UConn vs SCSU post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn vs SCSU post game thread

Reaction Score
My takeaway:

-Guard play was way better than expected.
-Front court was way worse than expected.

I can't imagine this team with a single starting-is front court player. Honestly.

Reaction Score
If guys like AkAk and the 3 centers can't see the open minutes they are blind. We shouldn't expect a lot from this front court. I, imho, don't see why anyone here does.

Let's just get over .500 and play some post season ball.

Reaction Score
1. Ball movement was very refreshing to watch compared to the last few years. There were a lot more open looks.
2. Front court needs a lot of work. I am not surprised. They were given a lot more opportunities on the offensive end compared to the past few years but need to finish off!
3. I loved the pressure defense. It will get even better as the year progresses.
4. Gilbert is an awesome field general and provides much needed leadership. I hope he stays healthy.
5. I came away impressed with the two newcomers - B. Adams & T. Smith.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I dont think wilson is that guy. I think Brendan Adams could defend 3/4 better than him. He's 6'6 and frail.

Diarra is intriguing. I think he may be rusty, but defense and rebounding is all that we really need from that spot right now. Scoring would be gravy

I think he’s our best big and was last year too, even though he didn’t get the minutes. Hurley commented before he got hurt again that Diarra had developed a nice mid range jump shot.

Reaction Score
Didn't see or hear the game, so appreciate the many fine assessments here. A bit perplexed by the accolades for Gilbert -- based on the box score. He played 27 minutes at point and didn't have an assist. Can anyone explain this? Jalen, whose game didn't seem to impress anyone, had 3 assists in 20 minutes. Tarin Smith had 5.

Reaction Score
Didn't see or hear the game, so appreciate the many fine assessments here. A bit perplexed by the accolades for Gilbert -- based on the box score. He played 27 minutes at point and didn't have an assist. Can anyone explain this? Jalen, whose game didn't seem to impress anyone, had 3 assists in 20 minutes. Tarin Smith had 5.

I think it’s two things-

First, I think a healthy happy, productive Gilbert is always going to get a lot of attention. There were also multiple point guards playing together, and a correct and efficient pass doesn’t always lead directly to a score. The pass before the assist is just as important.

Second, the team got off to a very slow start, and Gilbert was the only one really doing anything. Regardless of opponent, having him take over a part of a game and keep the team is in was just really great to see. He was doing a bit of everything in that stretch.

Reaction Score
We'll know what our future frontcourt is by the end of the month.

Oh

Edit: This was my 1,000th post. I've been banned multiple times, I've trolled, been trolled, lurked, but like a 3* senior, I think I finally found my place in this crazy world we call the boneyard. Good times, great memories.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gilbert played very well, it was very encouraging. Ppl saying Jalen didn’t play well confuse me. All in all our guards are VERY good

Reaction Score
The fact that people say Jalen didn't play well and he was 6/11 and 2/3 with 16 points in 20 minutes is a very good sign. Scoring efficiently while playing poorly portends of a high ceiling.

..Still needs to get to the FT line. Take a page from Tarin, Jalen.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
I believe J. Adams did play well. He was efficient, chose his opportunities selectively, hit some very nice shots, shared the ball and seemed to let the game come to him. He was not the primary ball handler - this was shared by all the guards, but mostly Gilbert and Smith. He also didn't start and I think was looking to be part of a collective offense, not just the focal point as he has had to do in the past. If he can hit outside shots with more consistency, our back court may be one of the best in the country (top 10 ???).

Reaction Score
I agree the body language of JA was not great at times. The few times I keyed on him he seemed he did not like that the ball was not going thru him. He is going to have to get used to not having the ball in his hands the whole game. Not sure if he is going to adjust to that well.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Best play of the game: Vital full court pass to Jalen for the dunk.

This was a Division II team so we'll have to see how things progress as the season unfolds but ball movement and offensive sets were significantly better than the past two seasons. IMO that's the result of Gilbert and Smith. When they ran the offense it looked like Hurley's RI team. When Jalen ran offense it looked like UConn last season. Lots of dribbling at top of key with the shot clock running down. Jalen can do things that no one else can do but he plays more deliberately than Gilbert and Smith who bring the ball down the court quickly, pass the ball or drive to the basket quickly and much earlier in the possession. Jalen's midrange game was off and he still had good numbers except for five turnovers.

Brendan Adams has game and did not play like a freshman.

On defense Gilbert, Smith and Vital are very disruptive. There would have been more turnovers if the bigs had quicker reflexes. Jalen and Brendan are steady and good defenders. I felt players were able to get by Gilbert far too often and he was bailed out by our bigs. That won't happen against better teams.

I actually felt Polley's defense was much better in this game than most of last season. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to improve. He has a decent handle but once again he drove to the basket and got called for a charge. I agree with the announcer who felt that Polley needs to be able to stop quickly when he drives to avoid charges.

I still like Carleton. He's timid like Steve Enoch but I think he has a more complete game in a less physical body. Somebody give him a Jeff Adrien transfusion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom