UConn vs Maryland - '95 Sweet 16 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Maryland - '95 Sweet 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dogbreath's post on the 02 game had me looking for it on youtube when I came across this gem. the speed at which those teams back then got down the floor and scored after made and missed baskets was ridiculous.

Reaction Score
This is one of my favorite tourney games.

We were so good in this game.

One thing that always stayed with me was a shot of Maryland's star on the bench Joe Smith towards the end of the game looking like he just couldn't believe what he was seeing. Totally dismayed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dogbreath's post on the 02 game had me looking for it on youtube when I came across this gem. the speed at which those teams back then got down the floor and scored after made and missed baskets was ridiculous.

This game would make Bo Ryan weep.

I miss this kind of basketball.

Reaction Score
1995, 2002, and 2009. The 3 UConn teams that were playing at a level high enough to win it all in the tournament. Everyone mentions 2006 as our best but those other 3 teams would never have goofed around against George Mason. I don't think 2009 would have beaten UNC without Dyson and were off against Michigan State after a terrific first 4 games. But 1995 and 2002? 1995 wins it all if UCLA loses to Missouri. And if we had outlasted Maryland, nobody would have stopped Caron that was left. 1995 and 2002 lost close regional final highly skilled and played games against the eventual champion.

Last edited:

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
JC played so many players on that team....brought 'em in waves, it seemed. It was fun to see how well Donny Marshall was playing at that time. Nice contributions by a number of players...Hayward and Knight in the middle. JC was changing defenses over and over again. Boy, that team could run!

Reaction Score
So speaking of the '95 loss to UCLA, I ran into Jim Harrick at a beachside bar in Majorca, Spain on the 4th of July. We were on the same cruise. After he introduced himself, our conversation went like this.

BL: I'm a huge UConn fan and follower. I have three words for you.
JH: Yes?
BL: Toby duck*ing Bailey.

He laughed. Nice guy. And no, I didn't push him on any of the trouble he found with his son later in his career.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So speaking of the '95 loss to UCLA, I ran into Jim Harrick at a beachside bar in Majorca, Spain on the 4th of July. We were on the same cruise. After he introduced himself, our conversation went like this.

BL: I'm a huge UConn fan and follower. I have three words for you.
JH: Yes?
BL: Toby duck*ing Bailey.

He laughed. Nice guy. And no, I didn't push him on any of the trouble he found with his son later in his career.

I was on my first deployment with the Navy during the 1995 tourney run. When UConn beat Maryland the ship was in the middle of the Atlantic. Literally took two days to get the news that UConn won.

I think we were closer to the Azores or in the Med when UConn played UCLA. Watched that on the ship's TV.

Reaction Score
Wow. Remember when we used to switch defenses all the time? We created tons of turnovers, but didn't win it all until we became an almost exclusively man to man team.

Reaction Score
Wow. Remember when we used to switch defenses all the time? We created tons of turnovers, but didn't win it all until we became an almost exclusively man to man team.

Amazing how many different looks early on…..thinking the same thing Ex……the 1-3-1 look was a treat……...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom