UConn vs Princeton; Geno vs Carla | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Princeton; Geno vs Carla

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Shea and Marisa are in a challenging position. They both have to show that they can make their current programs MUCH better than they were. They don't have to win NC's or get to Final Fours at those programs, but getting to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 would be a probable benchmark.

If they fail that test (as Jamelle did at Cincinnati and as Jen Rizzotti did at GW), then they will remove themselves from any list of Geno's potential successors.

If they pass the test, then I agree that they may well want to stay where they are.

Reaction Score
Whoever ends up taking over from Geno, they are entering a situation far different than when Geno took over and built the UConn dynasty. The number of quality players, coaches, and programs has increased, recruiting is more competitive, and the portal has created a whole different dynamic when it comes to putting a team together. I think it is unreasonable to expect that what UConn has done in women's basketball over the past 25+ years can continue. To be honest, what existed in the mid 2010's with Stewie's class has been slowly eroding and we may never see the likes of that again.

That does not mean that the program won't continue to put out good teams that will be exciting to watch, but the domination that we all got used to over the last two and a half decades is not likely to continue, regardless of what happens with the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
I agree that the competition has gotten a lot tougher. But the number of programs that are able to get kids to sign up to practice super hard, focus on D and get no promise of playing time is still quite small. A dozen, maybe.

Maybe the main change is that the culture of high school girls bb has changed a bit. There’s just a lot more prep schools that have put some serious attention into it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom