UConn vs Louisville | The Boneyard

UConn vs Louisville

Reaction Score
I know it’s early, but can someone tell why a lot people think UConn is going to lose to Louisville when all we have to do is shut Durr and Hines-Allen down who combined for 67 points. We have players that can stop Durr and Hines-Allen. I predict Durr is going to jack up so many shots (volume shooter) and Hines-Allen will barley touch the ball due to Pheesa and Gabby.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure where you get your information, but I haven’t seen a single suggestion from anyone, including the HC of Louisville, saying that Louisville is going to beat UConn.

After Louisville demolished ND at home, Louisville HC Jeff Waltz was asked by reporters if Louisville should be #1. He responded “No. You don’t want to poke the bear.”

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I know it’s early, but can someone tell why a lot people think UConn is going to lose to Louisville when all we have to do is shut Durr and Hines-Allen down who combined for 67 points. We have players that can stop Durr and Hines-Allen. I predict Durr is going to jack up so many shots (volume shooter) and Hines-Allen will barley touch the ball due to Pheesa and Gabby.

Idk...Durr currently leads all division 1 players in 3 point percentage, ABOVE Lou and Kia. Maybe we get her to start throwing them up all game? I wouldn't want the nation's leading 3 point FG leader taking any threes!

Both Durr and MHA have an excellent shot, we won't stop them all. And they have other good shooters too.

Point is Louisville is a great shooting team. They had an amazing night against ND. Good for them. It won't happen against UCONN. If it does Geno will quit (I called it first)

Reaction Score
I'm sure someone wrote something of this kind prior to the Tx game. Uconn normally shuts down scorers--Uconn normally runs the legs off of opponents, normally out rebound, more points in the paint, more second chance points---is may be normal (outside of the AAC).
If you think about it---this uncertainty in OOC games make for a thrilling year. No more every game a 50 point boring win, only in the AAC.. A few years ago top 10 teams tried to load up on bigs--to counter the Stewies Uconn had---they've had time to learn and evolve--isn't this what all WBB fans asking for?\
Parity or something near that.

Reaction Score
Idk...Durr currently leads all division 1 players in 3 point percentage, ABOVE Lou and Kia. Maybe we get her to start throwing them up all game? I wouldn't want the nation's leading 3 point FG leader taking any threes!

Both Durr and MHA have an excellent shot, we won't stop them all. And they have other good shooters too.

Point is Louisville is a great shooting team. They had an amazing night against ND. Good for them. It won't happen against UCONN. If it does Geno will quit (I called it first)

Now as silly as your Geno comment is---it won't happen. If Geno were to quit over loss that would have happened the 6th time in a row ND beat Uconn.
Having said that I agree with all you say about Louisville, they can be beaten, but it will take effort---don't blow them off.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Have not heard "a lot of people" saying UConn is going to lose to Louisville. Immediately after Louisville's dismantling of ND, there were some TV Talking Heads who made the suggestion that Louisville was going to take some of UConn's #1 ranking votes...that did not happen. I'm sure most think the game will be a major battle, and some in the Country who might think Louisville can/could win...and still others who hope they will. I'm sure it's going to be an exciting game and fun to watch. But, IMHO I believe UConn matches up well vs Louisville...we have solid defenders who will quiet things down... AND, the game will be at home in Gampel Pavilion... I suspect the atmosphere will be highly charged, similar to what we saw in Austin last night. Our Gals will come out much more energized than they did last night... ready to protect the home turf (so to speak).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A few thoughts...

L'ville has never been ranked this high. They are a really solid team. It's more than just jacking up shots for Durr - Walz has been steadily improving the quality of players he's recruiting, and the results he's getting. UCONN played ND VERY close ultimately winning by 9. L'ville slaughtered ND. I mean, it was like watching a UCONN vs. any American Conference Team game - a 33 point smackdown.

Having said that, L'ville's 5 previous games were won by a COMBINED total of 36 points. That's an average MOV of just over 7 PPG. And they played Duke, Ga Tech, NC State, Va Tech and Air Force. It's not like L'ville has been blowing everyone out of the water.

I suspect in the ND game, L'ville played better than usual and ND worse than usual. UCONN has been a particularly BAD matchup for L'ville over the years. While our struggles against big, athletic teams was on full display in the Texas game, L'ville relies more on guard play, and a terrific forward in Hines-Allen. They start a 6'3" center (Feuhring) and bring in 6'4" Shook off the bench. Their freshman PG (Evens) is special, but she comes off the bench.

Durr, Hines-Allen, Feuhring, Arica Carter and Jazmine Jones round out the starting 5. I just don't think we are a good matchup for them. Everything they like to do (guard play, fast pace, etc), we do better, and aside from Durr, are more talented in every position. I'm looking forward to this game and don't believe L'ville can stay with us for a full 40 minutes. I really believe this will be at least a 20 point victory, and it could be way worse than that...

Reaction Score
Just an "aside" to this thread that made me laugh. After we beat TX Monday night UCWBB posted on Instagram. A Louisville fan commented under the post the usual trash talk, and then about how we "barely" beat ND, and that Louisville destroyed them and why don't we have the guts to play Louisville this year. I couldn't resist commenting back for he/she to check the upcoming schedule. So far there's been no response from this person..lol

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A few thoughts...

L'ville has never been ranked this high. They are a really solid team. It's more than just jacking up shots for Durr - Walz has been steadily improving the quality of players he's recruiting, and the results he's getting. UCONN played ND VERY close ultimately winning by 9. L'ville slaughtered ND. I mean, it was like watching a UCONN vs. any American Conference Team game - a 33 point smackdown.

Having said that, L'ville's 5 previous games were won by a COMBINED total of 36 points. That's an average MOV of just over 7 PPG. And they played Duke, Ga Tech, NC State, Va Tech and Air Force. It's not like L'ville has been blowing everyone out of the water.

I suspect in the ND game, L'ville played better than usual and ND worse than usual. UCONN has been a particularly BAD matchup for L'ville over the years. While our struggles against big, athletic teams was on full display in the Texas game, L'ville relies more on guard play, and a terrific forward in Hines-Allen. They start a 6'3" center (Feuhring) and bring in 6'4" Shook off the bench. Their freshman PG (Evens) is special, but she comes off the bench.

Durr, Hines-Allen, Feuhring, Arica Carter and Jazmine Jones round out the starting 5. I just don't think we are a good matchup for them. Everything they like to do (guard play, fast pace, etc), we do better, and aside from Durr, are more talented in every position. I'm looking forward to this game and don't believe L'ville can stay with us for a full 40 minutes. I really believe this will be at least a 20 point victory, and it could be way worse than that...
Great analysis. I also took a look at Louisville’s record. While the ND win was impressive and the OT win at tOSU was good, there were no other games that stood out in a way that would imply that Louisville was a dominant program. But they’re undefeated and that certainly says something.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't know what's going to happen. I'm just thankful we have this game on the schedule, and that Louisville has turned out to be as good as they are. It's a very important date on the calendar in the Huskies' journey to Columbus.

I suspect what will happen is we'll either blow them out by 25+, or we'll play down to their level as we have a tendency to do against other good teams, and then pour it on when and as needed sufficient to win the game. We have a bigger toolkit this year, and more confidence when deploying it, and I think the team will be fine.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great analysis. I also took a look at Louisville’s record. While the ND win was impressive and the OT win at tOSU was good, there were no other games that stood out in a way that would imply that Louisville was a dominant program. But they’re undefeated and that certainly says something.
With tOSU going down again at home by 9 to Michigan, I’m not as impressed as I was 40 minutes ago with Louisville’s win in Columbus.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts...

I think a UConn 18-20 point victory. L’Ville last few road games were bad.
Hines-Allen had the worst defense played against her all year fromND (Westbeld/Nelson). I’ve never seen Hines-Allen play that well. Collier and Williams are not Westbeld and Nelson. Their length will give Hines Allen fits. Dukes length blocked Hines Allen all night. Myisha is prone to turnovers if pressured. I didn’t see the Texas game but it sure indicates UConn may not be the beast they were last year. Nurse will do much better denying Asia. Asia is great but Nurses strength is denying the ball. ThoughIdid hear UConn had trouble with Texas guards. Carter and Jones won’t do much. If the Cards come within 10 UConn is not that good. UConn by 18+. I also thought ND would take L’Ville by 3+. L’ville fans were shocked the Cards didn’t lose focus and let ND back in the game. Cards always let up until they didn’t

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right now I'm more focused on the antecedent 8 games (including S. Carolina) before I start thinking about Louisville. Not saying that its a bad thing to look ahead but there's much that can transpire and things to work on obviously with this team as we go along until 2/12. I'll say though that if both teams are still undefeated when the time arrives, it will make for a epic big Monday 1 and 2 matchup.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
All I am going to say is, UConn will need to play their A+ game, which we haven't seen yet this year. UConn will need to rebound, hit layups as well as hit free throws. Azura do not need to shoot 3's. Azura need to stop playing lazy. Napheesa need to get her confidence back. She is up and down this season. Like Geno said, UConn need others to step up and contribute. They need a 8-9 player rotation.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All I am going to say is, UConn will need to play their A+ game, which we haven't seen yet this year. UConn will need to rebound, hit layups as well as hit free throws. Azura do not need to shoot 3's. Azura need to stop playing lazy. Napheesa need to get her confidence back. She is up and down this season. Like Geno said, UConn need others to step up and contribute. They need a 8-9 player rotation.

That is assuming Louisville brings their A+ game. At our house, super big assumption.

Reaction Score
Both teams matchups with ND played out differently but by no means should any fan base those results on their head to head matchup. In 2013 Louisville fans thought they would beat Uconn because the Cardinals beat Baylor and Britney Griner and the Huskies lost to the Bears. In the NC game it wasnt even close 93-60! Last time Louisville beat Uconn was 1993 over 800 games ago! I will bet a years salary Jeff Walz will not take Connecticut lightly!

Reaction Score
A few thoughts...

EricLa---really nice post, nice factoids,
I'm of the camp --Don't fear your opponent but respect their assets. Louisville has yet to be defeated--that says SOMETHING about them. Durr's very very high scoring games--says something about her (Im just not sure what that says, thats for you experts).
If you don't keep your eye on the bull or turn your back--you'll get the horns--meaning don't dismiss Louisville or under estimate their coach or players. You can bet Geno/Christine are not.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't know what's going to happen. I'm just thankful we have this game on the schedule, and that Louisville has turned out to be as good as they are. It's a very important date on the calendar in the Huskies' journey to Columbus.

I suspect what will happen is we'll either blow them out by 25+, or we'll play down to their level as we have a tendency to do against other good teams, and then pour it on when and as needed sufficient to win the game. We have a bigger toolkit this year, and more confidence when deploying it, and I think the team will be fine.

You just redeemed yourself ---you are a Canuck--fair and objective..

Reaction Score
Florida State this Sunday at The Yum is a huge game! Will be a great test for both teams. Pitt has beaten Walz a few times up in Pitt and taken L'ville to OT a couple years ago in Pitt. Thursday night Cards play in Pitt. I like Pitts coach but she has been decimated with the transfer bug

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Both teams matchups with ND played out differently but by no means should any fan base those results on their head to head matchup. In 2013 Louisville fans thought they would beat Uconn because the Cardinals beat Baylor and Britney Griner and the Huskies lost to the Bears. In the NC game it wasnt even close 93-60! Last time Louisville beat Uconn was 1993 over 800 games ago! I will bet a years salary Jeff Walz will not take Connecticut lightly!

And visa versa!! ;)

Reaction Score
That is assuming Louisville brings their A+ game. At our house, super big assumption.
If Louisville has a quick point guard that can drive the lane and control the ball/eliminate turnovers they have a chance, however low. Not concerned about their shooting but their game management.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts...

I like the comparison. Although, I hate having to hear about that game because it haunts me in my dreams. But it is a great point. Texas played one if not the best game of the year when they played UConn. Louisville played probably one of their best games of all time against BU that year. Same goes with the ND match up this season. I hope it will be a great game and not a blowout. If I am a betting man I would still put my money on UConn. A Louisville upset would create so much stir, but they need to match what they did against ND to beat UConn.

Reaction Score
I would respectfully suggest that for Louisville to upset UConn in Gampel on February 12, they will need to exceed their earlier performance at home vs a depleted ND team.

If they shoot like they did they will win. They could have shot with their back to the basket at the 3 point line and it would have gone in!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom