UCONN vs Baylor - How they match up | The Boneyard

UCONN vs Baylor - How they match up

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
1616992229537.png

Reaction Score
They look like taller than the stat, and I think they have the height advantage. So I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
No way can you give edge to Westbrook over what could be two time national defensive player of the year. I know she was great against Iowa but her body of work shows that’s more of an outlier than typical.

they are gonna need everyone as this is the most physical team in the tournament.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Our team situation, with Nika out, reminds me of our 2 freshmen back in the 2009 tournament. Caroline was a starter and she went down during the Big East Tourney Tiffany stepped in and became the starter throughout the rest of Big East and NCAA. I remember my concerns, when that happened. Tiff took over and we never looked back. It's very sad to see Nika on the bench but we have AE to step right in. I have a "nervously comfortable" (if that's possible) feeling we're going to be fine. These kids not only play well together they are having the time of their lives, on the court. That fun factor may be the unseen advantage.
For those of us jumping out of our chairs and screaming at the TV, it's been a hoot! I love these kids and their care free ball playing.

Reaction Score
Our team situation, with Nika out, reminds me of our 2 freshmen back in the 2009 tournament. Caroline was a starter and she went down during the Big East Tourney Tiffany stepped in and became the starter throughout the rest of Big East and NCAA. I remember my concerns, when that happened. Tiff took over and we never looked back. It's very sad to see Nika on the bench but we have AE to step right in. I have a "nervously comfortable" (if that's possible) feeling we're going to be fine. These kids not only play well together they are having the time of their lives, on the court. That fun factor may be the unseen advantage.
For those of us jumping out of our chairs and screaming at the TV, it's been a hoot! I love these kids and their care free ball playing.

Didn't Caroline go down with that devastating ACL injury during a regular season game at Syracuse? I'll never stop thinking of what could have been had Caroline and Tiffany gone through their four years together healthy: Tiffany with her slash to the basket style, and Caroline with her unerring outside shot. What could have been....

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Smith, Carrington, and Ursin provide most of the offense, but disrupting Didi, to me, is the key to the game and that is where we are most going to miss Nika. Didi, who I really respect as a person, is a vertical player. She stands up straight and tall but that means she has a high bounce. A perfect situation for Nika and her ability to poke, steal, and score. One or two of those early will cause Didi to start her offense early and make the initial passes more difficult. Christyn is no slouch on the defensive end and will discomfit Didi greatly.

I don't know if we have an answer for Smith. So perhaps the focus is taking away Moon and/or Dijonae. Perhaps Geno will put Christyn on Moon an E on Carrington?

Reaction Score
Smith, Carrington, and Ursin provide most of the offense, but disrupting Didi, to me, is the key to the game and that is where we are most going to miss Nika. Didi, who I really respect as a person, is a vertical player. She stands up straight and tall but that means she has a high bounce. A perfect situation for Nika and her ability to poke, steal, and score. One or two of those early will cause Didi to start her offense early and make the initial passes more difficult. Christyn is no slouch on the defensive end and will discomfit Didi greatly.

I don't know if we have an answer for Smith. So perhaps the focus is taking away Moon and/or Dijonae. Perhaps Geno will put Christyn on Moon an E on Carrington?
I was thinking that too - the high dribble would have been something that Nika could exploit. Or at least get DiDi thinking about it, so she turned her body more to protect the ball, making it harder to deliver passes. But we’ll have to figure an alternate plan and Paige, E, AG, etc will have to disrupt her a little and provide good help D if needed.

Reaction Score
I think the key on our end is rebounding. Edwards and ONO need to play bigger than Egbo and Smith to limit Baylor second chances. I expect us to pack the paint and force Baylor to score from the perimeter. They are capable but it’s not their normal game plan. I think our 3 guards should outplay their 3 guards. But every matchup on the court is pretty darn even.

Reaction Score

I completely agree. This game is going to be won or lost on whether Didi is able to run offense. If we can disrupt and rush what she wants to do, I just don't think they will be able to score enough points to beat us regardless of how good Smith plays. Front court players need guards to get them the ball.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Fairfield: I think that was Mel Thomas with the ACL at Syracuse.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
and UConn?

Well....UCONN will score 83

It's not predictable at all as to where those points will come from. Whereas, with Baylor you can take it to the bank where and how much each player will contribute.

Reaction Score
No way can you give edge to Westbrook over what could be two time national defensive player of the year. I know she was great against Iowa but her body of work shows that’s more of an outlier than typical.

they are gonna need everyone as this is the most physical team in the tournament.
I too give edge to Evina. Richards a very good defender but suspect as a PG. E very good both ways and has better help at guard position.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score

How about these stats:
- Points........Westbrook 10 Richards 5
- Assists.......Westbrook 5 Richards 4
- Rebounds..Westbrook 5 Richards 5

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member