UConn vs Notre Dame in Brooklyn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Notre Dame in Brooklyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For anyone making HE trips, if you need advice on any of the locations (where to stay/go/etc) I've been to all of them more times than I can count, so I'd be happy to provide any tips.

Go to UVM, Burlington is beautiful and just an awesome place to spend a weekend. The Gut is a nice old classic barn, some really bad seats though (DO NOT sit at the bottom of Section 15 where they sometimes give away teams box offices tickets - you can't see the other zone.) Still the best HE road trip BY FAR. The weekend in Maine is booooooooooring. Orono is a snoozefest, Bangor isn't much better. But my lord, is Alfond is a fun place to see a hockey game.

I agree that the entertainment options in Orono (U Maine) are limited as its basically Storrs, Maine. Now, while not UConn, the tournament that U Maine is hosting in Portland is a whole different story. I would Portland over Burlington VT ( U Vermont) any day. One point to add about Burlington, trying to find where the next delivery of Heady Topper will be is like an adult version of Where's Waldo.

Andover MA (Merrimack) is a large, high-end suburb. No much going on there. If you go, be careful if you have a foolish idea to visit the next town north - Lawrence. Its a rough town.

Lowell MA (UMass-Lowell) is an old mill town that has been saved (unlike Lawrence) via having a university in town and some political heavyweights (Tsongas) carrying it. There are a few things to do downtown in the strip between the baseball field, Tsongas arena, and downtown Lowell. There are some rougher spots though between downtown and I-495.

Providence RI - Go to the game, leave the game and escape to downtown as quickly as possible.

Durham NH (UNH) - Typical college town, which depending on your age and interests, can be a good or bad thing.

I believe most people here are familiar enough with Boston (BU, BC, Northeastern) and Amherst MA (UMass) not to need help.

Outside of Hockey East. Anyone going to Minneapolis? I actually like that city, though bar hopping downtown in January can be a bit chilly. The only thing in Glendale AZ is the football stadium and hockey arena. Tempe on the other hand does have a lot to do an it has some of the best moving scenery I have ever seen on a college campus.

Reaction Score
I agree that the entertainment options in Orono (U Maine) are limited as its basically Storrs, Maine. Now, while not UConn, the tournament that U Maine is hosting in Portland is a whole different story. I would Portland over Burlington VT ( U Vermont) any day. One point to add about Burlington, trying to find where the next delivery of Heady Topper will be is like an adult version of Where's Waldo.

Andover MA (Merrimack) is a large, high-end suburb. No much going on there. If you go, be careful if you have a foolish idea to visit the next town north - Lawrence. Its a rough town.

Lowell MA (UMass-Lowell) is an old mill town that has been saved (unlike Lawrence) via having a university in town and some political heavyweights (Tsongas) carrying it. There are a few things to do downtown in the strip between the baseball field, Tsongas arena, and downtown Lowell. There are some rougher spots though between downtown and I-495.

Providence RI - Go to the game, leave the game and escape to downtown as quickly as possible.

Durham NH (UNH) - Typical college town, which depending on your age and interests, can be a good or bad thing.

I believe most people here are familiar enough with Boston (BU, BC, Northeastern) and Amherst MA (UMass) not to need help.

Outside of Hockey East. Anyone going to Minneapolis? I actually like that city, though bar hopping downtown in January can be a bit chilly. The only thing in Glendale AZ is the football stadium and hockey arena. Tempe on the other hand does have a lot to do an it has some of the best moving scenery I have ever seen on a college campus.
Glendale has some bars over by the Bass pro Shops store. There is a whole little commercial village over there. We went there during there Fiesta bowl.

Reaction Score
Glendale has some bars over by the Bass pro Shops store. There is a whole little commercial village over there. We went there during there Fiesta bowl.

Thanks. Did not know that. if I can somehow swing a trip, would be staying in Scottsdale anyway as I have two friends who live there. Two friends who are way too friendly with tequila.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
Thanks. Did not know that. if I can somehow swing a trip, would be staying in Scottsdale anyway as I have two friends who live there. Two friends who are way too friendly with tequila.

Those aren't friends, they're heroes.

Reaction Score
Just a heads up

The NYC marathon is that day. It starts at 8:30 with the wheelchair division, pro women at 9:10, pro men at 9:40, and waves at 10:05, 10:30, and 10:55.

Miles 6-8 are near to the arena.

Probably will need to allocate some extra time if you are taking Metro North and the subway to the game.

In addition, the Islanders have a game at Barclays at 7:30.

Army vs. Bentley is at 11:15

UConn vs. Notre Dame is at 2:30

Islanders vs Buffalo is at 7:30

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just a heads up

The NYC marathon is that day. It starts at 8:30 with the wheelchair division, pro women at 9:10, pro men at 9:40, and waves at 10:05, 10:30, and 10:55.

Probably will need to allocate some extra time if you are taking Metro North and the subway to the game.

In addition, the Islanders have a game at Barclays at 7:30.

Army vs. Bentley is at 11:15

UConn vs. Notre Dame is at 2:30

Islanders vs Buffalo is at 7:30
That //islander/Sabers game may be a good dbl header

Reaction Score
Just a heads up

Thanks. Did not realize that myself. Last wave is at 10:55 and while the Marathon goes right by it, its at mile 8. The game is 4 hours after the last wave, so it should be clear by then. Thus, getting from downtown to Barclay's for the game should not be difficult. After the game, traffic maybe tight up around Grand Central and Central Park.

Reaction Score
Just got an email from TM. UCONN game is now @ 11:15 am
WTF....

Reaction Score
For those of you who want to have breakfast before the game...you can take the A train to Jay Street or the 4 to Borough Hall and walk up Flatbush Ave towards Barclay's Center...Junior's is right on the corner of Flatbush & Dekalb Ave and they have VERY good breakfast. From there it is a few blocks up to the Barclay's

Reaction Score
Army v Bentley is at 11:15

UConn v ND at 2:30

Same as it has always been

Reaction Score
Just got an email from TM. UCONN game is now @ 11:15 am
WTF....

I got the same message; but, the UConn website says 2:35 and the ND website says 2:05. I think TicketMaster was just updating the start time for the 'tournament,' which begins with the Army v. Bentley game, though both college's websites list a start time of 11:15. The only problem with the earlier slot is that the last wave of the NYC Marathon hit the Verrazano Bridge at 10:55 and Barclay's is right on the course at mile marker 8, which could be an issue.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
Double-header with Army-Bentley in game one and UConn-Notre Dame in game two.

Was looking for a good opportunity to check out Barclays.

Just picked up 6 in sec 108. Go Huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom