UConn vs South Carolina - Game Analysis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs South Carolina - Game Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Trying to look at the margin of victory for SC in SEC games is misleading. UCONN has played 2 SEC teams so far, both close games. Imagine playing a full slate of those types games, UCONN would be in many close games if playing in that league. The SEC is like the PAC12, every night could be a close game, lots of talent and size everywhere. UCONN has been sheltered from those nightly onslaughts from capable teams for a long time, where the opponent is familiar with you and they can actually you know, compete. Ark and UT find that out every time they hit the court vs a conference opponent, same for Oregon, Stanford etc... The SEC has what, 6 teams in the top 25?

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It seems that UConn brings out the best of some players. Chelsea Dungee (Arkansas) went off for 37 points against us, but came back to earth the next game against Auburn with only 16 (5-14/1-5)
You raise a good point Carnac...truth is it is a game and anything can happen in a game. Who thought Kansas City would get blown out the way they did...I think everyone thought it was going to be a close game. That is why they play the game...because no one has a crystal ball. The ole' sayin' that "the best laid plans of mice and men" holds here. We can only hope that Geno puts forward a winning game plan and our players stick to the plan. I hope our defense is able to keep Boston in check and I hope Olivia wakes up and gives us a Chelsea Dungee kind of evening.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Trying to look at the margin of victory for SC in SEC games is misleading. UCONN has played 2 SEC teams so far, both close games. Imagine playing a full slate of those types games, UCONN would be in many close games if playing in that league. The SEC is like the PAC12, every night could be a close game, lots of talent and size everywhere. UCONN has been sheltered from those nightly onslaughts from capable teams for a long time, where the opponent is familiar with you and they can actually you know, compete. Ark and UT find that out every time they hit the court vs a conference opponent, same for Oregon, Stanford etc... The SEC has what, 6 teams in the top 25?
Tank, I acknowledged in my post that the SEC is a better conference than the New Big East. Most of what you say, I agree with...however, UConn is not your typical New Big East Team. I think UConn would benefit from playing tough competition day in and day out but, we can only play the cards we are dealt. The good news is we have upgraded from the American Athletic Conference and that should going forward get us more prepared for playing in March.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Surely you're not comparing the defense of the #1 team in the country with non-top 30 teams.
On the physicality yes. Bad teams can get physical.

On the level of defense no, but on the adjustments necessary when dealing with a Paige focus, yes. They have been working on the necessary adjustments in game situations and will be prepared in how to deal with the focus on Paige. As a matter of fact Geno wants them to focus on Paige. That is what will open up the offense for layups and uncontested 3's which Nika and E have been knocking down.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Lately ONO has been shooting a lot from the outside - if Boston is covering her- this is the design to keep her away from the boards. The key is for Liv to hit a few outside shots to get Boston away from the basket. Defensively, you could see zone from UConn to limit Boston and force SC to make 3's. Also, I think Mir gets some time tonight as she and Griffin(hopefully she is physically able to contribute) will be needed to match up defensively with SC.

Reaction Score
I would argue the only true advantage between the teams is Boston at center. I think you could make an "even" argument the rest of the way. Paige has been really good...but...this is not your average team so the "real deal" label may be true...but maybe not against all competition. I may agree with your bottom line score predictions, but I think your bias is reflected in your match up summation.

In fairness, he rated the coaching matchup as "even." Despite the fact that Geno is the WCBB GOAT.

Reaction Score
Tank, I acknowledged in my post that the SEC is a better conference than the New Big East. Most of what you say, I agree with...however, UConn is not your typical New Big East Team. I think UConn would benefit from playing tough competition day in and day out but, we can only play the cards we are dealt. The good news is we have upgraded from the American Athletic Conference and that should going forward get us more prepared for playing in March.
Sure, but other than a 25ish ranked DePaul team, the rest of the league is lacking compared to playing a PAC12 or SEC conference schedule. The point was simply that UCONN would find themselves in several close games/battles if in either of those conferences. Tbh, most of the Big East teams will not compete on most nights, they don’t have the quality of talent and size those other conferences have. UCONN always has to play Big East teams with an eye to dominate in order to ensure they are staying sharp, and only when UCONN plays OOC is a loss possible. Teams like SC play 3-4 top 15 type OOC teams in addition to their conference schedule, where many teams can actually, you know, beat you.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Surely you're not comparing the defense of the #1 team in the country with non-top 30 teams.

Sure, but other than a 25ish ranked DePaul team, the rest of the league is lacking compared to playing a PAC12 or SEC conference schedule. The point was simply that UCONN would find themselves in several close games/battles if in either of those conferences. Tbh, most of the Big East teams will not compete on most nights, they don’t have the quality of talent and size those other conferences have. UCONN always has to play Big East teams with an eye to dominate in order to ensure they are staying sharp, and only when UCONN plays OOC is a loss possible. Teams like SC play 3-4 top 15 type OOC teams in addition to their conference schedule, where many teams can actually, you know, beat you.
With all due respects Tank...So far So. Carolina has played 4 teams currently ranked in the top 25: Gonzaga #17; N.C. State #4 (loss); Kentucky #20; Arkansas #18.

UConn haas played four teams currently ranked in the top 25. DePaul twice currently ranked #22; Tennessee ranked 16; and Arkansas currently ranked 23 (loss).

Based on the number of currently ranked teams each team has played I do not see where you above raised points make one team better prepared than the other. This match-up will come down to talent, game plan and execution. It will have little to do with inter-conference competition.

Reaction Score
It seems that UConn brings out the best of some players. Chelsea Dungee (Arkansas) went off for 37 points against us, but came back to earth the next game against Auburn with only 16 (5-14/1-5)

Isn't it about time UConn reverses that trend and maybe some of the UConn players can reach down for their best...for a change?

Reaction Score
With all due respects Tank...So far So. Carolina has played 4 teams currently ranked in the top 25: Gonzaga #17; N.C. State #4 (loss); Kentucky #20; Arkansas #18.

UConn haas played four teams currently ranked in the top 25. DePaul twice currently ranked #22; Tennessee ranked 16; and Arkansas currently ranked 23 (loss).

Based on the number of currently ranked teams each team has played I do not see where you above raised points make one team better prepared than the other. This match-up will come down to talent, game plan and execution. It will have little to do with inter-conference competition.
SC also played ranked SoDakSt and Ga

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
SC also played ranked SoDakSt and Ga
True...my bad...they weren't ranked when South Carolina played them so I missed them...South Dakota is ranked #23 and Georgia is ranked #24...the point is in this case, at this point in the season...the competition level of either conference has not imparted that much of an advantage to either team...this game will come down to game plan, talent, and execution.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It is too bad that UConn didn't lose those three games due to COVID

1. Mississippi State (early season tournament)
2. Louisville
3. Baylor

Reaction Score
I think if we can hit our shots from 3, limit penetration and limit SC bigs on the offensive boards, we can win. It's a tough one so we will see in a few hours.

We just can't slow down Boston and expect to win. We have to do more than that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You raise a good point Carnac...truth is it is a game and anything can happen in a game. Who thought Kansas City would get blown out the way they did...I think everyone thought it was going to be a close game. That is why they play the game...because no one has a crystal ball. The ole' sayin' that "the best laid plans of mice and men" holds here. We can only hope that Geno puts forward a winning game plan and our players stick to the plan. I hope our defense is able to keep Boston in check and I hope Olivia wakes up and gives us a Chelsea Dungee kind of evening.
I agree with all of your points except one. I have a crystal ball. The problem is sometimes it doesn’t work, and I’m left hanging. :) ONO needs to at least play Boston even. If she can do that, we should be able to pull this thing out.

Reaction Score
I would argue the only true advantage between the teams is Boston at center. I think you could make an "even" argument the rest of the way. Paige has been really good...but...this is not your average team so the "real deal" label may be true...but maybe not against all competition. I may agree with your bottom line score predictions, but I think your bias is reflected in your match up
Isn't it about time UConn reverses that trend and maybe some of the UConn players can reach down for their best...for a change?
Two words- Paige Bueckers! Done and done!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I agree with all of your points except one. I have a crystal ball. The problem is sometimes it doesn’t work, and I’m left hanging. :) ONO needs to at least play Boston even. If she can do that, we should be able to pull this thing out.
lol :)

I don't think this game hangs soley on ONO's ability to negate Boston. I agree with you it is important...but both teams have other players who can really make a difference in the game. There are a couple of factors with regards to UConn that I haven't mentioned in this analysis. 1. Aubrey Griffin...she is capable of impacting a game, I am not sure if she is injured but there is no doubt that so far this season she has not played up to the level she was playing at last season. A break-out game at this point in the season would be an "x" factor that hasn't been figured into this analysis. 2. A healthy Anne Makurat would also be impactful.

Reaction Score
Agreed! I think the key is to not let Boston go off for double or triple her average. If Boston just gets her average 14 & 11, I think we win. If Liv gives us 10 points, 8 boards, 3 assists, and 3 blocks I think we win. She just needs to play well, not great. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
lol :)

I don't think this game hangs soley on ONO's ability to negate Boston. I agree with you it is important...but both teams have other players who can really make a difference in the game. There are a couple of factors with regards to UConn that I haven't mentioned in this analysis. 1. Aubrey Griffin...she is capable of impacting a game, I am not sure if she is injured but there is no doubt that so far this season she has not played up to the level she was playing at last season. A break-out game at this point in the season would be an "x" factor that hasn't been figured into this analysis. 2. A healthy Anne Makurat would also be impactful.
Before our last game Geno indicated that Aubrey could have played, they were just being cautious. Haven’t heard anything re tonight’s game. Hope she’s ready to go... her quickness and athleticism could be a difference maker.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
They played South Dakota, not South Dakota State.
Thank you DaBall so only Georgia #24 would be added to the 4 ranked teams that So. Carolina played...as opposed to the 4 ranked teams that UConn played. This just further supports my thesis...Inter-conference competition will only play a very minor role in this match-up. It will come down to game plan, talent, and execution.

Reaction Score

Ceffaro, understand, point taken. I was generally referring to a PAC12 or Sec team that adds 3-4 OOC heavyweights annually to their schedule in addition to playing their conference gauntlet. There are 6-7 SEC teams in the top 25 for example, and even the ones not in top 25 can be prickly on any given night, teams like Bama, OM, LSU, Mizz etc etc. , I don’t see that in the BEast. Maneuvering through a season of PAC12 or SEC conf games plus adding 3-4 heavyweight OOC’s would challenge even UCONN to prevent 3-4 losses a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom