UCONN vs. Depaul - the good/bad/ugly | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. Depaul - the good/bad/ugly

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So I had a chance to watch the entire game. What an absolute beatdown. UCONN is simply a horrible matchup for Depaul. Everything they like to do, we do better, and their game style plays right into our hands. Depaul is relentless on defense and it seemed that 90-95% of the time, UCONN's passing and play was very crisp and in control.

One thing that really stood out to me was that no matter how intense Depaul's defense was, UCONN continued to move (motion offense) and more often than not, finally got Depaul out of position for a point blank layup or wide open 3. It was beautiful to watch.34 assists on 41 made baskets? :eek: WOW!!!

Yes we had 24 TO's - 7 by Gabby, but given the intensity of Depaul's defense, the TO's did not bother me one bit (Geno may feel differently). Yes there were some silly unforced TO's (Gabby's TERRIFIC pass right to the UCONN bench where no other players were within 10 feet), but it's early December. For our offense to be that precise in the face of 40 minutes of full court pressure defense is pretty good IMHO.

Crystal - she was my POG. I realize KLS scored more, but in the face of relentless pressure, Crystal had only 2 TO's and 9 assists. Her scoring is really good (especially 3 point shooting). Her defense is solid. But the way she runs the team, in control, is otherworldly. IMHO (and this may be controversial because I have no empirical evidence - just my gut impression), she's a better ALL AROUND player than Moriah Jefferson was at the same time in Mo's sophomore season. I am SO absolutely comfortable with the ball in Crystal's hands, and even at her fastest pace, she's literally in control 100% of the time.

Lou - so great to see her back and feeling 100%. She is such a team leader and she does it from EVERYWHERE on the floor. Offense, defense, interior, perimeter, you name it. She's turned into a complete basketball player, and it's a joy to see.

Napheesa - she is the most quiet assassin I've ever seen at UCONN. You don't notice her on the court, then you look up and she has gotten herself open for a layup, or blocked a shot, or set a great screen, or grabbed a rebound. Well... maybe you do notice her on the court because she does a bit of everything and does it extremely well. She reminds me of Tuck - only better. Always plays within herself, never tries to do too much, but does it all just so darn well.

Gabby - rather quiet first half. But in the 3rd quarter especially, ALL her gifts were on fully display. I found myself smiling every time she was involved in a play. Great movement on offense, both with and without the ball, monster on defense, rebounding, passing, dribbling... She almost had a quadruple double - 11 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists, 7 turnovers. I've said it before - she came to UCONN an Olympic caliber athlete. She's turned herself into an elite basketball player.

Azura - There are things she can do that no one else can. The ally-oops - I absolutely love her game when she's on defense or playing in the post. IMHO she should never take another 3-point shot or roam around the perimeter again, but I realize in practice she's capable of knocking down those shots. Still, given our motion offense, she's just terrific and can draw post defenders out to create mismatches inside.

Nurse - quiet game for her but like Collier, ALWAYS plays within herself. I remember she used to drive to the basket out of control and cause problems for her that way. No more. She is so solid in every way.

Walker - not a great game scoring wise but her ally-oop shows her potential. Her defense was solid and she still makes freshman mistakes, but she's GETTING it little by little. Love her upside.

Irwin - the lone bright spot from the reserves. When she was in with 3 or 4 starters, she had nice assist, great move to the basket for a back door, and played solid defense.

Camara - so great to see her out there. Moved well. Hard to make any judgements yet, but you go girl! She must be thrilled to be healthy enough to play. I think we will see a lot more from her.

Andi and Molly... They made the trip. I got nothing else...

Overall an incredible game to watch. Blowout? Yes. Incredible game with our brand of basketball on full display? YEP!! Go UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
In the original post, EricLA mentioned "Gabby - rather quiet first half."

Gabby has had quiet offensive games in part because she is option #5 when UConn is is in half court offense read and react mode.

When the Huskies have shooters that get insanely hot like KLS 10-10, Kia 8-8, or Crystal 5-6, it makes sense to get them the basketball when they are open.

Gabby cannot post up down low when Pheesa or Azura are there. So in the half court offense, Gabby's strengths are slashing for a left handed layup - if the lane is not clogged - or shooting at the elbow.

Hopefully she can get more steals and break away layups as the season progresses. And if both Pheesa and Azura get into foul trouble in the same game, Geno might put Gabby in the low post.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eric - agree about Irwin and glad you highlighted it. Even during that nightmare final four minutes she was a steadying influence.

It was the first time I have watched Camara (don't remember any of her KY play) so I was impressed with her movement and athleticism. Hope she is now good to go for the rest of the year and gets some time with the starters.

One more point on Lou - she was so solid handling the ball and helping bring it up to the half court. The combination of her height and ball handling is great against pressure. The only player with ZERO turnovers other than Camara.

Gabby has always been a little loose with the ball, but she has racked up a few 'unacceptable' games this year in the turnover column. Some of it may be the migraines and some may have to do with stamina. I thought she became sloppy in the second quarter last night and Geno pulled her for a rest because she was running on empty.

Reaction Score

Gabby has had quiet offensive games in part because she is option #5 when UConn is is in half court offense read and react mode.

When the Huskies have shooters that get insanely hot like KLS 10-10, Kia 8-8, or Crystal 5-6, it makes sense to get them the basketball when they are open.

Gabby cannot post up down low when Pheesa or Azura are there. So in the half court offense, Gabby's strengths are slashing for a left handed layup - if the lane is not clogged - or shooting at the elbow.

Hopefully she can get more steals and break away layups as the season progresses. And if both Pheesa and Azura get into foul trouble in the same game, Geno might put Gabby in the low post.

I thought the second half(mainly 3rd quarter) was the best basketball Williams has played all year. She was aggressive in taking the ball to the rim and looked to have gained some confidence back. The TOs are a little alarming but the majority of them are her just trying too hard to make a play that is not there. As the season goes on I think she will relax a little bit and get back to being the player that we know she is. I look for her build off the second half against Depaul and have a big game next time out.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
1. I agree with all the positive about Batouly except how healthy she looked. My guess is that knee is about 65% of what she would like it to be. Can wait to find out what her best position is. My guess is 4, but was unrealistically hoping it would be 5.

2. I am less optimistic than most about Coombs and Gordon. I know it seems inappropriate to question anything Geno does given his record but it makes me wonder why he can't give those kids more run when they are up be 40. The patience and thick skin needed to play for Geno must be substantial.

3. It seems to me that Collier is missing an inordinate amount of wide open shots this year. She is still a monster on the boards though, especially the offensive end.

4. When are teams going to realize that you can't leave Nurse wide open? She cooled off from 3 in the second half but teams have to at least start running someone at her.

5. I have been an admitted bandwagon Huskie fan for three years (I live in Ohio). I still can not get used to the relentless commitment to unselfish play. More and more teams are trying to make the extra pass like UCONN does but with not near the consistency or effectiveness.

Reaction Score
So I had a chance to watch the entire game. What an absolute beatdown. UCONN is simply a horrible matchup for Depaul. Everything they like to do, we do better, and their game style plays right into our hands. Depaul is relentless on defense and it seemed that 90-95% of the time, UCONN's passing and play was very crisp and in control.

One thing that really stood out to me was that no matter how intense Depaul's defense was, UCONN continued to move (motion offense) and more often than not, finally got Depaul out of position for a point blank layup or wide open 3. It was beautiful to watch.34 assists on 41 made baskets? :eek: WOW!!!

Yes we had 24 TO's - 7 by Gabby, but given the intensity of Depaul's defense, the TO's did not bother me one bit (Geno may feel differently). Yes there were some silly unforced TO's (Gabby's TERRIFIC pass right to the UCONN bench where no other players were within 10 feet), but it's early December. For our offense to be that precise in the face of 40 minutes of full court pressure defense is pretty good IMHO.

Crystal - she was my POG. I realize KLS scored more, but in the face of relentless pressure, Crystal had only 2 TO's and 9 assists. Her scoring is really good (especially 3 point shooting). Her defense is solid. But the way she runs the team, in control, is otherworldly. IMHO (and this may be controversial because I have no empirical evidence - just my gut impression), she's a better ALL AROUND player than Moriah Jefferson was at the same time in Mo's sophomore season. I am SO absolutely comfortable with the ball in Crystal's hands, and even at her fastest pace, she's literally in control 100% of the time.

Lou - so great to see her back and feeling 100%. She is such a team leader and she does it from EVERYWHERE on the floor. Offense, defense, interior, perimeter, you name it. She's turned into a complete basketball player, and it's a joy to see.

Napheesa - she is the most quiet assassin I've ever seen at UCONN. You don't notice her on the court, then you look up and she has gotten herself open for a layup, or blocked a shot, or set a great screen, or grabbed a rebound. Well... maybe you do notice her on the court because she does a bit of everything and does it extremely well. She reminds me of Tuck - only better. Always plays within herself, never tries to do too much, but does it all just so darn well.

Gabby - rather quiet first half. But in the 3rd quarter especially, ALL her gifts were on fully display. I found myself smiling every time she was involved in a play. Great movement on offense, both with and without the ball, monster on defense, rebounding, passing, dribbling... She almost had a quadruple double - 11 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists, 7 turnovers. I've said it before - she came to UCONN an Olympic caliber athlete. She's turned herself into an elite basketball player.

Azura - There are things she can do that no one else can. The ally-oops - I absolutely love her game when she's on defense or playing in the post. IMHO she should never take another 3-point shot or roam around the perimeter again, but I realize in practice she's capable of knocking down those shots. Still, given our motion offense, she's just terrific and can draw post defenders out to create mismatches inside.

Nurse - quiet game for her but like Collier, ALWAYS plays within herself. I remember she used to drive to the basket out of control and cause problems for her that way. No more. She is so solid in every way.

Walker - not a great game scoring wise but her ally-oop shows her potential. Her defense was solid and she still makes freshman mistakes, but she's GETTING it little by little. Love her upside.

Irwin - the lone bright spot from the reserves. When she was in with 3 or 4 starters, she had nice assist, great move to the basket for a back door, and played solid defense.

Camara - so great to see her out there. Moved well. Hard to make any judgements yet, but you go girl! She must be thrilled to be healthy enough to play. I think we will see a lot more from her.

Andi and Molly... They made the trip. I got nothing else...

Overall an incredible game to watch. Blowout? Yes. Incredible game with our brand of basketball on full display? YEP!! Go UCONN!!!
Terrific post. Thanks Eric

Reaction Score
This is the most fun and enjoyable game until the last 4 mins of the 4th Q.
The benchers made so many mistakes that I only wish the game can be finished ASAP.
I will suggest Geno: put 2 starters + 3 benchers in the 2nd half if you know you will win the game, not all benchers in the court.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The benchers made so many mistakes that I only wish the game can be finished ASAP.
I will suggest Geno: put 2 starters + 3 benchers in the 2nd half if you know you will win the game, not all benchers in the court.
That's an excellent point. Kyla was in there with 3 or 4 starters when she first got off the bench. Her play was part of the flow and she fit in well. I'm not sure how Molly or Andi would look if they were the only reserve on the floor with 3 or 4 starters...

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
That's an excellent point. Kyla was in there with 3 or 4 starters when she first got off the bench. Her play was part of the flow and she fit in well. I'm not sure how Molly or Andi would look if they were the only reserve on the floor with 3 or 4 starters...
I would love to see Molly get extended time with the starters. One good sign from her is she did try to take the ball to the hoop, making one. Can't help wondering if Geno was yelling at her to "take her."

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yes we had 24 TO's - 7 by Gabby, but given the intensity of Depaul's defense, the TO's did not bother me one bit (Geno may feel differently).

Will 24 TOs bother you when UCONN faces MMST's smoothering defense?

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the first half all over again. One thing that struck me as the "Keys to the Game" for UConn was free throws? I'm assuming FS1 was thinking this game was going to be a close one.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Good post. Welcome to the yard Night Witches.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Great job, EricLA.

You watched the game much more closely than I did.

I`m seeing them going up and down, us going up and down, them substituting five at a time, threes flying everywhere, passes to players on the bench, and they are full court pressing until the end. Hectic! I`m listening to a couple of announcers who are (successfully) doing their best to distract me from what was happening on the court.

I`m focusing mainly on Lou staying upright, and getting up off the deck without issue. I also sense that Napheesa seems to be running and playing freer than I have seen her all year, and wonder whether that is the case. Somehow I notice that Batouly enters the game, and I am thrilled.

I look at the score midway through the fourth, and to my surprise we are up 50. So, maybe that`s a testament to how good we are.

Reaction Score
I guess the bench players don't get many repetitions as a group as it's clear that they are confused a lot of times on defense and offense. The problem is that Geno wants to give as much time together for the top 7 (and hopefully BC) will be 8 so the bench players get very few minutes and it's harder for them to develop.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One other thing I forgot to mention - We had NO starters on the floor for what - the last 3.5-4 minutes? And Depaul continued to press until the end? If it were any other coach, I suspect people would be on here going on about "classless". Even with the shot clock off and less than 10 seconds left on their last possession, Depaul gets the ball and chucks up another 3-point shot.

What if it were Frese or McCallie or Stringer or some other coach who has taken heat from UCONN fans? Why does Bruno get a pass for pulling that kind of stunt in a game against us?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
One other thing I forgot to mention - We had NO starters on the floor for what - the last 3.5-4 minutes? And Depaul continued to press until the end?

Why does Bruno get a pass for pulling that kind of stunt in a game against us?

Because........................................

BFFs?

dg.jpg

Reaction Score
Because..........

BFFs?

View attachment 26831

It didn't matter that he did this. I think Md did the same too. If a team thinks they can grow by getting wiped out then the same should apply that if they wipe out lesser players, then those player can grow too. They don't feel bad getting blitzed by UCONN overall. So why should they feel bad for blitzing UCONN for 3-4 minutes?

Reaction Score
One other thing I forgot to mention - We had NO starters on the floor for what - the last 3.5-4 minutes? And Depaul continued to press until the end? If it were any other coach, I suspect people would be on here going on about "classless". Even with the shot clock off and less than 10 seconds left on their last possession, Depaul gets the ball and chucks up another 3-point shot.

What if it were Frese or McCallie or Stringer or some other coach who has taken heat from UCONN fans? Why does Bruno get a pass for pulling that kind of stunt in a game against us?

I did kind of feel sorry for the bench players, but I've always said "if you don't like getting beat so bad then get better" Maybe this is the only way they'll learn how to handle the press and Depaul taking it easy on them does them no favor.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Boy, are you correct! From the best in the country to the worst????

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I saw only the replay (scouting talent of the musical kind, myself yesterday).

When we defended the 3-point line, reasonable effectively, with our training, effort superior speed and athleticism and broke their double and triple teams with passes to open posts, the game was over and actually I would have thought that Doug might have had a plan B.

That our younger players seemed not to respond very well to the above tactics is actually a favor to Geno rather than unsportsmanly behavior as it allows Geno to see what he has (or doesn't). I'm sure Geno didn't mind Doug's front line demolishing our second (in principal anyway).

I'm afraid, for me the game was a variation of half full/half empty...lets say mostly full...or 75% full...On the minus side: Gabby throwing the ball away so many times.
Pheesa still not quite as confident as last year...that's two, All-Americans... In a tight game, like last week, it might result in some difficulties...

But heck...we have so, so many all-American types out there...it's almost unfair.

Reaction Score

As Huskee11 said: BFF's. They planned it all out the night before over a bottle of 1996 Giacomo Conterno Barolo and La Flor Dominicana Andalusian Bull cigars: If UConn gets up 50, Doug's starters get to work it down against Geno's scrubs. Wagers may have been involved.

Reaction Score
Maybe it was just my old eyes (and terrible memory), but seemed to me I saw more UConn bounce passes in the first quarter than in a usual game?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Doug is a classy guy. I would say it is because DePaul ALWAYS plays that way, all 40 minutes of every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom