UConn vs South Carolina - Game Analysis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs South Carolina - Game Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with all of your points except one. I have a crystal ball. The problem is sometimes it doesn’t work, and I’m left hanging. :) ONO needs to at least play Boston even. If she can do that, we should be able to pull this thing out.
That is one way of winning but is it realistic? Boston may get something like 15 an 10. Liv gets say 12 and 8. I'm good with that. As long as Boston's 10 rebounds don't include 5 or 6 offensive rebounds.

I am mostly worried about the glass and Liv getting into foul trouble because we can't stop penetration. I think it starts there really. We need to be a good perimeter defensive team.

Reaction Score
Depends. Only reason for Boston to come out is if Ono hits outside shots or is able to screen and get our players open 3s that they hit.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Carnac, I too have a crystal ball, but the damn thing keeps saying;"Answer unclear: ask again later".

Reaction Score

My prediction yesterday was 79-68 SC-they just have more experience than us and frankly, our 3 best players since the Arkansas loss, are freshman. I've never seen ONO or Christyn have games against big teams that can make me trust them(that 28 point game at ND her freshman year doesn't count with Crystal, Lou, and Phee as your teammates). If Christyn shoots more than 3-3's, we are screwed. Furthermore, at some point, Paige has to hit a freshman wall. She just isn't going to be this efficient for her entire career and this might be the game. The SC defense is different than the Tennessee length on defense. They're quick, athletic, and will really harass her and attempt to get her out of rhythm.

Keys for UCONN to pull off an upset:

1. Alliyah Edwards and ONO can play a bulk of minutes together, with Olivia at the high post. She is a good passer from there and it brings Boston out of the lane, which allows our guards to get layups on back door cuts and not have to contend with her defending the rim.

2. We hit 3 and FT's; One has gotten better(3's)....and the other is still bad(FT's)

3. Paige is Paige.

4. On D, which is the most important aspect of this game, we need to limit transition and dribble penetration.

South Carolina has small guards. Sure they are quick and athletic-- but they are easy to shoot over when you have big guards. I don't understand why some of you seem to treat the SC guards like they are Bird/Jefferson.

In CWill's frosh year in E8 she got 16 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists to 1 TO but that doesn't count either? Nor does this year count vs Tenn? And any subsequent game just like you want to use that her game vs ND doesn't count, what's going to stop you from saying the same this year because you'll just say that CWill had Paige and Evina? And next year you'll say she had Paige and Azzi?

IMO you are being unfair. And you're not accounting for in general players do get better if they are having a HOF coach work with them in which they have some talent.

Reaction Score
IMO, if Staley is smart she'll tell Boston to stay home in the paint, even if ONO makes 1 or 2. Every shot ONO takes is one that Bueckers doesn't or gets a layup for someone else. ONO's not going to beat you from out there.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Ceffaro, understand, point taken. I was generally referring to a PAC12 or Sec team that adds 3-4 OOC heavyweights annually to their schedule in addition to playing their conference gauntlet. There are 6-7 SEC teams in the top 25 for example, and even the ones not in top 25 can be prickly on any given night, teams like Bama, OM, LSU, Mizz etc etc. , I don’t see that in the BEast. Maneuvering through a season of PAC12 or SEC conf games plus adding 3-4 heavyweight OOC’s would challenge even UCONN to prevent 3-4 losses a season.
UConn has 6 undefeated season's in which 4 of them happened in the Old Big East, which was considered the top women's BB conference. How many other teams out there have more than one undefeated season? None, 18 teams have ended their regular season undefeated and 9 of them ended up winning it all. UConn with 6, Texas, Tennessee, and Baylor each had 1.

Reaction Score
That is one way of winning but is it realistic? Boston may get something like 15 an 10. Liv gets say 12 and 8. I'm good with that. As long as Boston's 10 rebounds don't include 5 or 6 offensive rebounds.

I am mostly worried about the glass and Liv getting into foul trouble because we can't stop penetration. I think it starts there really. We need to be a good perimeter defensive team.
Rebounding against SC will be a team effort. They are big and quick to the ball. We need ONO and everyone to box out and be physical.

Reaction Score

Please God - No! This is last resort type of thing. Going into this game it shouldn't be treated like last resort.
UCONN is favored by 4.5. So you want UCONN to go to one of it's least successful options rather than play of it's strengths?

The SC defense shouldn't be construed in similar fashion as the Pittsburgh Steelers STeel Curtain.
I agree with all of your points except one. I have a crystal ball. The problem is sometimes it doesn’t work, and I’m left hanging. :) ONO needs to at least play Boston even. If she can do that, we should be able to pull this thing out.

Even??????????????? Don't you think UCONN's perimeter play is much better than S.C's? It;s possible Paige is NPOY or near it. At best SC has a 3rd team A/a on the perimeter. There is also a good chance Evina is better than their perimeter players. As is CWill. If UCONN is better on the perimeter why must UCONN's center be even with arguably the best center in wcbb?

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From the SC perspective:

"This year, coach Dawn Staley says Henderson has to be dominant, but within her own style of play.

“Ty is a pick-you-apart point guard, and she did just that. Special game by her, she controlled the entire tempo on both sides of the ball. Henny probably has a little bit less pressure in that. Henny just has to do what she does, which is push the ball down the floor, find us some easy buckets, whether it’s her or dishing it off to one of her teammates,” Staley said.

“But the pace has got to be in a place in which we put UConn back on their heels. They’re gonna put us back on our heels — we got to give it right back to them and not be a half-court set-up team against UConn. We have to find some easy transition buckets, and we got to push tempo, we got to make them play on the defensive side of the ball.”

Reaction Score
Is it the "what have you done for me lately" concept? Who is the better game time coach and why? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just asking.
Geno and Chris Daley have 70 years of experience coaching UConn. And a better record of success. Daley gets ignored in the "best coach" argument but she's the reason UConn always looks prepared.

Time for some Treehugger to show up.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Nice breakdown, cferraro04!! Wow!!
I have to take your word for it. I have a form of dyslexia uncommon when numbers and letters are combined like the breakdown above I see what we called in printing many years ago-pie which is actual type spilled. I know who cares? quick answer is I do.

Reaction Score
UConn has 6 undefeated season's in which 4 of them happened in the Old Big East, which was considered the top women's BB conference. How many other teams out there have more than one undefeated season? None, 18 teams have ended their regular season undefeated and 9 of them ended up winning it all. UConn with 6, Texas, Tennessee, and Baylor each had 1.

There is no way UCONN is getting 3 or 4 losses with most of their teams.

Reaction Score
Trying to look at the margin of victory for SC in SEC games is misleading. UCONN has played 2 SEC teams so far, both close games. Imagine playing a full slate of those types games, UCONN would be in many close games if playing in that league. The SEC is like the PAC12, every night could be a close game, lots of talent and size everywhere. UCONN has been sheltered from those nightly onslaughts from capable teams for a long time, where the opponent is familiar with you and they can actually you know, compete. Ark and UT find that out every time they hit the court vs a conference opponent, same for Oregon, Stanford etc... The SEC has what, 6 teams in the top 25?
I'd wait till your team has visited Knoxville before saying anything. Those 2 UConn games were at Knoxville and at Arkansas. SC won't play at Arkansas this season. I don't know why but in the P-5 playing on the road is a whole different animal than at home. Plus, UConn is a team of babies and they are just starting to meld. In most years tonight's game would be a big deal but all I want is UConn peaking in mid-March. Tonight is just a step on the path. A win or loss means little other than bragging.

Reaction Score

Boston can also get herself into foul trouble. If UConn can do a good job boxing Boston off the boards she may get an over-the-back call ... or 2. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not with past teams. With current teams. It’s a new world.

Reaction Score
Ceffaro, understand, point taken. I was generally referring to a PAC12 or Sec team that adds 3-4 OOC heavyweights annually to their schedule in addition to playing their conference gauntlet. There are 6-7 SEC teams in the top 25 for example, and even the ones not in top 25 can be prickly on any given night, teams like Bama, OM, LSU, Mizz etc etc. , I don’t see that in the BEast. Maneuvering through a season of PAC12 or SEC conf games plus adding 3-4 heavyweight OOC’s would challenge even UCONN to prevent 3-4 losses a season.

UConn had undefeated seasons playing in the then toughest conference in the country (original Big East), and playing the toughest OOC schedule in the country. When UConn has a good team, they aren't losing 4 games in a season, not in any conference.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Tank: You are absolutely correct...now! I remember back when UConn was part of the old Big East, for years the women side of things appeared to be a weak sister when compared to other conferences. But, then as the years went by and UConn proved to be a perennial championship contender the conference started attracting more and more top 100 players. Towards the end before the break-up of the Old Big East I remember in 2012, eight teams from the Big East (Beast from the East) got into the NCAA tournament... DePaul, Georgetown, St. Johns, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Louisville, Rutgers and Connecticut.

No one could deny the power of the Old Big East... I think CT had a lot to do with the conference rise to prominence. It will take time but I anticipate the Big East Conference getting more and more competitive as recruits are attracted to the conference where they can get the most exposure playing against the best players.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I have to take your word for it. I have a form of dyslexia uncommon when numbers and letters are combined like the breakdown above I see what we called in printing many years ago-pie which is actual type spilled. I know who cares? quick answer is I do.
Huh???

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, there is a basketball game that has to be played. We can conjecture, analyze, project and calculate all we want but all these issues will get resolved very soon on the floor. I am not nervous about this game, as I usually am even when we are playing a team that we really are not going to lose too. I am more curious and interested in tonight because I want to see the character and reactions of our freshmen in this game on the one hand and the resolve and efforts of the upper classmen on the other. It is after all one game in a season and this season like every season is a team journey. I am confident that we will play well. We will have a very good understanding of exactly where we stand after tonight.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, there is a basketball game that has to be played. We can conjecture, analyze, project and calculate all we want but all these issues will get resolved very soon on the floor. I am not nervous about this game, as I usually am even when we are playing a team that we really are not going to lose too. I am more curious and interested in tonight because I want to see the character and reactions of our freshmen in this game on the one hand and the resolve and efforts of the upper classmen on the other. It is after all one game in a season and this season like every season is a team journey. I am confident that we will play well. We will have a very good understanding of exactly where we stand after tonight.

Huh???

South Carolina:

Zia Cooke - 30.4 min; 5'9"; Soph; G; 16.2 pts; 4.3 RBs; 2.2 assists; 1.6 3pt
Destanni Henderson - 32.1 min; 5'7"; Jun; G; 11.7 pts; 5.4 RBs; 5.9 Assists; 1.0 3pt
Aliyah Boston - 28.8 min; 6'5"; Soph; F; 13.7 pts; 11.3 RBs; 1.6 Assists; .4 3pts; 2.9 Blocks
Victoria Saxton - 22.3 min; 6'2"; Jun; F; 10.3 pts; 6.3 RBs; .4 Assists; 0 3pts; 1.8 Blocks
Brea Beal - 24.6 min; 6'1"; Soph; G; 8.8 pts; 4.8 RBs; 1.3 Assists; .4 3pts; .5 Blocks

Bench:

Lele Grisset
- 18.1 min; 6'2"; Sen; G; 7.2 pts; 4.8 RBs; 1.0 Assists; .6 Blocks
Laetinia Amihere - 18.8 min; 6'4"; Soph; F; 6.9 pts; 5.4 RBs; 1.1 Assists; .2Blocks

UConn:

Paige Bueckers
- 35.7 min; 5'11"; Fr; G; 20.4 pts; 5.1 RBs; 5.7 Assists; 2.6 3pts.
Nika Muhl - 21.8 min; 5'10"; Fr; G; 4.1 pts; 1.8 RBs; 3.0 Assists; 1.1 3pts.
Christyn Williams - 33.8 min; 5'11"; Jun; G; 16.8 pts; 4.5 RBs; 3.2 Assists; 1.5 3pts.
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - 24.6 min; 6'5"; Jun; F; 13.5 pts; 7.1 RBs; 2.3 Assists; .2 3pts; 1.8 Blocks.
Evina Westbrook - 31.1 min; 6'0"; RJun; G; 11.3 pts; 5.1 RBs; 5.0 Assists; 1.9 3pts; .7 Blocks

Bench:

Aubrey Griffin
- 18.5 min; 6'1"; Soph; F; 8.5 pts; 5.0 RBs; 1.2 Assists; ,2 3pts; .8 Blocks.
Aaliyah Edwards - 18.2 min; 6'3"; Fr; F; 9.5 pts; 4.4 RBs; .5 3pts; .9 Blocks.
Mir McLean - 8.2 min; 5'11"; Fr; F; 3.6 pts; 2.9 RBs; .6 Assists; .4 Blocks

Matchups:

Paige Bueckers vs Zia Cooke - Paige is a stud...she is a stat stuffer...ADVANTAGE UCONN

Nika Muhl vs Destanni Henderson
- Destanni is South Carolina's motor...she is a state stuffer for them...while Nika is playing well and her current stats don't really portray how well she is doing. Additionally, she is a pain on defense...but, I don't think she will be able to get the better of Destanni...ADVANTAGE SOUTH CAROLINA

Olivia Nelson-Ododa vs Aliyah Boston - Hey let's face it Aliyah Boston is a force of nature. Can Olivia hang with her...on a good night I say yes..however, Aliyah is a strong body and I think Olivia gets into foul trouble...and undersized Aaliyah Edwards will have to step in to help out when and if Olivia gets into foul trouble. Between the two of them I think they will be able to keep the scoring close...however, Aliyah Boston will probably dominate other aspects of the game, Rebounding, blocking shots and making life difficult for UConn in the paint. ADVANTAGE SOUTH CAROLINA

Evina Westbrook vs Victoria Saxton - Evina is giving up some size here but I think Evina is more skilled as a player. Evina is a scrapper and has a quick hop I think she not only hangs in their with Victoria on rebounds but I think she out scores her during the game. If Victoria proves to be too much to handle Aubrey Griffin will provide great minutes and offset Victoria's ability to rebound. SLIGHT ADVANTAGE UCONN

Christyn Williams vs Bria Beal - Christyn's speed and quick step to the basket will be somewhat muted by the bigs in the middle. Christyn will need to be able to knock down some threes tonight. She should be able to out play Bria. Hopefully, UConn can get out in transition and be able to get South Carolina back on its heels. ADVANTAGE UCONN

Bench:
ADVANTAGE UCONN

Coaching: Even

Intangibles: At UConn - ADVANTAGE UCONN

Score: UConn - 77 South Carolina - 71
To answer your Huh in my later reply, go to your chart above filled line after line with alpha numerics. My brain scrambles them, what I see is a jumble not line after line of stats. I may as well be looking at hieroglyphics. You may understand what I have written, to really understand what I see you only have scramble you table in any undecipherable manner to you and that is what I see on your or any other table like yours. Not your fault, it's just something I have to live with.

Reaction Score
Don't you think UCONN's perimeter play is much better than S.C's? It;s possible Paige is NPOY or near it. At best SC has a 3rd team A/a on the perimeter. There is also a good chance Evina is better than their perimeter players. As is CWill. If UCONN is better on the perimeter why must UCONN's center be even with arguably the best center in wcbb?
Lol at the notion that the #1 team has a crappy back court.

Reaction Score
Lol at the notion that the #1 team has a crappy back court.

who said crappy? Are you suggesting that any team that doesn't have as good a backcourt as UCONN is crappy? Because I didn't say crappy at all.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It is too bad that UConn didn't lose those three games due to COVID

1. Mississippi State (early season tournament)
2. Louisville
3. Baylor
Miss. State and Baylor I believe would have been overwhelming wins, but Louisville would not. That game was to be the third of the year, and with a veteran team against a young team with little playing experience it would have been a long shot just to stay in it. Now, its a different story. They, along with SC and Stanford, are the teams to beat for the NC. ( and us )

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Miss. State and Baylor I believe would have been overwhelming wins, but Louisville would not. That game was to be the third of the year, and with a veteran team against a young team with little playing experience it would have been a long shot just to stay in it. Now, its a different story. They, along with SC and Stanford, are the teams to beat for the NC. ( and us )
I just think those three games would have helped with getting our team into championship form

Reaction Score
who said crappy? Are you suggesting that any team that doesn't have as good a backcourt as UCONN is crappy? Because I didn't say crappy at all.
The leading scorer on the # 1 team is worse than all our guards. Yeah makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom