Uconn vs. BC... next year??? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Uconn vs. BC... next year???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To be fair, the overwhelming majority of unoccupied blue and red spaces equaled empty bcu-umess game time seats. For the 2 schools' administrations and athletic departments alike, the low, in-state attendance must have been extremely disappointing to devastating.
Agree wholeheartedly, for everything they put into it, and for two in-state "rivals" the attendance numbers were woeful. Just wanted to point out that the game wasn't as empty as the picture above it may have insinuated. Attendance for UMass home games at Gillette has been brutal.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The BC-UMass crowd total was more a product of UMass football not being popular, the game being a rather blah matchup, and increased apathy towards the BC program at the time. I don't know that BC-UConn would sell 68K to Gillette, but 45-50 would be very achievable I think. The other problem is Gillette is VERY annoying to get to for everyone involved. It was built in a terrible location.

At the time? The game was just played last year. They were capitalizing on Williams' Heisman run and were marketing the heck out of Tyler Murphy, let alone the Battle for the Commonwealth (that they knew they would win). I think an important metric is tickets made available vs. purchased and used. I can't find that info. Remember, UConn-Army at Yankee Stadium was only only sold 27-something thousand total, so precedent does not currently support opening more sections.

I concluded a similar number to your 45-50k. I wrote that earlier in this thread, followed up with a question on why BC would agree to it. Why would they pay rent for Gillette (where they would barely recoup their costs? Gillette sells beer, but it's doubtful they would get a cut of the concession), while their home stadium (which they can't sell it out in their own right) supports about the same number of estimated attendees.

Re: Location, I'd prefer Gillette. Compared to Alumni Stadium and all that goes along with it, Gillette is a football game day experience field of dreams. First, they widened Route 1 and if you get to Gillette early, you can at least tailgate. It is virtually impossible for home fans, let alone visitors, to do anything in Newton that we have become remotely accustomed to. The T stops every 46 feet on Comm. Ave. and good luck finding parking if you drive it. According to the article I posted yesterday, The idea of tailgating for a single game ticket holder involved a Hefty garbage bag, an ice machine, a 30 pack of swill, and a nearby street corner. All that said, Gillette doesn't make sense monetarily. BC owns Alumni and would be able to control ticket allocation. Even if & when UConn fans force a sell out, they would have to get tickets in some way, shape, or form through the BC ticket office.

The only solution really is a home and home series with a buyout so big it would choke an elephant, and based on those games, discuss a neutral-site.
Agree wholeheartedly, for everything they put into it, and for two in-state "rivals" the attendance numbers were woeful. Just wanted to point out that the game wasn't as empty as the picture above it may have insinuated. Attendance for UMass home games at Gillette has been brutal.
I never meant to insinuate that the photo I posted was from BC-UMass. My point is that Gillette typically makes available only about a 1/4 of the stadium for UMass. The fact that BC-UMass only sold 30-something-000 is more proof they wouldn't makes more than 45-50k available and even that seems high right now. In a round-about way, I think we are saying similar things.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And yet the powers that be complain that only a few thousand UConn fans made it to the Fiesta bow in Arizona...
That was the perception because only a few thousand purchased through UConn. If memory serves, they encouraged (if not required) purchasers to buy an inflated travel package...during a recession...

Last edited:

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
In the era of national conference realignment, this game makes far too much sense, logistically and economically. There's bad blood, at least on our side, and it's a drivable game for not only fans but also the players and coaches (no flights).
There's bad blood on both sides. There's a reason BC fans blow up our comment sections whenever we post UConn articles. We post them all the time for the free clicks *thumbs up*

Half the fans are ready for it to happen and half claim they don't care about UConn. And yet they come out of the woodwork to make a comment to make sure people know they don't care.

People are starting to come around. Part of it is that people are realizing Bates and Daz don't want to make the OOC schedule particularly difficult, and they are getting bored with games against teams like New Mexico State. People say it's NMSU's fault that we had to play Howard at the last minute this year, but the bigger problem is that we had NMSU scheduled in the first place. I am the biggest Daz/Bates fan you'll find anywhere but they've really dropped the ball on scheduling. The USC home & home was DeFilippo and the Ohio State home & home we have in 5 years or so is the only P5 team we have scheduled right now.

It wasn't 3 years ago that I was completely against playing UConn, because UConn and I hate you. But then we played UMass last year, another team where a sizable chunk of BC fans pretend not to care, and it was the most fun I've had at a football game in years.

When I think of the years off my life I'm going to lose getting worked up about playing UConn... that's what makes it exciting.

God I hate you guys.

Salzano is good people.
Whoa whoa whoa let's not go saying things we can't take back lol

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
YES. I hate you too! Hate is SO MUCH more fun than apathy! The sooner both sides realize, the better. Rutgers, Syracuse too.

Reaction Score
People say it's NMSU's fault that we had to play Howard at the last minute this year, but the bigger problem is that we had NMSU scheduled in the first place.
Who in their right mind thought that was a good idea? You couldn't accomplish the same one-off home game against a FBS pasty from the MAC? Oh, you already have the rest of the MAC scheduled.

But really, how did that come about?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Who in their right mind thought that was a good idea? You couldn't accomplish the same one-off home game against a FBS pasty from the MAC? Oh, you already have the rest of the MAC scheduled.

But really, how did that come about?

Get this. It was a home and home with the first game played AT New Mexico State. NMSU then bought out the second game :p

Reaction Score
Get this. It was a home and home with the first game played AT New Mexico State. NMSU then bought out the second game :p

Because they wanted to upgrade their schedule.

Reaction Score
There's bad blood on both sides. There's a reason BC fans blow up our comment sections whenever we post UConn articles. We post them all the time for the free clicks *thumbs up*

Listening to a BC fan say there's bad blood with UConn is like listening to a girl who cheated on her boyfriend and then broke up with him cry about it.

You guys lied like a rug, and the ACC turned you down. Then you said you were committed to us, and then you lied again, and the ACC took you back.

Then it came time to take 1-2 more eastern schools and we -- after making a BCS game that had eluded you (Diamond Ferri), after winning our third hoops title in 13 seasons, after winning about 968 in a row in women's hoops, after making the college baseball super regionals, etc. -- were the prime candidate, until your little water rat of an AD peed in the punch bowl. Now we've got homecoming versus USF and a home finale versus Houston to go with our 14 titles in hoops and countless major leaguers and the best field hockey program in the history of the sport.

So, pardon me if I question whether you have, or should have, any bad blood. I'm just not buying it.

Hope to see you guys next fall.

Salzano14

Deep in enemy territory
Reaction Score
Listening to a BC fan say there's bad blood with UConn is like listening to a girl who cheated on her boyfriend and then broke up with him cry about it.

You guys lied like a rug, and the ACC turned you down. Then you said you were committed to us, and then you lied again, and the ACC took you back.

Then it came time to take 1-2 more eastern schools and we -- after making a BCS game that had eluded you (Diamond Ferri), after winning our third hoops title in 13 seasons, after winning about 968 in a row in women's hoops, after making the college baseball super regionals, etc. -- were the prime candidate, until your little water rat of an AD peed in the punch bowl. Now we've got homecoming versus USF and a home finale versus Houston to go with our 14 titles in hoops and countless major leaguers and the best field hockey program in the history of the sport.

So, pardon me if I question whether you have, or should have, any bad blood. I'm just not buying it.

Hope to see you guys next fall.
lol u mad

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
UConn and BC should play each year. But there are petty people involved and I'm convinced it will never happen in my lifetime.

Reaction Score
we played UMass last year, another team where a sizable chunk of BC fans pretend not to care, and it was the most fun I've had at a football game in years.

I agree. More New England schools should play one another, whenever possible. BC- Harvard.... Uconn- BC...... BC- Umass...... Umass- Uconn...... Yale- Uconn..... BC- Yale, etc.

For 95% of the last 35 years, BC has been far and away the best College Football Program in N.E. .... pretty much the same way that for the last 35 years, for 95% of the time, Uconn Basketball has been far and away the best college basketball program in N.E. The fact that Jim Calhoun did not want to see Uconn play BC anymore in football, and that people at BC did not want to play Uconn anymore in football is silly. Play the games. Uconn is 0-13-1 lifetime vs. BC in football. My guess, Uconn would rarely beat BC in football in the future too, imo. I believe however that BC and Uconn will eventually set aside their respective School's grievances aside with one another and will schedule a game or 2 down the road. Hope so, anyway.

Reaction Score
I agree. More New England schools should play one another, whenever possible. BC- Harvard.... Uconn- BC. BC- Umass. Umass- Uconn. Yale- Uconn..... BC- Yale, etc.

For 95% of the last 35 years, BC has been far and away the best College Football Program in N.E. .... pretty much the same way that for the last 35 years, for 95% of the time, Uconn Basketball has been far and away the best college basketball program in N.E. The fact that Jim Calhoun did not want to see Uconn play BC anymore in football, and that people at BC did not want to play Uconn anymore in football is silly. Play the games. Uconn is 0-13-1 lifetime vs. BC in football. My guess, Uconn would rarely beat BC in football in the future too, imo. I believe however that BC and Uconn will eventually set aside their respective School's grievances aside with one another and will schedule a game or 2 down the road. Hope so, anyway.

Agree 100 % with your first statement. UCONN should face BC every year, it would be a great series to get going again. I would much rather face BC then then some of the out of conference teams we currently face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom