UConn vs. Merrimack (Friday 11/1/19 @ Lawler @ 7p & Sunday 11/3/19 @ XL @ 2:05p) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Merrimack (Friday 11/1/19 @ Lawler @ 7p & Sunday 11/3/19 @ XL @ 2:05p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Maybe they'd be better with real facilities. You aren't getting a better coach here until you do. You may even lose the one you have.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Maybe they'd be better with real facilities. You aren't getting a better coach here until you do. You may even lose the one you have.
I love this argument. When you say this, you mean bigger and better buildings will make players play better or coaches coach better. I don’t see it. The talent is here. The players know what they are getting into. The Players have to be coached better. Buildings don’t make that much of a difference. Does Merrimack have world class facilities? Not trying to be a here, but help me out. Remember AIC last year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love this argument. When you say this, you mean bigger and better buildings will make players play better or coaches coach better. I don’t see it. The talent is here. The players know what they are getting into. The Players have to be coached better. Buildings don’t make that much of a difference. Does Merrimack have world class facilities? Not trying to be a here, but help me out. Remember AIC last year?
Keep the faith, 4 freshman starting on D, you need talent and experience to win at this level.

Reaction Score
This isn't all true. Yes, it's true facilities won't make up for bad offensive scheming.

But I don't agree the talent is there. Cav is good at getting a few relatively top players on the roster, but the gaps are filled by guys who simply aren't talented. Consistently since they've joined the league, UConn's third and fourth line players are below standard for Hockey East players. That speaks to the ability to recruit, of which facilities play a major role. Cav clearly is able to get some quality players to come to his program, so you can't write it off as an inability to recruit that's causing the depth players to be so bad.

The program's success since joining HE is a combination of questionable coaching decisions and a very poor facility situation. The point a few posts above holds true, it'll be very difficult to attract a coach better than Cav with the current facility situation.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree about attracting a coach. There are probably a bunch of guys out there who are where Cav was who would jump at a head job. There just aren’t that many. In hockey coaching seems like more of a crap shoot than any other sport though. UMass gets their 4th or 5 th choice for a job NOBODY wanted and they go to the national finals. And an above average goalie can carry mediocre talent a long way. But the bottom line is there are only about 50 d1 jobs and maybe 35 “big time” jobs. And lots of guys who are in positions like Cav was at BC. One of them might be better.

Reaction Score
Do we have a list of recruiting class rankings for Cav over the last 5 years? I know a year or two ago his class got huge grades.
Its seems hes been bringing in more and more guys with NHL ties lately

Reaction Score
Was at Sunday's contest. Agree that power play scheming was atrocious. No snipers at the point. Front liners don't go to the net fast or often enough. Too much time wasted off of the penalty clock looking for the one PERFECT shot.
On an entirely different note: Sunday's game jerseys were outstanding. I overheard more than one fan ask: "Why don't they sell THOSE? I'd buy one in a heartbeat."

Reaction Score
Said it before, saying it again: ugly, embarrassing, girlie-man jerseys.

Reaction Score
Isn't it kind of powerplay 101 that if you have a big guy you have him camp out in front of the goalie to block his sight and get some tip-ins around the net? Was that not done on Sunday?

Reaction Score
Since the topic of the sweater came up.... Just my two cents, I don't mind a notion of wanting to change things up a bit or try something different. I am just not a fan of gray. Maybe if the blue faded to white, you know, the school colors I would think differently. the husky logo across the chest is great for home games.

Reaction Score
Since the topic of the sweater came up.... Just my two cents, I don't mind a notion of wanting to change things up a bit or try something different. I am just not a fan of gray. Maybe if the blue faded to white, you know, the school colors I would think differently. the husky logo across the chest is great for home games.

1573069191772.png

The jerseys were Blue and White, just so you know. The thing is that you couldn't really tell that with the way they made the jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom