UCONN vs. Depaul - the good/bad/ugly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN vs. Depaul - the good/bad/ugly

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ok cool. I was just curious what the rest of the BY thought. Keep this in mind the next time we play a solid team who throws all kinds of craziness at us the last 5 minutes and cuts the lead from 35 to 18! ;)

Reaction Score
Doug is a classy guy. I would say it is because DePaul ALWAYS plays that way, all 40 minutes of every game.

As do we with the exception of those last few seconds. Pressing and bombing is a Bruno trademark team, any less would be, well, less.

Reaction Score
Napheesa better than Morgan Tuck? When she starts guarding the other team's center every game, then I'll agree.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok cool. I was just curious what the rest of the BY thought. Keep this in mind the next time we play a solid team who throws all kinds of craziness at us the last 5 minutes and cuts the lead from 35 to 18! ;)
The point is that DePaul plays 40 minutes of craziness. If we play a team that doesn't press all game long, but then decides to press against our subs in the last 5 minutes, I'll be pi$$ed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The point is that DePaul plays 40 minutes of craziness. If we play a team that doesn't press all game long, but then decides to press against our subs in the last 5 minutes, I'll be pi$$ed.
I totally disagree. Unless a team is physically incapable of playing any other way, to use the excuse of "but it's what we do for 40 minutes" is a bogus argument. It's called "calling off the dogs". Rutgers used to press for most of the game, and fans would bonkers if Stringer didn't call it off the last 4-6 minutes of a blowout game.

Reaction Score
I totally disagree. Unless a team is physically incapable of playing any other way, to use the excuse of "but it's what we do for 40 minutes" is a bogus argument. It's called "calling off the dogs". Rutgers used to press for most of the game, and fans would bonkers if Stringer didn't call it off the last 4-6 minutes of a blowout game.

I'm with milford and anyone else that was okay with what DePaul did. A team like DePaul knows they are going to get thumped. They say "we still are going to play the same way," then all of a sudden because UCONN chooses to let up, that DePaul whose style is to never let up - they have to change because "UCONN says so?" For DePaul the fact they even scheduled the game tells us that they don't give a damn about the score. They know they are going to get wiped out. Bruno is playing a style in which he needs to work on his press and play 40 minutes of hell in order to win. He is probably recruiting that way. If he schedules UCONN and he can't play the same style because UCONN will be up by 40 after 3, - if he can't work on playing 40 minutes of hell - then what's the point of playing against UCONN? I don't get how you can even think score is an iota of concern. DePaul WAS PRESSING UCONN. Bruno knows he is not going beat UCONN with that style. So if you don't let him play that style for 40 minutes - then he has no use to ever schedule a game vs your team ever again. Just as UCONN works on their halfcourt offense so much -- Bruno is looking to play (and recruit) for a run-and-gun. The score vs UCONN is completely irrelevant imo for a team like DePaul who had no real intentions of winning vs UCONN.

UCONN has the luxury of "calling off the dogs." But DePaul's style - they are a bubble type team that needs to work every minute on playing their un-orthodox style. You want a bet Geno will play him again and you want a bet Doug will do it again? DePaul signed up for the game too knowing they would get wiped out yet even played pressure ball - pushing pace. They felt imo regardless of the score THEY would PLAY THEIR STYLE. Not have UCONN determine DePaul's style. DePaul is trying to get better too using their style. They aren't going to slowdown vs anyone. It's probably a recruiting tool he uses too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm with milford and anyone else that was okay with what DePaul did. A team like DePaul knows they are going to get thumped. They say "we still are going to play the same way," then all of a sudden because UCONN chooses to let up, that DePaul whose style is to never let up - they have to change because "UCONN says so?" For DePaul the fact they even scheduled the game tells us that they don't give a damn about the score. They know they are going to get wiped out. Bruno is playing a style in which he needs to work on his press and play 40 minutes of hell in order to win. He is probably recruiting that way. If he schedules UCONN and he can't play the same style because UCONN will be up by 40 after 3, - if he can't work on playing 40 minutes of hell - then what's the point of playing against UCONN? I don't get how you can even think score is an iota of concern. DePaul WAS PRESSING UCONN. Bruno knows he is not going beat UCONN with that style. So if you don't let him play that style for 40 minutes - then he has no use to ever schedule a game vs your team ever again. Just as UCONN works on their halfcourt offense so much -- Bruno is looking to play (and recruit) for a run-and-gun. The score vs UCONN is completely irrelevant imo for a team like DePaul who had no real intentions of winning vs UCONN.

UCONN has the luxury of "calling off the dogs." But DePaul's style - they are a bubble type team that needs to work every minute on playing their un-orthodox style. You want a bet Geno will play him again and you want a bet Doug will do it again? DePaul signed up for the game too knowing they would get wiped out yet even played pressure ball - pushing pace. They felt imo regardless of the score THEY would PLAY THEIR STYLE. Not have UCONN determine DePaul's style. DePaul is trying to get better too using their style. They aren't going to slowdown vs anyone. It's probably a recruiting tool he uses too.
I didn't like that DePaul pressed to the end, but I think I understand it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Crystal - she was my POG. I realize KLS scored more, but in the face of relentless pressure, Crystal had only 2 TO's and 9 assists. Her scoring is really good (especially 3 point shooting). Her defense is solid. But the way she runs the team, in control, is otherworldly. IMHO (and this may be controversial because I have no empirical evidence - just my gut impression), she's a better ALL AROUND player than Moriah Jefferson was at the same time in Mo's sophomore season. I am SO absolutely comfortable with the ball in Crystal's hands, and even at her fastest pace, she's literally in control 100% of the time.
Gonna have to disagree here Eric. While I agree Dangerfield is ahead of Jefferson at this point offensively, Jefferson was quite a bit ahead of Dangerfield defensively. And I imagine it will continue to be like that throughout their careers at UCONN. It will be interesting to compare them both after 4 years.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
One other thing I forgot to mention - We had NO starters on the floor for what - the last 3.5-4 minutes? And Depaul continued to press until the end? If it were any other coach, I suspect people would be on here going on about "classless". Even with the shot clock off and less than 10 seconds left on their last possession, Depaul gets the ball and chucks up another 3-point shot.

What if it were Frese or McCallie or Stringer or some other coach who has taken heat from UCONN fans? Why does Bruno get a pass for pulling that kind of stunt in a game against us?
I actually think Bruno gets a pass precisely because he is Bruno. It wouldn't surprise me if there was an understanding, tacit or otherwise, on Geno's part that Bruno wouldn't necessarily relinquish the press just because Geno puts his bench in. I realize it was painful for us to watch as fans, but it was a great learning experience for our bench players. But I don't think it would happen against almost any other team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I actually think Bruno gets a pass precisely because he is Bruno. It wouldn't surprise me if there was an understanding, tacit or otherwise, on Geno's part that Bruno wouldn't necessarily relinquish the press just because Geno puts his bench in. I realize it was painful for us to watch as fans, but it was a great learning experience for our bench players. But I don't think it would happen against almost any other team.
I'm unsure of Doug's motivation, but I agree that he gets a pass because he is unquestionably Geno's buddy. If Geno's not upset, I'm not either.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
The Ugly:

Traditionally coach never allowed things to become garbage time...

Always had a starter or 2 [guards] lead for a couple minutes and let subs get settled...before final subs entered at the 2 minute mark...

I would have rewatch but seemed like a quick transition to the end of the bench and chaos ensued...

Credit Depaul with some of that but was surprised bench did not respond and reel thing's in...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom