UConn vs. Duke game thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Duke game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
So it wasn't absolutely perfection but it was never in doubt.
Funny that the D was a little suspect.
So who's going to give this team a game?
Notre Dame and our friends at UTenn look like the only conceivable candidates
And I wouldn't hold my breath.
I just read on the ESPN board that ND will kill UConn. :rolleyes:

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I thought that was funny, but so true. Seems like she gets open a lot. Guess that's what happens when everyone is focused on covering Stewart. Teams seem to lose Mosqueda-Lewis in that corner and she's automatic from there.
The UConn ball rotation is so exceptional it causes teams to look foolish, when in fact, there's little they can actually do about it. Pick your poison.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
He apparently didn't see the previous two games she played against UCONN.

I got it the first time Ice.
The problem is size, athleticism and the trio that we can send at her.
just doesn't work, never will.
For me the other D standout was Mo, who made Jones disappear.

Reaction Score
UConn, you have the lead. Why is there so many forced plays????? It's on the border of crazy. It reminds me of the Dallas Cowboys who had a 23 point lead and instead of playing within themselves, they tried to increase the lead causing turnover after turnover and resulting in Green Bay winning a really ridicul
Maybe Duke is just a good team. Man - people really expected a 30 point blowout? This is not Ohio State UCONN is playing. It's the #2 team in the nation.
UConn had to play really sloppily in the last few minutes of the first half and in a ten minute period(approximately the 17 minute part of the second half to the 7 minute part of the second half) to keep the game close because the only Huskie playing well in that time period was KML. There were forced shots with plenty drives with plenty of time on the clock, lousy entry passes that were easily intercepted and defensive breakdowns though obviously there were also a few moments of good Duke play. It did have a lot more to do with UConn playing poorly and yet we ended up winning by 22 points.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Other than a handful of bad decisions on passes, UC just slapped down the #2 team and did it on the road. Much to like about the game tonight. Post defense and rebounding was very good, and the speed of ball movement was excellent. The reason so many arc shots were open for UConn was that the Dukies were still chasing the previous pass or two. KML looked great, and MoJeff jump started the whole thing. Sure, there are things to get corrected before Sunday. But does anyone really think that won't get done?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I got it the first time Ice.
The problem is size, athleticism and the trio that we can send at her.
just doesn't work, never will.
For me the other D standout was Mo, who made Jones disappear.

And Mo got a big hug from Geno at the end :)

Reaction Score
Can't believe we are up 20 and people are complaining.
I think a lot of us have a little Geno in us. We're expecting the girls to focus on play after play after play and although occasionally have a misplay, never to follow up a poor play or decision, with another. We saw UConn have a SERIES of bad plays toward the end of the first half and a series of consecutive poor offensive and defensive series midway through the second half. Do you think these kids are not going to be made aware of these by Geno? My guess is he's not going to even have to tell them what they did wrong, they're going to tell him what they're going to do to eliminate some of these mistakes. UConn girls never play to the score, they play to THEMSELVES and although they're very happy with the win, I can guarantee you they're not happy with some of theirmistakes during the course of the game.

Reaction Score
Other than a handful of bad decisions on passes, UC just slapped down the #2 team and did it on the road. Much to like about the game tonight. Post defense and rebounding was very good, and the speed of ball movement was excellent. The reason so many arc shots were open for UConn was that the Dukies were still chasing the previous pass or two. KML looked great, and MoJeff jump started the whole thing. Sure, there are things to get corrected before Sunday. But does anyone really think that won't get done?
I've been rather critical of the game (at least parts of it) and I think, in retrospect that because the Huskies started out playing so really well that it almost looked like they hadn't had any time off. I guess it caught up with some sloppiness during the game and particularly in the second half but it's probably only human nature. That's why it's only fair to point out there was an awful lot of stellar play by Steffi, Breanna, Moriah and particularly KML. I wanted to emphasize that, as well, as I'm sure Geno will. As you've mentioned, there's some work to be done but overall a pretty good, though not great performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But somebody always steps up. Stef fighting for that shot under the basket, KML shooting threes. Somebody.
You are so right about UConn's tenacity. Even though they went through a reasonably long period of poor or sloppy play, there was always someone (more often KML) that made a shot or ripped off a rebound or stole a ball to help right the ship. That's what great teams do. Tonight, maybe not quite that great.

Reaction Score
It is much more about UCONN than Duke. I was concerned about coming off exams.
I have to concede that though the first ten or fifteen minutes disguised it, you're exactly right that it had a lot to do with some of the sloppiness and some of the decisions that they made. To win convincingly despite some very poor moments is pretty nice. I know Geno will have them operating more efficiently very quickly.

Reaction Score
I've been rather critical of the game (at least parts of it) and I think, in retrospect that because the Huskies started out playing so really well that it almost looked like they hadn't had any time off. I guess it caught up with some sloppiness during the game and particularly in the second half but it's probably only human nature. That's why it's only fair to point out there was an awful lot of stellar play by Steffi, Breanna, Moriah and particularly KML. I wanted to emphasize that, as well, as I'm sure Geno will. As you've mentioned, there's some work to be done but overall a pretty good, though not great performance.
The scary thing about this team though is no one has seen what it is fully capable of. This is just the third game of the year that the team had everyone available. Consider how absurd that is based on how the team has looked for the first month and a half without their 6th woman and a former #1 recruit that just happens to be the sharpest shooter in the country. Mosqueda-Lewis playing in her first game in a month needing to knock the rust off comes into a #1 vs. #2 matchup on the road and knocks in a career high number of 3 pointers looking like she hadn't missed a game. Definitely surprised how good she looked and how many minutes she played. This is one of the most well rounded WCBB teams I've ever seen in terms of skill set and interchangeability. You want speed? UConn has Jefferson, Chong, Hartley, and Banks. Need size? There's Stokes, Stewart, and Dolson. Shooters? How about 3/4 of the team being 3-pt threats including two of the three bigs? The hard part of the schedule is over, so get ready for some ugly conference match ups.

Reaction Score
It happens when you play another really good team.
I just wanted to say UConn has played some pretty stellar competition early and yet yesterday there were more flagrant open shots than I've seen in forever. I do have to concede coming off of break and working two players back into the rotation might have contributed. I'm only comparing yesterday with UCONN team defenses which doesn't necessarily mean they were awful, just bad by UConn standards.

Reaction Score
UCONN must be down by 20 !!!! 'Never seen the defense play so poorly and totally out of control on offense". Comment on UCONN's good plays (there are many) and let's put the bad ones in perspective
If I was talking about some other team but I'm only comparing UConn to UConn standards. By their standards, they had moments where they were dreadful although thankfully my comments pertained to the last few minutes of the first half and a ten minute portion of the second half.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I just wanted to say UConn has played some pretty stellar competition early and yet yesterday there were more flagrant open shots than I've seen in forever. I do have to concede coming off of break and working two players back into the rotation might have contributed. I'm only comparing yesterday with UCONN team defenses which doesn't necessarily mean they were awful, just bad by UConn standards.
If I was talking about some other team but I'm only comparing UConn to UConn standards. By their standards, they had moments where they were dreadful although thankfully my comments pertained to the last few minutes of the first half and a ten minute portion of the second half.
This is getting tiresome.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32