UCONN vs Iowa St Pregame | The Boneyard

UCONN vs Iowa St Pregame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like its gonna be a very tough game. Just quickly they have beaten some notable teams.

Wins against: Kansas, Kansas St(twice), Baylor, Texas.

Close losses against Missouri, Kansas...

Really only 1 blowout loss against Baylor by 15.

This is gonna be a close game probably won in the last 2 minutes...Hopefully more thoughtful analysis/discussion to come.

Reaction Score
Bad matchup for UCONN. They fire threes and they are good at doing it.

Winnable but not easy.

Reaction Score
Iowa State: 1 RPI top 100 win away from home (UConn has 5)
7 of ISU's wins were against sub-200 teams (UConn has 2)

All of their good wins, except KState, were at home. This is important.

Reaction Score
Iowa State plays small. They run their offense through their 6'8 big man. And they surround him with 3-4 guys who can make 3's. Perimeter defense will be key.

Reaction Score
I go to KU and have seen Iowa State play a ton. I do not have a good feeling about this team, they have two gaurds that can absolutely rain threes and Royce White is dominant inside. We will need to take him out of the game emotionally to win. White can get down on himself and their coach doesnt know how to get him to play hard. They gave KU a hard game in the Allen. I hope UCONN does not over look them, could be an early exit.

Reaction Score
don't like this matchup at all, will be very lucky to beat them.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Iowa St is made up of a bunch of major program washouts transfers. However, they've come back for a second chance and have performed well. As someone said, their AWAY record shows they are weak at times, however, this team is just as big of a challenge as Kentucky will be. Their ability to drain threes can easily build them a lead that will lead UConn to quit like normal.

Reaction Score
Kansashusky

Would Cincinnati with Yancy Gates be a pretty good comparison that we may be a little more familiar with?

Reaction Score
Giddyup5

In a way yes, Royce takes big guys outside too, which my fear is will get Alex in foul trouble early. They are a smaller team than cincy so we should win the boards, but we have trouble blocking out smaller teams i.e. Marquette. They are as talented at Cinci, but when they play well can beat anyone, and I mean anyone. We have to hope they come out cold and we have to break them early and get Royce out of the game mentally. Beatable by all means, but well coached and experienced.

Reaction Score
Iowa State plays small. They run their offense through their 6'8 big man. And they surround him with 3-4 guys who can make 3's. Perimeter defense will be key.

We need to go to Drummond, if we go to AD and our bigs we win

Reaction Score
4 of their top 6 scorers are guards and those 4 guards ave. 8 three's a game. We must guard the three line.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If Cincy is their comparable, then my.question is how's their rebounding?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I haven't seen ISU play, so I have no idea what they look like, but I'm not all that scared of teams that score a lot from 3, as I am against teams that can hurt you inside, offensive rebound AND score from outside. If they need to rain 3s to beat us, I like our chances of contesting the perimeter. Now if they are good at dribble penetration and then kicking it out for 3s, then that concerns me.

For those who have seen them play, how do they set up their 3s? Are they a driving threat or have enough of a post-up threat to draw us in and make us vulnerable recovering back outside?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Lost to Drake, Northern Iowa, Oklahoma State, and bubble team Texas. They have much more good wins than us, but none of them were on the road. 5 of their 6 top minute contributors shoot over 33% from 3, so our perimeter defense is going to be huge. We already know that we will have an advantage in the paint (top rebounder and scorer is 6'8 [and leads the team in assists] and average 3 blocks per game as a team), but we are not going to be able to play AO and AD at the same time. The 4 is going to have to be DD/RS.

Reaction Score
They play through their big man royce, he posts up then kicks it out. Also a lot of screens and motion offense.

Reaction Score
Lost to Drake, Northern Iowa, Oklahoma State, and bubble team Texas. They have much more good wins than us, but none of them were on the road. 5 of their 6 top minute contributors shoot over 33% from 3, so our perimeter defense is going to be huge. We already know that we will have an advantage in the paint (top rebounder and scorer is 6'8), but we are not going to be able to play AO and AD at the same time. The 4 is going to have to be DD/RS.

The minute distribution should be like this:

1 - Bazz (5), Boat (35)
2 - Bazz (30), Lamb (10)
3 - Lamb (25), Giff (10), DD (5)
4 - Roscoe (30), TO (10)
5 - AD (20), AO (20)

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score

1 - Bazz (5), Boat (35)
2 - Bazz (30), Lamb (10)
4 - Roscoe (30), TO (10)
5 - AD (20), AO (20)
DD is undeniably more athletic than TO, so I'd rather have DD on defense against their 4. Unless TO can show up and be an offensive threat (which he should against such a small team), I don't trust his speed on getting out to contest a 3

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

1 - Bazz (5), Boat (35)
2 - Bazz (30), Lamb (10)
4 - Roscoe (30), TO (10)
5 - AD (20), AO (20)

DD -5. Giff -5 Roscoe +10 at the 3
Roscoe -10 AO +10 at the 4

Looks good otherwise.

Reaction Score
I guess their football fans got the wish, I hope we can beat them after the fiasco they caused us during the football game.

Reaction Score
DD -5. Giff -5 Roscoe +10 at the 3
Roscoe -10 AO +10 at the 4

Looks good otherwise.

Hum...I didn't think about the defensive assignment challenge it will be, in that we won't be able to play much AD & AO together. I don't think it's a stretch to realize that this will be a very important game for Scoe. We need him to stay out of foul trouble so that he can cover that 4th perimeter player and to put up some reasonable points. Giffey will likely get some minutes at the 4 if Scoe doesn't get it done or when need needs some rest. I don't see this a good game for Olander.

Now if we impose our will compared to them over us, we might see AD and AO making them pay inside, but I don't see it going that way. Our guards Bazz, Boat and Lamb need to be able to be on the floor for a lot of the game.

Reaction Score
They had some good wins. Texas, Kansas, K St twice, Baylor and they also beat Prov. not a good win but that's the only BE team they played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom