
Stewart's first reverse lay up at 2-3 minute mark she got clubbed in the head and almost knocked over & no call. We were on a run. They didn't want an early blow out. Having said that- St Johns is talented, great guards & never gave up. We didn't look great today. Rebounding was terrible. So Carolina may be a tougher game than I was thinking it would shape up to be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whoa. They just showed a picture of my future wife, Sue Bird. Man she still looks great. Yeah it is that kind of a game where my mind is wandering :)
Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
Stewart's first reverse lay up at 2-3 minute mark she got clubbed in the head and almost knocked over & no call. We were on a run. They didn't want an early blow out. Having said that- St Johns is talented, great guards & never gave up. We didn't look great today. Rebounding was terrible. So Carolina may be a tougher game than I was thinking it would shape up to be.

USC doesn't have the type of guards of quick that give us trouble. And we saw what we did vs Duke who was supposedly this supreme great rebounding team, right?

Anyhow - it may be close I just can't see us losing at home no matter the score. If we were at USC - then that would be different.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So what she was 1-7 today. Stokes was 1-1 from the perimeter. Do we change her up too? MoJeff couldn't hit an outside shot to save her life early - so the answer would be for her to stop shooting from 3 too?

I don't understand the Stokes point. Stokes rarely takes shots at all so I don't see how she's an example of anything. Jefferson doesn't take many outside shots herself, but she has shown with her percentages that she can hit them. You can't post her up or throw high passes to her off the cut like you can with Stewart. Stewart is a streaky outside shooter, 34% from three over her career which is decent but nothing special. She has too much skill within 10 feet to not take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't understand the Stokes point. Stokes rarely takes shots at all so I don't see how she's an example of anything. Jefferson doesn't take many outside shots herself, but she has showed with her percentages that she can hit them. You can't post her up or throw high passes to her off the cut like you can with Stewart. Stewart is a streaky outside shooter, 34% from three over her career which is decent but nothing special. She has too much skill within 10 feet to not take advantage of it.

The Stokes point was we shouldn't change her style because she hit "one shot" is similar to you bringig up one game Steiw goes 1-7 as if this one game we should stop having her take 3's while she has been decent for her career and was spectacular in a final four. Big deal toay she was 1-7 or 1-8. For her career 34% IS decent and as she takes more there is no reason ot believe it can't improve. Similar with MoJeff - you use 3pt fg% stats in a way to try to show Stewie shouldn't be taking outside shots but yet using that logic MoJeff shouldn't be taking any either because her shooting was pathetic early.

As a wing or pf who can knock 3's - 34% and can improve- you'd have an unstoppable force just like what we have already seen as a frosh. Not just limiting her by putting her around the basket. Work to her to be BOTH instead of limiting her to just 15 feet and in.

Reaction Score
I got to go. Will be back in over an hour if you wanted to continue. Nice back and forth- thanks.

Reaction Score
Gottah agree with ASweet. Still, in all, a bit of a stinker. Team still learning who they are and easily knocked off their stride I think.
SJU was a pretty good team... with VERY quick guards. Give credit where due.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Stokes point was we shouldn't change her style because she hit "one shot" is similar to you bringig up one game Steiw goes 1-7 as if this one game we should stop having her take 3's while she has been decent for her career and was spectacular in a final four. Big deal toay she was 1-7 or 1-8. For her career 34% IS decent and as she takes more there is no reason ot believe it can't improve. Similar with MoJeff - you use 3pt fg% stats in a way to try to show Stewie shouldn't be taking outside shots but yet using that logic MoJeff shouldn't be taking any either because her shooting was pathetic early.

Jefferson improved immediately in her Soph season and, again, she can't do the types of things inside 15 feet that Stewart can. 34% is not all that good a percentage for someone taking a lot of threes and her % has flat-lined over 2-1/3 years.

I'm not calling for Stewart to shelve threes, just use her skills inside and off the cut more, especially when she has the size advantage she did today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom