UConn vs Princeton; Geno vs Carla | The Boneyard

UConn vs Princeton; Geno vs Carla

Reaction Score
A lot of Carla fans on here so I'm probably not the only one who would find a victory against her and her squad a tad bittersweet. And while the odds are Uconn will win this game they will definitely have to work hard for it. In any case, look forward to what potentially could be a great basketball game.

Reaction Score
I've asked myself would Carla want to succeed a legend, always a risky proposition, or try to make Princeton the Stanford of the East? I don't have an answer but agree UConn will face a well-coached team with motivation enough to keep it close.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure she is eager for the recruiting side of D1 wcbb. Princeton is like a magnet for every prep player in the northeast now. She is an outstanding coach. I'd be surprised if she doesn't retire from Princeton, a school whose academic appeal takes away some of the recruiting load.

Reaction Score
I've asked myself would Carla want to succeed a legend, always a risky proposition,
No attack here I agree but I also have felt for sometime she is first on my list. She has the best resume of any alum in coaching.
I'd be surprised if she doesn't retire from Princeton, a school whose academic appeal takes away some of the recruiting load.
Again no attack but I'm with Geno on this one and hope when the time comes Carla agrees. ;)
"You know, there are just as many Duke graduates waiting on tables as there is from any other school in the country," Auriemma said.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
No attack here I agree but I also have felt for sometime she is first on my list. She has the best resume of any alum in coaching.

Again no attack but I'm with Geno on this one and hope when the time comes Carla agrees. ;)
"You know, there are just as many Duke graduates waiting on tables as there is from any other school in the country," Auriemma said.
He finished that remark by saying the Dukies probably work at better restaurants.

Reaction Score
Berube or Ralph ....i wish someone could make that a poll ;)
Would the poll be 1) who do you prefer, or 2) which one would accept? I'd prefer the poll to ask #2, and if the choices were: a) Carla, b) Shea or c) Neither, I'd reluctantly bet on C.

Reaction Score
He finished that remark by saying the Dukies probably work at better restaurants.
Geno has also said a while back that UNC, Duke & Stanford were the schools he might have left for. His reason was that those schools and their campuses alone convince recruits.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
When the time comes for a new coach...way down the road I hope...I would like UConn to have a nation-wide search and see who applies. Certainly they should interview those with UConn connections but I do not see any obligation to limit the
search to that group. I would hope that Geno himself will have significant input in the process... but not the final say.
Another wish...sure to be ignored...is that there be a year or two transition with the next coach on our bench/on the coaching staff...with that time smoothing her/his move to the head spot. Plus...CD staying a year or two following Geno's exit to further help the new #1.

Reaction Score
I think preserving as much continuity as possible would be best. Lots of good coaches out there, but very few who have built a culture of excellence over several decades. That says look for someone who has been through the UConn system.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I've asked myself would Carla want to succeed a legend, always a risky proposition, or try to make Princeton the Stanford of the East? I don't have an answer but agree UConn will face a well-coached team with motivation enough to keep it close.
Carla is a competitor and a superior proven winning head coach. She would not shrink from the challenge of following Geno. If her family situation would be compatible with such a move, then she would replace Geno and continue UCONN's winning ways uninterrupted.

Reaction Score
When the time comes for a new coach...way down the road I hope...I would like UConn to have a nation-wide search and see who applies. Certainly they should interview those with UConn connections but I do not see any obligation to limit the
search to that group. I would hope that Geno himself will have significant input in the process... but not the final say.
Another wish...sure to be ignored...is that there be a year or two transition with the next coach on our bench/on the coaching staff...with that time smoothing her/his move to the head spot. Plus...CD staying a year or two following Geno's exit to further help the new #1.
Agree with first point and part of second. Hiring a former player doesn't mean you are hiring the best coach. The game is constantly evolving and new ideas can be an asset. As an example, Marisa Moseley never attended UConn but was a solid coach and strong recruiter. CD staying 1-2 years would be a great resource to a new coach but anyone you hire would want to put their own imprint on the program. Extending UConn's excellence doesn't mean you have to do it 100% Geno's way-unlikely Geno would respect anyone who couldn't stand on their own.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Agree with first point and part of second. Hiring a former player doesn't mean you are hiring the best coach. The game is constantly evolving and new ideas can be an asset. As an example, Marisa Moseley never attended UConn but was a solid coach and strong recruiter. CD staying 1-2 years would be a great resource to a new coach but anyone you hire would want to put their own imprint on the program. Extending UConn's excellence doesn't mean you have to do it 100% Geno's way-unlikely Geno would respect anyone who couldn't stand on their own.
I agree that the new coach would put their own stamp on the program, which is why having CD stay a couple of years would not be a good idea since she has done it Genos way for 38 years. I believe it would come down to Carla and Marisa, with Marisa realizing that Wisconsin will be going nowhere in the foreseeable future, thus jumping at the chance.

Reaction Score
I agree that the new coach would put their own stamp on the program, which is why having CD stay a couple of years would not be a good idea since she has done it Genos way for 38 years. I believe it would come down to Carla and Marisa, with Marisa realizing that Wisconsin will be going nowhere in the foreseeable future, thus jumping at the chance.
And Marissa would bring her own CD with her!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would the poll be 1) who do you prefer, or 2) which one would accept? I'd prefer the poll to ask #2, and if the choices were: a) Carla, b) Shea or c) Neither, I'd reluctantly bet on C.
You have to throw some other popular, but in my view unlikely, choices as well: Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Rebecca Lobo, Jen Rizzotti, maybe Sales, etc. Include Jamelle and Chris Daly too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is Shea Ralph out of the picture?
I actually think that she might be. Her set up at Vanderbilt is a very good one. It’s going to take time but, assuming she’s successful, she might not want to walk away from it.

Still, I think she’s on the short list of people you talk to.

That said, I don’t love talking about replacements for our Hall of Fame coaches. It feels like it is tempting fate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom