UConn vs. FSU - Travel Help/Suggestions? | The Boneyard

UConn vs. FSU - Travel Help/Suggestions?

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
My wife and I are starting to put together our plans to fly out for the FSU game in Newark, but I wanted to see if there were any recommendations from people familiar with the area before I start setting plans in stone.

Due to our work schedules, we're likely just going to be flying into Newark on Saturday morning from Pittsburgh, staying for the game, and then heading home on Sunday. I'm a Hilton Honors member so I booked the Hilton Penn Station for the night right by the Prudential Center...is that a decent area? Is there anything to do around the arena as far as bars/restaurants? A buddy is trying to sell me on hopping on the train into the city for the day to pregame and then heading back out for the game...is that worth it?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction Score
don't even think about newark as a fun place in fact its quite boring and not worth the danger that place is... i would definitely take the 15 minute train ride from NEWARK penn to New york Penn and then come back its not that bad of a train ride. but yeah, newark is a joke and i live close enough to tell you it is. have your fun in NYC and only have the basketball game be your fun in Newark.

Reaction Score
Ironbound still has some good spots, but outside of a single meal, NYC is the way to go, forget staying in Newark.

Reaction Score
What these guys said...DON"T stay in Newark. You can take the train from EWR to Penn Station in NYC and back to Penn Station Newark. Having dinner in the Ironbound is fine, but for a short trip, I'd rather eat in NYC

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My wife and I are starting to put together our plans to fly out for the FSU game in Newark, but I wanted to see if there were any recommendations from people familiar with the area before I start setting plans in stone.

Due to our work schedules, we're likely just going to be flying into Newark on Saturday morning from Pittsburgh, staying for the game, and then heading home on Sunday. I'm a Hilton Honors member so I booked the Hilton Penn Station for the night right by the Prudential Center...is that a decent area? Is there anything to do around the arena as far as bars/restaurants? A buddy is trying to sell me on hopping on the train into the city for the day to pregame and then heading back out for the game...is that worth it?

Thanks for the help!
There are plenty of very nice restaurants just a short walk (or shorter cab ride, if you prefer) from your hotel. Just past Penn Station is the Ironbound District. It has a number of very good Portuguese/Spanish restaurants. Just a few minutes walk up Ferry Street will take you to my personal favorite, Fornos of Spain.
upload_2018-7-11_9-53-23.png

Everything on the Menu is very good. A favorite for my family is Veal Siciliano but the veal chops and paellas are very good as well. The sangria is delicious and deceptively strong. It's worth considering.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@Pgh2Storrs Unless the game is a late tip, it's going to be a tight squeeze to take your flight, get to the hotel, take a train to the city, hang out, take the train back to Newark, and get to the game. You're going to be running around and checking train schedules the whole day.

In my opinion, I would grab food at Spanish Tavern - Home Page near by Newark Penn before the game, and then head to the city afterwards to celebrate the win.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The W in Hoboken, between NYC & Newark with majestic views of the city and great vibe of it's own

Short walk to the trains

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Planning on driving down for this game and staying in Newark as well

Reaction Score
The W in Hoboken, between NYC & Newark with majestic views of the city and great vibe of it's own

Short walk to the trains

This is the best suggestion yet IMO (even my earlier one) ....a very short Uber ride from Hoboken to Newark. Easier and less hectic than going to NYC...Hoboken is a very fun town with great restaurants, good bars and shops and the best view of NYC along the river.

Reaction Score

Short walk to the trains

Used to live in Hoboken, this is a great suggestion. There is a TON to do in town (more food / drinking options then you will know what to do with). Trains will run from the hoboken train station which is a quick walk to the W (path will run directly to newark and you can walk through the prudential building to get to the prudential center and is something like $2.50 each way).

Reaction Score
Used to live in Hoboken, this is a great suggestion. There is a TON to do in town (more food / drinking options then you will know what to do with). Trains will run from the hoboken train station which is a quick walk to the W (path will run directly to newark and you can walk through the prudential building to get to the prudential center and is something like $2.50 each way).

The path train from Hoboken to Newark requires you to transfer at grove st or journal sq.....and is a very slow trip...I did it once..and never again..Agree with your points otherwise but I think Uber is a MUCH easier way to get there...especially on the weekend.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I really appreciate all the help, guys. Thank you very much.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards Hoboken but we'll see what the wife says. It seems like it's an easy Uber ride to/from the airport and to/from the arena. My buddy lives in Manhattan so I'd like to shoot over and do the pre-gaming over there so he quits whining that I never make it out.

It'd be helpful if they'd release when tipoff for our game is going to be...I'm hoping it's the late game, but the verbiage in the press release makes it sound as if we might be first on the bill.

Reaction Score
The path train from Hoboken to Newark requires you to transfer at grove st or journal sq.....and is a very slow trip...I did it once..and never again..Agree with your points otherwise but I think Uber is a MUCH easier way to get there...especially on the weekend.
Yeah - it's a bit of a pain. I've done it for Devils games and other events at the prudential center. But I'd usually opt for the cheap transit on the way there and then use Uber / Lyft on the way back.

Reaction Score
Fornos and Iberian Peninsular in Ironbound (opposite side of Penn Station / tracks from Pru) are good and ~3 blocks closer to Pru than Spanish Tavern. Don Pepe on Pru side of tracks is good.

Hilton near Penn Station looks good, but never went inside, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
btw, just looked at the Pru ticket website. Does it look like a LOT of seats are already sold??

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Dinosaur BBQ right outside of the Prudential center and is a pretty good spot
Dinosaur BBQ? Did they start a chain? I recall the one in Syracuse.

Reaction Score
btw, just looked at the Pru ticket website. Does it look like a LOT of seats are already sold??
Usually the schools get a good chunk of allotted seats which are courtside in the lowers/sometimes upper deck. This makes it look like its almost sold out but in reality they are just reserved.

Reaction Score
Dinosaur BBQ is awesome. And great beer selection. My son plays his home hockey games at Pru and the dads always congregate at the Dino. Only problem on game night is no reservations. If you don't get there at least 1.5 hrs before game starts, forget it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom