UConn vs. Georgetown (2/27/1982)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeeeeeessssssss creepy musket Jonathan.
Providence wins in the creepy mascot category, though
Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 9.47.22 AM.png

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
tcf15 said:
Providence wins in the creepy mascot category, though
Looks like that Octavio dude performer who gets shot in the club during the failed hit on Tony in Scarface.

Reaction Score
Excellent, thanks.

The earlier game that year in G'town's tiny arena was a great game too. The fans were on Hobbs something awful, yelling HOOOBBBBBBBBBBS every time he touched the ball.

"Are fans disappointed by UConn's 18-8 record this year"?

This gives the lie to the idea that UConn was a doormat in the BE early years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The earlier game that year in G'town's tiny arena was a great game too. The fans were on Hobbs something awful, yelling HOOOBBBBBBBBBBS every time he touched the ball.
"Are fans disappointed by UConn's 18-8 record this year"?
This gives the lie to the idea that UConn was a doormat in the BE early years.

Saying "great game, too" doesn't quite capture that previous G'town game. It was probably Perno's greatest win as coach. UConn gave the Hoya's their worst loss of the season, winning by 9. That Georgetown team went to the final game and lost on the infamous Freddie Brown pass. That team should have made it to the Big Dance. Instead, they lost 7 out of their last 8 games. Simply pathetic. Were fans disappointed by UConn's 18-8 record that year? The ones that were paying attention were.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It confirms my memories of no one on the team besides Hobbs having any sort of handle.

Reaction Score
It confirms my memories of no one on the team besides Hobbs having any sort of handle.

Actually Corny was the 2nd best passer and ball handler in the starting lineup. Norm Bailey was scary with the ball in the half court set. Vern was decent coming off the bench as a ball handler but not at all a PG.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What about Vern Giscombe?
I watched the first 6 minutes or so, Giscombe wasn't on the floor yet. Of the starters, none but Hobbs could get around their defender. I remember our dorm used to call Hobbs and Giscombe the Turnover Twins.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Actually Corny was the 2nd best passer and ball handler in the starting lineup. Norm Bailey was scary with the ball in the half court set. Vern was decent coming off the bench as a ball handler but not at all a PG.
Corny was playing the 4, right? When you say Baily was scary with the ball, I hope you mean hopeless. Norm was great on leaking out for fastbreaks, though.

Reaction Score
I watched the first 6 minutes or so, Giscombe wasn't on the floor yet. Of the starters, none but Hobbs could get around their defender. I remember our dorm used to call Hobbs and Giscombe the Turnover Twins.

Surprised that Hobbs had that reputation. I seem to remember that teams pressed him and he was consummate in his ballhandling.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Thanks for uploading. It's nice to see that others remember this era. Some memories:

We started off so strong and were ranked that year - in an age when we win championships with amazing regularity, imagine being on cloud nine just because you break into the top 20. (No top 25 back then, right? Top 20?) And you had to wait for the newspaper to find out. Get off my lawn.

Excited about the game? You turn on the TV at around 11:20 p.m. and skip from channel to channel, trying to catch the highlights on all three local news broadcasts. I swear to god, get off my lawn. I will call the police.

Waquoit is right on about the team being ultimately disappointing. The collapse at the end of the year was brutal. Then we flamed out in the NIT.

Stormin' Norman Bailey. Not the greatest player but one of the best dunkers, in a time when we just didn't dunk that much.

Corny Thompson. Oh my, what Calhoun could have done with that talent.

The backcourt was tiny. Giscombe wasn't much taller than Hobbs. One reporter from another team saw them in warm-ups and said, "What is this, a casting call for the Gary Coleman story?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom