UConn vs. DePaul post game | The Boneyard

UConn vs. DePaul post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Heck of a first half. And it would have been even worse if UCONN had scored on numerous layups that were missed. But what a first half!!
  • DePaul came out and scored a quick 11 points over the first 3 minutes or so with three 3-pointer, but only scored 10 points over the remaining 17 minutes. That's INSANE.
  • As Geno said at halftime - any time you can hold a team who averages 75 PPG to 21 in a quarter, your defense is ON POINT.
  • The team forced 18 TO's in the first half and DePaul averages ONLY 15 per game.
  • 3 point shooting was off, especially for Ash, but that first quarter was an offensive explosion.
  • 13-13 on FT's in the first half. Aaliyah was 10-10! 23-24 for the game. That has to be a record for UConn.
  • Paige was EVERYWHERE. Offense, defense, just an absolutely tremendous half - NOT just from scoring.
  • Aaliyah BATTLED. We really got a chance to see her moves and offensive arsenal in the post.
UConn came out strong again to start Q3, but once Geno started putting the reserves in (starting with Q and Ines), and they did really well. How great for Q, Amari, and Ines to be able to spell Paige, Aaliyah and Nika for part of Q3 and all of Q4, and still be competitive? Reserves outscored DePaul by 5 in Q4!!!
  • Paige - unbelievable as always. Another NPOY caliber game
  • Aaliyah - really showed off her post repertoire and battled
  • I thought Nika was really terrific. Unsung "hero" for her defense on DePaul's guards.
  • Ashlynn had a bit of a rough shooting day from 3, but still managed 21 points, oh and 7 boards! She never stops working hard. LOVE her game.
  • KK with no points except from the FT line but what she did so well wasn't part of her scoring - she was the lead PG much of the time with the staters on the floor, and ended up with 4 steals, 5 assists, and 4 boards. LOVE her game too!
  • Brady did some nice things looking comfortable, but also some sloppy things including 5 TO's and fouling out.
  • There is NO reason Q should be jacking up a 3 partway into the shot clock from 5 feet beyond the arc. Forcing way too much. But...
  • Amari and Ines (and Q) helped the team hold their own (and then some) against DePaul's starters for an entire quarter. 8 points and 5 boards for Amari! WooHoo!!
Bottom line this game was over by the end of Q1, and well out of reach by halftime. A great game for the starters to get rest and the reserves to really have some time to play together and do some nice things! Defense was incredible, everyone not only ate, but contributed. Total team effort! Geno and the team should be super happy (as should the fans)!!!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Muhl on Peoples? Sorry about your luck Anaya. Zero points when guarded by Nika.

DePaul is a perfect example of a school that can’t compete with the transfer portal and NIL They just don’t have the talent to match up with UCONN.

I know Caitlin Clark is getting the national commercials and a media darling (and a great player) but I tend to think Paige is better. Paige is a little more consistent and more versatile.

Foul shooting has taken a noticeable upturn. The missed layup issue has returned at least for today.

There are probably some places that are comparable but the home atmosphere at UCONN is consistently the best in the country. A knowledgable, loud crowd that mostly stays until the end.

Ines didn't play great but wow does she have quick hands.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’ve gotta give it up for the underclassmen today. They gave valuable minutes that let Paige, Aaliyah, and Nika get lots of rest.

Amari! You could see her confidence growing as the game went on. Keep it up, kiddo!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
0D2DAA52-8444-4695-A3AF-E5814CDB2236.jpeg

Reaction Score
Paige did Paige things 20 pts on 7-10 shooting 5 rebounds 5 assists 4 steals.
Aaliyah did Aaliyah things 18 pts on 4-7 and 10-10 from the free throw line.
Ash did Ash things 21 pts on 8-19 and 7 rebounds.

And maybe best of all, Amari scored 8 pts on 3-5 and 5 rebounds.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on today’s game:
  • If you took a BY poll on who their favorite coach is in the BE, not named Geno, I suspect Doug Bruno would win hands down. He is creative, knowledgeable, worked side-by-side with Geno to deliver 2 Olympic gold medals for USA Basketball and is just a great guy. But the portal and NIL have hit DePaul hard, so today’s game did not feature another battle of the Titans between Morrow and Aliyah, shortchanging WBB fans everywhere.
  • You gotta love it when UConn does one of their mini-runs in the 1st qtr, scoring 3 baskets while forcing a couple of turnovers in 23 seconds, leading to a DePaul timeout? When the teams came back on the court, UConn reeled off another 12 straight points and…..well….the game was basically over. :oops:
  • With no one really capable of guarding her, Aaliyah was poised to have a big game and she certainly didn’t disappoint, although most of her 18 points came from the FT line as DePaul hacked her repeatedly.
  • There was also a mismatch at power forward ;) where Paige had yet another ridiculously efficient game, with 20 pts on 10 shots, to go along with 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, 0 turnovers in a little over 20 minutes of play.
  • Nika with another Nika-like game, continuing her relentless march to UConn’s all-time assist record with 6 assists today while creating a nightmare for Anaya Peoples, DePaul’s leading scorer, holding her scoreless in the 1st half. Peoples ended up with 8 pts for the game, mostly with Nika on the bench, on 2/10 shooting, fouling out in the 4th qtr.
  • Not much to complain about today: suffocating defense (27 DePaul turnovers), great ball movement (23 assists) and 23 straight makes from the FT line, until Q missed one in the 4th qtr. I guess the only possible complaint would be that the Huskies shot only 3/14 from the arc (21%).
  • Ines with another one of her patented hustle steals from behind. She must barely touch the floor when she runs, like a bunny rabbit, so that opposing players can’t hear her coming up from behind. :rolleyes:
  • When UConn has an ‘Everyone Eats” game like today, there really should be some kind of a free food giveaway for the fans, like Chick-fil-a, Big Mac, Dunkin Donuts, whatever…..:)
  • Ashlynn developing more ways to score the basketball, increasingly attacking the basket, lead the Huskies in scoring with 21 pts.
  • Amari with I believe a career high 8 pts!!! :D
  • Next up, perhaps the last real opportunity for anyone in the BE to beat UConn this season with a trip to Milwaukee to face Marquette. But the Golden Eagles have lost 3 of their last 6 conference games and they will need a monumental effort to take down the Huskies on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doug Bruno, with his sad and angry face, should just cry and get it over with!
If I had a game called against me that way I'd be upset as well. Unusual to see UConn get the benefit of such one-sided officiating like this fora change but thanks anyway: it does not even out.

Reaction Score
I was traveling, so could only listen to the game not watch. But I was impressed by the FTs, tough play in the paint, assists, and having multiple high scorers. Plus it was nice to be able to have Ines and Amari get on the floor for many minutes.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Way to bounce back shade after an off game last Wednesday. Leading scorer and Geno said in the on-court interview after the game that she gets a lot of minutes because he trusts her. Shade was also SNY player of the game. One of the few that won't go to Paige.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak