UConn vs SMU Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs SMU Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
don't complain too much....the team can certainly use the time to heal up and nobody gets more done in practice then Geno......
Geno also complained about the gap saying that if you're playing great you just want to play instead of waiting around.

Reaction Score
Geno also complained about the gap saying that if you're playing great you just want to play instead of waiting around.

right but he also said it works in your favor if you have injured players...............definitely a trade off but I'd take a healthier Crystal and Gabby over playing a week earlier..........they will need to be at their best physically to play so many tough games in the big tournament

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
What's up with that airball by KLS? And I thought she was supposed to be the best 3-pt. shooter in the land? How embarrassing! For that she should be benched and sent back to the practice court to learn how to get the ball at least to kiss some iron or glass. This will show the team that Geno's benching policy has no mercy. In her place MW should start; that will end all the groaning and moaning about MW not getting enough play time.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
That's ESPN viewing that show. Don't know why they just don't air SNY's half time show.

ESPN probably uses the same half time show for all games streamed on ESPN3 that are broadcasted on another network. They could at least update the half time show on a weekly basiss.

On a different note, why do they broadcast the same insipid, moronic, dumb, stupid halftime show? I am so sick and tired of the same garbage. I didn't watch it the first time, and I haven't watched it the last five times.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's ESPN viewing that show. Don't know why they just don't air SNY's half time show.
ESPN probably uses the same half time show for all games streamed on ESPN3 that are broadcasted on another network. They could at least update the half time show on a weekly basiss.
Yea I confused why people are calling this a half time show. It has nothing to do with the game being broadcast. It is basically an extended commercial for ESPN & ESPN should just go ahead a run commercials during the show.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I still think we need to get Dangerfield's shooting back on track or we're potentially easy to defend.

- Box and 1 (or diamond and 1) with your best defender denying Lou open looks from outside
- Pack the paint with everyone else
- Force Dangerfield to shoot from the outside and cut off driving lanes
- Challenge Nurse to contribute on offense (she hasn't done much against the best teams)
- Sag on Collier, Williams, and Stevens and force them to either shoot from the foul line or drive into taller/bulkier defenders (Collier and Williams are physical, but undersized; Stevens can't handle physical defenders)

When Dangerfield is a threat from the outside, the rest of it unravels and we're virtually unstoppable.

First Box and 1 only works when a team has a star and 4 mediocre players. It leaves you playing 4 on 4 - name a team that would beat UConn playing 4 on 4.

Pack the paint on a team where the 3rd best 3 point shooter is hitting 37% ridiculous.

Force Dangerfield to shoot from the outside is what you have been watching. Crystal's strength is in the transition and that is where .

Challenge Nurse to contribute? When teams have tried to sag on Kia she hits 47% from three. She stays on the perimeter to give Pheesa and Gabby room

Sag on collier Williams and Stevens, they all shoot 50% inside the arc. Do you want to give Pheesa open 10 footers or Gabby or Z.

The only defense that has slowed this team down is the old Hack-A-Shaq in which all five players fould the player shooting (see USF)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There were times last night when the crowd sounded mostly UConn or at least very appreciative of the artistry they were witnessing. Good fans. I hate the bloomer, ill fitting diaper look affected by a few SMUs. Never trust a coach who wears a bowtie! I wonder how CD has been shooting in practice, 'cuz she isn't even thinking about it in game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had wanted to mention that beyond her rebounding and rim protection, I was particularly impressed with Z's confidence with some mid range shots and her jump hook. It seems that is a lot of variety. Also, she did not seem to hover near the 3 pt line much and did not have one of those 3pt itches where she is undecided and then hoists it up without rhythm

Jim

Reaction Score
Azura entering the game changed everything
During his post game interview with Justine, Geno mentioned that the first five minutes weren't good and he put Z in for Gabby because Gabby's game seemed to be a bit "off" (but that she was great when he put her back in a while later.) I wondered whether Gabby wasn't her usual self because it was SMU's senior night and she might have been thinking about her own senior night in the next game (and wasn't 100% focused.) Or did she just need some time to observe what the opponents were doing and adjust accordingly?

Reaction Score
During his post game interview with Justine, Geno mentioned that the first five minutes weren't good and he put Z in for Gabby because Gabby's game seemed to be a bit "off" (but that she was great when he put her back in a while later.) I wondered whether Gabby wasn't her usual self because it was SMU's senior night and she might have been thinking about her own senior night in the next game (and wasn't 100% focused.) Or did she just need some time to observe what the opponents were doing and adjust accordingly?
A few points to add (was sitting behind UConn's bench last night):
1. Not sure anything was wrong with Gabby early on. The two strong, physical, 6'5" SMU players were getting great position and matched up well. After Z replaced her, everything changed - SMU's offensive rebounds stopped, Z made several steals and blocks, and even threw in jump hook, a move I had never seen her make. Could be most physical and best game Z has played.
2. Surprised I saw only a few comments about the 43 to 0 streak UConn put up. Actually was 46 to 1 with the one foul shot on a bad call when the SMU player wasn't touched. Can't remember a comparable run by any team in any sport-college or pro.
3. Magical shooting display by KLS in third Q-one of the top 3 I have seen from her. Geno likely took her out to not run up score or she could had 30-40 points with ease.
4. Got to game early and in shoot around, Molly was very smooth, hitting every 3. Once the warm ups started, she took few shots and as in game, deferred to others. In game, she had several open chances and passed each time. Very strange since skill appears to be there.
5. Justine appears to be very intense. Never smiled before or during game until on camera. Seems fully committed to broadcasting.
6. My son and I both noted that Walker appears to have developed a hitch or hesitation on her 3 point shots that cause a strange rotation on ball. Despite her poor 3 point shooting, she played hard and generally well. Explosive when driving and seems to float by everyone to the rim for layups. Fun watching her bang with the physical SMU bigs.
7. Lexi Gordon was so smooth in pregame, something I haven't seen in games. Wonder if her sister was at game. While only a Soph, sister is one of top players and scorers in Dallas area.
8. Met several UConn fans from around country who mentioned they always travel in for this game. Cheap airfare this time of year, good restaurants and ability to sit near UConn bench.

Reaction Score
On a different note, why do they broadcast the same insipid, moronic, dumb, stupid halftime show? I am so sick and tired of the same garbage. I didn't watch it the first time, and I haven't watched it the last five times.
They are cheap. They want to use the ad they have sold (naturally), so they have to have content. So they prepare their own which (naturally) is about MCBB, not WCBB and which they do not change. Last year, they at least updated it halfway through the year. This year, no such luck. If I hear the story about the coach at AIC in Springfield who went after a major league recruit one more time, I will vomit.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
They are cheap. They want to use the ad they have sold (naturally), so they have to have content. So they prepare their own which (naturally) is about MCBB, not WCBB and which they do not change. Last year, they at least updated it halfway through the year. This year, no such luck. If I hear the story about the coach at AIC in Springfield who went after a major league recruit one more time, I will vomit.
Go ahead and hurl! It won't help. When you rinse out your mouth and look back at the television, there is K and that doofus interviewer. You cannot escape. Even Bill Murray's Phil could not turn that around.

Reaction Score
I watched the game at a bar (I’m “blacked out”:mad:). During The Run, I kept hootin’ and hollerin’ so that other people were looking at me. No matter.

On another note, me thinks the camera person has a huge crush on Travis Mays. His face was in close up for minutes at a time. Yeah, he’s a good looking guy, but c’mon!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I posted these post game mutterings and musings on another thread but they're more appropriate here:

1-Travis Mays looked snazzy in a bow tie for his team's Senior Day.
2-Speaking of fashion, can't say I'm a big fan of the SMU "diaper" shorts nor can I imagine CD allowing UConn players to dress that way. Not a good look, SMU.
3-If there's anyone who still doesn't believe that relentless pressure defense creates offensive opportunities, I urge them to watch the final 15 minutes of the first half.
4-Sure hope those folks who vote for All-America teams took notice that once again Kia Nurse took on a team's top perimeter scorer and neutralized her. If defense counts as much as offense, Kia should be an All-American.
5-The essence of UConn basketball is right there on the stat sheet: 27 assists on 31 baskets.
6-Reprieve! As many predicted, it appears Megan Walker's exile lasted until the next practice.
7-If your head is a basketball and BatCam wants it, you're Ichabod Crane.
8-It was cruel that Lexi couldn't get a friendly roll at least once, Saturday.
9-Simply can't imagine a pair more deserving of Senior Night praise and adulation than the tenacious and determined duo of Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams. Much gratitude from San Diego.

Reaction Score
I posted these post game mutterings and musings on another thread but they're more appropriate here:

1-Travis Mays looked snazzy in a bow tie for his team's Senior Day.
2-Speaking of fashion, can't say I'm a big fan of the SMU "diaper" shorts nor can I imagine CD allowing UConn players to dress that way. Not a good look, SMU.
3-If there's anyone who still doesn't believe that relentless pressure defense creates offensive opportunities, I urge them to watch the final 15 minutes of the first half.
4-Sure hope those folks who vote for All-America teams took notice that once again Kia Nurse took on a team's top perimeter scorer and neutralized her. If defense counts as much as offense, Kia should be an All-American.
5-The essence of UConn basketball is right there on the stat sheet: 27 assists on 31 baskets.
6-Reprieve! As many predicted, it appears Megan Walker's exile lasted until the next practice.
7-If your head is a basketball and BatCam wants it, you're Ichabod Crane.
8-It was cruel that Lexi couldn't get a friendly roll at least once, Saturday.
9-Simply can't imagine a pair more deserving of Senior Night praise and adulation than the tenacious and determined duo of Kia Nurse and Gabby Williams. Much gratitude from San Diego.
So VERY MUCH Concur with point #2... I can't understand it...and can't see why these ladies (and there are others on other teams) don't realize how ridiculous it looks. Makes one wonder why they can't get their shorts "altered" so they fit their personal preference, but still look like team shorts. It appears SoCarolina does it for Wilson (shorter and tighter in the legs than her teammates)....and that look is so much better than the diaper look!

Reaction Score
First i would like to know if Geno has anything to say on his bench after this game...it would seem there is a huge drop off after number 7 and from my perspective could not compete with a SMU type team.

My view
1. Uconn looked mortal first 5 min they played a halfcout set SMU made shots uconn couldn’t but a basket
2. Geno puts on the press and a run that leaves you shaking your head emerges. Incredible!
3. Meg gets in the game! Apparently she is out of doghouse: moved well still seems out of comfort zone. But she still doesnt stick out in a bad way with starters (i include z in the starters...she imo got game going in right direction along with press.
4. Gordon gets in earlier than any game before. She is from Texas so makes sense. Slowly but surely starters come off floor and this leads to an entire 4th period of bench players.
5. I don’t care what kids are doing in warmup making shots...this is not HORSE. On the floor this team didn’t seem to compete much higher than the SMU team.
6. Good news is we only lose Kia and Gabby. Meg will fill a role and new 18’s will have to step up. I thought someone on the bench would be able to fill a role early mostly Coombs but it would seem her lack of playing and confidence has actually taken away from her skill set.
7. I see another Natty on the horizon.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
First i would like to know if Geno has anything to say on his bench after this game...it would seem there is a huge drop off after number 7 and from my perspective could not compete with a SMU type team.

My view
1. Uconn looked mortal first 5 min they played a halfcout set SMU made shots uconn couldn’t but a basket
2. Geno puts on the press and a run that leaves you shaking your head emerges. Incredible!
3. Meg gets in the game! Apparently she is out of doghouse: moved well still seems out of comfort zone. But she still doesnt stick out in a bad way with starters (i include z in the starters...she imo got game going in right direction along with press.
4. Gordon gets in earlier than any game before. She is from Texas so makes sense. Slowly but surely starters come off floor and this leads to an entire 4th period of bench players.
5. I don’t care what kids are doing in warmup making shots...this is not HORSE. On the floor this team didn’t seem to compete much higher than the SMU team.
6. Good news is we only lose Kia and Gabby. Meg will fill a role and new 18’s will have to step up. I thought someone on the bench would be able to fill a role early mostly Coombs but it would seem her lack of playing and confidence has actually taken away from her skill set.
7. I see another Natty on the horizon.
What fault did you find with the bench play against SMU? They played most of the fourth quarter. That's about nine minutes. Did the starters look any better in the first five minutes of the game? With more time they adjusted. Maybe with more time the bench would have adjusted. However, we know that is not a reasonable thing to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom