UConn vs So Carolina news | The Boneyard

UConn vs So Carolina news

Reaction Score
Thought Brazil had qualified for the Olympics when they won AmeriCup and didn't need to participate. Interesting.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thought Brazil had qualified for the Olympics when they won AmeriCup and didn't need to participate. Interesting.
Doesn't the OP indicate FIBA qualifying? No idea if Olympic and FIBA qualifying are associated.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The AmeriCup result is how Brazil secured its spot in the February's Olympic Qualifying Tournament. (Confusing, I know.)

LEON (Mexico) – Brazil blocked USA from getting an AmeriCup three-peat as they defeated the defending champions in a 69-58 victory to claim the gold medal and win a record sixth Women’s AmeriCup on Sunday evening at Domo de la Feria in León, Guanajuato, Mexico.

The win automatically earns Brazil a berth in the FIBA Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Reaction Score
The AmeriCup result is how Brazil secured its spot in the February's Olympic Qualifying Tournament. (Confusing, I know.)

LEON (Mexico) – Brazil blocked USA from getting an AmeriCup three-peat as they defeated the defending champions in a 69-58 victory to claim the gold medal and win a record sixth Women’s AmeriCup on Sunday evening at Domo de la Feria in León, Guanajuato, Mexico.

The win automatically earns Brazil a berth in the FIBA Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

Like....geez. How many qualifying events do they need? AmeriCup, then the Nov qualifier for 2 spots, now this event in February? This seems ridiculous and excessive.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Like....geez. How many qualifying events do they need? AmeriCup, then the Nov qualifier for 2 spots, now this event in February? This seems ridiculous and excessive.
The Olympic Qualifying Tournaments in February are just that. Everything before that was to determine who got the 16 spots in the OQTs.

AmeriCup is a standalone event, one of four “continental cups” (along with EuroBasket, Asia Cup, and AfroBasket) which FIBA also happens to use as part of the Olympic qualifying process.

In the Americas region, FIBA designated one OQT spot for the best-performing team at AmeriCup other than the US; that spot, of course, was won by Brazil.

Two other OQT spots from the Americas were decided by the Pre-Qualifying Tournament in November. Those two spots were won by Canada and Puerto Rico.

Out of the 16 teams at next month's OQTs will emerge the 10 teams that will join the US and France at Paris 2024.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Olympic Qualifying Tournaments in February are just that. Everything before that was to determine who got the 16 spots in the OQTs.

AmeriCup is a standalone event, one of four “continental cups” (along with EuroBasket, Asia Cup, and AfroBasket) which FIBA also happens to use as part of the Olympic qualifying process.

In the Americas region, FIBA designated one OQT spot for the AmeriCup; that spot, of course, was won by Brazil.

Two other OQT spots from the Americas were decided by the Pre-Qualifying Tournament in November. Those two spots were won by Canada and Puerto Rico.

Out of the 16 teams at next month's OQTs will emerge the 10 teams (other than the US and France) who will compete at Paris 2024.

Thanks for this, but it still seems excessive and somewhat disjointed. I've felt the same way about the men's qualification process as well.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks for this, but it still seems excessive and somewhat disjointed. I've felt the same way about the men's qualification process as well.
Yeah it is no doubt byzantine. Not sure why they added the “pre-qualifying” tournament to the mix in our region.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Frankly, I don't want to hear excuses when we beat them.
a) We're doomed
b) If we win it will because the strong ball was used.

Reaction Score
Would she really be left off the team if she chose to stay and play UConn? I doubt it.

Believe it's a matter that they need her for depth than anything else. Brazil's team is a mix of long standing veterans and up and coming talent like Cardoso.

Like @HuskyNan notes, they're facing tough competition. Brazil will need their best players available to have a chance.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If they don’t qualify for the Olympics, there’s no team to be on. A game vs Australia is no walkover, don’t know about Serbia
Believe it's a matter that they need her for depth than anything else. Brazil's team is a mix of long standing veterans and up and coming talent like Cardoso.

Like @HuskyNan notes, they're facing tough competition. Brazil will need their best players available to have a chance.

I'm guessing the thinking is that Brazil may have its Olympic berth clinched after the first 2 games (on Feb. 8 and 10), since I believe they only have to finish top 3 out of the 4-team round robin to clinch. If so then Brazil's Feb. 11 game vs. Germany becomes unimportant and perhaps Cardoso can fly out on the morning of Feb. 11 and get to Columbia in time for the game, hence “game-time decision”.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom