UConn vs. RPI (10/12/19 @ 3:35p @ XL Center) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. RPI (10/12/19 @ 3:35p @ XL Center)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The frustration is mounting, but there were flashes of hope today and against Army. A couple of finished scoring chances in both games and we‘re singing a different tune. It felt like we should have been up 3-0 after one yesterday.

Reaction Score
The frustration is mounting, but there were flashes of hope today and against Army. A couple of finished scoring chances in both games and we‘re singing a different tune. It felt like we should have been up 3-0 after one yesterday.
At some point soon the coach needs to take some heat. Almost every goal given up is a result of a tactical issue breakdown in our own zone. We consistently give up big chances based on this rather than the other team creating them. Whoever is responsible for defense needs to look in the mirror and ultimately that’s on Cav. Give RPI credit when we gifted them good opportunities they made no mistake in finishing. Also yesterday Vomacka did not play great but was far from reason we lost.

Reaction Score
Yeah, its just a coincidence most of the Diaco guys left. You're a fool.
I may be a fool but those who know me would note I do not make off handed remarks without some knowledge of the subject. I sincerely doubt you have first hand knowledge of Edsall running off any of Diacos recruits.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Most of Diaco’s guys left because they weren’t D1 players, and they basically sucked.

They were bad. But he also ran them off. Then turns around and complains how young his team is for three years. It's a grift.

Reaction Score
They were bad. But he also ran them off. Then turns around and complains how young his team is for three years. It's a grift.
I'm confused. So you think he should have kept players that everyone, including you apparently, believed weren't FBS quality solely so he could have bad upperclasses?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
C'mon ZLS do you really believe that Randy, or any FBS coach would "run off" guys who could actually help the team? Do you really believe that any FBS coach would court losses, just he could brag about how bad things were when he got here?

zls44

Reaction Score
C'mon ZLS do you really believe that Randy, or any FBS coach would "run off" guys who could actually help the team? Do you really believe that any FBS coach would court losses, just he could brag about how bad things were when he got here?

...yes? Lots of coaches to that.

I believe Randy could've tried to coach those players and make them better. But the easy way out, the lazy way, was to just say "not my guys, not good enough". If you're gonna do that, if you're gonna pull the rug out from kids who committed to the school, you'd better replace them with better players.

Think Randy's done that?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
...yes? Lots of coaches to that.

I believe Randy could've tried to coach those players and make them better. But the easy way out, the lazy way, was to just say "not my guys, not good enough". If you're gonna do that, if you're gonna pull the rug out from kids who committed to the school, you'd better replace them with better players.

Think Randy's done that?
Nope. The easy way is take the older guys, as long as they are fairly competent and try to squeeze out a couple wins with them. The harder path is give your young players playing time so that you build them up. I think it less a "I want to create a narrative of how hard I had to work to get us back" as a "Holy crap, the cupboard is bare." scenario.

The thing that worries me, a lot, is I don't that there has been meaningful improvement on the field. I think HCREv2 get through the end of year 4 to show it, but god help us it there isn't any by that time.

Reaction Score
Same excuse every year. We are young. When do we stop being too young to win. Penn St seems to have caught on real quick.

zls44

Reaction Score
Same excuse every year. We are young. When do we stop being too young to win. Penn St seems to have caught on real quick.

Yeah, UConn just needs a sugar daddy to pump $80,000,000 into facilities, its so easy anyone can do it.

Reaction Score
Talent is good, talent coupled with experience wins, I think we’re a year away from being a legitimate NCAA contender.

Reaction Score
Yeah, UConn just needs a sugar daddy to pump $80,000,000 into facilities, its so easy anyone can do it.
What does that have to do with the talent on the ice? I keep hearing we are having solid recruiting classes, yet it doesn't translate to wins.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
david quinn had the same reputation at BU before he left for the Rangers. Great recruits every year did not translate into results on the ice

Reaction Score
What a disaster start to the season. Can you imagine what will unfold against hockey east teams if this is how we've been fairing with Atlantic teams so far? Hope he switches things up this week--current lines clearly lacking chemistry. Watched all three of the first games (uconn alum and my kids love to go to watch)--need more speed on the wings and D need to pick up urgency on breakouts/neutral zone. Ruslan obviously extremely skilled but been a non-factor 5v5 so far this season. Firstov skilled but needs development--will be a force by his junior year but i doubt he stays that long; assume he signs after his fresh or sophmore season. Linell stood out to me in the first game--he's got open ice speed and had a few high hockey IQ moments. Would like to see what he can do with a more skilled line, maybe on a wing with kondelik or freeman? Cant fathom why Cav has him in the stands in favor for some of these returners.

anyone else have any early views on the forward situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom